Shoutbox

New MP2 feature... check this! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: New MP2 feature... check this! (/showthread.php?tid=1975)

New MP2 feature... check this! by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 12:48 AM

Hello all of you,

so, how was your halloween this year? mine was pretty standard... I just can't wait to see the 13th Simpsons Halloween Special on Fox (in about 30 minutes, just enough time for me to write this post and order a pizza).

I just completed the multi-format feature and again, I want your input about it. Basically, it works the same as in mIRC. You can use Ctrl+K for color/background-color, Ctrl+B for bold, Ctrl+U for underlined and, an addition to IRC, Ctrl+T for italic (why not Ctrl+I? because Messenger uses it for inserting tabs).

To illustrate this in Messenger, here is a screenshot... I did some copy past from a fserv chanel on IRC so that I have different complex examples.

[Image: multiformat.png]

Let me know what you think about this... useful or not?... hope I didn't worked for nothing :)

Patchou.

[no subject] by Sholin on 11-04-2002 at 01:13 AM

OOMMMGG!

* Sholin drools!

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-04-2002 at 01:34 AM

Wow, that's awesome! :shocked:

Does your contact have to have Plus! installed to see the background colors and everything?

[no subject] by Sholin on 11-04-2002 at 01:37 AM

Ya the person has to have MSGPLUS installed, it will just show up like mIRC code to people who dont have it installed, Like the following:

4,15 MSGPLUS ROCKS!

[no subject] by WDZ on 11-04-2002 at 01:42 AM

Oh, OK... well, MP2 will be so f**king great, everyone will have it installed. :grin:

[no subject] by Sholin on 11-04-2002 at 01:44 AM

* Sholin agrees with WDZ :)

[no subject] by Muss on 11-04-2002 at 03:58 AM

Not trying to be a downer, but is it really that usefull  :undecided:

It would be fun to change it, but not really that useful (/me sees this post gettign deleted  :grin: )

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 06:12 AM

lol Muss, no, your "Go You" picture makes me smile everytime I see it so I won't delete your post :p ... there was something I wanted to add to my original thread but I forgot.... the examples shown in the screenshot are could be qualified as "extreme".... I personally think that it's very useful when you want to put some life in your message by puting a word in a specific color or in bold for example... colors can be very useful when you don't have the proper emoticon to express your feelings.

By the way... unlike IRC, I intend to support not 16 colors but 16 millions.... that way I'm sure I won't get complaints about "why didn't you put my favorite color!". Of course, the 16 predefined IRC colors are fully supported.

Last note... every IM windows has a "Override Text Format" menu.... if you do not like funly colors or formating, this option is for you. It will also apply if the user does not use special tags but put his default Messenger font to Symbol 21 Italic for example ;)

[no subject] by Menthix on 11-04-2002 at 06:48 AM

* Menthix checks his email...
...THANK YOU! :D

Let's hope i finally get some time todo some good tewsting now :S

Colors look nice, but what i wanted to ask.... Patchou, what about creating a function that in some way can detect wether the person you talking to has plus yes or no (preferably detects IF it has plus!, which version too).

[no subject] by Interlude on 11-04-2002 at 06:56 AM

It's looking better by the day.  Now is there an ETA for getting it out the door yet?  ;)

[no subject] by riball on 11-04-2002 at 07:50 AM

wow thats great...

finally some color into my conversations...

[no subject] by user2319 on 11-04-2002 at 09:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riball
wow thats great...

finally some color into my conversations...
hehehe your right :grin:
[no subject] by shine on 11-04-2002 at 10:02 AM

*Thinking* Colourful days ahead for PLUS

[no subject] by sock on 11-04-2002 at 10:13 AM

Well that's really nice, but honestly.... I think it will cause a lot of compatibility problems since it only works on MP2.... I wouldn't want others to see garbage on their screens....

I vote "No":P.

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-04-2002 at 11:48 AM

sock? hehehe...

anywayz... i think its a cool feature. (y)

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 03:08 PM

if your contacts don't have Plus! and you don't want to make the effort of sending it to them, then, you're right, this feature is nto for your :p.

Concerning a function that detects if your contact has Plus!... hum... I may add this but it will be fairly simple... like I send a text and it replies back automatically. Anyway, I wanted to do a !ping feature so this could go with it.

[no subject] by EchoGecko on 11-04-2002 at 04:01 PM

Looks great Patchou - especially the fact that I'll now finally be able to use italics and bold ---> fewer misunderstandings ;)

Keep up the good work!

[no subject] by bjh_101 on 11-04-2002 at 04:02 PM

I think the formating is great, although not every1 on my list has MP i remember who has and who hasnt wen i use otherfnctions like "/me" but bold etc will be really kewl and usful. thnx Patchou.

And yes, i so still think that a plus! detection feature would be nice  :wink:

[no subject] by jw on 11-04-2002 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bjh_101
And yes, i so still think that a plus! detection feature would be nice  :wink: 

Could you add a hidden character or string to the FriendlyName?
[no subject] by Sholin on 11-04-2002 at 05:04 PM

YAY! Now me and Jae get to spam eachother checking for bugs :P

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 05:04 PM

I could but I'd rather not.... what I intend to do however is to make MP2 "remember" that someones uses MP2, that way, you don't have to wonder everytime... I'll just have to add some kind of tag in the name/email string of the contact on top of the IM window.

[no subject] by bjh_101 on 11-04-2002 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
what I intend to do however is to make MP2 "remember" that someones uses MP2, that way, you don't have to wonder everytime...
that is a good idea, but wot happens if they stop using it (for some strange reason) or 1 time it didnt load or summin else strange. will u still be able 2 send the Plus! check again?
[no subject] by Patchou on 11-04-2002 at 07:15 PM

sure

[no subject] by jw on 11-04-2002 at 07:36 PM

Cool, can't wait   :grin:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-04-2002 at 07:46 PM

yippie looks kewl

[no subject] by Bladerunner on 11-04-2002 at 08:30 PM

yay finally we get to have kool messages :happy:

[no subject] by billywoods1 on 11-04-2002 at 08:33 PM

I have to say... above all the POP3 mail and advanced 'personalised status' and stuff like that... this would be the function that I would use most.

Basically... I can't wait!!! Keep up the good work!

[no subject] by Misterjad on 11-04-2002 at 08:38 PM

hum, for the function where it (the contact) has MP or not, you can maybe change the icon of the contact in the main window (make a discreet "!" in the lower right of the buddy) so it'll be simple and easy to recogniz for a MP user

[no subject] by riball on 11-04-2002 at 08:51 PM

You mean this :plus:

instead of the normal icon

or a whole differenct color like yellow or blue...

cuz what did you have in mind for the plus users that are away?

but the idea sounds great to me!

For the recognicment of a MP2 user... by Julian1984 on 11-04-2002 at 10:00 PM

You can use another IRC command... such /finger... what do u think about it? The response could be something like: <user> is using <version>.  Do u think that u can do it? or is another metod more simple??

:huh:

[no subject] by shine on 11-05-2002 at 05:21 AM

quote:

Quote pathcou "MSN icons will not be used / modified in plus"

So i don't thing hes gonna meddle with MSN stuffs
[no subject] by ··¤(`×[¤kår(v)å¤]×´)¤·· on 11-05-2002 at 06:46 AM

i likes it ;) ... imma get it when its ready so hurry up already :P ... u have done a gr8 job from what i can see :D coolies IM EXCITED !!!! 

[no subject] by ··¤(`×[¤kår(v)å¤]×´)¤·· on 11-05-2002 at 06:47 AM

quote:
lol Muss, no, your "Go You" picture makes me smile everytime I see it so I won't delete your post :p ... 

what he said ya huh  :grin: 
[no subject] by riball on 11-05-2002 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shine
quote:

so you may not make it yellow or so? hmmm... what should we make it then? make the name red?
[no subject] by Chrono on 11-05-2002 at 02:10 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

so you may not make it yellow or so? hmmm... what should we make it then? make the name red?

Or add a [!] or a [Plus!] at the end of the nick, but just on the contact list...
[no subject] by bjh_101 on 11-05-2002 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Or add a [!] or a [Plus!] at the end of the nick, but just on the contact list...
A [Plus!] would be alrite, but just [!] could get confusing, because a lot of my contacts have wierd names with special characters and the like so a ! would blend in.
[no subject] by sock on 11-05-2002 at 05:18 PM

Obviously, an indicator that users can't fake by changing their display names must be used. This could be achieved, for example, by using a colored "[!]" in front of the display names of the relevant contacts. However, I personally prefer adding a tiny little red "!" (exclamation mark) ontop of the contact icons... Just make better antialiasing than this one's:P:

[Image: msgplus.gif]

[no subject] by Misterjad on 11-05-2002 at 05:28 PM

I think a yellow - or blue -or else -color should be the best choice, coz, if you put a ! or plus! at the end of the nick, you won't sometimes see it, because some contacts use "weirds" and ultra long nicknames..
Or an other option (in my opinion, it's the worth..), putting all the contacts with MP2 in a different group such as [ Plus! Group ]....

[no subject] by sock on 11-05-2002 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Misterjad
...coz, if you put a ! or plus! at the end of the nick, you won't sometimes see it, because some contacts use "weirds" and ultra long nicknames..
Yup, that's why I suggested putting that *before* the display name:). Of course, it would have to be in some different color so no one could fake it.

Anyhow. I'm bored, been messing around with that logo of yours... Really don't like that antialiasing:P.
The results:

[Image: exc_mark.gif]
[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-05-2002 at 07:36 PM

could do better  :undecided:

[no subject] by sock on 11-06-2002 at 01:21 AM

Ge, thanks:|.

[no subject] by Blue Hiker on 11-06-2002 at 12:42 PM

Hmm...

Well, it's definitely interesting.

I'm not sure about this whole "Let's turn MSN into an IRC client!" thing though.

MSN's font options aren't overly powerful, sure, but just look at Patchou's examples. Those all came from IRC.

I sure as hell don't want my MSN windows looking like that.

Sometimes, simplicity is best.

Still, it's an interesting feature, and I'm sure some people will appreciate it.

[no subject] by sock on 11-06-2002 at 04:37 PM

Hmm.... seems like someone's been messing around with one of my posts... oh well:P.

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Hiker
Sometimes, simplicity is best.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm against this thing... And also because it may cause compatibility problems with non-Plus! users as I already mentioned.
Go On ... it already looks fine! by Re-Lex on 11-06-2002 at 08:04 PM

It looks fine, but I am waiting for the Final version!
I hope MsgPlus 2.0 is finished soon....!!!

Greetz Lex :wink:

[no subject] by reisyboy on 11-06-2002 at 08:18 PM

from the updates page it look like it will be

Stay Tuned!

Of Course I Stay Tuned! by Re-Lex on 11-06-2002 at 08:28 PM

Of Course I am!!!

Is it already finished?   :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:

So You are slow!
(sorry it's not funny)

[no subject] by Meksilon on 11-07-2002 at 12:02 AM

Hey not bad Patchou, and it's a PNG :grin:! Looks like a handy feature, it'd be good if you could somehow change Ctrl-I and Ctrl-T though (you know, maybe like disabel Crl-I in messenger and overwrite it with your Ctrl-I)....

...Then again you probably thought of that.

=mek=

[no subject] by Johnny_Mac on 11-07-2002 at 10:51 AM

Im sure most of it is finished... however big features like scripting still need to be added.

[no subject] by Meksilon on 11-07-2002 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nakamura
Nakamura doesn't think Patchou wants to change anything in the msmsgs.exe...
I didn't say edit the exe, it should be possible to dynamically do that at run-time.

=mek=
[no subject] by kittyangel on 11-08-2002 at 03:25 AM

:happy: I love this!  cool!  well done!

[no subject] by Julian1984 on 11-08-2002 at 08:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nakamura
Nakamura doesn't think Patchou wants to change anything in the msmsgs.exe...
I didn't say edit the exe, it should be possible to dynamically do that at run-time.

=mek=

But that wouln't make msn to go slowly???
Dam i was gunna try programming somin like that by Dreamingweb on 11-08-2002 at 10:46 AM

Cool feature, i'll bet ur program something better than what i could do. Anyway can i request multiple features such as limiting d/l space 'n' shit and having a shared folder like Mirc. so users can dir and stuff

[no subject] by ExistenZ on 11-11-2002 at 10:26 AM

colored txt ok
colored background nice idea but no thx
you must know howmanny people hate that allready on mirc
imo if its in the new pluspack then i will prolly never install it

[no subject] by Juancho on 11-11-2002 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamingweb
Cool feature, i'll bet ur program something better than what i could do. Anyway can i request multiple features such as limiting d/l space 'n' shit and having a shared folder like Mirc. so users can dir and stuff

Why don't post your requests/suggestions in the correct forum ?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

[no subject] by shine on 11-11-2002 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ExistenZ
colored txt ok

Prabably you will have an option to disable it. As said Patchou, Almost everything will be optional in Plus. BTW Plus itself is optional  :wink:  :grin:
[no subject] by jw on 11-11-2002 at 04:46 PM

quote:
BTW Plus itself is optional  :wink:  :grin: 

No its not...its a necessity!
[no subject] by EqUaTe on 11-12-2002 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ExistenZ
colored txt ok

Actually, patchou already said that it could be overridden locally. And if he implements it true to mirc's form, and allows custom background colours and font colours defined locally that override the remote ones, a LOT of people will like it. I for one am seriously fed up of the white background MSN has by default. Green on black!  :grin:

[no subject] by Patchou on 11-12-2002 at 03:04 PM

Yep, you can definitively override any funky format in your Messenger (even format that is not created by MP2).

Yesterday I started to do the new logging feature and, before that, I wanted to test MP2 in Windows 98 with Messenger 5 (I work with XP, Messenger 4).... it works pretty well but there are some bugs that have to be fixed. I'll probably concentrate on that this evening.

One thing is for sure: I need to do something else! :p So for now, no more new feature, I'll add logging (which, by itself, will have new options) and that should do it for version 2.00. Things like scripting will probably make it for version 2.10.... anyway, I suppose you'll all be happy if I release MP2 sooner.

Anyway, still a lot of work to do on version 2! I hope Win98 won't give me too many problems this evening because I can't debug anything on this platform so I have to reboot on XP everytime I want to try a modification and it's painful  :rolleyes:

Hi! by Julian1984 on 11-12-2002 at 07:53 PM

Patchou, u will make an alpha version for everyone?? Or only for the ones u think??
I can't wait... ;) MP2 promise...

Good job

NEW VERSION AVALAIBLE!!! by Julian1984 on 11-12-2002 at 08:28 PM

Actualización secundaria: Versión  5.0.0540
Lanzamiento 11 de noviembre, 2002

Diversas actualizaciones secundarias
-------------------------------------------------
Secondary actualization: Version 5.0.0540
Lunch on Nov 11th, 2002

Some secondary actualizations

[no subject] by gewoon ikke on 11-12-2002 at 08:33 PM

hmmm... i've just put that on the forum as well:)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/viewthread.php?tid=2113

Im dying 4 th@ nu version. Do u hav ne ideas 4 wen it mite b out on the web? by tomfletcherman on 12-09-2002 at 08:17 PM

pls say the nu version is coming out soon. Im dying to get my hands on it. :D. It wud b nice 2 hav it as a free christmas present. lol. if u can jst get it ther by the 25th, i wanna b lazy with all of those kool functions aswell. no need 2 say hi nemore, jst alt-1. Do u hav ne ideas 4 wen it mite b out on the web?

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Bugz on 12-09-2002 at 08:23 PM

nope, Patchou has disappeared ;) so i guess he's very busy with getting all the bugs out of the alpha version
u'll have to be patient

RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Bugz on 12-10-2002 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bugz
nope, Patchou has disappeared ;)
he's back :grin:
Wahooooo by tomfletcherman on 12-10-2002 at 06:25 PM

thanx 4 giving me this crucial info. Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by sandyjim85 on 12-14-2002 at 02:02 PM

Getting MP2 out as soon as possible sounds like a great idea! (/me drools quietly in the corner)
We can wait for what you haven't done yet...

RE: by reisyboy on 12-14-2002 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sholin
Ya the person has to have MSGPLUS installed, it will just show up like mIRC code to people who dont have it installed, Like the following:

4,15 MSGPLUS ROCKS!

Lots of people know IRC code i think it will be just fine :) And DZ you are right they should just have Plus! installed :)
RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by LilAngel on 12-14-2002 at 07:25 PM

I'm just wondering when MP2 will be available for download. Does anybody have an estimate of the date?

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Bugz on 12-14-2002 at 07:41 PM

before the end of the year

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by AI on 12-21-2002 at 12:16 PM

I got the first alpha version about three weeks ago, Patchou should release the Beta about now, if he wants to release the gamma before newjear

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Bugz on 12-21-2002 at 12:55 PM

quote:
by Patchou
a public beta will be available for sure before Chirstmas

RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by AI on 12-21-2002 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bugz
quote:
by Patchou
a public beta will be available for sure before Chirstmas

I said that too.

quote:
<plus=yes>

Nice idea
RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Musha on 12-21-2002 at 08:36 PM

This looks great!!! So Patchou, why don't you get us all a little X mas present and make MP2 available for us first?

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by AI on 12-21-2002 at 08:44 PM

The bugs aren't out yet.

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by joon on 01-02-2003 at 02:16 AM

pachou question:
how did you copy the colors out of irc? i cant manage to copy the colors and the background in irc..

RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Guido on 01-02-2003 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joon
pachou question:
how did you copy the colors out of irc? i cant manage to copy the colors and the background in irc..

:huh:??? he just made a feature that looks just the irc one in mp2. he won't release source code because mp2 it's like his son ;) and he wont give you data about how it was created.
RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by joon on 01-02-2003 at 04:18 AM

no i mean he coppied those colors and text from a irc bot i have mirc and when i copy something from it it doesnt copy the colors.. my question is how did pachou copy the colors with the text from irc? cuz when i copy from irc and paste in msn its just plain black?

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by WDZ on 01-02-2003 at 04:21 AM

I think you can copy the color code things if you copy directly from an IRC log file, or disable color codes in your IRC client... I'm not sure though. :undecided:

RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Guido on 01-02-2003 at 04:52 AM

ok sorry i was wrong... :undecided:

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by WDZ on 01-02-2003 at 04:56 AM

Are you sure? :undecided:

quote:
To illustrate this in Messenger, here is a screenshot... I did some copy past from a fserv chanel on IRC so that I have different complex examples.

RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by MoRiA on 01-02-2003 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joon
no i mean he coppied those colors and text from a irc bot i have mirc and when i copy something from it it doesnt copy the colors.. my question is how did pachou copy the colors with the text from irc? cuz when i copy from irc and paste in msn its just plain black?

It's been a few years since I last used mIRC but I'm sure that the log files included the colour codes and if you hold down ctrl when dragging to select text it will copy the colour codes too.
As for pasting into MSN it will still be your default font colour with strange boxes and numbers until we get our hands on MP2.
RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Alpha Binary on 01-04-2003 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SMG
about the idea of autodetecting plus, I thaugh that i could post a possible solution:

Plus assumes at the start that the user isn't using plus

You use a plus feature such as the mIRC text or /me

If there is no reply by the person chatted to with something like <plus=yes>, then plus know's that the user hasn't got plus and puts an alert in yellow area of MSN 5/blue area of WM4 that says "x
_user may not be using plus!".

If the other user is using plus!, then plus! will autoreply <plus=yes> although it will be hidden from both user's view and the yellow area of MSN5/blue area of WM4 will say that "x_user is using plus!"

just an idea, i dont think that he should add this to MP2 because then he'll simply be too busy, this could be good for MP2.1 or later

Ah... I don't think it's possible to send messages and make them invisible from another user's view. dunno
RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Alpha Binary on 01-04-2003 at 05:30 PM

It's however possible to check if the other user is using Plus! w/o letting both users know! In ASCII chart there are some characters that looks just like spaces but has different ASCII code. Try Alt+160! IE:

- Messenger is launched. Plus is loaded for the first time.
- Plus assumes that no user in the contact list has Plus.
- You try to IM someone in the contact list.
- Plus detects the message and secretly add [Alt+160] character at the end of the message. It will look completely normal.
- If the other user doesn't have Plus installed, he or she will still be able to read the message and reply back completely normally.
- If the other user has Plus installed, it should be able to detect the [Alt+160] character at the end of the message.
- As soon as the other user reply back, his or her Plus secretly adds [Alt+160][Alt+160] character at the end of the message.
- You will be able to read his or her message normally, but in the background Plus tries to check if there are 160 codes at the end of the message...
- Plus found them and marks that user with [Plus] mark.

My English isn't so well, I hereby apologize for any mistakes.

RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by math1985 on 01-04-2003 at 11:47 PM

I think the risk is too big, some strange users of the millions of MSN-users are testing ASCCI-codes or something, and will send a alt-160 to a person with plus...

RE: RE: New MP2 feature... check this! by Guido on 01-05-2003 at 12:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Binary
It's however possible to check if the other user is using Plus! w/o letting both users know! In ASCII chart there are some characters that looks just like spaces but has different ASCII code. Try Alt+160! IE:

- Messenger is launched. Plus is loaded for the first time.
- Plus assumes that no user in the contact list has Plus.
- You try to IM someone in the contact list.
- Plus detects the message and secretly add [Alt+160] character at the end of the message. It will look completely normal.
- If the other user doesn't have Plus installed, he or she will still be able to read the message and reply back completely normally.
- If the other user has Plus installed, it should be able to detect the [Alt+160] character at the end of the message.
- As soon as the other user reply back, his or her Plus secretly adds [Alt+160][Alt+160] character at the end of the message.
- You will be able to read his or her message normally, but in the background Plus tries to check if there are 160 codes at the end of the message...
- Plus found them and marks that user with [Plus] mark.

urhh too home-made... and anyone can add an alt+0160 codes to the end of the message... :undecided:
Just Thanks by denkeeper on 01-05-2003 at 07:10 PM

Thanks patchou for the ver 1 .

Well ver 2 aint out yet so cant say that for ver 2 yet but I am sure it would be a great one as well.

keep up the good work.

Gee - I like the no of stars patchou has against his name !!! He He.