Shoutbox

ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 (/showthread.php?tid=19204)

ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-11-2003 at 05:20 AM

ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 final release

English version preview:
(Because my MSN6 Messenger is Traditional Chinese version, so the preview have some Chinese words, those are pure English in English version)
[Image: ChrisTorngStyleMessageLog20_en-us.jpg]

2003/12/11 Version 2.0 modified:

1. Fix the bug of cannot delete messages
2. Can select multiple sessions and delete once
3. Speed up display
4. Simplified content title
5. There are processing message before process finish, process can be interrupt
6. Direct link to the last session
7. Readme file change to web page and have link to it
8. The file link show direct in message text
9. Add setting window, move Show/hide Invitation/InvitationResponse and Join/Leave messages settings in
10. Inside setting window can dynamic change display language, message body and other text size
11. No longer different file version download, English is default language, you can change to other language in setting window
12. New setup program for automaticaly install and uninstall, default language is English
13. Other minor fixes and improvements

Download setup
More information

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by Choli on 12-11-2003 at 10:00 AM

Looks nice. I'll give it a try ;)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 12-12-2003 at 11:58 AM

publish it on mess.be :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-16-2003 at 01:45 AM

Very thank to your suggestion. In fact, I had send it to submit * mess.be many times (older version 2-3 times, this version 1 time). Maybe due to my poor English, there are no any response and of course they are never been published. Maybe they just think my email is a junk mail and deleted it? Just my two old and worse version (Messenger Plus! style message logs, Messenger Plus! style message logs v2) is still there. I really hope to change to current version. Can you help me to tell/notify them of this?

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by dwergs on 12-16-2003 at 02:21 AM

Got it!

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-16-2003 at 04:59 AM

Really thank to dwergs and mess.be for publish it. But can I say something more? It seens the download item "ChrisTorng Style of MessageLog" is changed directly from "Messenger Plus! style message logs", but I hope you can delete the old one (and another version "Messenger Plus! style message logs v2") and add a new one. Because the downloads counter include older version, cannot reflect the newest's. And the rating is old's too, cannot reflect the newest's. I want to rating the new one, but it says "Sorry, you have already rated this file.", but I think the new version worth to rerating because the newer version is quite different to the older. No matter you change it or not, still thanks.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-16-2003 at 06:10 AM

One thing more. The current description "MSN6's new message log use xml files, and use xsl to format the output. This is a modified xsl file to show a format like Messenger Plus! does." is wrong. The old version's object is to do like MP, but current version is full html log style, so cannot says it like MP more, it is much better than MP's pure text, just don't have contact events because MSN doesn't log it in XML file. You can modify it to "This is a modified xsl file to show a fully html log include emoticons/links/delete/... format and functions."

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 12-17-2003 at 07:55 AM

any change to get your add-on translated in various languages like patchou's plus?
I think you can ask for it to plus translators
I also suggest to contact patchou to try to integrate your style into the plus package (i think it's better than simple text logs plus actually use).

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-17-2003 at 08:19 AM

Sorry I cannot understand "any change to get your add-on translated in various languages like patchou's plus?" clearly. If you ask how to translate it, it is easy. Copy "Language_en-us.xsl" to other name, modify all the texts. Then open "AllSettings.xml", add new "Language" item for it's name/File, then you can select that new language in Setting window.
Can I ask for it to plus translators? I don't think I have that right... If you would, please help me... :)
About html log of plus, I think Patchou have his thinking, and never use my add-on... :) Because xml/xsl is slow...... I think Patchou will do this using C++ that is much faster and more ability can do. Because many ideas is hard to xml/xsl so that I cannot implement... Like "abc@abc" email detect, custom emoticons... But if he would I will very pleasure. :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-17-2003 at 08:24 AM

I had another thinking about plus log. I had think about making a "plus addon" to get all messages/events from plus, then using the same format to output to xml file. It can write to newer one or just overwrite the original xml file. But......... Maybe someone can do that... :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 12-17-2003 at 09:23 AM

sorry for mistake, it was "any chance to get your add-on translated in various languages like patchou's plus?"
I mean if there will be other versions of your addon to cover all msn client languages...
plus translator usually are friendly, I think they will help you without problems

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by dwergs on 12-17-2003 at 05:49 PM

I'm not changing the download count, you'll just have to write down the number and make the calculation to see how many times the new version has been downloaded. But I did reset the rating.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by sock on 12-18-2003 at 02:56 AM

I gotta say, this software has a very original name. (:

I installed it, it's kinda nice. (Y) :-p

Though it still takes ages to load... :-/

* sock slaps XML around a bit with a large trout.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by Guido on 12-18-2003 at 03:08 AM

Nice XSL, however, just a suggestion: don't double post so often :spam: :P

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-18-2003 at 05:30 AM

Now is 8.5/10 2 votes, happying~~~:) Thanks. Can I post require in "Messenger Plus! Extension » Translation" board? I think it is dedicate to Plus only, and I cannot post my request in it... What is double post?

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by chris on 12-18-2003 at 05:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTorng
What is double post
were you post multiple times in a row.. if u post and no one replys before u decide to post again just edit ur last post by clicling edit in the right corner of ur last post:)
RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-18-2003 at 08:25 AM

Ok, sorry for I don't know that is a bad post... :(

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 12-18-2003 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Can I post require in "Messenger Plus! Extension » Translation" board?

I think you can :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-22-2003 at 01:18 AM

I had PM to Mnjul and he said I can't post on that board. I think contact every translator is very trouble to me, I won't do that. I will focus on improve the funcions. If there are anyone interest on translation, he can do it and mail to me, I will publish it.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 12-28-2003 at 04:13 PM

any news about an italian translation of your add-on?

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 12-28-2003 at 08:16 PM

There are no any one want to translate...:) If you can, can you make one? I had added some new functions and still modifying, you can PM me to get newest private version and include Italian in next public release.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 01-04-2004 at 05:28 PM

it's ok for me, send it via mail at silviaros@email.it

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by Dice on 01-05-2004 at 09:07 PM

Chris....is this a Msn Plus Addon or just a program??

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 01-06-2004 at 01:10 AM

None of them! It replace the original MSN Messenger's Message Log's XSL file, that is to format the source XML log file into HTML format for display (Extensible Stylesheet Language, XSL). So you can see the new log just from the original build-in window! You can see the preview picture, it shows in the MSN Messenger's Message Log window! The transformation file is plain text so cannot be called a program. And it is complete no relation to Messenger Plus! How about install and feel the power of XML/XSL without program! ;)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by Dice on 01-06-2004 at 11:46 PM

Kool....i want to feature this on www.itselephants.com...if its ok with you then e-mail me or add me at enanhawk_09@hotmail.com. Thanks :D

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 01-07-2004 at 01:39 AM

You are welcome. I found MSN Messenger Log Format Patch and want to test it. But it is a patcher and reject to patch my Messenger, maybe due to version, or language. Can you give me a copy of that XSL file? ;)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by Dice on 01-08-2004 at 02:46 PM

Where do i find this XSL file...do i need Resource Hacker?

Oh and BTW...its posted on www.itselephants.com :P

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 01-09-2004 at 02:17 AM

I had checked that exe installer and there is not any resource...:( Please see the instructions.txt in MSN Messenger Log Format Patch's zip, install it and get the result MessageLog.xsl file in My Documents\My Received Files\%EMAIL%\History folder. I want to get some new idea to improve my log, so I'm collecting others different logs... :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by oomingmak on 04-14-2004 at 12:50 AM

I have installed ChrisTorng Style MessageLog v2.0 and I like it very much. I have wanted features like this for a long time.

Microsoft XSL log is better than the old plain text log files, but even in XSL logs the icons are missing (which is very annoying). The ChrisTorng add-on finally fixes this problem and makes the log file much nicer to read.

I would like to make a suggestion though.

Would it be possible to have a users custom emoticons displayed in the log as well?

Users have to define keyboard shortcuts and icons in order to use their custom emoticons in Messenger, so the information should be available for CT LogStyler (I made up that name - lol :P) to work out which icon it should display for any custom emoticons that the user has added.

This would mean that all icons used during a chat would be correctly displayed in the log file (not only the standard Microsoft ones).

Thanks

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 04-14-2004 at 08:34 AM

Very sorry to you, currently this tool development had suspended. I had thought of your suggestion, and it is hard for currently architecture. I had plan for better one, but just suspended... sorry...

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by CookieRevised on 04-14-2004 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by oomingmak
Would it be possible to have a users custom emoticons displayed in the log as well?
Can XML read binary files, decrypt files, reading from the registry, etc...? Because that is needed to get and read the shortcuts and to know which custom icons files needs to be displayed. Even so, a user can change/add/delete shortcuts and emoticons over time, so saying it will show every icon isn't exactly true.
RE: RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 04-14-2004 at 08:53 PM

quote:
Very sorry to you, currently this tool development had suspended. I had thought of your suggestion, and it is hard for currently architecture. I had plan for better one, but just suspended... sorry...

when 2.1 preview version will be available for download? :(
if the development is suspended (very very sad to hear this), can you make preview version downloadable so we can enjoy already made modifications?

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 04-15-2004 at 01:41 AM

XSL itself can't do "read binary files, decrypt files, reading from the registry, etc...". But there is another way, to use microsoft specific xsl extension <msxsl: script>, then I can do those things with scripts, and can get better performance. But maybe there will be security warning when opening message log each time because of those (unsafe for IE & antivirus software) scripts...
There is another way to do that, a japanese site logcolor3 use another strategy for message log. You can learn this idea. English translate using Excite Japan is here: Fellow who makes a log colorful Introduction of v3.0. And the online help you must press "Esc" before download completely to prevent message clear.
Currently suspended because of setup project crash... And I'm busy so the new architecture (will be version 3.0, because of whole rewrite... :( ) won't be implement. But the xsl is runnable now, so I will accept your suggestion, to let the 2.1 preview to download by zip file later. The new improvment description is here. I will post here for downloadable new preview version.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by giken on 04-15-2004 at 09:37 AM

I hope I will see version 3.0 in the future :)
Sorry if you're busy, but your add-on is one of most used for me (and for a lot of people I know) so don't stop its development if you can of course
Hope to see you working on it again soon ;)

P.S.
Thanks for downloadable preview in zip, if you cannot make installation with setup (I like it because it search my hd for log folders) please add a txt to explain how to install the add-on manually.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 04-16-2004 at 01:29 AM

Happy to see how it is one of most used addon for you and a lot of people. I'm a programmer, and like to learn new technology, like XSL, .NET and Ink. I had learn XSL for a while and feel no interesting things left. So now I had more interesting in .NET and Ink, there are many new things to learn. But as your saying, I think the need of Ink is not so much, and the log is a basic need of using MSN. So maybe I will resume its development.

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by matty on 04-16-2004 at 02:17 AM

Works ok i guess. 2 Problems tho.

Number 1, The cell that holds the Contact Name is very small causing it to be squished.

Number 2, After you uninstall the application... it corruptes the chat logs. (It deletes MessageLog.xsl and doesn't replace the old one. But when you open a Conversation Chat log from within MSN it will recreate it or when it saves the new log it recreates it)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 04-16-2004 at 07:21 AM

First problem had solved in 2.1, with "restrict contact name display in one line" and "truncate contact name" settings. Second problem I don't feel it is really a problem... MSN Messenger will recreate it, so the only left problem is after uninstall and before open log in MSN Messenger, xml file can't be view directly. Maybe I will backup original MessageLog.xsl for restore. So... you had uninstalled it because of squished contact name? :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by giken on 04-16-2004 at 11:39 AM

quote:
So maybe I will resume its development.

Very very happy :) :) :)

quote:
Maybe I will backup original MessageLog.xsl for restore

Not a bad idea...
RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by provolino77 on 04-19-2004 at 05:19 PM

Chris I just visited your site but 2.1 preview is still not downloadable... :(

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by ChrisTorng on 04-20-2004 at 12:43 AM

Very sorry... If it is available, I will post here, so don't waste time... :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by giken on 04-21-2004 at 10:12 AM

Ok... I'll wait :)
I posted the message because you said you accepted my suggestion to make 2.1 preview available :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by Pr0xY on 04-22-2004 at 06:29 PM

Looks nice, cant wait to have it available to download. 

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by giken on 05-18-2004 at 10:27 AM

Chris any news? We are still waiting for downloadable 2.1 version :)

RE: ChrisTorng's Style of MessageLog for MSN Messenger 6 V2.0 by WDZ on 11-22-2004 at 03:36 AM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=29693