Shoutbox

TechTV - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: TechTV (/showthread.php?tid=19018)

TechTV by ecko_complex on 12-06-2003 at 12:07 AM

Many of you may or may not know about this TV (Cable) channel called 'TechTV' (http://www.techtv.com/techtv/index.html/). Any way, I was watching it today and I had the most awesome of awesome brainwaves; lets try get Messenger Plus! onto TechTV. I think it would fit perfectly and would be a great form of publicity to the Messenger Plus! and the community.

Anyway, just an idea.

Peace out, ecko_complex.

RE: TechTV by EvilSeph on 12-06-2003 at 12:35 AM

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/...30,3407633,00.html

RE: TechTV by ecko_complex on 12-06-2003 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Messenger Plus! Extension 1.42b
Hasn't Messenger Plus! come a long way sinse then? Or am I mistaken...
RE: TechTV by Jeronimo on 12-06-2003 at 12:56 AM

Plus version 2 is indeed a very different beast to the old version 1. Forgive me for saying this Patchou, but version 2 seems like a piece of professional software, whereas the older versions lacked that final bit of polish.

It has evolved now into what I deem as essential software. Its something I put on my machine first, and it will certainly be the last off, if at all. I wish that more people could share the joy that is Plus, so how do we get it on TechTV?

RE: TechTV by ecko_complex on 12-06-2003 at 01:40 AM

quote:
so how do we get it on TechTV?
That's why I started this thread (h).
quote:
Plus version 2 is indeed a very different beast to the old version 1
Thats exactly why Messenger Plus! needs some attention like this and I'm sure it WILL get it, not some mediocre page I mean actualy on the channel. Plus! 1.4b (or what ever the version was) was in a respected magazine here and got rave reviews so they started adding more Messenger things to the magazine. If 1.4b can do that 2.5 will do 100 times as much.
RE: TechTV by EvilSeph on 12-06-2003 at 01:50 AM

I'll see what I can do -- I'll contact Patchou and ask for permission, the usual stuff :)

RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-06-2003 at 02:34 AM

send Cat or Sarah an email (cat@techtv.com or sarah@techtv.com) it depends if u want it on Call for Help or THe screen savers. call for help is at 3pmEST/noon PST and TSS is 7pmEST/4pmPST. take ur pick :P. i've been thinking about this for a while..

i really need to get out more :P

RE: TechTV by EvilSeph on 12-06-2003 at 02:37 AM

I've been thinking about adverts and media and etc too..just never gotten around to asking Patchou, I'm always too busy or get sidetracked :(

RE: TechTV by Guido on 12-06-2003 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ecko_complex
Many of you may or may not know about this TV (Cable) channel called 'TechTV'
And many of us know of it but can't watch it :P

So if it finally gets in the small screen, please someone tape it, capture it and post it here (y). I offer hosting :)
RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-06-2003 at 02:53 AM

they actually have streaming video of all their segment :D soits no effort on our part :D

RE: TechTV by Chrono on 12-06-2003 at 03:15 AM

woah good idea, would be cool... Messenger Plus!'s next step: TELEVISION! :banana:

RE: TechTV by Patchou on 12-06-2003 at 05:01 AM

Thank you for your efforts.. I still have the tape of when Plus! 1.4 was presented on TechTV a year ago :)

RE: TechTV by ecko_complex on 12-06-2003 at 05:02 AM

Whoa didn't know 1.4 was on TechTV :|.

RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-06-2003 at 01:13 PM

there was a link in one of the posts in the first page.....

so PAtchou, u gonna ask them about it?? i need to know if i have to leave work early or not :p

RE: TechTV by Patchou on 12-07-2003 at 04:24 PM

You can send them emails yourselves you know :)

RE: TechTV by reisyboy on 12-07-2003 at 04:34 PM

Lol i am going to :d ive also goiing to submit you to PC Plus :)

RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-07-2003 at 04:39 PM

ya, but i figured it'd be better for the developer to ask them, as opposed to some random guy...

RE: TechTV by reisyboy on 12-07-2003 at 05:13 PM

Well if people recomened the software its more likely as its been recomened not put forward by the developer.

Sounds like blowing your own trumpet if ya get what i mean :)

RE: TechTV by WDZ on 12-07-2003 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Well if people recomened the software its more likely as its been recomened not put forward by the developer.

Sounds like blowing your own trumpet if ya get what i mean :)
Yeah, I agree.
RE: TechTV by Jeronimo on 12-07-2003 at 08:12 PM

So I am guessing Patchou that you are happy for us to promote your software, obviously being sensible about it?

I guess we could write to a few websites and such. I know computer magazines sometimes have a downloads section.

I'd love to see Plus become as popular as Trillian. Only difference being, Plus is free and is actually good 8-)

RE: TechTV by volkl on 12-07-2003 at 08:19 PM

whats trillian? :-/

RE: TechTV by Tochjo on 12-07-2003 at 08:20 PM

Trillian is a multinetwork chat client that currently supports mIRC, AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo Messenger. It supports docking, multiline edit boxes, buddy alerts, multiple connections to the same medium, a powerful skinning language, easy importing of your existing contacts, skinnable emoticons, logging, global away/invisible features, and a unified contact list. It has a direct connection for AIM, support for user profiles, complete type formatting, buddy icons, proxy support, emotisounds, encrypted instant messaging to ICQ and AIM, AIM group chats, and shell extensions for file transfers.

RE: TechTV by Jeronimo on 12-07-2003 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
Trillian is a multinetwork chat client that currently supports mIRC, AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo Messenger. It supports docking, multiline edit boxes, buddy alerts, multiple connections to the same medium, a powerful skinning language, easy importing of your existing contacts, skinnable emoticons, logging, global away/invisible features, and a unified contact list. It has a direct connection for AIM, support for user profiles, complete type formatting, buddy icons, proxy support, emotisounds, encrypted instant messaging to ICQ and AIM, AIM group chats, and shell extensions for file transfers.
This translates to an IM client that pisses M$ off, is not as good as the combination of MSN and Plus, and costs about $25 per year, and you get maybe 1 update. :undecided:
RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-07-2003 at 10:05 PM

just to tell you all, i sent out a message to Cat Shwartz and Sarah Lane of TechTV fame asking them to consider Plus! as a free file/Download of the day heres the basic body of the message i sent to Cat (the one to sarah wan't much different, just changed a little)

quote:
Cat-- first off, I love the show, and read your blog regularly. its really interesting. keep up the good work. but i have a suygestion for a free file that adds alot of functionality to the MSM Messenger Client. an earlier version was featured on call for help maybe a year ago, when Chris was still the host, but was away at comdex (last aired 11/18, which i assume is 2002). the link to the old story: http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/...30,3407633,00.html but it has come  A LONG way since then, and has turned into a highquality product. i now has the ability to add colors to an IM, and has Boos Protection, Instant Lock, Personalized Status, quicktext, a quickicons panel that lets the user have as many Custom emoticons listed as they would like, sound comands that play a sound on both ends of the chat, quick recall a la IRC, custom Naming of contacts, and so many more features that i dont have time to mention in this email. i think it would make a great Free File of the day. it does have an optional sponsor program (you have to explicitly tell it to install the sponsor), which is a VERY watered down version of LOP.com. the sponsor can be uninstalled by simply uninstalling Plus!, and then Plus! can be reinstalled without the sponsor. it also has a very good support forum at http://shoutbox.menthix.net (i'm a member). the offiecial site of Plus is http://www.msgplus.net, and the author (Patchou) can be contacted at mplus@patchou.com. i'm also gonna send this to Sarah, so you two can fight over which show it'll be on :-p

hope you like the program. from all of us in the messenger Plus! community, we hope you like the program

lets see what happens!!
RE: TechTV by reisyboy on 12-07-2003 at 10:32 PM

hope it works :)

RB off to email some mags :)

RE: TechTV by Guido on 12-07-2003 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
hope it works :)

RB off to email some mags :)
we should have a section in msgplus.net like mess.be (used to) had with pictures from magazines where msgplus appears, links to rare download sites (localized ones, for examples), reviews, etc. What u think? Something like an Reviews & Awards page. Hopefully, techtv could be there too :P

RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-07-2003 at 10:47 PM

ya. i mean, i sent it to two shows and told the girls to fight it out (i wish i could see THAT cat fight[no pun intended]). it shud be on at least one of them!!!

RE: TechTV by Jeronimo on 12-07-2003 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
we should have a section in msgplus.net like mess.be (used to) had with pictures from magazines where msgplus appears, links to rare download sites (localized ones, for examples), reviews, etc. What u think? Something like an Reviews & Awards page. Hopefully, techtv could be there too :P
I think this would be a good idea. What we need to be sure of, is that Plus gets around enough so you will have some good awards to add to that page! For anyone using Messegner, it should not be too hard to convince them :)

I have dropped a line to PCPro in the UK, which is the biggest mag we have here. Fingers crossed that the man in charge of this stuff (Davey Winder for those interested) likes what he sees :gfdrin:
RE: TechTV by ecko_complex on 12-08-2003 at 09:01 PM

Hmmm, make sure you tell us as soon as she replies bach_m :).

Hopefully we can start a whole chain of press attention on Messenger Plus :). Ill e-mail the magazine over here tonight.

RE: TechTV by reisyboy on 12-08-2003 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Woudl eb very nice are u up2 making it though GFD:P

RE: TechTV by bach_m on 12-08-2003 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ecko_complex
Hmmm, make sure you tell us as soon as she replies bach_m .

i will, and BTW, i sent it to two ppl. its only 2:45 over in san fransisco, so there still is hope. and if not today, then tomorow! or the next day, or the next.....