Shoutbox

Audiator v2.0 BETA - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Audiator v2.0 BETA (/showthread.php?tid=17128)

Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-27-2003 at 10:31 PM

Hurrah for betas !

version 2.0b is now hosted and ready for downloading :)
As before, the filesize is too big to be hosted on the plus! forums, so i have hosted it elsewhere. You can find a link from the audiator website (which is currently a wee bit under construction). See link below.

PLEASE UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE PLUGIN BEFORE INSTALLING VERSION 2

As this is only a beta release, i cannot claim that this is bug free, but i feel that it is reasonably fit for release. If anyone does find any bugs, plz post them here until i can get some form of known bugs thing on the site going.

In the meantime, enjoy :)

optimism_

Download the current plugin here: http://audiator.osnetwork.sytes.net

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Jeronimo on 10-27-2003 at 11:12 PM

First of all, nice work. First impressions are good.

First bug I noticed - I tried Uninstalling the Soundpacks included, and then reinstalling them (I do things like this). A couple of times I've tried, and both times its crashed Messenger, meaning I have to start it back up.

Actually playing the sounds with another person hasn't been tested yet. I'm waiting for someone on my list to install the plug-in :)

A few other minor quibbles, but I'll try using it a bit more to get the feel of it. Just wanted to you know about the biggie I posted at the start.

Glad to finally see a beta tho. I'll be having fun with this one :gfdrin:

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-27-2003 at 11:14 PM

add em to ur list then :)
yeah i kinda knew about the soundpacks one - can u tell me where it crashed (u can find out by when u reopen messenger where they stopped getting deleted in the config dlg) - im not entirely sure why it shud crash but im pretty sure i know how its crashing - so thats a good first step :)

optimism_

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Jeronimo on 10-27-2003 at 11:39 PM

I can't be quite sure where it crashes as its different every time :undecided:

I am not quite sure what is supposed to happen with the Install/Uninstall Soundpacks. Am I supposed to wait for a message to come up telling me it was successful? Or click cancel? Maybe I am being too fast for it.

Something else I noticed. Sometimes when I close the Audiator config window, "/xauconfig" still shows in the text box of the conversation window. And sometimes it doesn't :S

Would just be nice to get some feedback from the soundpack window.

Another point, tho minor, is in the Add Sounds window. The drop down box for entering the index shows the fist number and then the top half of the second. Maybe you could alter this to be bigger. Why else have a drop down other wise?

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-27-2003 at 11:41 PM

a) if the soundpacks install/uninstall works properly, it will close and the list of sounds in the main config dlg will refresh to show the new lsit - if it fails, thats when the dlg hangs there.

b) the command will be left if the app crashes - which seems to be with the uninstall/install soundpacks option

c) i shall look into it :)

RE: RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Jeronimo on 10-28-2003 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by optimism_
a) if the soundpacks install/uninstall works properly, it will close and the list of sounds in the main config dlg will refresh to show the new lsit - if it fails, thats when the dlg hangs there.
This makes sense now. Just seemed odd having no real button to click to confirm it had done. Maybe have a pop up window saying "Please wait" or something. Of course if it normally only takes a second or two to install the soundpack, this wouldn't be too worthwhile :)

I'll be sure to report back any other problems I have. I am keen to see your piece of software do well, as it adds some fun into my converations with boring people :refuck:
RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-28-2003 at 12:02 AM

depending on the number of sounds in the soundpack, realistically it should be instantaneous - or at least it was in my trials

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-28-2003 at 11:40 AM

I have been informed that my webserver which hosts the Audiator website, and the mirrors list for download seems to keep dying. Honestly! this server seems to have more downtime than uptime!

I shall start trying to find a new web host - my old one stopped its php service - and i shall update the first post to the new address asap

optimism_

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-28-2003 at 12:43 PM

Another important note

I have just installed plus! 2.5 and found that my plugin is not yet compatable!!! (neither is ur simpsons plugin if you read this Wacko ;))

I shall be updating the source code for both bugs asap and i shall post when done

optimism_

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 12:38 AM

done - new mirrors and installers are up and running after haveing had my computer open on its site for the majority of the day - who knew installing new devices would take so much time/effort!!!

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Jeronimo on 10-29-2003 at 12:49 AM

Keeps timing out when trying to connect to the website :(

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by EvilSeph on 10-29-2003 at 12:58 AM

Ah! Stop spamming optmisim_ (:, jk, urm, need a mirror?

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 12:58 AM

that would be my webservers fault - i am looking for a free web host to get this site off my tempremental computer, but i have yet to find one. the one i would use just stopped doing php =/

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 01:00 AM

Mirrors are always helpful EvilSeph :)

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by EvilSeph on 10-29-2003 at 01:08 AM

Urm..can't download it lol...can't mirror it =\ g2g, i'll try again tomorrow.

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Jeronimo on 10-29-2003 at 01:59 AM

optimism_ can you post here, or on your website, a change log from version to version. Very useful to see which bugs have been squashed.

Still having lots of trouble with the Soundpacks. Trying to install, uninstall them usually makes Messenger crash :S

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 03:28 AM

i really am off to sleep now
I will put a version history up on site 2moz, but siffice to say the only difference since the original post is the upgrade to plus! 2.5 (as the different plugin headers made the plugin fail to work under the new plus release).

still about the soundpacks, ive had another look at them and i still cant see where the fatal i/o error is occuring - it may be that i have  to rewrite that section *again*

*sigh*

optimism_

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 12:38 PM

Small version history is online and can be found at the website again, http://audiator.osnetwork.sytes.net/

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by kasey on 10-29-2003 at 05:37 PM

optimism_, I'm using v2.00.0002 of Audiator, v2.50.66 of MessengerPlus! under WindowsXP, and I keep getting this error when I install Audiator and then run MSN Messenger 6.1 (under WinXP SP1):
---------------------------------------------------------
DDE Server Window: msnmsgr.exe - Unable to Locate Component

This appliation has failed to start because MSVCP70.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've tried reinstalling Audiator, but the problem still occurs.  Any suggestions?

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 05:38 PM

argh - errrrrrrrrrr....rrrrrr..rrrrrrrrrr

you dont have the latest c runtime libraries i think .......

gimme a few mins to check

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 05:49 PM

I may have the solution - can i send you a revised dll, and u tell me if it works? if so ill update the mirrored installers when the next version goes out

Update: Problem solved - if anyone else has this problem soon, email me and ill send on the updated dll. I will be putting the new type of dll in all future releases.

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Grr8_Gal on 10-29-2003 at 11:14 PM

I've been having the same problem.

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 10-29-2003 at 11:18 PM

hmm @ this could be more common than i thought.

Ill post the new dll here

if you havent installed audiator tho, do not download this dll, as it is useless without the installer to set it up properly

just replace the existing dll with this one.

I will update the next release with this dll

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by EvilSeph on 10-29-2003 at 11:31 PM

Mirror: http://www.digital-fanatic.com/downloads/Audiator250.exe

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Grr8_Gal on 10-30-2003 at 12:09 AM

Way cool! Thanks! :D

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 11-04-2003 at 12:06 AM

I have been working tirelessly on the bugs in the last few days and i think i may have cracked them :) It is at this time i release Audiator 2.01.0001 - for download via the website as usual: http://audiator.osnetwork.sytes.net/

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Jeronimo on 11-04-2003 at 12:25 AM

I have just downloaded and installed the latest version, and your claim is correct optimism_ :)  Have yet to make it crash. Installing and unistalling Soundpacks works flawlessly now.

Hope this news fills you with motivation to forge on with this plugin :)

Thanks chap!

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 11-17-2003 at 07:12 PM

It has come to my attention that the plugin does not retain settings for playing sounds and error toasts between sessions. (If you do not hear sounds, you may be affected by this bug, check that the playsounds check box is checked in the config window.)

This is not a problem with the plugin as such, but more a problem with the installer. I shall be releasing an updated version later today that will prevent this problem.

I shall also be updating the documentatioon on the site, including how to make SoundPacks for the plugin. I will also be maintaing a list of all official SoundPacks, and which sound indexes are used so as to standardise them. More info to follow

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 11-26-2003 at 07:40 PM

Help!

I just got an email from my primary downloads mirror host to inform me ive over run my bandwidth allowance by nearly 400% (thats downloads only, not site on there:|).

This means im down to just one downloads mirror, and if people still want to be able to get hold of a copy of Audiator i need more mirrors.

Please if you have high/unmetered bandwidth, could you offer me some to add to my mirrors list so as Audiator can remain live.

thanks in advance,
optimism_

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by WDZ on 11-26-2003 at 07:56 PM

Do you just want one 1.75 MB file hosted, or what? Because I could upload a copy to this server... there's quite a bit of bandwidth to waste... :p

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by MoRiA on 12-02-2003 at 06:45 PM

I have spent the past week (well I finished it mid-weekend... ;)) creating an Audiator INI Generator website.
When I first thought about creating a soundpack I realised that creating the INI file for it would be the most labourious part of the process so instead I created a website so that anyone else who decided to make a soundpack could easily input the details into this page and receive an .ini file that can be used in the soundpack.

Unfortunately, due to Optimism_'s hosting troubles (etc.) I have hosted it on my webspace so the address isn't anything Audiator-related and the pages aren't integrated into Optimism_'s themes, either.
However the rest of the code works fine. All the problems are small and aesthetical.

Not only will this page create the ini file for you but it will also check if the sound indicies you plan to use are already being uesd by another sound pack, at a press of a button!
The message field in the form can also have the Messenger Plus! format tags easily entered into it. And, if you're running IE 6, will popup a standard colour-selector dialog box to allow you to choose a colour quickly and simply.

To access the site simply click this link [this is a brief redirect so that it points to the page, wherever it's hosted]

PS: Once you've created your soundpack be sure to send it to optimism (optimism_ [at] osnetwork.sytes.net) for use in the upcoming SoundPack Database!

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by simbo on 03-08-2004 at 02:36 PM

MoRiA - have managed to create a soundpack using your site, but when i've sent it to my mates they cannot install it, saying the ini file is either corrupt, or trying to install zero soundpacks.  is there a specific (and idiot-proof) way or sending an ini file?  does it need to be compressed for example - i sent through msn initially.

thanks for your help

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by MoRiA on 03-08-2004 at 04:02 PM

An INI file is just a plain text file with a specific format:
[GroupName]
Item1="Value 1"
Item2="Value 2"

Compressing the file etc should make no difference as long as it's decompressed at the other end.

I may need optimism_'s help in solving this particular problem, however if you can either post/PM/email me the INI file in question I can have a glance over it and see what the error is. It's quite possible that I've not sorted the INI file output correctly...

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by simbo on 03-08-2004 at 09:28 PM

thanks for the offer - optimism has given me something to have a look at - will try that - i think inadvertently changed the format of the ini file - will let you know how i get on

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by simbo on 03-08-2004 at 09:47 PM

thanks - sorted now - for future reference for anyone else who may encounter this problem, the error message was because i had altered the first line of the ini file.  swapping it back to [Header] and reinstalling the soundpack solved the problem.

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by MoRiA on 03-08-2004 at 09:50 PM

I would imagine that changing that first line would be fine as long as you don't actually change the content of the INI file. Thus you can place a comment (anything after a #) on that line but not anything in []s or anything NOT preceeded by a #..

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 03-08-2004 at 10:10 PM

hang on a tick... you changed the first line... what exactly were you trying to do..?

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by simbo on 03-09-2004 at 10:07 AM

Nothing major - only trying to distinguish my sound pack from yours so my mates would be able to tell the difference if they were then going to forward it on - being a few sandwiches hort of a picnic, i didn't hink it through, and realise the importance of the [Header] entry

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by optimism_ on 03-09-2004 at 06:02 PM

If you want to add comments to the file, since this is nothing more than a standard ini file format, just add a line starting with a # character to indicate a comment..
eg

code:
#This is my ini file, made by me
#it contains some sounds from my favourite tv shows
#etc
#blah
[Header]

etc
RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by simbo on 03-09-2004 at 08:36 PM

thanks - maybe i need to get some typing practice before i try anything else
:$

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by Sophia-a on 11-22-2004 at 10:01 PM

Everytime i try to unzip the File:
Inkredist It comes up with
The loader can not find the file c:\windows\temp\install1\instmsiA.exe    file necessary to load the windows installer
But on the Ink.msi  It will let me install it.. My friend doesn't understand how it doesn't work hers was perfectly fine when she did it.. I don't want to remove it Etc, As i would like it on my computer.
Any one got any solutions for me to try ?
:S Confuzzedd Alot!!

RE: Audiator v2.0 BETA by MoRiA on 11-23-2004 at 05:53 PM

Whoa! Holy thread necromancy, Batman!

Audiator 2 is no longer the latest version; get Audiator 3.

As for the installer issue; try downloading & installing this file then trying again:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...8E8&displaylang=en