Shoutbox

Messenger 5 Compatibility - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: Messenger 5 Compatibility (/showthread.php?tid=1829)

Messenger 5 Compatibility by Patchou on 10-26-2002 at 05:50 PM

Hello all of you,

if you intend to post a thread or send an email about the fact that Messenger Plus! 1.42 is not compatible with Messenger 5, don't bother, we already know! :).

I'm currently working with Microsoft to find a agreement. I need them to send the documentation they removed from the public domain. A lot of things will be decided  next week, so, by the beginning of November. Be sure that I'll keep you informed about the progress.

In all that chaos, I have what I consider being a great news...  if Microsoft refuses to give me what I'm requesting, I guarentee you that Messenger Plus! 1.43 will be released very quickly. I already coded the fixes and I'm ready to distribute this patched version. Why don't I do it right now? I would prefer people to upgrade to Messenger Plus! 2.0 directly if possible.

Thank you for all your support, I'll posts updates in this thread as soon as I have some news.

Patchou.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-26-2002 at 05:54 PM

Patchou if this drags out a bit with microsoft (as i think it will) Will you release 1.43?

Quick Question... by Kaiser2000 on 10-26-2002 at 07:00 PM

Hi all..long time reader - first time poster ;)

First off, thanks for the news Patchou that whatever happens, we WILL be gettin A version of Plus! that'll work with MSN 5 :)

Now just a quick question - have or can you implement a feature that'll remove not only the ads but also the "tabs" in the main MSN window as although u CAN turn them off in v4.7, MS have (helpfully!) decided to omit that option in the new release. :(
(I had a quick look thru the features that you said would be lost if you don't manage to get around this API problem and saw nothing about this).

Sorry if this last bit is in the wrong forum, but just thought I'd ask anyway :)

Thanks for all your hard work on this - its much appreciated by everyone here I'm sure.

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-26-2002 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

I'm currently working with Microsoft to find a agreement.

Hope U find an agreement with them...
I had uninstalled MSN 5 caus eI cant use plus... Ill wait until 1.43 comes out, or MP2  :grin:

BTW, If U install V5, U keep the 4.6 version installed, and U can use almost fully Plus! on it, but the away message wont work...
[no subject] by WDZ on 10-26-2002 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
BTW, If U install V5, U keep the 4.6 version installed, and U can use almost fully Plus! on it, but the away message wont work...
How can you keep 4.6 installed? The 5.0 setup program deleted my 4.6... :rolleyes:
[no subject] by Chrono on 10-26-2002 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
How can you keep 4.6 installed? The 5.0 setup program deleted my 4.6... :rolleyes:

I installed V5 and I was waiting my 4.6 version to be closed... but then the sign in window appeared :shocked:
I had both 4.6 and 5.0 versions installed :shocked:

I cant show U a screenshot cause as I say, I uninstalled V5 :P
[no subject] by 2Cold_Scorpio on 10-26-2002 at 07:37 PM

Working w/ MS....thats a good sign, I suppose. :D

On another note, I too, managed to keep 2 messengers on my system:  Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.  Plus even sorta works in 5.  Too bad the stuff I use the most don't. :P  I miss auto-away messages.  Ah well...

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-26-2002 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 2Cold_Scorpio
Working w/ MS....thats a good sign, I suppose. :D

On another note, I too, managed to keep 2 messengers on my system:  Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5

See WDZ ? :rolleyes:
Windows MEssenger 5.0 hasn't been released by Albux on 10-26-2002 at 08:40 PM

Hello!! Why are you worrying so much about the new release of Msn messenger 5.0? I don't have this new messenger in my computer (Windows Xp) because they haven't released Windows Messenger 5.0 yet. So until they don't release it, they won't release the API's you need. Please, don't worry!!!!

[no subject] by EvilSeph on 10-26-2002 at 08:50 PM

Windows and/or MSN Messenger 5.0 has been released i am afraid.

Sollution ? by timothy on 10-26-2002 at 09:06 PM

I hope this will work, Look on www.mess.be for my article (main news) it will explain everything about the new MSN 5 API

[no subject] by Elliot334 on 10-26-2002 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
Windows and/or MSN Messenger 5.0 has been released i am afraid.

MSN Messenger 5 has been released

Windows Messenger 5 has not.

There is a difference between the two, the reason some people are running both 4.7 and 5 is because they are using Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5. They are different programs.
[no subject] by Chrono on 10-26-2002 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Elliot334
the reason some people are running both 4.7 and 5 is because they are using Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5. They are different programs.
Im NOT running Windows messenger :rolleyes:
I was running MSN messenger 4.6.0082 and v5 of it at the same time :undecided:
[no subject] by timothy on 10-26-2002 at 09:46 PM

If you read the article on mess.be it will tell you that it still holds the 4.x api(except the 1.0 Type Library) but has to be changed in the registry to function.
Thank you

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-26-2002 at 10:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by timothy
If you read the article on mess.be it will tell you that it still holds the 4.x api(except the 1.0 Type Library) but has to be changed in the registry to function.
Thank you
Hey man... thnaks for you information, looks like great info. Patchou is reading it right now. I think Patchou will probaly wait before making any decissions nutil somewhere next week... he's meeting some microsoft people to talk about his problem... let's see what microsoft has to say first.
[no subject] by VlasBaard on 10-27-2002 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser2000
Now just a quick question
(snip)

'This is a public computer so son't display my tags' will do what you want, even though your computer probably isn't public :)
[no subject] by MJMoore on 10-27-2002 at 09:16 AM

Can someone please tell me the difference between Messenger and MSN Messenger, as I'm confused!  :huh:

I have the Messenger that came with my Wndows XP. At the moment I have version 4.7, and I use Messenger Plus. I have recently been asked if I want to upgrade to version 5.

Second question.. if I go ahead, and install 5, will Plus stop working completely, or will some functions still work? I mainly need to get rid of the adverts, and I like the chat logging facility.

Thanks for any help!  :happy:

Michelle

[no subject] by Muss on 10-27-2002 at 09:21 AM

MSN messenger and messenger are the same thing.

Unless messenger is referring to windows messenger, which is the XP version of MSN messenger.

Normally when peopel speak, MSN = MSN messenger = Messenegr = windows messenger.

Depends on who is sayign it, what OS they have

[no subject] by MJMoore on 10-27-2002 at 09:25 AM

Then I'm confused by comments like this:
MSN Messenger 5 has been released

Windows Messenger 5 has not.

There is a difference between the two, the reason some people are running both 4.7 and 5 is because they are using Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5. They are different programs.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-27-2002 at 10:33 AM

yup that about the long and short of it.

[no subject] by MJMoore on 10-27-2002 at 10:43 AM

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but I still cannot see the difference between "Windows Messenger" and "MSN Messenger".

Unless I'm reading wrongly, some are saying these are different programs, and some say they are one and the same.

:huh:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-27-2002 at 10:52 AM

Windows Messenger is for XP, it contains features not available in MSN messenger shuch as voice and video conversations. MSN Messenger it for windows 9x,ME,2000 and NT. MSN messenger contains less fetures. To have voice and video in msn messenger measn using netmeetign insted of msn messenger, unlike windows messenger were it is all in one program..

[no subject] by Muss on 10-27-2002 at 10:56 AM

But, to someone who just uses it to chat, and doesn't need/want to do that stuff, they are practically the same thing

[no subject] by MJMoore on 10-27-2002 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Windows Messenger is for XP, it contains features not available in MSN messenger shuch as voice and video conversations. MSN Messenger it for windows 9x,ME,2000 and NT. MSN messenger contains less fetures. To have voice and video in msn messenger measn using netmeetign insted of msn messenger, unlike windows messenger were it is all in one program..

Thank you!  :happy:
[no subject] by MJMoore on 10-27-2002 at 11:42 AM

Can anyone help with my second question..
.. if I go ahead, and install 5, will Plus stop working completely, or will some functions still work? I mainly need to get rid of the adverts, and I like the chat logging facility.

Plus, I guess, is there anything in 5 worth updating for?  :happy:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-27-2002 at 11:44 AM

those features you said do not work, when either version mp2 or 1.43 come out tey will work with 5.

[no subject] by MJMoore on 10-27-2002 at 11:50 AM

Thanks again!

Windows MEssenger 5.0 hasn't been released by Albux on 10-27-2002 at 12:53 PM

Hello everybody!! I have found this message in the newsgroup of microsoft. I hope this helps you!!

Greetings Danil,

There isn't a Windows Messenger 5.0 yet (as in, it isn't going to be released in the next
week) but there may be one (should be) in the future.

MSN Messenger 5 is designed to install on XP -- but only as another seperate application, it
does not replace Windows Messenger.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

"Danil Premgi" <premgi99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f5ff01c27d46$bbdb4f50$3aef2ecf@TKMSFTNGXA09...
> Hi!
>
> Basically i've checked some of the posts they all talk
> about the MSN instllation over Win Messenger but my
> questions is when shall there be a Windows Messenger 5.0?
>
> Is MS going to be releasing one or do XP users have stay
> with v4.7.105?
>
> I've seen MSN 5.0 all my friends are using that because
> all of them are on W2K apart from me i've used it and i
> advertise and tell people to try if but my self i'm out
> of date (me getting a bit jealous now....LOL)

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-27-2002 at 02:32 PM

kewl kewl, do you think you can finds any sort of date on it?

MSN 5 Api by Sickness on 10-27-2002 at 04:06 PM

Hi to all of u
patchou please check this out http://www.mess.be/msn5api.htm
maybe it will be useful to u

[no subject] by SystemDown on 10-27-2002 at 04:09 PM

He already saw it :wink:

This is what i found somewhere on the microsoft pages by riball on 10-27-2002 at 04:18 PM

How are MSN Messenger and Windows® Messenger different?

Windows XP comes with Windows Messenger, which remains available even after MSN Messenger 5.0 is installed on your computer.

Here are some things to keep in mind:
Only Windows Messenger can connect to the Communications Service and Exchange Instant Messaging, which are only used in corporations.

Some programs, such as Outlook, Outlook Express, and Remote Assistance, connect to Windows Messenger by default. When you are signed in to MSN Messenger, you may appear offline to people who connect to these programs and have you listed as a contact.

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger can run at the same time, but only one will start automatically. You can start the other program from your list of programs (in Windows, click the Start button, point to All Programs, and then click the program you want to start).

In most cases, MSN Messenger will start automatically whenever you start Windows, unless you turn off this setting in your Messenger options. However, if you have set up Windows Messenger for corporate instant messaging and to start automatically when you start Windows, then it will continue in this manner and MSN Messenger will not start automatically.

You can be signed in to both MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger at the same time, but not with the same .NET Passport account. For instance, you can sign in to MSN Messenger with your Passport and then sign in to Windows Messenger with a different Passport account or with your corporate instant messaging account.

When both programs are running, you will see icons for each in your Windows taskbar (near your computer's clock). You can tell them apart by pointing to them with your mouse. When you point to an icon, a message appears telling you which program it is.

If you are signed in to one Messenger program with your Passport and then sign in to the other one using the same account, you will be automatically signed out of the first program.

http://messenger.msn.com/support/helphome.asp?client=1#Q1b

this is what i found in the microsoft faq

What will happend???? by Julian1984 on 10-27-2002 at 06:42 PM

Would be happend? I hope you could lunch the beta version of MP2 ... What had say the micro$oft people? That u have to pay for the code?? (i don impress if the said that...) Please, we need information...

----------------------------------------------------

Que va a pasar? Espero que saques la version Beta de MP2... Que ha dicho la gente de micro$oft?? Que tienes que pagar por el codigo?? (no me extrañaria q lo hubieran dicho...) Por favor, necesitamos informacion...

[no subject] by Chrono on 10-27-2002 at 06:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Julian1984
Would be happend? I hope you could lunch the beta version of MP2 ... What had say the micro$oft people? That u have to pay for the code?? (i don impress if the said that...) Please, we need information...

----------------------------------------------------

Que va a pasar? Espero que saques la version Beta de MP2... Que ha dicho la gente de micro$oft?? Que tienes que pagar por el codigo?? (no me extrañaria q lo hubieran dicho...) Por favor, necesitamos informacion...

LOL :rolleyes:
[translation] I hope U release the beta version of MP2...
What did the Microsoft people say ? Have U to pay to get the code ? ( I wouldn't be impressed If they said that... ) Please, we need information... [/translation]

ejem... by Julian1984 on 10-27-2002 at 07:01 PM

To the spanish translator: Do u understand it, or not? I'm from Madrid, and not from London!! (It's not necessary to tranlate it to the rest of the people... and less, if in u're nick say that you're the translator to spanish, u think u're more than others...

---------------------------------------

Pal español, se entendia o no?? pos ia sta, q io soy de madrid y no de Londres!!! (no hace falta q corrijas a los demás...y menos q pq ponga q eres el traductor al español o algo asi, te creas superior)

[no subject] by WDZ on 10-27-2002 at 07:02 PM

I could understand it before Chrono translated it... :rolleyes:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-27-2002 at 07:03 PM

So could i if you can read my posts thats no problem ;), it woudl be nice to know some definate information.

[no subject] by CrazyCanoc on 10-28-2002 at 04:10 PM

Please!!! Release V1.43 now!  :cry:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-28-2002 at 04:38 PM

Why do you want it so desperatly!?

[no subject] by CrazyCanoc on 10-28-2002 at 06:14 PM

I love Messenger Plus but MSN Messenger 5 allows me to send files true my corporate firewall. But I miss the logging facility of Messenger Plus.

I would not mind to find a private copy of Messenger Plus 1.43 in my mail box ;)

Just in case:
CrazyCanoc@NOSPAMhotmail.com
(remove NOSPAM)

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-28-2002 at 06:52 PM

lol... be patient my little friend (can anyone tell me from which movie this comes from?).

[no subject] by riball on 10-28-2002 at 08:22 PM

Ok this is a lil off topic but is there a way to show ppl that logging is on...

cuz if i install plus! on my friends computer and i log everything he says (also private things) i could use that against him... not that im like that but i know someone who did that...

might be hard for a solution to this...    :huh:  :undecided:

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-29-2002 at 12:03 AM

Riball, yeah, i know what you mean. I have the same problem.... logging 24/day here, and have friend signing in every time :S
I know Patchou was talking about notifying that parental watch is on so it cant be used for spying... personally i'm also in favor for notyfying people that normal logging is on... just a little text on top of any msgwindow that opens (replace the loggin in on! waring with the creditcard warning).

Patch, watcha think?

Indeed by riball on 10-29-2002 at 08:52 AM

Yes well it happened to my causin too and he isnt very good at english so a translation thingy would be perfect too...

allready heard you talkin about it...

[no subject] by Muss on 10-29-2002 at 09:15 AM

quote:
lol... be patient my little friend (can anyone tell me from which movie this comes from?).

I have no idea, but I am pretty sure it could be from alot of movies  :tongue:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-29-2002 at 12:21 PM

I will give you a clue its padwa *spelling wrong i think* and look at my avatar aswell ;)

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-29-2002 at 02:43 PM

For logging, well, I intend to leave the "credit card warning" message cutomizable. You can always know if logging is active by checking in the "Plus!" menu... in MP2 I also intend to add an option in the Instant Message window menu to temporary disable logging for the current chat.

That's the best thing I can do. Addind another message for normal logging would bother too many people. However, you can be sure that when I add back Parental Watch, there will be a special message displayed.

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-01-2002 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Julian1984
To the spanish translator: Do u understand it, or not? I'm from Madrid, and not from London!! (It's not necessary to tranlate it to the rest of the people... and less, if in u're nick say that you're the translator to spanish, u think u're more than others...

---------------------------------------

Pal español, se entendia o no?? pos ia sta, q io soy de madrid y no de Londres!!! (no hace falta q corrijas a los demás...y menos q pq ponga q eres el traductor al español o algo asi, te creas superior)

:rolleyes:

No creo eso :tongue: Pero tu mensaje deja mucho que desear... digamos que tu ingles es peor que el mio :grin: Y solo queria que los demas entendieran... Y no soy traductor :tongue:, soy soporte en linea :tongue:
[no subject] by jw on 11-01-2002 at 01:28 PM

do you want to put that Oscar speech into english for us mortals? :huh:

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-01-2002 at 05:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jw
do you want to put that Oscar speech into english for us mortals? :huh:

LOL :grin:
[no subject] by user2319 on 11-01-2002 at 07:49 PM

quote:
:rolleyes:

No creo eso :tongue: Pero tu mensaje deja mucho que desear... digamos que tu ingles es peor que el mio :grin: Y solo queria que los demas entendieran... Y no soy traductor :tongue:, soy soporte en linea :tongue:
Languages: The only language that you may use on this forum is English. If you post something in another language, you must provide a translation. Posts that do not comply with this rule will be deleted. pasted from: rules

No just a joke i dont care but now i dont now what it means :sad:
[no subject] by Chrono on 11-01-2002 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by messenger add-ons fan
No just a joke i dont care but now i dont now what it means :sad: 

HEHE I know... I'm one of the oldest member posting here, I know the rules :wink: I just wanted to make Johnny or WDZ angry :tongue: :lipsrsealed:
[no subject] by WDZ on 11-01-2002 at 09:37 PM

* WDZ isn't angry... is Johnny? :grin:

Hmm... we are posting off topic stuff in Patchou's announcement... :lipsrsealed:

[no subject] by ahtea on 11-03-2002 at 05:17 AM

MSN Messenger 5 has been released but not Windows Messenger 5. Those who have both old and new version running should be on WinXP as MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are two different programmes. It has been mentioned in MSN Messenger's download page. Hope this will relieve some curiosity.

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-03-2002 at 05:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ahtea
MSN Messenger 5 has been released but not Windows Messenger 5. Those who have both old and new version running should be on WinXP as MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are two different programmes. It has been mentioned in MSN Messenger's download page. Hope this will relieve some curiosity.

Again, I had both installed And Im not on XP... I have W98SE installed :tongue:
[no subject] by ahtea on 11-03-2002 at 12:51 PM

Personally, I have Windows ME installed on my computer. When I installed MSN Messenger 5.0, my MSN Messenger 4.6 got deleted automatically. I think this is a standard practice however, I noticed that this time round the new version of MSN Messenger isn't insalled in C:/Programme Files/MSN Messenger but now it is installed in C:/Programme Files/Messenger. Is it the case for u guys?  :huh:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-03-2002 at 01:44 PM

Nah XP Users keep both MSN 5 installs to C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger

Windows Messenger what xp users get automaticly is in

C:\Program Files\Messenger

So taht way XP users keep both :-)

[no subject] by Bladerunner on 11-03-2002 at 06:07 PM

Well, I have v5.0 installed seeing as it still logs my chats for me, but I don't get the fact that Chrono stated, as in when you install MSNM5 on XP, its compatible, but it installs to a new directory and leaves 4.7 there. It boggles my mind, lol...

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-03-2002 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikebarlow
Well, I have v5.0 installed seeing as it still logs my chats for me, but I don't get the fact that Chrono stated, as in when you install MSNM5 on XP, its compatible, but it installs to a new directory and leaves 4.7 there. It boggles my mind, lol...

Well, I can't understand what happened :undecided:
I can't show a pic cause I uninstalled V5 :rolleyess:
When? by Brandsite on 11-04-2002 at 05:40 PM

I've only got one question

When will Msn Plus 2.0 be released? :huh:

I'm dutch so thats why my english sucks :tongue:

[no subject] by riball on 11-04-2002 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Brandsite

when its finished...

thats what i think...
[no subject] by Chrono on 11-05-2002 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riball
quote:
Originally posted by Brandsite

when its finished...

thats what i think...

in 4 - 5 weeks maybe
[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-05-2002 at 10:16 PM

i hope so :grin:

How? by Dr_Nick on 11-06-2002 at 01:26 AM

quote:
quote:

Again, I had both installed And Im not on XP... I have W98SE installed :tongue:

How? Where did you download the Windows Messenger then on your Windows 98SE?
[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-06-2002 at 05:42 PM

I dont think you can. :undecided:

[no subject] by sock on 11-06-2002 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Right, but will there ever be a Windows Messenger 5? I'm running Windows XP and I wanna know whether I should wait for Windows Messenger 5 or just uninstall Windows Messenger and use MSN Messenger instead. I already asked about this but nobody seems to know the answer....
[no subject] by Julian1984 on 11-06-2002 at 08:24 PM

Some people thinks that will be out in a few weeks, but other people said that it won't appear ... let's see

U Can turn The Tabs off in Version 5 by DaSniper on 11-07-2002 at 01:17 PM

do the following....

Tools
Options
Privacy

THIS IS A SHARED COMPUTER DONT DISPLAY MY TABS

and ya done....  :grin:

[no subject] by riball on 11-07-2002 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DaSniper
do the following....

Tools
Options
Privacy

Whats this about?
[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-07-2002 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sock
Right, but will there ever be a Windows Messenger 5? I'm running Windows XP and I wanna know whether I should wait for Windows Messenger 5 or just uninstall Windows Messenger and use MSN Messenger instead. I already asked about this but nobody seems to know the answer....
Why would they be? MSN works fine on XP anyway, bit pointless isnt it? The reason Windows Messemger was created was because how it run differently to MSN Messenger. Now that's not needed... so why make Windows? Unless it has a bang load more features in.
[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-07-2002 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riball
quote:
Originally posted by DaSniper
do the following....

Tools
Options
Privacy

Whats this about?
It's helping people on this forum, incase anyone doesnt know how to remove tabs in MSN 5. Which anyone offering help is always appreciated.
[no subject] by riball on 11-07-2002 at 07:38 PM

lol if the ppl would look a lil further the things are told 10 times allready :P

you also have a search option on this forums... only filling in tabs would give you the posts about tabs  :kiss:

just wondered . . . by Spydyrman on 11-08-2002 at 11:02 AM

If anyone realised that Plus still works in 5.0 somewhat? Stupidly, I installed 5.0 and deleted 4.7; while it's gone from the main window, it's still there in the conversation windows.

just thought i'd let you know!

[no subject] by sock on 11-08-2002 at 03:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
Why would they be? MSN works fine on XP anyway, bit pointless isnt it? The reason Windows Messemger was created was because how it run differently to MSN Messenger. Now that's not needed... so why make Windows? Unless it has a bang load more features in.
Well I thought they'd try to "migrate" everyone to Windows Messenger and just forget about MSN Messenger in the next couple of years.... Supporting two prodcut names is quite confusing. So I do agree with you that having both products is unnecessary. I just want to know for sure what Microsoft is planning for us. I got used to calling it Windows Messenger (like Patchou, it seems) and now I need to start calling it MSN Messenger again. Oh well:P.
[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-08-2002 at 07:21 PM

Isnt they going to be a business messenger? Maybe Windows Messenger might get overtaken by that?

[no subject] by gewoon ikke on 11-08-2002 at 08:42 PM

I've been reading this forum for a long time... but this is my first post :grin:

If anyone is still wondering how he can get both MSN messenger version 4.7 AND 5.0 on his computer: if you've already got 5.0 installed, put it in your trash folder... then install version 4.7 again, once you've put version 5.0 back you'll have both :grin:
Well, worked for me anyways(windows ME)

[no subject] by gewoon ikke on 11-09-2002 at 02:34 AM

I think they're both default.. and yes autosignin works on both messengers simultanously(2 different accounts) :grin:  :grin:

MSN 4.6 and 5.0... by Dr_Nick on 11-13-2002 at 02:47 AM

I have installed 5.0 on Win2k and tried to install 4.6 and it said I had a newer version...

So I went to www.mess.be and I downloaded version 1.0...
Installed it (wich works completely fine) and then upgraded it to 4.6...
Now I have both... I'm gonna try 4.7 next... I'll post if it works. ;)

4.7... by Dr_Nick on 11-13-2002 at 02:59 AM

Can someone send me the 4.7, or an url to download it from, cause I don't find it and it's not on mess.be ...

e-mail: dr.nick@skynet.be

Windows XP + MSN Messenger 5.0 + Messenger Plus! 2.0 by sock on 11-13-2002 at 03:31 AM

I just wanted to say that I really hope you could find a way to make MP2 compatible with the Windows XP version of MSN Messenger 5.
I would like to be able to use MP2 with it, without having to draw back to the Windows Messenger.

[no subject] by Jizah on 11-13-2002 at 05:44 AM

not sure if any1 has commented on this but i am running windows messenger on XP and today i was notified a newer version of WINDOWS messenger was available so i clicked yes to update and it began to install MSN messenger 5.0. thought you might find that interesting.... but then again, thats just me  :happy:

[no subject] by Yoji on 11-13-2002 at 03:49 PM

Is there any news yet about when there will be a Plus! update for MSN Messenger 5.0 ???

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-13-2002 at 03:52 PM

Mine hasn't done that.. :s

To the person who wanted 4.7. you can download it from MSN yourself as it's the latest version of WINDOWS Messenger. If you dont have XP, you can't.
[no subject] by jw on 11-13-2002 at 05:00 PM

Mine did that, i told it to go away

[no subject] by Gergith on 11-13-2002 at 11:33 PM

the newest verison, like 5.0.0450 or somehting like that, that was just released, has a windows xp version.. it ISNT windows messenger 5, its msn messenger 5 for xp... so i was just wondering, would that be compatable with this new plus program your working on patchou?

[no subject] by sock on 11-14-2002 at 04:16 AM

My Windows Messenger (on Windows XP) told me there was a newer version like two weeks ago... and it installed MSN Messenger 5.0.... and I would like to keep it. But Patchou says MP2 won't work on the Windows XP version of MSN Messenger 5.0. So that makes a little problem, like I mentioned on my last post to this thread:).

Blah.

[no subject] by Ledesma on 11-14-2002 at 06:40 AM

Hi, I'm Mexican, and i didn't speak English very well, so you have to dismiss my mistakes...

well, I have a question, you said that MSN messenger 5 is a different program than Windows Messenger 4.7, that's why we can have both at the same time.

And Messenger Plus! 1.42 didn't work at all in MSN messenger 5, that's why i didn't use that version.

You said that you will develop the MP2 very soon, and i want to know if this MP2 will work fine with MSN messenger 5, or it'll not?

Thanks, and again, sorry about my English

[no subject] by Ledesma on 11-14-2002 at 06:44 AM

quote:
My Windows Messenger (on Windows XP) told me there was a newer version like two weeks ago... and it installed MSN Messenger 5.0.... and I would like to keep it. But Patchou says MP2 won't work on the Windows XP version of MSN Messenger 5.0. So that makes a little problem, like I mentioned on my last post to this thread:).

Blah.

I had just reply when i read your post... Thats a big problem, because I want to use the windows XP version of MSN Messenger 5, and if the MP2 won't work with that version i really have a problem  :cry:  I loves Messenger Plus! and i want to use it with the Windows XP version of MSN Messenger 5
[no subject] by bjh_101 on 11-14-2002 at 11:01 AM

we all love msgplus! but its microsofts fault   :angry:
do you fink MP2 will ever be compatable with MSN5 in winXP? might microsoft sort it out?   :undecided:

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-14-2002 at 03:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bjh_101
we all love msgplus! but its microsofts fault   :angry:
do you fink MP2 will ever be compatable with MSN5 in winXP? might microsoft sort it out?   :undecided: 
As a hunch, and only that... I think they probably will...
[no subject] by Patchou on 11-15-2002 at 04:39 PM

For the final release, I'll try to find a way to propose some kind of "switch" during installation for WindowsXP .. basically, it would ask "do you want to use MP2 in Messenger 4.7 or 5?"... however, I can'T guarentee anything.

[no subject] by Ledesma on 11-16-2002 at 06:05 AM

quote:
For the final release, I'll try to find a way to propose some kind of "switch" during installation for WindowsXP .. basically, it would ask "do you want to use MP2 in Messenger 4.7 or 5?"... however, I can'T guarentee anything.

I hope that you'll can!!!   :wink:
[no subject] by Bugz on 11-16-2002 at 06:48 PM

You can still download msn messenger 4.7 at the Microsoft Resistance: http://resistance.msnprogz.com/

I'm currently using windows messenger 4.7 and it does not ask me to update to version 5

[no subject] by Bugz on 11-16-2002 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by buqingzi
don't you mean msn messenger 4.6? as far as I know there isn't a msn messenger 4.7.

Have I missed anything? :rolleyes: 

I don't know for sure, I've always used windows messenger, but the authors of the site announce it as msn messenger version 4.7, go check it out!
[no subject] by KoR_GoD_ on 11-17-2002 at 09:06 PM

ok my friend works for micrsoft, and he said it was 4.7 not 4.6

np for the help you are welcome

[no subject] by KoR_GoD_ on 11-17-2002 at 09:10 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
Well I thought they'd try to "migrate" everyone to Windows Messenger and just forget about MSN Messenger in the next couple of years.... Supporting two prodcut names is quite confusing. So I do agree with you that having both products is unnecessary. I just want to know for sure what Microsoft is planning for us. I got used to calling it Windows Messenger (like Patchou, it seems) and now I need to start calling it MSN Messenger again. Oh well:P.

then only reason it is called msn messenger is becuase microsoft make it for anyone with/without windows. but now since they have XP out they just called it windows messenger unstead of msn messenger
[no subject] by sock on 11-18-2002 at 04:48 AM

Oh, that explains it:|.

[no subject] by Xaero on 11-20-2002 at 08:39 PM

hey people, question: i don't get i anymore, will mp2 be compatible with msn 5 and win xp?

[no subject] by Menthix on 11-20-2002 at 10:18 PM

Yes, it wiil be compitable with MSN Messenger 5
Yes, it wiil be compitable with Windows XP
No, it will not be compitable wit MSN5 running on XP

Running MSN5 on any other Windows then XP is fine tough.
Running any other version then MSN5 on XP is also fine.

I guess i'll make a full FAQ about this soon... it's realy gonnna be asked alot when MP2 hits the street.

[no subject] by jw on 11-20-2002 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Well I thought they'd try to "migrate" everyone to Windows Messenger and just forget about MSN Messenger in the next couple of years....

It's started....MSN5 has been released to keep the masses happy, but note it doesn't work with XP (see above), so it will be redundant soon, and Windows Messenger will be the only one left. If that is charged for then you will have no choice.  :undecided:
[no subject] by riball on 11-21-2002 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jae_x777
Yes, it wiil be compitable with MSN Messenger 5
Yes, it wiil be compitable with Windows XP
No, it will not be compitable wit MSN5 running on XP

Running MSN5 on any other Windows then XP is fine tough.
Running any other version then MSN5 on XP is also fine.

I guess i'll make a full FAQ about this soon... it's realy gonnna be asked alot when MP2 hits the street.

Why? boohoo!  :cry:

i like MSN5 (WITH PLUS!) and i dont want to lose my XP...

why is it not possible to let it work?
[no subject] by Menthix on 11-21-2002 at 09:40 AM

MSN5 on XP with Plus! 2 is not possible because of API problems, that's Microsoft's fault. Maybe it will be fixed in the feature, but for now it does not work.

Howevere, you can use WINDOWS Messenger on XP with messenger Plus! 2.

[no subject] by Bugz on 11-21-2002 at 03:34 PM

Just use 4.7 , I think it is better than 5. Why? go check out the Microsoft Resistance: http://resistance.msnprogz.com/

[no subject] by jw on 11-21-2002 at 05:30 PM

Don't take everything you read at face value, Bugz, the resistance do exaggerate somewhat. :rolleyes:

[no subject] by billywoods1 on 11-21-2002 at 06:12 PM

Hey, I fully support the resistance... and (if I could have been bothered to download msn messenger 5 in the first place) I would have changed it for 4.7 straight away! :P

Which bit exactly is exaggerated?

[no subject] by jw on 11-21-2002 at 07:08 PM

OK, the four main points of the Resistance's arguments:
1. Spyware - but do they say what? No, just 'There is spyware.' There is no evidence whatsoever in either direction available to the masses, so innocent until proven guilty.
2. Cannot hide the advertisements - correct me if I'm wrong, but MP2 does this, no? Especially according to the screenshots.
3. No scope for addons - well, what is MP2? A banana? MS released the API details to Patchou after he pointed out the compatibility issues, and they stated that they didn't know it was so popular. It's their program, their servers, and their decision.
4. Eats excess RAM - Until I see some proof, I don't believe it. Claims must be PROVED. Using more RAM can be expected of new versions, it happens all the time and noone complains because unless you are talking in the region of 60Mb, it makes almost no difference at all. 3Mb certainly doesn't.
In all a pretty poor show for such well-respected experts as Eric Causey, Extort and Electrophreak.

[no subject] by Swaptor on 11-21-2002 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Which bit exactly is exaggerated?

Directly taken from the resistance-site:
quote:
Microsoft has intentionally increased the size of the RAM of Msn Messenger from about 7 mbs to 10 mbs, even though there is little change in the design of the program. The reason they did this is to force people on slower computers to think that their computer is working less well, to convince them to upgrade to their latest operating system, Windows XP
So you don't think that's a little far fetched?  :wink:
[no subject] by jw on 11-21-2002 at 07:15 PM

quote:
...even though there is little change in the design of the program.

I forgot that bit...How do they know the program hasn't changed considering it's not open source??
[no subject] by billywoods1 on 11-21-2002 at 07:37 PM

quote:
So you don't think that's a little far fetched?

Well... to be honest... no. :D It is Microsoft, after all. It sounds like something they'd do.

Jw:

1. They do actually mention that 'customer improvement' thing, and give two screenshots.

2. and 3. MP2 isn't released yet... they might not know about it :P Even if they do, they might mean that no current addons do it... an addon is no good if you can't have it.

4. As you said, all new programs probably do take up more RAM... I suppose this could be an exaggeration, but even though they don't provide proof, that doesn't completely rule it out. How exactly can they tell if it uses more RAM? (I'll test it...)

And technically, although they were only stating the blatantly obvious in quote 4, they're still right. :D
[no subject] by AI on 11-23-2002 at 12:22 AM

True: They didn't change much. They actually change so little you don't even notice, and than a RAM increase from 7 to 10 Mb? I'd improved it and make a decrease: I think he's somewhere near right.

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-23-2002 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
It is Microsoft, after all.
Just because they are who they are, certain bad things should be expected from them? :rolleyes:

quote:
1. They do actually mention that 'customer improvement' thing, and give two screenshots.
Sure, but how do they know what kind of data is being sent to Microsoft? Do they have proof that the feature isn't used for legitimate reasons? I don't think so.
[no subject] by AI on 11-23-2002 at 12:19 PM

U know how micro$oft is. :tongue:

User-friendlyness is not what it used 2 be

So: :refuck: micro$oft