Shoutbox

Development Timeline? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Development Timeline? (/showthread.php?tid=16103)

Development Timeline? by brandon on 09-30-2003 at 04:44 AM

How long did it take to develop Messenger Plus? I know it's an on-going thing, but how long did it take to pump out the first edition(s)?

RE: Development Timeline? by BooGhost on 09-30-2003 at 05:07 AM

the first edition was launched more than 2 years ago :-/

and did not have so many features :-/

RE: RE: Development Timeline? by bigru on 09-30-2003 at 06:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
the first edition was launched more than 2 years ago :-/

and did not have so many features :-/

even so it was pretty awesome
RE: Development Timeline? by Sk3tch on 09-30-2003 at 06:13 AM

Well back then plus was still in development, im not sure what Patchou's intentions were at the time but im sure he is proud of his accomplishments. :)

RE: Development Timeline? by reisyboy on 09-30-2003 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sk3tch
Well back then plus was still in development, im not sure what Patchou's intentions were at the time but im sure he is proud of his accomplishments. :)

Whatever happens i am sure plus will rock on ! :grin:

RE: Development Timeline? by Wabz on 10-02-2003 at 04:58 PM

:plus: Has been around for a couple of years and is perhaps seen as the first serious add-on for messenger :plus2: Was released in early January of this year and has went through serveral changes in that time  Patchou has become bolder and more confident over these last 6 months and perhaps will one day work for Microsoft as a feature adder :rolleyes:

RE: Development Timeline? by BooGhost on 10-03-2003 at 04:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wabz
perhaps will one day work for Microsoft as a feature adder
then no need of Plus! :(
then no MsgPlus! Forum to spam :'(

blah it would be nice to have a nice guy like Patchou working on MS Messenger....

RE: Development Timeline? by reisyboy on 10-03-2003 at 05:08 PM

He woudl probably sue our forum to get all his mindmap ideas ;)

RE: Development Timeline? by NiteMare on 10-03-2003 at 08:33 PM

quote:
...and perhaps will one day work for Microsoft as a feature adder :rolleyes:

if that happens, he'll be paid, and theres no telling how far msg plus! will go.
RE: Development Timeline? by Patchou on 10-04-2003 at 07:41 AM

bha.. I'm already paid wih the sponsor program :). But yes, I would be very inerested to work for Microsoft.. I'll see about that if I can't enter University next january.

As for Plus!, my original goal was simply to test system hooks, a technology I read about in an issue of an MSDN Magazine. If Microsoft didn't had sent me this free preview of the magazine more than two years ago, Messenger Plus! would have never existed :)

RE: Development Timeline? by BooGhost on 10-04-2003 at 05:57 PM

:bow: MS :bow: blah.......

correction:

:bow: MS FREE MAGAZINES :bow:

RE: Development Timeline? by NiteMare on 10-05-2003 at 03:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
bha.. I'm already paid wih the sponsor program . But yes, I would be very inerested to work for Microsoft..

but if you work for microsoft then you'll have first hand access to the programming,  no need for the hours trying to outsmart it!
RE: RE: Development Timeline? by Menthix on 10-08-2003 at 07:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by s_lyon87
quote:
bha.. I'm already paid wih the sponsor program . But yes, I would be very inerested to work for Microsoft..

but if you work for microsoft then you'll have first have access to the programming,  no need for the hours trying to outsmart it!

But on the other hand... when working for Microsoft... Microsoft will decide the rules and they might not agree with all of Patchou's ideas, anyways, it would be stupid not to let Microsoft pay you for your hard work :)
RE: Development Timeline? by WDZ on 10-08-2003 at 04:14 PM

Back to the main topic... if you want a "development timeline," check this out... :p :spam:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/history.php

RE: Development Timeline? by Patchou on 10-08-2003 at 06:51 PM

nice page :)

RE: Development Timeline? by user13774 on 10-08-2003 at 06:57 PM

Version 1.00 19-05-2001 :O. Very nice page :wink:

RE: Development Timeline? by Wabz on 10-08-2003 at 09:09 PM

Sweet

quote:
This software is now called "Messenger - Plus! Extension" because the new version of MSN Messenger is called Windows Messenger
What was is called before?
RE: RE: Development Timeline? by Menthix on 10-09-2003 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Sweet

quote:
This software is now called "Messenger - Plus! Extension" because the new version of MSN Messenger is called Windows Messenger
What was is called before?

"MSN Plus!" or "MSN Messenger Plus!" don't remember excactly.....

wow, looking back at those changelogs..... i've been arround since 1.10 :-o
RE: Development Timeline? by surfichris on 10-10-2003 at 12:37 AM

I remember being around since 1.10.. When Plus! was a baby... now look at it :banana:

quote:
I've changed some compilation options and I successfully removed 180KB from the setup package. That's great for those who still receive internet on 56K modems :).
and who are still on 56k modems like myself :P

Its great to see Patchou, that you are still dedicated to you work after all of this time and to prove that, you have a huge database of fans and users.

Chris
RE: Development Timeline? by Patchou on 10-11-2003 at 06:44 AM

thank you Chris, it's even better to see people like you who support me from the beginning :). As for the original name of the software, iut was "The MSN Messenger Plus! Extension" :). I do not encourage anyone to install early versions of the software, you'll probably have very bad results :p

RE: Development Timeline? by Chrono on 10-11-2003 at 07:54 AM

I got MsgPlus version 1.0 :banana:
Havent tried to install it though...

If u are going to work for microsoft, then u have to ask them if u can keep ur forums... and pay the mods and admins :grin:

RE: Development Timeline? by kittyangel on 10-11-2003 at 08:14 PM

I had also started using plus! when the first version of plus! is released. :plus:

I love Messenger Plus! :gfdrin:

RE: Development Timeline? by lizard.boy on 10-11-2003 at 08:29 PM

damn its been a long time i've had plus since 1.20a (as far as i can remeber.. ) found it on mess

RE: Development Timeline? by NiteMare on 10-11-2003 at 11:00 PM

i just got plus about 4 months ago, but i still think it's great

RE: Development Timeline? by BooGhost on 10-12-2003 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
damn its been a long time i've had plus since 1.20a (as far as i can remeber.. ) found it on mess
samne here, and I'm loggin chats since that time :P
RE: Development Timeline? by lopardo on 10-14-2003 at 04:45 AM

quote:
I do not encourage anyone to install early versions of the software, you'll probably have very bad results 

I remember that little options dialog with tabs :) And I was testing Windows XP Spanish :D
RE: Development Timeline? by WDZ on 10-14-2003 at 04:57 AM

[Image: attachment.php?tid=16103&pid=145744]

:banana:

RE: Development Timeline? by Chrono on 10-14-2003 at 05:04 AM

Personal Spanish version of Plus 1.42b :banana:

(Sorry about the ugly green :P I used to like it:P)

[Image: attachment.php?tid=16103&pid=145747]

RE: Development Timeline? by BiZaRrE on 10-14-2003 at 05:46 AM

i've been using messenger plus! from the very beginning (though i only joined the forums last month:P) and I LOVE IT!!! and i always will:D. but i stopped using it for a while when i had msn 6 and it wasn't compatible with it, so during that time i was hoping that Patchou would pull it through so i could have both msn 6 and messenge plus!, and he did!

:bow:THANKS PATCHOU!!:bow:

RE: Development Timeline? by reisyboy on 10-14-2003 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I got MsgPlus version 1.0

OOOO please :D can i have it Chrono ;):D
RE: Development Timeline? by lizard.boy on 10-14-2003 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
quote:
samne here, and I'm loggin chats since that time :P
same and using most of the other fetures too.
RE: Development Timeline? by Chrono on 10-15-2003 at 04:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
OOOO please  can i have it Chrono 

I dont think that u will be able to install it :P

RE: Development Timeline? by jordanspringer on 10-15-2003 at 03:58 PM

i was checking out the version history of messenger plus and WOW there are sooo many new features and changes! thats a great page! one question, in messengerplus 1.0 what is The Auto Appear Offline feature ???? j/w?

RE: Development Timeline? by Wabz on 10-15-2003 at 10:00 PM

It means you automatically appear offline when you login :|

RE: Development Timeline? by NiteMare on 10-19-2003 at 04:16 PM

why was it taken off?

RE: Development Timeline? by Tochjo on 10-19-2003 at 04:24 PM

From the FAQ:

Why Messenger Plus! doesn't have feature X? I know it's possible to do!
Some features are not included in Messenger Plus! for several reasons. Privacy is the first one: no feature will ever be added that could compromise the privacy or the security of your contacts or yourself (examples of such features are block detection schemes, send messages while appearing offline, ...). The second reason is conviviality: preferences panels with too many options are not very user friendly, that's why some minor settings are available only through the registry. The third reason is what could be called "politically correct": I use my own judgement to decide wether or not a feature should be added in Messenger Plus!. One of the reasons why this add-on is so much popular is precisely because I'm doing my best to take good care of it and some options just don't fit in my targeted audience.

RE: Development Timeline? by NiteMare on 10-19-2003 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
From the FAQ:

Some features are not included in Messenger Plus! for several reasons. Privacy is the first one: no feature will ever be added that could compromise the privacy or the security of your contacts or yourself (examples of such features are block detection schemes, send messages while appearing offline, ...). The second reason is conviviality: preferences panels with too many options are not very user friendly, that's why some minor settings are available only through the registry. The third reason is what could be called "politically correct": I use my own judgement to decide wether or not a feature should be added in Messenger Plus!. One of the reasons why this add-on is so much popular is precisely because I'm doing my best to take good care of it and some options just don't fit in my targeted audience.

is this responding to this
quote:
why was it taken off?

RE: Development Timeline? by Tochjo on 10-19-2003 at 04:32 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
From the FAQ:

is this responding to this
quote:
why was it taken off?

Yes, sorry I didn't quote.
RE: Development Timeline? by WDZ on 10-19-2003 at 06:57 PM

quote:
It means you automatically appear offline when you login :|
I thought it automatically changed your status after a period of inactivity... :p
RE: Development Timeline? by jordanspringer on 10-21-2003 at 02:10 PM

because there are SOOO many possible features you can change in plus, yet some are not in the menus becuase there are so many, Patchou should consider making 2 versions -- messenger plus lite and messenger plus pro. more advanced users could easilly access the advanced features within the professional edition of the program instead of tweaking - and possibly damaging the windows registry

RE: Development Timeline? by KnightieBoy on 10-21-2003 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jordanspringer
because there are SOOO many possible features you can change in plus, yet some are not in the menus becuase there are so many, Patchou should consider making 2 versions -- messenger plus lite and messenger plus pro. more advanced users could easilly access the advanced features within the professional edition of the program instead of tweaking - and possibly damaging the windows registry
2 versions, that would be a lot of work for Patchou, people would make the same mistake as they did with the sponsor: they click too fast, so maybe they will install the wrong version..if you don't like something in plus! you can always report it, and what KoalaBlue said :gfdrin:
RE: Development Timeline? by Jeronimo on 10-21-2003 at 03:47 PM

I agree with KoalaBlue. I can't see any reason to make 2 versions. The version we all have is easy to use, and there are a lot of features, but its easy to remember the ones you need.

The only possible reason I could see for making a streamlined version of Plus is to reduce the size of the setup file. Its currently just over 2Mb, so even on a 56k modem, it won't take forever to get.

As for the registry options, they are very specific and 99% of users won't need to touch them. I certainly haven't :)

RE: Development Timeline? by kittyangel on 10-21-2003 at 10:51 PM

I also agree with KoalaBlue and Jeronimo.  I don't touch the registry either.  It makes absolutlely no differnce.  As for the reason, Jeronimo and KoalaBlue has said that clearly, so I will not bother to say it again.

RE: Development Timeline? by dotNorma on 10-21-2003 at 11:05 PM

:O I remember when the sounds where like huge eggs posted on mess.be :P

RE: Development Timeline? by lizard.boy on 10-22-2003 at 12:20 AM

plus wont need any advanced version (but me cant wait for the regrestry importer exporter in 2.5)   i screw with my regrestry all the time  its great to reset ur google toobar popup blocker cound :P its not that hard to do things once u get the hang of it (most people dont even want to try tho)

RE: Development Timeline? by Wabz on 10-22-2003 at 12:38 AM

:plus2: is a huge program in itself it's not made for advanced our simple users it's a program thats accessable to everyone

Wtbw is devolping Freedom to be on a more advanced scale aimed at hardcore users

And theres plently of simplistic tools out there :plus2:  Just appeals to everyone

RE: Development Timeline? by Guido on 10-22-2003 at 02:28 AM

quote:
plus wont need any advanced version (but me cant wait for the regrestry importer exporter in 2.5)   i screw with my regrestry all the time  its great to reset ur google toobar popup blocker cound :P its not that hard to do things once u get the hang of it (most people dont even want to try tho)
what does the plus! preferences importer/exporter have to do with Google toolbar? :-/
quote:
The only possible reason I could see for making a streamlined version of Plus is to reduce the size of the setup file. Its currently just over 2Mb, so even on a 56k modem, it won't take forever to get.
Actually, It wouldn't be reduced much either: things that use most of the space are sounds and bitmaps, and Patchou won't do a separate version without graphics --- obviously (H). Btw, i guess 2.5 will have some kbs more because it has plenty of new graphics.

RE: Development Timeline? by Patchou on 10-22-2003 at 04:59 PM

yep, GFD's right.. in the current version, there's 900KB of bitmaps and 660KB of sounds already :)

RE: Development Timeline? by M-Head on 10-22-2003 at 07:24 PM

dewd! 2001! Well I probably would of installed MSN Messenger Plus! Extension if I knew what I do now about computers, but back I didn't ever have a computer, and when I did get a computer I didnt get the internet until half way through 2002!

But now I'm here, and glad too!

RE: Development Timeline? by lizard.boy on 10-22-2003 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gfd
quote:
what does the plus! preferences importer/exporter have to do with Google toolbar? :-/

absolutely nothing.. i just started to run on.. loli meant i wont have to tweak my regrestry setting every time i switch computers. I have 2 and three passports.. u do the math naw wtf its 6 :P thats alot to keep redoing 
* lizard.boy hopes the importer/exporter works with different accounts... (that or saves as a reg file that i can tweak)
RE: Development Timeline? by Klue2k on 10-23-2003 at 01:41 PM

ahh the good ol days when the first messenger was released.  i still have all those old versions.  hehe :)