Shoutbox

Messenger 5 News - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: Messenger 5 News (/showthread.php?tid=1915)

Messenger 5 News by Patchou on 10-31-2002 at 08:27 PM

Good afternoon,

just got some news from Microsoft... apparently they apprciate what I'm doing with Messenger... I'm very surprized but hey, that's a very good news (for me at least :)). Apparently, there was some internal problems at Microsoft which resulted in the non-update of the API documentation. Now that they know that it causes a lot of problems to some people they are supposed to do what they have to do to solve the problem... great!

In the mean time I've completed the new Personalized Status feature (the old Perso Away renamed). I know it can seems to have taken a lot of time for this single feature (and it was not much improved since last version) but in some ways it's related to multi color/format text and logging so I had to do a lot of code that it going to help me with the forthcoming features.

For those who are interested in my personal life, well... this evening I'm suppose to eat chicken with mushrooms. I'm looking forward to see the Simpsons Halloween Special  on Fox this week end.... :p ... seriously, this evening I'll release the Interactive Agents Plugin update for Messenger 5 to ActiveBuddy. After they've done some beta test, they will release it to the public. You should try it, it's really a great tool (mostly interesting for USA people though).

I'm also going to add some more commands to MP2. Starting tomorrow I'll code the multi color/format feature... if you do not know what I'm talkign about, it's the feature that will allow you to send different colors in the same texts... exactly like IRC... if we're lucky enough, it will be really like IRC, by that I mean that it will add the underline and the background color option for your text. That's one of the feature I hope will make MP2 a success.

Again, I hope that the Alpha version will be available for the end of next week. I want to add logging first so.. we'll see.... for those interested in scripting, I still don't know what to do as it will directly be related to the Messenger API I can use.

Patchou.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-31-2002 at 08:47 PM

yippie :D:D:D

[no subject] by jw on 10-31-2002 at 09:11 PM

Microsoft? Cooperating? Funny things can happen... ;)

Great news though, can't wait for the alphas. :D

[no subject] by Patchou on 10-31-2002 at 09:13 PM

In fact, I intend to improve the logging feature to make it more reliable and more some other things but unfortunately, MP2 will probably not feature HTML logging.... the reason is that it's too big for the current time I have.

However, what I would liek to see is a good log viewer... the one that did Ginge is already very good... I suppsoe I won't add any log viewer with MP2 but I'll probably do it for next versions.

Patchou.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-31-2002 at 10:04 PM

Do you thin html in future versions aswell or maybe as a seperate patch for people who want it  :undecided:

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-31-2002 at 10:09 PM

MS recieve so much stick... if it wasnt for them they wouldnt be a Plus! Kinda hypocritical isnt it? :undecided:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-31-2002 at 10:15 PM

Good point, but they are a bit of a money grabbing company that just buys out any competition.

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 10-31-2002 at 10:16 PM

Im sure if you were in the same situations, youd do the same thing... its called business. After all, they need and will make money like anyone else.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 10-31-2002 at 10:25 PM

yeh i see your point, and i probably would, but people dont like them because they have to much of a monopoly.

[no subject] by Menthix on 10-31-2002 at 11:19 PM

Wow! great news man.

[no subject] by 2Cold_Scorpio on 11-01-2002 at 12:01 AM

Would it be possible to have each person in each conversation in the Chat Logger have a different color, even without using HTML?  It'd make reading it a bit easier.

For example:

2Cold said:  yadda yadda
Jim said:  Yadda yadda

But instead of it all being black, who not have one person be black, one be red or soemthing?

] 2Cold said:  yadda yadda
Jim said:  Yadda yadda

Is that possible? 

Also, one of these days, it be neat to see the emoticons as actual images in the logger as an option.  Just my two cents.  :D

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-01-2002 at 12:08 AM

I don't see why people dislike Microsoft... I don't have any problem with them... :undecided:

Anyways, great news! (y) I was kinda looking forward to HTML logging, though... :P

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-01-2002 at 12:25 AM

hmm so was i, who knows maybe a future version or a seperate patch what you think patchou?

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-01-2002 at 05:29 AM

Great Chritstmas Yoda!

For logging, of course I intend to put HTML but probably not in version 2.00... there's just too much things to do and HTML logging would take more than 1 week of work to be done properly so I prefer to keep it for a next verison. But don't worry, logging, as everything, will be completly rewritten and it will be far more reliable and better organized with some new options. I'm sure you prefer to have great TXT logs rather than average HTML ones.

Concerning Microsoft, you know, if it was not for them I wouldn't even have a job. I really like Windows, it's a great environment. Microsoft is one of the companies that does the best job when software development is concerned. I never said anything against them... if they refuse to give me access to their API they have reasons, and good ones... I'm not sure I would like someone to "patch" a program I made as I'm doing with their software. Actually, they're taking all this very nicely so we can thank them for that.

[no subject] by Sholin on 11-01-2002 at 05:32 AM

YYYAYYYYYY MP2 WILL LIVE ON! ;)

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-01-2002 at 05:51 AM

Great news Patchou :grin:

[no subject] by Menthix on 11-01-2002 at 05:35 PM

Welcome Mess.Be visitors  :D :P

[no subject] by riball on 11-01-2002 at 07:08 PM

I can't wait till it comes out!

[no subject] by user2319 on 11-01-2002 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riball
I can't wait till it comes out!

that goes for me either!!! :happy:  :grin:
[no subject] by ChAoS on 11-01-2002 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Great Chritstmas Yoda!

lolz
quote:
For logging, of course I intend to put HTML but probably not in version 2.00... there's just too much things to do and HTML logging would take more than 1 week of work to be done properly so I prefer to keep it for a next verison. But don't worry, logging, as everything, will be completly rewritten and it will be far more reliable and better organized with some new options. I'm sure you prefer to have great TXT logs rather than average HTML ones.

HTML or TXT, I just want a nice viewer for them  :wink:  :happy:
quote:
Concerning Microsoft, you know, if it was not for them I wouldn't even have a job. I really like Windows, it's a great environment. Microsoft is one of the companies that does the best job when software development is concerned. I never said anything against them... if they refuse to give me access to their API they have reasons, and good ones... I'm not sure I would like someone to "patch" a program I made as I'm doing with their software. Actually, they're taking all this very nicely so we can thank them for that.
I wouldn't want it to happen to my software either. If only they @ Micro$oft would make it GPL  :wink:  :cheesy:  :grin:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-01-2002 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jae_x777
Welcome Mess.Be visitors  :D :P
Yeh i kno there are loads since you new bit of news got posted
[no subject] by Extort on 11-01-2002 at 11:45 PM

Well... personally, you call them a business and they need money. Well with them selling millions of copys of software every day, do you really think they need that money?
Bill gates is the richest man in the world, what does anyone need all that money for?

Great News about the MSN 5 API, i know it is kinda restricted at the moment, but you can grab your contact list, and other information, but without MsgrObject it is very limited.

Patchou, MSN Developers are greatful for this help ;) hope you've seen our piss take and support for the re-introduction of MSN API :D
http://resistance.msnprogz.com

[no subject] by SystemDown on 11-02-2002 at 08:01 AM

I searched in the MSDN library for the old api reference, but I found this on the old page:

quote:
The Messenger API References have been updated and are available for download in the MSDN Download Center.

I downloaded this new reference here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?u.../001/359/topic.xml
But I don't see a difference with the old api reference. That old thing was also not for MsgrObject but for the api we have to use now... I don't think it shall help us.. And I hope it is not the new API documentation that they said to release...

Rene
IRC by Dreamingweb on 11-02-2002 at 10:36 AM

The more like IRC the better :) - thanks again for your efforts going out of your way to code some cool software for us ppl :P

Away System by f3nd3r on 11-02-2002 at 10:53 AM

Now that the Personalised Away system is complete, does this mean that i can now have a different personalised away message be sent to each of my contacts and for it to show in the IM window? Or is it one message for ALL contacts and sent invisible?

What about *Windows* Messenger 5? by sock on 11-02-2002 at 06:19 PM

Hey people.

Patchou - You're doing a great work dude! I was wondering... How do you pronounce your nickname?:happy: BTW I volunteered to translate MP2 through your site to Hebrew.... hope you got that... And umm... In the customized away thing? Could you make an option NOT to get prompted for an away reason when I set away... it drives me crazy:).

Anyhow. So the 5th version of the MSN Messenger is here. That's great. And it works on my XP. But hey - didn't they say the MSN Messenger doesn't work on Windows XP? That XP has its own Messenger that works with the MSN Messenger Service, but is strictly a Windows...... thingie?

Why are they making this so confusing? If it works on XP, there's no need to release a new Windows Messenger.... but they're breaking their own words with this. Does anyone know anything about this? I really don't like when they do such stuff.

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-02-2002 at 09:30 PM

well i am english do french and i fidn it fukin hard to speek frenc.

[no subject] by Sholin on 11-03-2002 at 04:00 AM

ya, my sneezes sound like im saying patchou... if he lived here he'd always look around for someone calling his name.. and its just me sneezing :P

[no subject] by ahtea on 11-03-2002 at 05:10 AM

I think it is good news to all MSN Messenger 5 users as it will means we are able to use more plugins from other vendors like MP2 and Norton AntiVirus 2003 will work with MSN Messenger 5!  :grin:

[no subject] by Muss on 11-03-2002 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
yeh i see your point, and i probably would, but people dont like them because they have to much of a monopoly.

YOu really need to play monopoly, it is quite fun buying people out then rubbing it in their faces  :grin:
[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-03-2002 at 11:55 AM

i know i got the cd gam of it  :grin:

Patchu Ki Gand me Hathi Ka Laand! by oxtie on 11-03-2002 at 05:14 PM

Yo great dude Patchou! As I knew you wouldn't get better.  :grin:  Planning for another holiday? Screw the damn project man there is nothing left! Right yo all people?

Okie people... you may hit my butt! (gently... have some basic mannerz...LOL)

[no subject] by phaelox on 11-03-2002 at 06:14 PM

I love Msger Plus! Extension and no other "plus" comes even close, but I like the logviewer from these guys

[Image: plus_viewer.jpg ]

(the rest of their prog sucks though :P)

keep up the good work ;)
phaelox

[no subject] by jw on 11-03-2002 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oxtie
Yo great dude Patchou! As I knew you wouldn't get better.  :grin:  Planning for another holiday? Screw the damn project man there is nothing left! Right yo all people?

is he always like that? what a nice guy...
[no subject] by Chrono on 11-03-2002 at 06:38 PM

Grammasoft again ...:tongue:
Stop talking about "their" program ...

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-03-2002 at 06:41 PM

Shutup about the evil (6) program

[no subject] by zerocool on 11-03-2002 at 09:27 PM

how can i use multi msn with msn 5.0

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-03-2002 at 10:12 PM

You need to download a patch from mess.be.

And I would hit the delete button... but we do need one post that everyone can see "Deleted" under your username. :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 12:30 AM

my god.... why do you post so much during the we? all my free time is during the week, when I'm at work hehe ;).

Ok... hum.. for the Personalized Status, no you can't specify one different for each contact, however, you can deactivate it individualy in each im window if you want. You can also put yourself in Perso Away quickly by using a user-defined shortcut or a command (like /away <my text>)

Messenger Plus! in hebrew? excellent! that way I'm sure Jesus will be able to use my software if he resurects soon enough. j/k... no that's great, really, thank you.

Concerning my name, yeah it's pronouned Pat-shoe. For a real news, check out my new post :)

[no subject] by sock on 11-04-2002 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Messenger Plus! in hebrew? excellent! that way I'm sure Jesus will be able to use my software if he resurects soon enough. j/k... no that's great, really, thank you.
LOL:grin:. Actually ICQ is dominant in Israel (it was invented/developped by an Israeli company).... But my *entire* school uses the MSN Messenger (and it's a 6-grade junior/high school:tongue:)... We're really quite a community of MSN users:happy: And that's how I started using it too.... I really didn't want to at first... "MSN? what's that crap? I'm staying with my ICQ!".... Now I'm using both programs, but I really prefer the Messenger. It's more "lite"... and that's the most important thing in a program IMHO. And you're making some neat work with the Plus! thingie. Lots of people from my school use it:happy:. So I'd be happy to contribute.... Just drop me mail when you're ready:happy:.

Anyway! Isn't anyone going to say anything about the MSN Messenger reappearing on Windows XP in version 5 instead of having Windows Messenger 5:huh:? I'm really curious about this.
[no subject] by riball on 11-04-2002 at 02:24 PM

to be honest... "I Seek You" sucks... but much ppl have it...  thats why i installed it too...

ICQ is dangerous... hehe thats the right word

getting a IP is easy and sending a trojan too...

i got to use MSN5 COM! =))) by __cyan on 11-04-2002 at 04:38 PM

Hi guys,

So you all know by now that M$ removed typelib from MSN5. But i did a little research and found... yes, interfaces are the same! =) They renamed interfaces and they changed GUIDs, but here's what you can do: use MSN4 and OLE viewer to produce .c and .h files for MSN4. Now in .c change GUIDs, and you don't need to bother about interfaces names, really.

The only thing i can add is that behaviour has changed too, just a bit. E.g. get_IMWindows can fail when MSN is not signed in, but that's not so important.

Hope you'll find above useful. And keep community going! Cheers! =))

Sincerely, cyan

a little oops by __cyan on 11-04-2002 at 05:12 PM

and MsgrObject CoClass GUID changed. here's appropriate declaration

MIDL_DEFINE_GUID(CLSID, CLSID_MSNMsgrObject,0xF5F545A6, 0x39C4, 0x40B5, 0x81, 0x4D, 0xB4, 0x50, 0x40, 0xA8, 0x9F, 0xB5);

[no subject] by SystemDown on 11-04-2002 at 05:47 PM

The MsgrObject has been totally deleted in MSN 5.0... No way to get it back!

Rene

MsgrObject by __cyan on 11-04-2002 at 06:11 PM

nope . following code gets called OK (but doesn't do signoff, need to think more)

MIDL_DEFINE_GUID(IID, IID_IMSNMsgrObject,0x0F66A667,0x732D,0x4509,0xA5,0x95,0x9E,0x31,0x35,0x8D,0xA1,0x9C);
MIDL_DEFINE_GUID(CLSID, CLSID_MSNMsgrObject,0xF5F545A6, 0x39C4, 0x40B5, 0x81, 0x4D, 0xB4, 0x50, 0x40, 0xA8, 0x9F, 0xB5);

COMInterfaceHolder<IMsgrObject> app_iface;
        HRESULT res = CoCreateInstance(CLSID_MSNMsgrObject, NULL,
            CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER, IID_IMSNMsgrObject,
            (void**) app_iface.get_interface_ptr());

ASSERT(SUCCEEDED(res));
        (*app_iface)->Logoff();
:cool:

[no subject] by SystemDown on 11-04-2002 at 06:33 PM

Hm, I can't understand C++...But I really think the old API is deleted...You don't see them in the OLE viewer. What do other people think?

Rene

MP2 and simpsons by Mr.Shankly on 11-04-2002 at 07:02 PM

Well first of all first time Post!!

and i would just like to say PLEASE release new Plus! i cant open my messenger anymore at work i need transparency.
And the other thing is i dont know whats happening with the simpsons, dont get me wrong im a really big fan, but this halloween special was nowhere near the last ones. i really wish they would have put more effort into it. there were a couple of good jokes do.

anyways thats my opinion

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 07:17 PM

I agree with what you are saying for The Simpsons... I expected more for this special episode.... but you know... 13 years... they must be out of ideas now.

OLE viewer and MSN5 by __cyan on 11-05-2002 at 08:24 AM

2Rene: you're seeking them in wrong place ;-))) Try "All objects", then instantiate object with GUID from my previous post (double-click on object node), you'll see all those interfaces.

P.S.: and do learn C++ ;-)

Personalised Away by f3nd3r on 11-05-2002 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for answering my question Patchou. It appears you are doing a great job on MP2. One more question. Will the away messages appear in the IM Windows when they are sent?

[no subject] by Chrono on 11-05-2002 at 01:52 PM

quote:
I agree with what you are saying for The Simpsons... I expected more for this special episode.... but you know... 13 years... they must be out of ideas now.

I liked it :rolleyes:
[no subject] by KoR_GoD_ on 11-17-2002 at 09:33 PM

hey now patch,,

where can i download this patch for 5.0 i see screan shoots but i can not get it  :cry:  :cry:

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-17-2002 at 10:55 PM

If you're talking about Messenger Plus! 2, it's not ready yet. :P

[no subject] by AI on 11-23-2002 at 12:23 PM

It's going 2 B alpha tested very soon
(in less than 2 days)
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: