Shoutbox

Multi-Language Support -- *Who can translate* Plus! into it's own language? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Multi-Language Support -- *Who can translate* Plus! into it's own language? (/showthread.php?tid=1533)

Multi-Language Support -- *Who can translate* Plus! into it's own language? by Menthix on 09-27-2002 at 09:31 PM

It's official, as Patchou said: Multi-Language Support is comming in Plus! 2.00. So we will all be able to view Plus! in our own language in the next version of Plus.

But, if we want to do that we need people which can translate all the texts that are in Plus! to his own langauge.
So... International Plus users, we need your help!

All you we ask you to do is just translating pure text into one of the languages below, you won't have to code or have understanding of developing software or any... just plain translating.

Patchou explains how it works:

quote:
Basically, all you'll have to do is request the file to translate, it's like a big txt file... when it's done, you send it back to me and it's part of the software! of course, we won't do that before the final version is ready to be released, you don't want to translate the same stuff again and again right?  ... also, when you versions will be released, I'll send you only the differences between the two versions so that you don't have to translate it again.
So, If you are interested in translating Plus! into your own language and making Plus! more accesable for your language's people by that, then post a reply right here, or mail me directly at msgpluforum@xs4all.nl and tell me into which language you could translate Plus. Also don't hesitate if you have questions.

We are searching people which can translate in one of the following languages (same languages as MSN is distubuted in):

Arabic, Brazilian, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish or Turkish

Please keep in mind that the language you want to translate in should be your primary language which you speak and write at home, and that you should be able to manage correct spelling.

I posted this only to see if there are enough people around willing to translate, no actual translating is done yet until Patchou finished 2.0.
[no subject] by reisyboy on 09-27-2002 at 09:40 PM

chrono will do one :-P also i got a German mate i see if he will translate that if you like.

[no subject] by shine on 09-28-2002 at 06:22 AM

Do you need any other languages other than that? :grin:

[no subject] by jaber on 09-28-2002 at 09:30 AM

i know filipino(Tagalog) i can translate perfectly Philippines Official Language

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 09-28-2002 at 11:50 AM

How about geordie? :grin:

[no subject] by WDZ on 09-28-2002 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
How about geordie? :grin: 
You've gotta do a geordie version!! That would be funny... :grin:
[no subject] by ginge on 09-28-2002 at 03:37 PM

How is Patchou going to implement the multilanguage thing?

From my experience with both PhatSkinner and Msg++ and reading of the GNU GetText sources I have found that if you let users modify the translations on their machine then it is a lot easier for the translators. If it reads the translations from a file then people could add funny translations, while if they were hard-coded into the program it becomes more of an issue because every translation takes up space in the program.

Just curious ;)

[no subject] by Menthix on 09-28-2002 at 05:53 PM

From what i undetstood from Patchou's post somewhere in the "i'm alive" topic it will be hard-coded. Not sure tough

[no subject] by ginge on 09-28-2002 at 05:58 PM

I would strongly recommend against that, as it creates more work for Patchou, more work for the translators, and makes the code less readable (if he's going to do it the way I think he is), and hampers "fun" languages (I don't want a 2Gb DLL with 2000 fun languages, but I wouldn't mind giving Geordie a try, I've already used the Geordie Windoze simulator ;))

Would it be useful to have a forum for the deep technical issues in Plus! ? Maybe so Patchou can request help on Plus!, and help it along quicker.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 09-28-2002 at 10:05 PM

I have told mess.be so hopefully some people will coem to here and tell us if ytehy can transalte it.

[no subject] by Menthix on 09-29-2002 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jaber
i know filipino(Tagalog) i can translate perfectly Philippines Official Language
Thank you, but i think the list above is good enough. MSN itself doesn't appear in filipino, so Plus won't have users that can only read filipino and not english. Thanks anyway.

Reisyboy, thank you

Ginge, tech forum huh, hmmm... let's see what Patchou thinks about that.
[no subject] by burabura on 10-04-2002 at 05:32 PM

I'm a fanatic of Quick Text features. (Alt 1~9)

If I can be a help to you, I would be happy ;)

Yeah there is a Korean version of MSN messenger and it would be nice if Plus! is also localized to Korean.

(Guess what country I'm living now..)

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-04-2002 at 08:16 PM

burabura, i added you to the list. You, as well as all the other translators which applied will be recieving a mail whitin the next 48 hours with all the details you'll need to know.

[no subject] by richard2002 on 10-04-2002 at 09:47 PM

I've already used the Geordie Windoze simulator ;))

where did u get the simulator i think it would be funny to give to some one wot the webpage for it and the system requrements

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-05-2002 at 05:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
chrono will do one

He is right :grin:
Spanish :wink:
Translation *UPDATE* by Menthix on 10-06-2002 at 10:01 PM

Okay, first of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST IN TRANSLATING PLUS!
I just went trough all the submitions i've got for translating Plus! and mailed everybody back as much as i could. Some statics:

People that are willing to translate:198
(I think it's actually something like 215, but i acedently deleted a few :S)

Languages which we found translators for:
Arabic
Chinese simplified
Chinese traditional
Danish
Dutch
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Spanish
Swedish
Turkish

And some people were asking me if we also supported other languages, i asked Patchou and he thinks that's fine. So, languages not listed we found translators for:
Catalan
Hindi
Tagalog
Icelandic

Some languages seem to have alot of people. To keep everything clear and easy we will not accept more then 10 persons for one language. This team of maximum 10 can translate one language together. If we have more then 10 people for a language, we will not accept new transltors. Languages which we do not accept new submittions for anymore:
Dutch
French
Spanish

Even tough we already recieved 200 mails, we are still missing some languages that we listed. Languages we still need:
Czech
Hebrew
Hungarian
Russian
Slovak
Slovenian

Thank you all for your enourmous support, i know Patchou apreciates it very very much. If you're reading this, and you would like to translate Plus yourself, we are especially looking for people which can translate into Czech, Hebrew, Hungarian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian and any other language that was NOT listed in the first post of this topic.
Translators for other listed languages are still welcome to support the translators we already found, as long as it's not Dutch, Franch or Spanish.

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-06-2002 at 11:12 PM

Errrr It will be hard to translate with other people... how will we do it ?

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-07-2002 at 05:33 AM

Well, as you probaly saw i your mailbox... one person is the main translator (your''re the one for Spanish). The main translator is the one who will actually get the languagefile, together wit a list of email/MSN adresses of people who applied for the same language as you. You're the one that decides wether you translate the whole thing yourself, and after that let those people show it so they can correct errors.
OR you dicide to chop the languagefile in pieces and give a little part to translate to everybody on that list. As long as you send back a correctly translated file at the end. Ok?

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-07-2002 at 05:56 PM

CAN I DO A BRUMMIE VERSION :D

Eh? by Captain Ghost on 10-08-2002 at 01:17 AM

What about Canadian eh?? :-P Heh heh.

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-08-2002 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jae_x777
(I think it's actually something like 215, but i acedently deleted a few :S)
hehe... man. :P

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
CAN I DO A BRUMMIE VERSION :D
Brummie? What? Add a few 'z' on the end of stuff and call it a language, jeesh, I dont know. Geordie, now thats a real language! :grin:
[no subject] by Patchou on 10-08-2002 at 02:00 PM

hey, I didn't saw this topic before. Canadian? lol, yeah of course... I'll also add Al Bhed and Hut to the list (the first being able to tell me where those two languages com from wins a prize  :wink: )

Now... Ginge Ginge Ginge.... if you were more near to me, I would ask you to join me in the MP2 coding :). To answer to your question, lol, OF COURSE I won't hard code 20 LANGUAGES in my source!!!!! are you sick?!?!  :grin:

The text file I'll send to translators are simply resource files containg a string table where my software will go to pick it's string. So, in fact, absolutly no text, even english, will be in the code. All these string tables will be compiled in one unique DLL file distributed with all versions of Plus!.... anyway, the setup is compressed and this is text... I hope you won't matter an increase of 10 or 20Kb to add a support for all our pals around the world ;)

Patchou.

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-08-2002 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'll also add Al Bhed and Hut to the list (the first being able to tell me where those two languages com from wins a prize  :wink: )

well... you can use this to convert it, I know that much. :P

http://www.squarextreme.com/~robert/al-bhed.html

:grin:

now what do i win? :tongue:

EDIT: something from final fantasy? :undecided:
[no subject] by Chrono on 10-12-2002 at 04:22 AM

Understood Jae :wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Jae_x777
(your''re the one for Spanish).

Hehe, GREAT ! :grin:
[no subject] by Muss on 10-12-2002 at 05:01 AM

If I am not mistaken, Al ?Bhed is the language that those people in FFX speak, you collect cyrstal thingys and you are able to learn and understand their language.

Hut, isn't that from previous FF games?

[edit]

Blitz ball is cool :grin:, the jeht shot looks very cool aswell :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-13-2002 at 03:30 AM

Yep, Al Behd was from Final Fantasy... Hut, well, by itself it was too difficult... Jabba the Hut maybe would help you more ;)

[no subject] by Muss on 10-13-2002 at 09:37 AM

Well then  :rolleyes:

Star wars then  :grin:

I was thinking that, but quickly dismissed it because it seemed to obvious  :embarrassed:

Dutch (Nederlands) by My-life on 10-27-2002 at 09:44 PM

I wil be happy 2 transulate Some lines in 2 my own language, Dutch.
:grin: If U send me some text I will change it into "Nederlands" and send it back 2 U.

Down worry  :shocked: my Dutch isn't so bad as my English.

Give me a mail (my-life@wanadoo.nl)