Shoutbox

API calls and VB6 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: API calls and VB6 (/showthread.php?tid=15056)

API calls and VB6 by wipey on 09-01-2003 at 06:18 PM

can someone help me as to how to use API's and VB 6, docs tuts references anything!

RE: API calls and VB6 by Wabz on 09-01-2003 at 06:24 PM

Theres some good tutorials on the net just search for them on google.  API calls vary from program to program as well

RE: API calls and VB6 by wipey on 09-01-2003 at 06:27 PM

thanx I'm reading them now:)

RE: API calls and VB6 by wipey on 09-01-2003 at 10:12 PM

I jus need to know the kinds of things that can be done with them really:S

RE: API calls and VB6 by ng on 09-01-2003 at 10:26 PM

download the API-Guide on http://www.allapi.net ;-)

RE: API calls and VB6 by Wouter on 09-02-2003 at 04:00 PM

Api = +o(

RE: API calls and VB6 by Xerxis on 09-02-2003 at 04:21 PM

what's wrong with the api wouter, it's just the windows core. you can do a lot with it if you know a bit about windows programming

RE: API calls and VB6 by Wouter on 09-02-2003 at 05:48 PM

yes thats right but it's BUGGY ;)
belive me 8-|

RE: API calls and VB6 by Xerxis on 09-02-2003 at 05:49 PM

i use more api functions then anything else, and most of them aren't buggy if you use them like you should

RE: RE: API calls and VB6 by Choli on 09-02-2003 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wipey
I jus need to know the kinds of things that can be done with them really:S

If you can't do some thing with API, you can't do it. Windows provides a lot of functions (more than 900) that help to the programmers to make more things with their programms. In fact, all programms call at least one API. All the things a program does, like open files, play sounds, show windows, etc... are done through API, althrough you don't call APIs explicitly in your program.
quote:
Originally posted by [Wouter]
Api = +o(

APIs are needed. Imagine you are in VB and want to change the caption of your window. Just type Form1.Caption = "New text". Easy, isn't it? Well, now suppose you want to change the text of a window that you don't below. A window of other program. What can you do? You can't use the .Caption property. You need API.

I suggest you to read this article: http://www.pietschsoft.com/programming/vbapi/articles/intro/index.html or, at least, the 1st point.
RE: API calls and VB6 by wipey on 09-02-2003 at 08:33 PM

I agree, I've only used the registry api's so far and have to agree they've made alot of sense and have helped me a hell of a lot with VB, infact I've had no annoying little problems at all like I usually do with VB.
API's are the way to do anything in windows, they're just soooooo fucking useful:P:D

(sorry if I'm a bit ott tonite, I've jus started on my nicotine patches:()