Shoutbox

How much memory does Plus use on your machine? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? (/showthread.php?tid=19095)

How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Jeronimo on 12-07-2003 at 11:17 PM

My friend has chosen not to install Plus on his machine as he doesn't want "unnecessary stuff using up memory". While I would normally agree, I looked to see how much memory Plus is using, and its currently an amazingly small 280Kb :shocked:

Just wondered how much memory people find its using? Easy enough to check in Task Manager for those of us with NT/2000/XP etc, and anyone with a relevant prog on 9x/ME.

Just want to some ammo to use against him. Thanks for the help guys and gals!

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by CookieRevised on 12-07-2003 at 11:19 PM

at this moment: 328Kb... biggest peek 2556Kb...
(/me slaps Jeronimo's friend)

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by musicalmidget on 12-07-2003 at 11:20 PM

Mine says 612K.  Even so, Plus! isn't exactly a huge memory stealing resource hogging program...it's an add-on for one. :tongue:

If your friend thinks that is a lot of space he must be very low on hard-drive space, or is just making up excuses.  Ah well, it's his loss. :p

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by CookieRevised on 12-07-2003 at 11:21 PM

memory usage of a program has nothing to do with HDD-space or available RAM (well you can't use more then you have :p)

btw: I'm very curious of what your friends has as processes, Jeronimo...

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Apatik on 12-07-2003 at 11:22 PM

508ko *-)

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by volkl on 12-07-2003 at 11:23 PM

mines using 2,148k at the moment

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by chris on 12-07-2003 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by musicalmidget
If your friend thinks that is a lot of space he must be very low on hard-drive space,
you mean ram?
edit geez i need to stop doing other things while i am replying to a thred:s
RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by musicalmidget on 12-07-2003 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
memory usage of a program has nothing to do with HDD-space :p

I know, I got my wires crossed...I've been trying to buy a hard-drive all day, it's melted into my mind. :p

What I think I meant to say, is that he must be low on memory instead...and if you can't spare a few hundred kb, then :blah!:.

:tongue:

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Jeronimo on 12-07-2003 at 11:26 PM

I agree with you guys, he needs a slap. :gfdrin: Means I can't use sounds with him, and the most annoying is not being able to use text formatting with him (bold, colours etc).

I agree that less is more, when it comes to installing stuff, but I think he is just making an excuse. Does him no harm to install it, and would allow him to "Experience the complete Messenger"™.

Nothing I do seems to make that 280Kb increase at the minute ;)

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by musicalmidget on 12-07-2003 at 11:29 PM

I just made it decrease, but that's because I closed Messenger and Plus! because I'm going to bed...probably a good job judging by my last few posts. :p

Even so, I don't recall ever seeing the usage figure going higher than three digits...so it's still quite a small amount. :-/

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by CookieRevised on 12-07-2003 at 11:33 PM

<off topic>

Yes I did....
But that doesn't matter... A program will not use less/more total memory if you're harddisk is bigger or smaller... (and it doesn't matter if the memory is created virtually as a page-file or in real RAM).... :XP:

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by BooGhost on 12-07-2003 at 11:34 PM

it really depends...... but right now 2.478

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Choli on 12-07-2003 at 11:34 PM

My Plus!:
Current memory use: 324 Kb
Private bytes (virtual memory): 908 Kb
Maximun usage: 2436 KB
But you have to count also the memory needed for the hook .DLLs
Anyway, Plus! doesn't take a lot of memory. (Messenger, for example, takes about 18Mb and noone complains ^o))

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Jeronimo on 12-07-2003 at 11:50 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I knew it didn't use much memory, but nice to have all your confirmations.

I'll prompt him again to see if he will install Plus, for my benefit if not his ;) I do remember him saying he only really used to use Plus for the logging, but now MSN 6.x has it, he doesn't need Plus. Has anyone seen the size of the XMLs that MSN creates??! :shocked:

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by MoRiA on 12-08-2003 at 12:27 AM

the latest version of Plus! included some major changes to prevent it using as much memory. I can't code in C but It seems to me that all the main code is now in external DLLs and called from the main, 136KB, file.
MsgPlus is using 228KB on here atm with MSN 6.1 using an amazingly low 18404KB...
I seem to remember MsgPlus using around 8MB before these changes, btw ;)

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by BooGhost on 12-08-2003 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
I seem to remember MsgPlus using around 8MB before these changes,
:O

wow now that i see MSN Messenger is just taking 5.142kb (normally 15 up)

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Jeronimo on 12-08-2003 at 12:38 AM

Yes MSN seems something of a memory hog, esp when compared to Plus. I'll make this known to my friend. The real hogs on my system are Firebird (I still love it!), and my firewall, which use circa 30Mb each!

I can't see Plus impacting on performance. It uses seemingly no processing power, and not much memory. I doubt startup times would dramatically increase after Plus is installed. :gfdrin:

So thats another pat on the back for you Patchou! :bow:

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Guido on 12-08-2003 at 01:17 AM

msgplus.exe 700kb
msnmsgr.exe 16.552kb

(total ram 512mb)

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by s7a5 on 12-08-2003 at 03:44 AM

mine varies from 2.9 to 200 kb
once the comp is restarted it uses more memory then in usual status

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by xsRush on 12-08-2003 at 04:50 AM

Right now Plus! is at 360K
MSN Messenger is at 1,908K

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Patchou on 12-08-2003 at 06:11 AM

I'm sorry to break your bubble (french expression) but you can't estimate the real memory that is taken by an application by checking the Task Manager... Windows is an intelligent operating system that often doesn't take the time to clean objects in memory as long as it's not necessary. As a result, an application can seem to take 20 times the memory it is really taking.

msgplus.exe doesn't do anything at all  while it's running on your system, it's kept there for security reasons only. The process doesn't eats more than 128KB of real memory and has been specifically designed with memory constraints in mind (so that Plus! doesn't harm your system in any way and that you don't find excuses to remove it from the Windows startup and complain about other related problems :p).

Messenger Plus! uses a noticeable amount of memory only in the Messenger process so you'll probably never be able to do a real estimate of its usage :). Don't worry, memory optimization is one of those things I'm spending time on, even if I'm not talking about it. For what I've seen, Plus! uses around 1MB of memory in the Messenger process, which, I think, is ok as Messenger itself generally uses 15MB or more.

RE: How much memory does Plus use on your machine? by Jeronimo on 12-08-2003 at 08:46 AM

Thanks for the reply Patchou! I think what we can all agree is on, is that Plus doesn't use much in the way of resources :)

It is nice that you take memory optimisation into account, even in the days where RAM is cheap as chips (english expression ;) )