Shoutbox

Plus is lacking? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Plus is lacking? (/showthread.php?tid=19367)

Plus is lacking? by ka0z on 12-16-2003 at 10:31 AM

Perhaps patchou should think about making Plus module based so that people can make there own Auto Responders and stuff?

Or are you guys happy with the same stuff day in day out?

RE: Plus is lacking? by bach_m on 12-16-2003 at 12:03 PM

there is an aoto responder. try to type /yeahright in a convo. and you could make a plugin to do it.

http://www.msgplus.net/index.php?view=plugins

RE: Plus is lacking? by xsRush on 12-16-2003 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ka0z
Perhaps patchou should think about making Plus module based so that people can make there own Auto Responders and stuff?

Or are you guys happy with the same stuff day in day out?
Can you please tell me what i would use a auto responder for?
This means you wouldn't talk right? it would talk for you...
I thought MSN Messenger was made for us to talk to our friends an family etc.
It might just be me, but i don't get it.
Thanks for any info on what this would be any good for would be nice.

Btw, I think Plus! is great how it is, any new versions of Plus! can only get better :D
RE: Plus is lacking? by kangie on 12-16-2003 at 12:25 PM

i think that a bit of a mean thing to say ka0z :S Patchou does his best! but you are allowed to have your own opinion :) why do i always sound so nasty? :'(

RE: Plus is lacking? by CookieRevised on 12-16-2003 at 12:36 PM

I think it is another possibility instead of releasing source/dll/tut/whatever. Cause indeed auto-responders are in great demand.

The use? simple fun.... If you don't find it usefull, then you don't find the auto-away message usefull IMO.

An auto-responder is more then auto-away, you could do more things with it. (creating a bot for example)

So, in short, don't make it module-based but make the plugins a bit more complex so that one can write his own respond plugin so it can react on what your contact sends you. (which isn't possible now)...

I think it's a nice global idea...

RE: Plus is lacking? by xsRush on 12-16-2003 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info.
I don't use the away messaging that much at all.
You said it would be for fun, then said "If you don't find it usefull, then you don't find the auto-away message usefull IMO" the away message is for fun?
Maybe i need more info, because what you said wasn't much.

RE: Plus is lacking? by CookieRevised on 12-16-2003 at 01:06 PM

hehehe, yeah...
well, what I mean was:

Away-messages are very usefull (you're away, someone wants to contact you, you can leave a message that says something like: "I'm away, but leave a message and I'll contact you". Just like a answering machine)

If the plugin-system would allow it, you could write your own auto-responder. Something like: "press/type 5 if you want to know more about me, press/type 1 to leave a message for company A, press/type 2 to leave personal message, etc..." (usefull)
Or you can make a bot (fun).

RE: Plus is lacking? by xsRush on 12-16-2003 at 01:10 PM

Thanks for more info CookieRevised.
Now i know what it's all about.
It does sound like it would be a good idea.

RE: Plus is lacking? by Patchou on 12-16-2003 at 09:19 PM

Don't worry about ka0z, he's from MSN Fanatic and all he can say is "make Plus module based, make Plus module based, make Plus module based" all day long in all his posts.

I have no intention to transform Plus! into a gigantic module based software with a lot of crappy modules doing half of what you want everytime. If you like a software that does nothing by itself, use Trillian (which is a great product, it just doesn't target the same users). As for bots, again, you can do it in a lot of ways already, why would I add this capability into Plus! ? it would only encourage Microsoft to contact me to say that Plus! does illegal things and must be terminated (because yes, bots are illegal on the Messenger network since last october).

RE: Plus is lacking? by Hah on 12-16-2003 at 10:33 PM

@Patchou
An idea maybe:

If you happen to reconsider the releasing of code, dll etc sometime, then why not implement a similar thing to what google do for there API, you have to have a developer key in order to use the dll, and this is checked in an online database. Dont have a key, you cant use the API, maybe a similar thing could be used in a perhaps plus dll, if a program is released which is found to be trojanised, contains viri or etc, you can terminate the programs key on your own database, you could have the control that is a.) i believe needed and b.) i believe is deserved.

If google can do it without been ripped, then I think you could too.

Just a simply idea, anyway Patchou, keep up the good work, ignore this idea if u want, i just wanted to stick my nose in (sowie ;))

RE: Plus is lacking? by Wabz on 12-17-2003 at 04:12 PM

Module based PLus!  seems like a stupid idea if i ever heard one.  He put plugins there for this kinda purpose

RE: Plus is lacking? by Guido on 12-17-2003 at 06:04 PM

At least Kaoz didn't insult anyone now ^o)

The key ideas is quite interesting, though, still I don't think Patchou wants to add more functionality into Plus' api.

RE: Plus is lacking? by Patchou on 12-17-2003 at 06:09 PM

I've always given you the same reason about why I'm not adding too much stuff into plugins: to protect all of you. That's security measures and you'll be the first ones to complain if some trojan plugins are being distrubted thanks to Plus! :).

RE: Plus is lacking? by Wabz on 12-17-2003 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I've always given you the same reason about why I'm not adding too much stuff into plugins: to protect all of you. That's security measures and you'll be the first ones to complain if some trojan plugins are being distrubted thanks to Plus! :).

What a guy he is , it's true though most people make the mistake of installing the sponsor without realising, people are daft enough to install random plugins

RE: Plus is lacking? by ka0z on 12-18-2003 at 04:08 AM

I appreciate getting a reply from the man himself,

First of all let me say that I never had anything against you, I just think you have made some "bad moves" which have ultimately led to Plus! not bieng sponsered or even purchased...

Your opinion of my idea is what i expected Patchou, this is where i think you have perhaps, made a bad move.. im not trying to get at you here, but dont you want to help the msn developer community grow? dont you want these young coders to have something to learn from? for a while there everyone was getting into programming with the msgr apis.. but thanks to m$, thats gone now...

just so you know, i dont go out looking for problems, i do mean everything i have said so far (but i also think there are lots of good sides to plus too)

... im only interested in helping the msn developer community grow

oh and btw, i already distribute plus! with a trojan, so how is it any different? its not your fault microsoft cant code a decent operating system (although they are certainly starting to get things rolling) .... ps.. im joking :)

RE: Plus is lacking? by Patchou on 12-18-2003 at 07:24 AM

ka0z, first, don't worry about saying you don't like me, as long as your posts are not just full of insults, I won't remove them :). From your posts on MSN Fanatic I really think you don't have me on your heart and that you're right, this thread is not about this anyway.

What you're saying is what I could call "blindly helping" without considering the consequences. As I say, if I open too much access to plugins, it will automatically leave to very bad ones. I care about all my users, not only the ones who are careful about what they download. As you don't seem to like Microsoft very much, you'll probably understand my point better if you consider VBScript... Microsoft originally added scripting capabilities to almost all their products. It was a great idea to allow developers to do complex things in web pages, allow special operations in emails etc... at that time, they didn't consider all the risks involved (which can be partially explained by the fact that internet was still kinda new for everyone) and they paid for their mistake... for years people complained that using Internet Explorer or Outlook Express could expose you to tons of bad stuff.

Messenger Plus! is in the exact same position.. instant messaging is under big expension, everyone wants to get a share of the market and almost nobody uses internet without a Messenger program anymore. Now imagine if I did what I originally planned for Messenger Plus! 2, which is to make it entirely scriptable. Peopel would have installed it, then would have installed some additional modules and would have got a lot of viruses on their computer thanks to me.

Security concerns are almost always against extra features and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm just being cautious, be sure that I've been thinking about this for almost a year already, and I still do, but I still didn't find something else to do that the current plugin architecture of Plus!.. sure it's limited but it's safe.

I hope this will help you understand my position. Plus! is not a stupid little addon anymore. It's a program that is used by millions of people and I because of that, I have some responsabilities. I just can't do whatever I want anymore :)

RE: Plus is lacking? by ka0z on 12-18-2003 at 08:59 AM

Ive always been more of the "let microsoft take the blame for appauling security" type of person :)

I understand the position you are in, but perhaps you should let the user decide? via some kind of Poll?

I honestly believe your app could grow if you opened it up a bit more, the world is ready for this sort of thing :)

anyway, thanks for responding, im happier knowing that you have indeed considered this type of modification..

RE: Plus is lacking? by kangie on 12-23-2003 at 02:10 PM

i know im stupid... but could someone explain what a module is?

RE: Plus is lacking? by Guido on 12-23-2003 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kangie
i know im stupid... but could someone explain what a module is?
Basically, more advanced plugins...

quote:
I understand the position you are in, but perhaps you should let the user decide? via some kind of Poll?
I don't think that a "Do you think Patchou should do this to get flamed by even more users everywhere?" poll would solve this problem :-/

RE: Plus is lacking? by dom. on 12-23-2003 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ka0z
When he said he's not going to, and has a good reason.. He's probably not. :-/
RE: Plus is lacking? by kao on 12-24-2003 at 11:47 PM

im against it... Plus! and its plugins are good enough (for me anyway) and i'd rather keep using plus as long as i use MSN instead of in a few months finding out Plus! has been stopped due to too many complaints and too many virii distributed as plugins for Plus's stupidly advanced plugin system.

RE: Plus is lacking? by L1ghty on 01-10-2004 at 11:00 PM

hmm, i know i'm late, but whatever...
about the poll... even if most of the users would accept your idea, it still is up to patchou and btw, most of the people aren't able to live on their own just because they don't think enough. So how would you expect them to even consider patchou's thoughts??? They will always take what looks best in the first place and later on they will recognize their mistakes and still they will blame patchou (or maybe you for this idea, ka0z:P)