Shoutbox

suggestion for Email Notification - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: suggestion for Email Notification (/showthread.php?tid=19862)

suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-30-2003 at 07:05 AM

It would be cool if the link to these forums in the e-mail notification could point to the last post ("&action=lastpost") or to the next message after the one I posted. Just a suggestion I'd love ;)

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 12-30-2003 at 07:29 AM

Hmm... well, I think it should go to the post it's notifying you about... that makes the most sense. :p

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-30-2003 at 07:37 AM

That's what I meant with "or to the next message after the one I posted" :P

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 12-30-2003 at 07:44 AM

Riiight... :-/

Blah, I'm tired. :p

I'll add that to my to-do list and include it in the RC1 upgrade, which should be done after the holidays are over.

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-30-2003 at 08:36 AM

Great :)

One more thing, why these pages don't stay in IE's cache? Are you disabling caching for some reason? Don't do it ;)

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by Choli on 12-30-2003 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo2003
That's what I meant with "or to the next message after the one I posted" :P
no the next message after yours, but, as wdz said,
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
to the post it's notifying you about
because you may have read some posts after yours and then someone replies and you have to be pointed to his post (the first new for you)
quote:
One more thing, why these pages don't stay in IE's cache?
because this is PHP, and php pages aren't cached. if it'd be cached, you won't see new posts because you ie would show and old copy of the page.

edit: btw, i was going o suggest this too, so wdz.... :type:
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-30-2003 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
because this is PHP, and php pages aren't cached. if it'd be cached, you won't see new posts because you ie would show and old copy of the page.

:blah!: And what about, for example, Winamp forums? They're in PHP, stay in cache and work perfectly. I also made a website in PHP, no problems with caching too...
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by Choli on 12-30-2003 at 09:55 PM

quote:
:blah!: And what about, for example, Winamp forums? They're in PHP, stay in cache and work perfectly. I also made a website in PHP, no problems with caching too...
^o) well i mean that if a page is dynamicly created by php and your browser stores it in its cache, the next time you visit the page you'll see the cached copy so you won't be able to see the new contect of the page (new posts, etc..., whatever). That's why i say that a php page isn't stored at cache (maybe it is, so if you click the back button you can see the cached copy) but (and this must be true) when you visit again a php page, the browser should get the page from the server, not from cache.

note: the browser may copy in cache images, .js files, etc.. but not the main contect of the page
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 12-31-2003 at 06:33 AM

Yeah, you shouldn't cache PHP pages, especially on forums and stuff... doesn't really make sense. The images are a different story though, because they usually stay the same. Caching isn't intentionally disabled here, BTW.

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-31-2003 at 06:40 AM

It does make sense when you're on modem and can't be online for too long. Sometimes I like to read offline the pages I've been browsing, but can't do it with this forum...

[Image: attachment.php?tid=19862&pid=184086]

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 12-31-2003 at 06:45 AM

Hmm... well, like I said, it's not intentionally disabled, so there's nothing I can do about it. :angel:

Maybe if you find out why the WinAmp forums cache and these don't, I'll consider doing something. :p

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-31-2003 at 08:03 AM

Well, I checked the HTTP headers and didn't find anything wrong... So you win :)

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by Choli on 12-31-2003 at 12:24 PM

quote:
It does make sense when you're on modem and can't be online for too long. Sometimes I like to read offline the pages I've been browsing, but can't do it with this forum...

[Image: attachment.php?tid=19862&pid=184086]
I have no problem here: neither with IE 6 nor avant browser. Be sure you select "work offline" (or what ever it's called in your language (trabajar sin conexion, q eres hispano-hablante)) from the file menu before use the historial, if not, your browser will try to contact the server and it won't find any page. Working offline, the browser shows the cached copy (that as it has been said before, it may be outdated)
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 12-31-2003 at 10:25 PM

In the picture I attached, "work offline" is selected... Well, maybe it's my IE6 that's going crazy... :dodgy:

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by surfichris on 01-02-2004 at 11:56 PM

Okay you all seem to have got a little off topic :P

Anyway, i have implemented the feature and you will now be taken to the 'Next Newest post' in the thread since your last visit :)

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lopardo on 01-03-2004 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Okay you all seem to have got a little off topic :P
Sorry :)

quote:
Anyway, i have implemented the feature and you will now be taken to the 'Next Newest post' in the thread since your last visit :)
Works great, thanks. I love you ;) (not really :P)
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by lizard.boy on 01-04-2004 at 03:00 AM

man i relised how much i dont relise how many people still use dialup

now i just have to wait and see if i get a new reply e-mail ;)

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by Choli on 01-08-2004 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Anyway, i have implemented the feature and you will now be taken to the 'Next Newest post' in the thread since your last visit
There's a bug with that :P Read:
  1. I reply in a thread.
  2. Person A replies after me.
  3. I get an email saying A has just replied....
  4. I continue reading threads but I do NOT go to the first thread.
  5. Then person B replies.
  6. quote:
    There may also be other replies to this thread but you will not receive anymore notifications until you visit the board again.
    Because I'm visiting the board, I'm sent another mail saying B has just replied...
  7. etc...
  8. When I click the link at the email, I go to the post of the person of the last email I recieved of that thread (understand?) In this case, I'd go to B's post and I should go to A's post
Could you fix that? thanks ;)
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 01-09-2004 at 05:44 AM

:S Confusing. :P

I don't think that action=newpost thing is used anywhere else on the board, so I wasn't really familiar with it... I think I understand the problem though... do you just want the link to go to the post that's it's notifying you about? That's what I would have done... none of this "first post after your last visit" stuff... :-/

Edit before posting :P: now that I check out this newpost thing, it seems that as long as your "last visit" time was before A and B posted, and you didn't visit the thread after A posted, you should go to A's post, not B's as you said... still confusing... :-/

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by Choli on 01-09-2004 at 10:01 AM

:dodgy: wdz :P

I think that stuff works like this: When A posts, MyBB stores somewhere that my "first post after my last visit" is A's. When B posts, MyBB decides I have to be sent a mail and overwrittes my "first post after my last visit" with B's. That could be solved by chacking (before sending the 2nd email) if I've visited the thread or not. However the best would be this: You forget the action=newpost, use the previous system and at each mail you put the complete link to the post that has triggered the email (including &pid=188603#pid188603). That would be OK.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
do you just want the link to go to the post that's it's notifying you about?
That's done already when you only recieve 1 email. When you recieve more, the link should point to the first one of all (the oldest). I think you undestood it in your last paragraph.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Edit before posting
:lol:
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 01-09-2004 at 06:18 PM

quote:
I think that stuff works like this: When A posts, MyBB stores somewhere that my "first post after my last visit" is A's.
O_o

No, I don't think it does. :p

The "first post after last visit" is determined when you request the thread with &action=newpost... :dodgy:

quote:
You forget the action=newpost, use the previous system and at each mail you put the complete link to the post that has triggered the email (including &pid=188603#pid188603). That would be OK.
:banana: Simple is better. :p
RE: suggestion for Email Notification by WDZ on 01-09-2004 at 06:35 PM

OK, I changed the link... I had to modify some of the PHP code to make it work, so let me know if there's any problems with reply notifications.

RE: suggestion for Email Notification by Choli on 01-09-2004 at 06:45 PM

Now it works really well. Thanks WDZ ;)

Edit:
:dodgy:
I've recieved an email with the link pointing to my own post :rolleyes: ...

Edit2: I should have a rest and shut up. I didn't recieve any strange mail :$