Shoutbox

MP2 is progressing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: MP2 is progressing (/showthread.php?tid=1668)

MP2 is progressing by Patchou on 10-11-2002 at 12:56 AM

Hello you!

I know that some monthes ago, I said that I was going to do a new verison of Messenger Plus! and I didn't for several reasons. Well, as you may know now I have created a page on my web site to follow the progress of this new version but I thought that a screenshot could help you "believe" ;).

Below you'll see the result of the new Boss Protection shortcut... this feature has been completly redesigned and, even if you can't see everything on those pictures, you'll see the main result which is: you're safe now, chat!!!!!!

Before:
[Image: before.jpg]

After:
[Image: after.jpg]

[no subject] by shine on 10-11-2002 at 04:37 AM

WOW. This was what I wanted when i posted my first post in this forum.. GR8

Thanks Patchou. Keep it up :happy:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-11-2002 at 05:17 PM

kewl it looks good :-)

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-11-2002 at 05:18 PM

Looks good! (y)

hehe, leave Fraisie's address for us all to see. :P
[no subject] by Menthix on 10-11-2002 at 07:49 PM

Yay, great work :)
Then i can finally do MSN at school again WHITOUT getting caught.

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-11-2002 at 08:43 PM

lol, ops, forgot to remove Fraisie's email... oh well, anyway, as long as I didn't forgot to remove mine ;) j/k

[no subject] by Muss on 10-12-2002 at 02:23 AM

So you press the two buttons, it gets rid of the things put you away/brb etc.

Then how do you get it back??, woudl you have to go into task manager and switch to that process??

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-12-2002 at 04:04 AM

naaa.... didn't you see? the icon of Messenger is not removed, it's modified! to come back, just double click on the icon.

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-12-2002 at 04:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
naaa.... didn't you see? the icon of Messenger is not removed, it's modified! to come back, just double click on the icon.
:shocked: Woah, that`s great (Y)

U are doing a great job Patchou :wink:
[no subject] by Muss on 10-12-2002 at 04:19 AM

I thought that icon was the norton antivirus thing  :embarrassed:

What I thought was happening was you had more then two icon down there and that arrow thing scrolled across them, then the MSN icon disappeared and the icon frmo the left of it came across into view.

But that is great, good work  :grin:

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-12-2002 at 08:29 AM

and when you clicke on that icon, all the chat windows reapperas with the started conversation or just the messenger window?

real good work  patchou, don't get rid of making new screenshots for us :p

edit: does it really takes two minutes for the windows to go down to the system tray??(20h40 à  20h42) LOL!!!

[no subject] by BlacKicE168~ on 10-12-2002 at 02:31 PM

DOES THAT SAY "little fish"?

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-12-2002 at 11:22 PM

lol... yes it says "little fish" and no it does not take two minutes to minimize :p.

If you want new screenshots.... here is one.... nothing special you'll say?... well... what if I tell you that my email is not an hotmail one but a usual POP mail account...

[Image: email.jpg]

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-12-2002 at 11:43 PM

quote:
lol... yes it says "little fish" and no it does not take two minutes to minimize :p.

If you want new screenshots.... here is one.... nothing special you'll say?... well... what if I tell you that my email is not an hotmail one but a usual POP mail account...

Can U proove it ? :rolleyes::grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-13-2002 at 03:25 AM

lol, yeah right :p

[no subject] by surfichris on 10-13-2002 at 03:42 AM

quote:

[image removed]

Awesome! I have wanted a feature like this, seeing i dont use a @hotmail address because i am all 'corporate'  :rolleyes:

I am sure many other users will love that as well!
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-13-2002 at 10:58 AM

My school gives us POP3 Accounts so i can use this for that  :grin:
an my own pop3 accounts  :grin:

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-13-2002 at 11:50 AM

Does the email account of the POP3 Checker need to be the one of the msn session or can we have more than one account that we can check
sorry for the bad english but translating from french to english instead of thinking in english isn't easy.... and it's the day after saturday lol

hum, just for my personal curiousity patchou, what is the meaning of those japanese hiragana (ther are some i do not recognize) and how did you put them into messenger (which font)??

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-13-2002 at 04:55 PM

You'll be able to specify up to 4 different POP mail accounts, which are not related to your Passport email.

The Hiragana characters are here because of a long story.. one day I installed a japanese version of Messenger to test Unicode in Messenger Plus!... at that point, Messenger must have "flagged" my account as being japanese... now, my "Online/Offline" group always appear in japanese... that'S all :)

Patchou

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-14-2002 at 05:52 AM

quote:
You'll be able to specify up to 4 different POP mail accounts, which are not related to your Passport email.
You mean if i use jae_x777@xs4all.nl for MSN, i can't check it with your POP3 checker? :S
Or did you mean "which don't have to be related to your Passport email" ?

Great work BTW
[no subject] by Muss on 10-14-2002 at 06:11 AM

Maybe 4 different ones that aren't related to it, then the one that you are actually using?

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-14-2002 at 08:59 AM

Hmm, yeah.... maybe

Patchou? Help us out  :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-14-2002 at 03:21 PM

It's 4 POP accounts intotal, you can specify your passport + 3 other accounts or 4 completly different accounts... what I meant is there is no link between your Passport POP mail and the e-mail check.

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-14-2002 at 03:54 PM

Owkidowki then... nice.

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-14-2002 at 05:24 PM

how often is it updated (i don't know the system of the mail checker of hotmail), can we change the interval of time? and will the 4POP accounts be posted on the main window of messenger?

and good work for the (!N) and (!M) features i can't wait to test the :p:p:p

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-14-2002 at 06:31 PM

nor can i :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-14-2002 at 08:06 PM

The number of emaisl you'll see on the Messenger window is the combined total of your POP accounts.

For (!N) and (!M), you'ree free to give me some suggestions of what else you'd like to see. One good news for you is that everything can be combined, for example, (!T) can be used in some commands to specify a parameter. Let's say that you associated an alias with your quick text, like that:

QuickText: Hello (!T)
  Alias: hello

Then during a chat you can enter
  /hello Patchou

and you'll see
  Hello Patchou

...if you wanted you could enter
  /hello (!N)

and you would see "Hello <nicknames of the contact you're chatting with>".

Anyway, if you don't understand (I can have some problems to explain things in english), you'll see it soon enough in Messenger Plus!. And, last thing, everything I just talked about is already coded and working :)

I go back to my code!
Patchou.

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-14-2002 at 08:24 PM

hum sounds pretty good but ......... i didn't understood a single word (i exagère) of what you said .... if you want you can explain me simply in fench(in pm) it would be better .. :p

[no subject] by underdoc on 10-15-2002 at 09:14 AM

This new stuff is very impressive, although im mostly waiting for the scripting...  :grin:

[no subject] by Gergith on 10-16-2002 at 03:52 AM

i like the second thing patchou, but just a thought, what about if your chating with two people at once, like 3 way (manage a triios!(wow i cant spell))

[no subject] by BRAiN on 10-16-2002 at 09:52 AM

Nice new features, i like the email feature are you also gonna build a email feature for those who use Microsoft Exchange?

What about the recourses msgplus uses? Is this similiar to the 1.42?

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-16-2002 at 12:22 PM

interessant question gergit....
maybe we should assigne a number to the people chattying or else....

hum patchou, will it be a way to hide the "says" ("dit") in mp2 so the nick will be totally empty (thx ALT+0160 :d)

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-16-2002 at 02:03 PM

For the resources, I expect the new version to take the same amount or less memory than the previosu one. The main reason is that the program has been compeltly redesigned based on everything I learnt about Messenger in the past year.

For emails, currently I only added POP support. For IMAP and Exchange, I don't have the time to search for the detaisl of how to get the information so, if you have a code snipet to send me, I'll be more than happy to include it in MP2.

Currently, tags like (!N) display the information for all users in a chat. So, if I'm chating with Jae and Fraisie, (!N) will produce "Jae, Fraisie". Adding a number like (!N1) and (!N2) is a good idea, I didn't thought about it... I'll add that this evening.

Note: I'm trying to make the new version as customizable as possible. However, to avoid surcharge in the Preferences windows, several options can be set only by editing the Windows registry. For example, the separator between names ", " can be modified to whatever you want. Same thing for the number of POP accounts... the interface allows you to specify 4 accounts but internally, MP2 supports up to 9 accounts.

After the release I'll do a page on my web site with the list of every key you can add to customize MP2 a little more.

Patchou.

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-16-2002 at 08:05 PM

Nice Patchou ! :grin:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-16-2002 at 08:10 PM

kewl :d,is that 9 on top of teh 4 pop 3 accouts or aswell?

[no subject] by WDZ on 10-16-2002 at 08:18 PM

quote:
For the resources, I expect the new version to take the same amount or less memory than the previosu one.
Nice! (y)
quote:
For emails, currently I only added POP support.
I think that's fine, because POP is the most widely-used. Maybe other types can be supported in version 3 or something... :P
quote:
After the release I'll do a page on my web site with the list of every key you can add to customize MP2 a little more.
Cool... maybe I'll make a script that automatically generates *.reg files to make it easy for the newbies... ;)
[no subject] by WDZ on 10-16-2002 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
kewl :d,is that 9 on top of teh 4 pop 3 accouts or aswell?
Uhhm...
quote:
MP2 supports up to 9 accounts

Do you read as bad as you spell? :grin:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-16-2002 at 08:36 PM

yes :D pritected sat score years 6 level 2 year 9 level 4 gcse c-d god my englsih is good rofl

[no subject] by Fraisie on 10-16-2002 at 08:43 PM

Btw, who are the ones who tried to add me to their list using the email showed in the capture ? lol

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-16-2002 at 08:48 PM

LOL I didn't tryed :grin:

[no subject] by Gergith on 10-16-2002 at 10:56 PM

just a sugestion about the whole keeping suggestions in the regestry.. um, well, i personally think the regestry was the worst thing microsoft ever put in windows.. maybe it would be alot nicer if you had an .ini file, or something of that sort.. so it would make it 100 times easier if you have to re-install plus, or winodws, or giving all your settings to friends, or something like that.. just makes it easier, and nicer i find.. and alot more clean.. but thtats just me, and you are the programer!

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-17-2002 at 02:48 AM

Sorry I disagree. First, if you give Messenger Plus! to your friends, you must give them the installation package. For preferences, I prefer everyone to check for themselves what they want and what they don't want.

The registry is a great thing. Ini files have their own strength but the registry has data types and allows an infinite number of sub directories to be created.

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-17-2002 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
Btw, who are the ones who tried to add me to their list using the email showed in the capture ? lol
Blame Patchou, he displayed it. :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-17-2002 at 02:18 PM

ssshhhhhttttttt  .....  :lipsrsealed:

[no subject] by BRAiN on 10-18-2002 at 08:06 AM

kewl...thnx for the update

if i find an exchange check for mp2 you are the first to know

[no subject] by Gergith on 10-18-2002 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Sorry I disagree. First, if you give Messenger Plus! to your friends, you must give them the installation package. For preferences, I prefer everyone to check for themselves what they want and what they don't want.

The registry is a great thing. Ini files have their own strength but the registry has data types and allows an infinite number of sub directories to be created.

hehe, i guess im still bitter about the days when the registry could get easily fuxored, and it meant your computer was screwedn from then on
[no subject] by Patchou on 10-18-2002 at 07:34 PM

I understand your point of view then... but you know, the registry is much more protected that ini files... modify a ini file without backing it up and you're screwed for life. The registry has two automatic backup, which are done everytime you start Windows, so you still have a chance to undo your actions.

In any case, modifying a ini or the registry without knowing the result is risky, you can do it, why not, but don't blame Microsoft for it :).

Peace  :grin:

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-19-2002 at 08:45 AM

quote:
The registry has two automatic backup, which are done everytime you start Windows, so you still have a chance to undo your actions.

How would you undo something then? Just restart and not shut down properly? :undecided:
[no subject] by ginge on 10-19-2002 at 01:06 PM

Or you could use an XML file instead of a .ini, that way you get heirarchical storage, advanced "stuff" (XPath, XInclude, XSL, lots of other achronims starting with X, ...), W3C standards, and it isn't in the registry - which I personally hate.

Anyway - if Patchou does a registry storage for extra attributes I'm sure I can write a quick editor for them, any chance of a button in the options dialog to run an "extra settings" program?

[no subject] by WDZ on 10-19-2002 at 04:40 PM

quote:
How would you undo something then? Just restart and not shut down properly? :undecided: 
In Win98 you can type scanreg /restore from the DOS prompt.
[no subject] by schooly on 10-19-2002 at 06:56 PM

Patchou, you are doing a marvelous job.  I am currently wokring on an MSN website, and I was wondering if I could get permission from you for using those screenshots.  And I was wondering if you could maybe give us an estimated date(By the pace you are working at) that Messanger Plus! V2 will be out.

Thanks,
Schooly

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-19-2002 at 10:09 PM

Thank you for your comments :). For the screenshots, I would prefer that they stay on this forum until the beta version is released. It will be done quickly anyway. For now you can put screenshots of Messenger Plus! 1.4 if you want.

[no subject] by Gergith on 10-20-2002 at 02:18 PM

oh well, i dont care, its all good :-D cause patchou, you rule!!! hehehe, and i haveny once had a prob with reg since i went to nt/xp (same dif)

so its all good..

but if you think about it, they have had to put those backups there for a reason ;-) anways, tahts enough outa me for that!!

oh and one other thing though, its about logging, have you re-workedit so it doesnt screw up if say im talking to you in one chat window, and in another you and say, ginge, and in a third, just ginge?

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-20-2002 at 04:41 PM

Yes, it will be completly reworked  :happy:

[no subject] by user2319 on 10-20-2002 at 07:07 PM

yeah yor right. Hey Patchou when does the beta come out??? i would like to test it!! :grin:

[no subject] by Fraisie on 10-21-2002 at 03:58 AM

Hi ! I ask Patchou about it, and I'll be replying to your question regarding the releasing date of MP2.

Actually, Patchou plans to release the alpha version in 2 weeks, but he and only he will chose who'll get to test it. The release of the beta version will depend on the results obtained by the alpha version.   :grin:

[no subject] by shine on 10-21-2002 at 04:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
...............The release of the beta version will depend on the results obtained by the alpha version.   :grin: 
.. means it depends on how the alpha testers test  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
[no subject] by Patchou on 10-21-2002 at 05:54 PM

dont worry, the beta version will be public. I just count on alpha testers to release a beta version good enough for everyone. Alpha testers will need some knowledge about how to correctly report the bugs they find.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-21-2002 at 06:02 PM

that ok with me me be Alpha Tester ;) please :d

[no subject] by ginge on 10-21-2002 at 06:04 PM

quote:
me too
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-21-2002 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ginge
quote:
me too

Ginge can say i am a very good tester :-P all those msg++ errors i reported with explanation :D
[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-22-2002 at 10:34 AM

I tested ginges first... :wink:

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-22-2002 at 02:40 PM

Yeah yeah, you'll be all alpha testers. Just give me enough time so that I can give something to alpha test ;)

By the way, a beta version is not necesserally public. Concerning my contact information... hum..... don't tell anyone but... I'm not human!  :lipsrsealed:

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-22-2002 at 06:22 PM

Huuuu???
surely a man programming this excellent MP2 cannot be human, but what are you???

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-23-2002 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
I tested ginges first... :wink: 

I tested the translated version ( translated by me BTW :wink::grin:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-23-2002 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nakamura
Some kinda Canadian government cyborg with an ultra-advanced AI module? :grin:

quote:
Concerning my contact information, don't tell anyone but I'm not human!
Hmm... Let's see. I know for sure the following are real:

censored - lol, I love being an administrator hehe - Patchou

But I guess the one you actually check is something like yourrealname@someisp.ca. :wink

Patchou what was it PM me and tell me :d
[no subject] by schooly on 10-23-2002 at 10:48 PM

Can I be an alpha tester?  I know alot of things to look for.  I used to be an alpha tester for this game Tikitiayosho which was 'japaneese based'.  I quite after a couple of months cause the creator didnt have the time nor funds to hpst anymore so.... :rolleyes:  :undecided:

Thanks,
Schooly

[no subject] by bjh_101 on 10-24-2002 at 10:31 AM

hey! mp2 looks really cool so far and i cant wait for it, but i just want to check it will work in msn5! im sure it will but at the moment i am msgplusless  :cry:

Boss Shotcut by urxlnc on 10-27-2002 at 03:40 PM

Thanks for the improvement for MsgPlus 2! I have been looking for a long time and I am still looking for it...  :happy:

I have a suggestion about the boss shortcut, I have been using two softwares for boss shortcuts... one from MsgPlus! and secondly, I was using a software, QuickHideWindows from www.cronosoft.com to hide the conversation windows, not I think I no longer need that  :tongue:

But I use to find that QuickHideWindows a bit easy, Windows Button+Space Bar use to hide the active window and again pressing the same use to unhide them.

I would be excepting the same from MsgPlus 2.0! I dont think it much of a problem for this to program, I think all you need is just a logical condition in the module you would be coding for hiding the windows. If HIDDEN then SHOW or if VISIBLE then HIDE  :cheesy:

Hope to see that soon....

Thanks...

urxlnc

[no subject] by billywoods1 on 10-27-2002 at 06:24 PM

Messenger Plus! looks like it's getting along well from your features list... can I be an alpha tester? (Please please please :grin:)

By the way Patchou, this has been asked before, but roundabout when will the beta be released? For that matter, when will the whole thing be released?

Ok, I won't bother you any more. :grin:

[no subject] by Misterjad on 10-27-2002 at 09:32 PM

it the main topic of the other topics in this part of he forum, messenger plus! 2.0 's devellopment is paused untill microsoft give an answer to patchou about the api's docs.

[no subject] by billywoods1 on 10-27-2002 at 09:43 PM

I thought Patchou had just got all that stuff with Timothy's article!

Oh well, no one tells me anything... :huh:  :cry:

[no subject] by WDZ on 10-27-2002 at 10:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
I thought Patchou had just got all that stuff with Timothy's article!

Oh well, no one tells me anything... :huh:  :cry: 
Yeah, he did... I guess the API problem is solved now... :undecided:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-27-2002 at 10:12 PM

OII think it is apart form XP

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-27-2002 at 10:20 PM

Most of the API problem is solved yes. But a good fix for the MSN5 API on XP is still needed. And the API Patchou will use now doesn't have ALL features, so a few things in MP2 might be lost... so we're not exactly saved yet... Lets see what Microsoft has to say to Patchou in a few days?....

EDIT:Just talked to Patchou... Messenger Plus! 2.0 is currently being devolped again... the API problem isn't realy fixed yet (solutions are welcome ofcourse), but Patchou is not working on the API problem  right now, he waits and see what Microsoft says about it.....
but don't wory, when MP2 will be released it WILL be MSN5 compitable

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-28-2002 at 06:55 PM

Maybe but most people don't take the time to find them :p.

For MP2, yes I'm still developing it and for god sake, please, stop asking me when the beta will be available... I do not know! it will all depend on the alpha testers work... alpha version will be distributed to chosen people who know how tu use a computer and who have the time to try anything they can to make my software crash ;).

[no subject] by riball on 10-28-2002 at 08:23 PM

im good at crashing whole computers... does that count too?  :wink:

[no subject] by faquick on 10-28-2002 at 08:47 PM

quote:
alpha version will be distributed to chosen people who know how tu use a computer and who have the time to try anything they can to make my software crash ;).
Hey!!! I *KNOW* how to make PCs crash... so... please count me on alpha-testers !!! I am a long time user and reader of this forum... now I finally decided to register :P
[no subject] by riball on 10-28-2002 at 09:03 PM

i allready let my Anti virus software crash and i dont know how to fix it... everytime there comes and error up!  :cry: its soo annoying!

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-28-2002 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riball
i allready let my Anti virus software crash and i dont know how to fix it... everytime there comes and error up!  :cry: its soo annoying!
Are you SURE you ain't havving a virus... a friend of mine had that problem too, cause of it: 7 viruses.
[no subject] by riball on 10-29-2002 at 08:54 AM

it says Cannot read subscription data. Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus

now you say it it can be possible but i scanned my comp trough the net and no warning came up, i think its a bug in the software... but i cant find where it is... otherwise i wait for version 2003 and install that...

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-29-2002 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by faquick
Hey!!! I *KNOW* how to make PCs crash... so... please count me on alpha-testers !!! I am a long time user and reader of this forum... now I finally decided to register :P
You and the next guy mate. :undecided:
[no subject] by Patchou on 10-29-2002 at 02:49 PM

Then maybe you should buy Norton Antivirus :p .. it's cheap anyway ;)

[no subject] by faquick on 10-29-2002 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_MacYou and the next guy mate.
:huh:  :huh:  :huh:
[no subject] by PolluX on 10-29-2002 at 06:41 PM

quote:
... alpha version will be distributed to chosen people who know how tu use a computer and who have the time to try anything they can to make my software crash ;).

Isn't it true that the more Alpha testers there are, the faster any bugs are found and reported?
If you need one let me know plz ;)
[no subject] by ginge on 10-29-2002 at 06:57 PM

Alpha testing: Internal, small number of people who don't want to use the new features, but want to test them, this is quite a different thing. Also they should be able to tweak their registry, install/uninstall lots of stuff.
Beta testing: External, more people = merrier, people using the program in day to day situations
Gold/Final Release: Everyone gets a copy, by this stage it should be bug free

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-29-2002 at 07:12 PM

more = merrier, hehe...

ginge the walking encylopiedia... :P

btw, count me out the alpha testing. :rolleyes:  :undecided:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-29-2002 at 07:22 PM

why jmac?

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-29-2002 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Also they should be able to tweak their registry, install/uninstall lots of stuff.

I'm more of the user then that^.
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-29-2002 at 08:00 PM

shame, i think you would have been good testing it.

[no subject] by SystemDown on 10-30-2002 at 12:46 PM

Hey Riball, i have the same problem since some weeks...verry iritating:P Everytime 2 dialogs:S:S but im to lazy to fix it;) i think uninstall and reinstall it will work...

Rene

[no subject] by riball on 10-30-2002 at 02:46 PM

Well if it helps let me know!

otherwise i think i copy version 2003 when my friend gets it

btw patchou why should i buy it if i can get it for free?

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-30-2002 at 03:18 PM

Just because Norton does not develop its softwares for free... I won't start a debate on piracy, I don't say that all my softwares are legally installed on my computer but for $30 softwares, you should be a little helpful. Anyway... if you got your copy for free, then you can't complain... the same thing applies for Linux :)

[no subject] by riball on 10-30-2002 at 03:22 PM

well like windows xp its freaking expensive...

and i mostly dont want to go to the shop for that kinda stuff...

but you have also ppl that get your own work make it a lil different and say yeah i made that... i think that is pretty stupid

[no subject] by Discsint on 11-02-2002 at 06:03 AM

First (as a student of Japanese) let me explain the Japanese 'hiragana' in the screenshot: Sono ta no menbaa -means- Other members (or contacts that you haven't grouped) (I'm writing 'hiragana' since there's also a kanji and some katakana in there)

Second: Please stop pestering Patchou to become an alpha tester... This way he will never get to finish MP2  :wink:

Third: Personally I prefer McAfee VirusScan to Norton Antivirus. McAfee uses far less resources. And for optimum virus protection: keep your virus definitions updated.

That's all I have to say about that.

[no subject] by riball on 11-02-2002 at 02:18 PM

LOL Norton is better than mcafee... in my eyes

i readed somewhere that very old lil virusses just jump into ur system

[no subject] by rqi on 11-04-2002 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Just because Norton does not develop its softwares for free... I won't start a debate on piracy, I don't say that all my softwares are legally installed on my computer but for $30 softwares, you should be a little helpful. Anyway... if you got your copy for free, then you can't complain... the same thing applies for Linux :)

I think this is depends -- I will buy if I need use a software everyday. But for some kind of expensive software, like adobe pagemaker or microsoft office, I use that maybe 10 times per year, maybe less, why should I pay for that price?

A chinese software made a anti-virus called "Kingsoft Anti-Virus", they only sell it at 5 USD because they think they can sell it out for at least 3 million copies and 15million USD is fair for develop an anti-virus software. I do not know how many Norton sold -- I believe more than 3 million copies.
[no subject] by EvilSeph on 11-05-2002 at 12:59 AM

ok weird....

from the progress of MP2 to...the difference between linux and windows...

stay on topic ppl :)
[offtopic]dunno whatz better btw:P[/offtopic]

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-05-2002 at 02:10 PM

WDZ or Johnny, U should split this thread :rolleyes:... U should send the splitted stuff to Tech talk BTW :tongue:

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-05-2002 at 04:07 PM

Yeah... splitted into 3 to keep on topic...

MP2 is progressing in Announcements & News

Japanese in General Chit Chat

Windows Vs Linux in Tech Talk

J. :P

[no subject] by Juancho on 11-10-2002 at 06:23 AM

BTW Patchou, about the boss key, does it disables Pop-ups and sounds also ?

*Don't diss me if that it's already implemented in Plus 1.4, I never use the boss key....*

[no subject] by TWDman on 11-10-2002 at 01:42 PM

Hi Patchou!

I would like to be an Alpha-tester too. PLEASE!!!! I'm one of the English - Dutch translators, so you've got my mail already!

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-10-2002 at 05:15 PM

The Boss protection hides notification popup windows but does not deactivate Messenger sounds for now.

[no subject] by Juancho on 11-10-2002 at 07:59 PM

Well, but anyway, if you're using messenger in a place where you shouldn't, I don't think you'll be with the speakers turned on... Y'know what I mean...

[offtopic]Can I become a Tester also?[/offropic]

[no subject] by ahtea on 11-13-2002 at 06:46 AM

Is MP2 available to all to test? I hope so as I am quite eager to get it. If not, maybe Patchoz (sorry if i spelled it wrongly) could open MP2 for everyone to test  :wink:

[no subject] by gewoon ikke on 11-13-2002 at 07:47 AM

Patchou has already said he will choose who gets to be an alpha-tester, the beta-version will be public

woohoo by Social-Zero on 11-13-2002 at 09:24 AM

Hey man awesome work  :grin:

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-13-2002 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gewoon ikke
Patchou has already said he will choose who gets to be an alpha-tester, the beta-version will be public
As far as i'm aware, they are 2 alpha testers... and they have been long chosen... they may be more, but I'm sure patchou has a list longer then his arm who could do it... so can we have less of the begging.
[no subject] by Juancho on 11-13-2002 at 04:16 PM

If everything goes fine, it seems like I'll be an alpha tester... (A)
I hope at least :P

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-13-2002 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Juancho
Oh, how come?
[no subject] by §t0ner on 11-13-2002 at 06:53 PM

Guyz ,

Patchou is chosing the alpha testers ...... if u keep asking him it anit gonna help ya chances!!

The new upgrade if messeneger but 5.0 (0.540) is that gonna create any problems ????  :huh:

To that advanced messenger plus they have basically copied your idea patchou well it is your idea !  :wink:

Good Luck Patchou for what ever you have got to finish in plus!

P.S - My email is hayden_the_st0ner@hotmail.com ..... i am usually quiet often on MSN

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-13-2002 at 08:14 PM

I shall say this again, just to make the point... PATCHOU ALREADY HAS ALPHA TESTERS.

There we go... should do the trick. :undecided:

[no subject] by EvilSeph on 11-13-2002 at 09:11 PM

I think a list of Alpha testers should be posted, and a rule of no PM'ing them should be made, as once the Alpha testers get the Alpha, there will be pandemonium, people will ask for screenshots...ask for the program..with PM, find out your email and beg you on there, spam your email etc.

I know this only because i test programs.

and i want this rule as i am an Alpha Tester, and it will not only benefit me, but every other Alpha Tester too...

As Johnny_Mac (spelling) has stated, Patchou and ONLY Patchou will choose Alpha Testers, the reason is, that giving an Alpha to a complete stranger means releasing the program early, because that person will most definitely send it out to everyone they know, bragging they have this incredible program, and bragging that they are an Alpha Tester...now Alpha Testing is not..easy...as alot of news sites will bribe you for screenshots, info, etc. Now if you do give them screenshots, info, etc then you are not worthy enough to test this program, and in the end it will be your loss.

In conclusion please stop bugging Patchou and the MSG Plus Staff/Forum Staff...as they are very busy/have their own lives, and will not, i repeat will not leak anything to the public without permission.

Regards,
EvilSeph

[no subject] by Juancho on 11-13-2002 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
Originally posted by Juancho
Oh, how come?

Patchou told me that I'll be an Alpha Tester.. but y'know... of course I think that I can do it... But there's a bunch of better people than me out there...
[no subject] by EvilSeph on 11-14-2002 at 12:15 AM

I also think...all Alpha Testers should have a new Rank MP2 Alpha Tester or sumthing...

regards,
EvilSeph

[no subject] by riball on 11-14-2002 at 07:41 AM

LOL and then everybody is going to ask

can you send a copy to me?

i think those alpha testers should be anonymous

[no subject] by Juancho on 11-14-2002 at 01:21 PM

Of course they'll ask us for screenshots, copies, etc
But we won't give it to them ;)
So what's the problem ?

[no subject] by riball on 11-14-2002 at 02:54 PM

lol alot of spam in your email cuz everyone wants a copy...

also you get crazy on msn cuz everyone adds your to their list...

[no subject] by EvilSeph on 11-14-2002 at 09:02 PM

on MSN you can block and on here you can ignore so thatz no problem, on hotmail u can block too, no problem again, i still think you should give a new rank and post the alpha testers to show they have been chosen so stop asking kind of thing...

[no subject] by billywoods1 on 11-14-2002 at 09:07 PM

Oh well... guess I won't be an alpha tester then... :P

Can't wait for the beta version though - or, more to the point... the real thing. Keep up the good work, Patchou!

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-15-2002 at 04:34 PM

The final list has yet to be decided... I'll let you know, don't worry :)

[no subject] by §t0ner on 11-16-2002 at 08:38 AM

Hey

Posting a list of alpha testers is not the smartest idea ... i have had problems in past with my name being posted in fourms that i am an alpha tester and ppl don't stop asking for a copy so i suggest to save e1 the grief and contact ppl indvildually .
Glad to hear a beta version will be done by december can't wait to try it !!

Cheers

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-16-2002 at 11:11 AM

Alpha testers and alpha testers should only know who is alpha testing... no one else... thats what I think anyway...

And let Jae sort out the screenshots for mess.be.

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-16-2002 at 05:37 PM

I also think the alpha testers list should be kept private... :undecided:

[no subject] by Grim on 11-16-2002 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I also think the alpha testers list should be kept private... :undecided:

i do think so to, but only in the weekends
[no subject] by Bugz on 11-16-2002 at 07:26 PM

please quit nagging about the alpha testers, and just let Patchou decide

[no subject] by user2319 on 11-16-2002 at 08:09 PM

I agree

[no subject] by Bunneh on 11-16-2002 at 09:15 PM

Lol, you know everyone wants to get MP2 to see what it's like and all. But dont bug just wait. ;)

I know I am. :P

[no subject] by EvilSeph on 11-16-2002 at 09:25 PM

i merely suggested it to take some burden off Patchou as if the Alpha Testers are listed then people know, that they are chosen, case closed, stop asking.

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-16-2002 at 10:34 PM

I'm sure Patchou will make an announcement saying they've been chosen. I don't think a list of them is needed as proof. :tongue:

[no subject] by Muss on 11-17-2002 at 10:55 AM

I don't even think patchou should say when people are alpha testing it - if they aren't already  :wink:

If there is a list, people will beg patchou for it, if the people are announced they will be bugged about it, so if no one knows when it is happening (cept the people who actually have it) then no one will be bugged about it??

Outlook Express Integration by davedwm on 11-17-2002 at 08:27 PM

I use outlook express 6, to recieve email from my pop email and my hotmail email...

I wa wondering if you can make the links within msn that load you webbased inbox, instead load outlook express to check your mail

one more feature please by diegorm on 11-18-2002 at 05:31 AM

Maybe you can add a feature to do what some people call 'skin msn', you know, that trick of changing lvback.gif to anything you want... an option to change it can be nice  :happy:  and some right click options when you click a buddy like: 'see logs from this buddy'. And if you want some help in spanish translations, i can help  :grin:

[no subject] by Juancho on 11-18-2002 at 05:51 AM

Why don't we stay on topic ?
There's an special forum for features requests, so I think you should have posted there (Y)
And diegorm I think your avatar is a bit too big, and it messes the forum displayng, but it's not me who deciedes that :P

[no subject] by Menthix on 11-18-2002 at 08:00 AM

Check Patchou's MP2 update page:

http://patchou.com/msgplus/mp2.htm

New stuff!!!! :D

Good job! by riball on 11-18-2002 at 08:47 AM

Yeah i see it!

Finally never came up with it but it pretty cool i can finally close my messenger while i have IE or Outlook running...

Good Job Patchou!  :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-18-2002 at 04:32 PM

Yep, that was a tough one and I'm still on it in fact. If you want to know the exact reason for that... Messengdr Plus! is a software that uses Messenger and that does not unload until Messenger actually unloads itself. That basically means that under a lot of circumstances, using MP2 could just prevent to exit Messenger ever! lol... that's why I had to add this "feature" :).

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-18-2002 at 05:16 PM

good good i was startying to get anoyed when i had to quickly hide msn ;)

[no subject] by user2319 on 11-18-2002 at 07:31 PM

yup thats gr8! :grin:

RE: MP2 is progressing by AI on 12-21-2002 at 08:51 PM

We are already testing and the force-quit doesn't work with me Patchou.

RE: by madrose on 12-23-2002 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jae_x777

Last post on this page says that a bea will be avilable before christmas. I hope this will come true.... :)
It is really true that setting a deadline can be a nightmare :)

RE: MP2 is progressing by dudboi on 12-23-2002 at 01:47 PM

dealines are the worst nightmares after mean teachers... :)

RE: RE: by Chrono on 12-24-2002 at 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by madrose
quote:
Originally posted by Jae_x777

Last post on this page says that a bea will be avilable before christmas. I hope this will come true.... :)
It is really true that setting a deadline can be a nightmare :)

Quoting Patchou's last email from 22/12/2002:

quote:
This is almost the last alpha version before the public beta that I’d like to release in less than 10 days.

:wink:
RE: MP2 is progressing by dudboi on 12-24-2002 at 11:26 AM

oh well...good things dont come easy! ;)

RE: MP2 is progressing by dom. on 12-24-2002 at 12:00 PM

BUT WHEN! WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE REDAY :'(

RE: MP2 is progressing by dom. on 12-24-2002 at 12:05 PM

Quote:

*Don't diss me if that it's already implemented in Plus 1.4, I never use the boss key....*

Yeh it does stop sounds, coz the busy status automatically stop sounds :D

RE: MP2 is progressing by dudboi on 12-24-2002 at 12:45 PM

im quite shocked some1 doesnt know that....

RE: MP2 is progressing by AI on 12-24-2002 at 01:47 PM

Just got a new alpha version today and yesterday, lookks like the beta is almost ready 2 me.

RE: MP2 is progressing by Freeze on 12-24-2002 at 04:48 PM

Yeah, like NOT, this last one has a real annoying bug in Win98SE :x

Hope patchou can fix it!

RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by Chrono on 12-24-2002 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Freeze
Yeah, like NOT, this last one has a real annoying bug in Win98SE :x

Hope patchou can fix it!

Did he fixed it ? cause I dont have this prob anymore ... weird :S
RE: by tibbsa on 12-25-2002 at 01:52 AM

It won't be long before someone writes a handy little tool to make these changes easily,  I'm sure...

quote:
Note: I'm trying to make the new version as customizable as possible. However, to avoid surcharge in the Preferences windows, several options can be set only by editing the Windows registry. For example, the separator between names ", " can be modified to whatever you want. Same thing for the number of POP accounts... the interface allows you to specify 4 accounts but internally, MP2 supports up to 9 accounts.

RE: MP2 is progressing by dudboi on 12-25-2002 at 02:11 AM

For me, now the two greatest things patchou can do is make the autoupdate appear when there is one and not within 2 minutes... and maybe make it work perfectly with messenger 5 on XP (it doesnt work welll here right?...)

RE: MP2 is progressing by Freeze on 12-25-2002 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, there IS something wr'ong with that auto-update function, cause..; well, i don't get an update anymore :s so now im stuck with crappy version nr 2.008 :x

RE: MP2 is progressing by WDZ on 12-25-2002 at 03:58 PM

Exit Messenger, set your PC date ahead, clear your Internet Explorer cache, and restart Messenger to try again... :undecided:

ppl cant wait hu? by fakedage on 12-25-2002 at 11:17 PM

ppl cant wait about a few days for mp2 to come out. odd

RE: MP2 is progressing by RyanS on 12-26-2002 at 06:05 PM

Hi. I'm sorta new here. I've been reading posts and stuff about MP2 since I've been using MP1 for a while now. Anyway I do have a question. December is rapidly coming to a close and I know the front page says MP2 will be released sometime in December. As January approaches I'm wondering if the date of sometime in December still stands or if it will be postponed? If so, do you have an idea when. Or is this more of a "When Its Done" type of thing?

Ryan

RE: MP2 is progressing by Bugz on 12-26-2002 at 06:12 PM

the beta version will be released soon

RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by Chrono on 12-27-2002 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bugz
the beta version will be released soon

Veeeeeeeery soon ;)
RE: MP2 is progressing by dom. on 12-27-2002 at 01:34 AM

:D

RE: MP2 is progressing by AI on 12-27-2002 at 10:21 AM

I hope it will.

RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by Guido on 12-27-2002 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RyanS
As January approaches I'm wondering if the date of sometime in December still stands or if it will be postponed?If so, do you have an idea when. Or is this more of a "When Its Done" type of thing?
patchou still wants to release the public beta(or alpha, dunno what he calls it) with the end of the year, maybe the first days of january, but the final 2.0 version will take some more time...
and actually yes, it's quite a "when it's done" thing, because patchou wants it to be an excellent product when releasing it

but mp2, sooner or later, 'll be great!! :refuck:
alerts by Dadoef on 12-27-2002 at 05:11 PM

With the new boss protection, if you activated it, do the windows of your contacts still appear or do they still make sound if they sends messages?

RE: alerts by Guido on 12-27-2002 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dadoef
With the new boss protection, if you activated it, do the windows of your contacts still appear or do they still make sound if they sends messages?

I don't remember but I think they don't appear. The sounds will play though, but if you really need not to be found using msn you wont have the sounds on :grin:. When you press the boss prot. shortcut, all msgr windows dissapear and the messenger icon changes to the one of your choice. (y)
RE: MP2 is progressing by ThA-BoZniAn on 12-27-2002 at 08:46 PM

Nice work Patchou, This MP2 will be the best add-on for MSN ever, good luck with everything.

RE: MP2 is progressing by Patchou on 12-27-2002 at 10:21 PM

Thank you for your support everyone. Concerning the Boss Protection, if you select Busy for the status, no sound will be played.

RE: MP2 is progressing by ThA-BoZniAn on 12-27-2002 at 10:24 PM

no problem patchou

RE: MP2 is progressing by Dane on 12-27-2002 at 11:23 PM

:-), As an alpha tester I would like to inform you that MP2 Is gonna be great!

RE: MP2 is progressing by BROSROCK on 12-27-2002 at 11:32 PM

WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE READY?? PLEASE TELL ME!
I LOVE THAT BOSS FEATURE... I CAN USE THAT ONE HERE @ WORK! HEE HEE

RE: MP2 is progressing by Guido on 12-28-2002 at 04:25 AM

[offtopic]
* Guido thinks chrono'll murder you :grin:

wow nice avatar, though too big... its more than 200k... please be conscious, not all here have broadband (luckily i do, if not i would be insulting you :grin:)
[/offtopic]

RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by Bugz on 12-28-2002 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BROSROCK

it should go public the first days of january
RE: MP2 is progressing by coleman01 on 12-28-2002 at 01:28 PM

lets hope so.

at this rate a new version of messenger will be out :-P

just kidding. im sure its worth the wait.

RE: RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by AI on 12-28-2002 at 03:30 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BROSROCK

it should go public the first days of january

@ least the beta will, on win98 almost all the bugs are out, just some annoying little stuff.
RE: MP2 is progressing by Bugz on 12-28-2002 at 05:54 PM

there will be 1 version of MP2 for all OS
it will work with every previous version of messenger
it won't work with msngr 5 on xp

RE: MP2 is progressing by Bugz on 12-28-2002 at 07:24 PM

this forum still runs on beta software, so the search feature isn't back in full force (too buggy)

RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by Guido on 12-28-2002 at 11:05 PM

quote:
it will work with every previous version of messenger

* Guido doubts it will work with old messenger versions up to 3.6.... mp1 doesn't...
RE: MP2 is progressing by Guido on 12-29-2002 at 12:21 AM

Actually, i checked... Mp2 won't work on versions earlier than 4.6...

RE: MP2 is progressing by shazaam on 12-29-2002 at 02:56 AM

MP2 is not going to work with messenger 5 on xp? I thought The main reason for MP2 was for it to work on messenger 5.

RE: RE: MP2 is progressing by Guido on 12-29-2002 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shazaam
MP2 is not going to work with messenger 5 on xp? I thought The main reason for MP2 was for it to work on messenger 5.

Not the main reason, but yes. But it's because Microsoft that Patchou can't make Messenger Plus 2 work with Messenger 5 in Windows Xp as it works in Win9x/2k. So...

it will work with messenger 5 but NOT in xp, there it only will work with windows messenger 4.6~4.7