Shoutbox

- Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: (/showthread.php?tid=20124)

by billywoods1 on 01-05-2004 at 10:18 AM

Hi all,

A lot of you may know I haven't been on the forums much for a while, and I've just realised how much 'spam' there is now compared to back then. Just looking in the General Chit Chat forum I see mostly moved/locked threads. For example, why is talking about 'oliebollen' - although I don't really know what they are (:P) - considered spam? Why are threads about DJMystic now being moved and locked away, as if he's not to be talked about?

No offence, but I think people here really need to rethink the spam rules. General Chit Chat is just that, it's chat, and threads are constantly being closed, such as the oliebollen one. Why is this?

And if I'm wrong, can I get a detailed list of the spam rules please? Don't point me to the forum rules, please, they're crap. :P

Thanks.

-Billy

(Edit: spelling correction, thanks :P)

by dom. on 01-05-2004 at 10:54 AM

Ya i said that in a thread a while ago, then surfi moved some stuff from t n t to General Chat.. lol

by WannoIsVanNed on 01-05-2004 at 10:58 AM

Pssst: it's oliebollen, not olliebollen (one 'L'). Oliebollen is the Dutch word for 'fritter'.

by GiantSpider on 01-05-2004 at 10:58 AM

Especially that STFU guy and his m8. That was rediculas and thats why ppl hav been talking bout a new mod. The episode will strengthen both sides arguement cos the mods did a gud job

by CookieRevised on 01-05-2004 at 11:01 AM

The one about Oliebollen (it's in the thread what it is about) was split because it went off topic, why it is locked... I dunno... guess, everything was said :)

About DJMystic, he did some very bad things in the past... But that is the past... I hope it isn't now (still) what you're saying it is... Otherwise, to the rest: get over it....

The only (written) rules I know of are the ones of the forums...

I didn't know how it was back then (in 2002), but like it is now, yeah, there is much spam, but I wouldn't consider these forums spammy if you compare them to others, although I must say I see many same threads... (It's like no-one will search anymore for something and questions are asked over and over again)...

by fluffy_lobster on 01-05-2004 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Especially that STFU guy and his m8. That was rediculas and thats why ppl hav been talking bout a new mod. The episode will strengthen both sides arguement cos the mods did a gud job
Did I miss something?  I noticed the name in the list of latest replies to threads so had a look, but he's only got one visible post which isn't too bad - I'm guessing whatever he was banned for was deleted...

what happen?

Somebody set up us the bomb...
by CookieRevised on 01-05-2004 at 12:20 PM

---OFF TOPIC---
He (and another guy) flamed everything and everyone. They started new threads everywhere with BS in it... etc...

by surfichris on 01-05-2004 at 12:33 PM

I do agree, the forums are currently in a bad state - the worst ever.

Patchou knows about this and is planning to make some changes around here..

But stay tuned.

by fluffy_lobster on 01-05-2004 at 01:28 PM

* fluffy_lobster can hardly contain his excitement :gfdrin:

Hmm seriously though I wish it would happen, the tension is killing me

by bach_m on 01-05-2004 at 01:33 PM

* bach_m agrees

aside from the 2 jerks(an isolated incident, been dealt with), these forums are rather spammy. entire threads on ridiculous topics, ppl making wierd and stupid posts, and REPEATED ppl coming with the same problems not using hte search function! its ridiculous!

* bach_m cant wait for the changes.
i like change

by billywoods1 on 01-05-2004 at 01:46 PM

Thanks, WannoIsVanNed - corrected. :)

CookieRevised, I didn't actually see it go off-topic for more than about two posts, and even then someone went back on topic... as for locking it... pff, I dunno, it's just not how it really should be, locking threads when they get more than a page of replies. :P I'll be glad when these changes happen.

* billywoods1 notices something about a bomb in fluffy_lobster's first post and decides he doesn't wanna know... :gfdrin:

by Johnny_Mac on 01-05-2004 at 01:46 PM

My suggestion would be to delete all posts. Radical I know. But if you delete the posts you delete the spam. Patchou can make a list of suggestions and any bugs. All chit chat and off topic stuff with come up again if we leave the thread there or not. And I dont suppose people will use the search feature anyway, so remove the threads or not and the same questions would appear again. I dunno. :P

by billywoods1 on 01-05-2004 at 01:47 PM

Hmm... it's not the subtle sort of change I was expecting, Johnny_Mac! :P

by Johnny_Mac on 01-05-2004 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Hmm... it's not the subtle sort of change I was expecting, Johnny_Mac! :P
Would provide a clean start though. Surely someone must agree. :P
by billywoods1 on 01-05-2004 at 01:51 PM

Yeah, that's true... but then, it does mean resetting post counts, so post count races, maybe? That certainly wouldn't be good. Also, the archives make people realise this isn't a new community... I dunno, there's just something about experienced forums that makes people want to join them. ;) Plus all that information and help we've provided people for ages would be gone...

by fluffy_lobster on 01-05-2004 at 01:53 PM

I have to say I think i agree

Some forums need posts preserved though... for example the plugins forum, there is information that ppl do actually refer to... I wouldn't like to see my random image script thread go as that's basically the home for it.  Maybe (if this happens at all) people could choose important threads to be preserved at the root level (and only have replied deleted)

by Johnny_Mac on 01-05-2004 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Yeah, that's true... but then, it does mean resetting post counts,
Post counts mean nothing... I would remove them if I were allowed. :P

quote:
Also, the archives make people realise this isn't a new community
People know enough about Plus! to know it's not a 'new' thing.

quote:
there's just something about experienced forums that makes people want to join them.
Technically the only reason people need to post here is for suggestions or support. All other forums are for user benefit, e.g. talking about general stuff.

quote:
Plus all that information and help we've provided people for ages would be gone...
We will end up repeating it again anyway because new members won't bother to search so whatever you said in the past will remain and it will have to be said again.

by billywoods1 on 01-05-2004 at 01:56 PM

Maybe we could just have a read-only archives section or something? :undecided: All the sticky/important threads can be kept, all the announcements can be kept, maybe all the plugins/translations, but archive everything else? If this happens, anyway... it probably won't, but if it does, that's my idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
Post counts mean nothing... I would remove them if I were allowed.

Not true. Post counts allow people who are new to the forums to see who's more experienced at helping, and who's here often. (Of course, you could just add a new user rank, for those who are here often or help a lot or have been here for ages, but that's just a spin-off of Elite Members and would be pretty annoying to maintain.)

quote:
Technically the only reason people need to post here is for suggestions or support. All other forums are for user benefit, e.g. talking about general stuff.

As I said, people can't talk that much with all the spam any more. :P Anyway, doesn't seclude the fact that people like experienced forums more than newly made forums.
by kangie on 01-05-2004 at 02:24 PM

everything does seem to be locked and stuff.... even tho the thread starter still has things to say ¬¬ and does it matter if it goes off topic!? you cant start new threads for every different thing you say, just cos its not totally related.... you'd be accused of spamming :P mmm............

~kangie~

*admires her full member staus*

by GiantSpider on 01-05-2004 at 02:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I do agree, the forums are currently in a bad state - the worst ever.

Patchou knows about this and is planning to make some changes around here..

But stay tuned.

wj sed that the other day yet he sounded like a dictator. The forums are ppl not using the search functionbut usually a n00b doesn't how 2 use it ne way so we'd hav 2 do sumthin bout that first
by kangie on 01-05-2004 at 02:31 PM

Also, everyones right, you need all the info already here, otherwise youll just have to keep re-answering ppls questions, at least you have things to refer to, and its saves alot of time....

*keeps admiring her member staus*

And the post counts let you see how involved a person is, dammit, theyre just harmless funnn... don't kill them!

*begins to wail at the thought*

~kangie~

by GiantSpider on 01-05-2004 at 02:35 PM

but you still hav 2 answer the same question neway 4 evry new n00b that joins. for instance there is a sticky in help & support i think) that explains how 2 uninstall the sponser yet ppl still make threads asking how 2 get rid of it

by CookieRevised on 01-05-2004 at 04:57 PM

That the reason why I think deleting all the threads is useless.... just do a clean sweep and remove all the "spam" and non related plus and messenger posts, keep the posts/threads which are used for reffering. The people put a lot of time in it to give big, detailed answers!!!
Just deleting everything is kind off... errr... lazy of the admins/mods/whatever.... sorry to say this, but if you want to clean the forum then clean it... don't delete it....

Another way of putting it: a huge knowledge base is revised, not erased....

The major problem is indeed: people can't find the answer directly so they ask the same question again and again.... Maybe time to make a good help-file for plus!? Or to make the search option more standing out and user friendly....

About the post counts... Well, in general, they are a good indicator, abuse is everywhere, yet it will be a pitty if all that is also erased. But then again, that's the least thing... it's only an indicator...

my 2 euro's ;)

by Chris.1 on 01-05-2004 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Maybe time to make a good help-file for plus!? Or to make the search option more standing out and user friendly....

Something like this might be useful http://wordpress.org/support/index.php?action=vth...&topic=1003&page=0

quote:
my 2 euro's ;)

hehe

by Johnny_Mac on 01-05-2004 at 07:41 PM

I take some of Cookie's points, they're good. (y)

But to properly clean this forum I'd estimate it would have to be closed for at least 3 days while repeated threads, etc were removed. General chit chat could be pruned as does forum and website need doing.

It's not that easy reading through every single post and trying to decide if you remove it will the topic make sence or not. It sounds easy but doesnt always work, trust me.

by billywoods1 on 01-05-2004 at 07:55 PM

It would also involve constantly checking for repeated threads and so on... :s It'd never stop.

by fluffy_lobster on 01-05-2004 at 08:22 PM

That's why I think it should be done in the opposite way... everything is deleted except individual threads that people request under very specific conditions.

by WDZ on 01-05-2004 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
* fluffy_lobster can hardly contain his excitement :gfdrin:

Hmm seriously though I wish it would happen, the tension is killing me
"Happen"? Whatever we do, it's not going to happen instantly, and nothing is even planned yet. I was expecting Patchou to start some more discussion about the changes, but he hasn't yet. Now isn't the best time anyway... the holidays just got over, and I'm busy working on the board as well as other things.

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
i like change
Maybe from your point of view it's good, but I think it's a hassle to change things after they've been one way for a long time. You have to get used to the new system, the new problems and confusion it causes, etc. :p

quote:
My suggestion would be to delete all posts. Radical I know. But if you delete the posts you delete the spam.
How about we delete the users too? If we don't, they will create new spam. ^o)

quote:
Just deleting everything is kind off... errr... lazy of the admins/mods/whatever.... sorry to say this, but if you want to clean the forum then clean it... don't delete it....

Another way of putting it: a huge knowledge base is revised, not erased....
I agree.

quote:
The major problem is indeed: people can't find the answer directly so they ask the same question again and again.... Maybe time to make a good help-file for plus!? Or to make the search option more standing out and user friendly....
There's the msgplus.net FAQ... if it's lacking answers to any of the commonly-asked questions here on the forums, it should be expanded. :p

quote:
But to properly clean this forum I'd estimate it would have to be closed for at least 3 days while repeated threads, etc were removed. General chit chat could be pruned as does forum and website need doing.

It's not that easy reading through every single post and trying to decide if you remove it will the topic make sence or not. It sounds easy but doesnt always work, trust me.
:lol: Yep.

quote:
That's why I think it should be done in the opposite way... everything is deleted except individual threads that people request under very specific conditions.
Uhh...

* WDZ slaps crazy ideas like that one around a bit with a large trout.
by bach_m on 01-05-2004 at 10:06 PM

quote:

perhapse ad a special group of people to help with the cleaning. senior-ish members who can help. (if htats even posible without a complete revision of the code...) and for 3 days just have a cleaning frenzy. assign various ppl to diferent forums to find all the useful stuff.
by dom. on 01-05-2004 at 10:11 PM

lol, well i agree on the post counts being disabled..

and i think tnt should be simply testing and trashing, threads that are about like how many cats people have should be considered General Chat, not spam.. :\ Its a general disscusion isnt it? and thats the same thing as general chat.. its not off topic :p (i dont know how i got that subject? :S)

but yeah.. i think that only the topic starter should be aloud to post in annoucments, that removes like 400 posts saying "well done" and i think deleting all the posts general chat and tnt would be a good idea, and maybe some other forums but not everything.. :\

by CookieRevised on 01-05-2004 at 10:33 PM

About reading everypost an trying to decide if it is on topic or not...
Well I always read every new post on the forums (don't reply always, cause that takes time (-> researching and stuff) and it happens often that I come across a post which is indeed difficult to place... But from now on I'll report stuff which I'm sure off (which I didn't always do in the past)
And sometimes, well... closing one eye isn't that bad. (If you catch my drift)...

by lizard.boy on 01-06-2004 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dom.
lol, well i agree on the post counts being disabled..

and i think tnt should be simply testing and trashing, threads that are about like how many cats people have should be considered General Chat, not spam.. :\ Its a general disscusion isnt it? and thats the same thing as general chat.. its not off topic :p (i dont know how i got that subject? :S)

but yeah.. i think that only the topic starter should be aloud to post in annoucments, that removes like 400 posts saying "well done" and i think deleting all the posts general chat and tnt would be a good idea, and maybe some other forums but not everything.. :\

no i think someonw should mod them more often :P or yea just make it so that announcements can have a subforum for replyable threads
by Chrono on 01-06-2004 at 02:17 AM

quote:

CookieRevised, I didn't actually see it go off-topic for more than about two posts, and even then someone went back on topic... as for locking it... pff, I dunno, it's just not how it really should be, locking threads when they get more than a page of replies.

Sorry billiwoods but when i closed the thread, i deleted about 20 off topic messages (talking about why did we delete stfu's thread :P)
Thats why u dont see the spammy posts :P
So dont judge if u dont know what was going on :chrongue:

------------------------------

Ok.. hmm i havent read the whole thread but i read the first posts...
See.. in the old days, when there was not such a big ammount of users, the GCC forum had quite a few spammy threads, and they werent moved mainly because there were not many replies to them.
Now theres a different situation, there are lots of spammers out there waiting for these kind of thread..
i used to move these 'spammy'-'silly'-'not useful' threads instantly to T&T when i read them..
but one day u complained that there were threads being moved to T&T that werent really spam..
So i changed my mind, and i was like 'ok, lets see what happens and then ill see if i move it/close it'... then again, u complained that there were spammy thread in GCC..
There will always be people who wont like my job, i know that
But im asking u for a bit of cooperation :)
We can do a great job if we work together, u know there is this "report" button in every post and u know u can use it :P
There are some guys who spend a lot of time here but never use it...
I have been spending lots of time here lately, so im reading almost every thread... But u know that when u are a mod sometimes is difficult to take the decision if the thread is just spam or not, cause if u take a wrong decision, there will be lots of guys asking 'why did u close / delete it?' :P
I was trying to let these surelly-will-be-spammed thread in GCC, and keeping an eye on them.
If u think that there's too much spam, then i can be more strict about it, i have no probs with that.
I need suggestions so i can do my job in a better way :)
Just remember to report a spammy post when u find it, cause its the best way to get rid of spam quickly (cause sometimes when im busy, i just log in to read the reported posts and then i leave)

Ok enough blah blah, i want to read ur comments :happy:

EDITED: I read the whole thread (:P) and i agree with some of cookie and dom's comments.
by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 03:26 AM

I have one question:

if a spammy thread is creadted in T&T, with just an emoticon, we just leave it right??? no point in reporting as its A) in T&T already, and B)will get deleted in 48 hrs anyway, right???

but is it still ok for ppl to make spammy threads with just an emoticon in the first post?

by Chrono on 01-06-2004 at 03:41 AM

Ill start to delete that kind of threads from T&T as its annoying
No need to report threads that are already in T&T

by wacky on 01-06-2004 at 03:48 AM

aslong as its in T&T, its fine. rules arent as strict there. I dont think there is a rule about only one smilie in T&T even if its all thats in the first post of the thread. I remember Chrono doing it many times :P gimpy, dont worry about T&T. spam goes there and can be created there. thats the place for fun. dont report posts in there unless its porn or warez..

about the report button, I must say, USE IT FOR GODS SAKE! :P I use it often. u can even ask a mod or admin. I often see posts I've reported go to T&T. I dont go tell the person he/she in spamming directly on that thread. I report it and wait for it to be moved.. is it so hard to do?

and I agree. post count must be removed cuz it just encourages people to post more and they tend to spam..

thats all from me for now. and trust me, I know what spam is :wink:

by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 03:51 AM

i dont know if post count should be removed, maybe just frozen ;););) *weak smile*

its the onlything that distinguishes an older user from a new one, who do not deserve any respect (i'm just kidding!!!!) :P:P

by Chrono on 01-06-2004 at 03:54 AM

I dont remember starting a thread with just a :banana: in it :P
Im just asking for a bit of content, as to post a thread such as the : banana : one is pointless :P
Anyway, T&T is not the prob, as the spam in thre will always be deleted so i somehow agree with wacky :P

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
I use it often. u can even ask a mod or admin.
true
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
I report it and wait for it to be moved

btw, dont always expect for us to do what u are asking for... i mean u sometimes report a post as spam but maybe we (mods) dont agree and wont do anything to it
okies? :)

by Skittlieboots on 01-06-2004 at 04:04 AM

The board could be a little stricter, deleting the useless posts, won't work, if the mods are lenient with the people who make useless threads. The post count should not be a big deal, until people start making a bunch of useless posts everywhere to boost them, something which I really haven't seen. Most new users, really don't know how message boards work... I guess you could warn users more not to spam, and if they do not stop ban them. At another forum I go to, I mean really, post to much useless posts/ threads, too many double posts, bad language you get banned. Proper grammer and spelling is also asked of the members, and is edited by mods, if really necessary. Another forum, wasn't too strict on rules, and soon they had a spammer, that hacked into the forum and make the forums, his personal sex chat crap. However, this a big community, and big communities get hard to moderate and I really wouldn't your job, but yeah, ok.. I guess, all this rambling comes to one thing, I think the rules need to be enforced more.

by wacky on 01-06-2004 at 04:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
btw, dont always expect for us to do what u are asking for... i mean u sometimes report a post as spam but maybe we (mods) dont agree and wont do anything to it
okies? :)
yeh, I understand but sometimes its something u dont see. its hard to distinguish so u just let it there. its kinda going off topic and all. sometimes I just think it would be better off moved away cuz I feel like its gonna go off topic not long after but I dont mind if u guys dissagree. I'm just glad most of the stuff I report get moved. :happy:
quote:
i dont know if post count should be removed, maybe just frozen ;););) *weak smile*

its the onlything that distinguishes an older user from a new one, who do not deserve any respect (i'm just kidding!!!!) :P:P
well.. hmm.. maybe some should have a special title? well.. lots would just ask to have it and it would be hell :S hmm.. I understand what u mean tho but I dont think its a good enough reason to keep them. n00bs (sorry the term :$) like to fit in and us being equals would help them, dont u think? :P

by Skittlieboots on 01-06-2004 at 04:08 AM

Special titles is a BAD idea.. especially if based on post count... special titles should really only be given to those who earn it .. and I don't mean post count earn it, but yeah.. I'll stop rambling now..

by lylesback2 on 01-06-2004 at 04:10 AM

msgplus = support forums, not spam forum :)

by wacky on 01-06-2004 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Skittlieboots
Special titles is a BAD idea.. especially if based on post count... special titles should really only be given to those who earn it .. and I don't mean post count earn it, but yeah.. I'll stop rambling now..
well, I meant given by admins! not anyone just giving it to themselves :P admins should know which deserve what.. but people would complain they dont have any so it would be hell.

by WDZ on 01-06-2004 at 05:12 AM

quote:
If the post counters were removed, the MyBB reputation system would kind of take their place... :p
by dom. on 01-06-2004 at 07:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
If the post counters were removed, the MyBB reputation system would kind of take their place... :p
i agree.. itd be better without them..
by frog on 01-06-2004 at 08:21 AM

well if post counter wernt around.. i am positive no-one will spam cause htey'd have no reason to

by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 12:05 PM

ppl ill do it anyway, for some other goal (remember that game a while back that eveolved into a frenzy of crap. 105 pages, might i add...), or just for the hell of it! sometimes spam can be fun, but not always...

by Jeronimo on 01-06-2004 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
How exactly does the reputation system work? I would be happy to see post counts go if we got a reduction in the amount of crap people post.
by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 12:10 PM

i dont think it will reduce the crap. there just wont be a way of saying "Wow! 14 posts per day. :dodgy: spammer..."

but u can see a working version at http://community.mybboard.com/

by Jeronimo on 01-06-2004 at 12:16 PM

I see there is a reputation with a little green square. Is a simple case of good reputation or bad reputation? Or are there levels of reputation?

My thoughts are, with so many members, are people going to vote for each other??

by WDZ on 01-06-2004 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
I see there is a reputation with a little green square. Is a simple case of good reputation or bad reputation? Or are there levels of reputation?
Every user has a "score," a positive or negative number based on the number of votes for/against them. If you have many votes in one "direction," you can have up to ten of the little [Image: repbit_pos.gif] or [Image: repbit_neg.gif] images. There haven't been many votes on the community forums, so you can't see them yet.

quote:
My thoughts are, with so many members, are people going to vote for each other??
I think only elite members and forum staff should be able to vote, so there's no abuse, and the reputations are given by trusted people. When they see a post they like or don't like, they should vote. If you disagree, please say so. :p
by Wabz on 01-06-2004 at 02:54 PM

I think thats a great idea WDZ perhaps rewards for getting great reputations and stuff follow?

by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 05:38 PM

i think that would be a very good system. it also makes sure that people cannot just get there without making a dent. so it takes imput from only respected members. i think that would be a great thing. but keep the ranking on the secret stats page of most posts, but dont actually show the postcount.

by Jeronimo on 01-06-2004 at 05:53 PM

Ah yes, much clearer thanks WDZ. Yes I think having voting open to all would lead to abuse etc.

As long as the staff aren't too lazy to vote (:dodgy:) then its a much better system. There is a good core of people here on the forums that provide accurate, reliable help. A system that helps show this better would be much welcomed (y)

by fluffy_lobster on 01-06-2004 at 05:59 PM

Yeah, I sadly (as much as I'd like to vote :chrongue:) think it would spoil it to let just anyone do reputations, it must be said...

For it to work the elite members would have to make an effort to make good votes as well as bad votes when they see fit, because it's very easy just to notice and do something about it when it's negative.  I reckon there should also be a policy of not voting on posts where there's a personal issue which would bias things - reputations must not be a way to get at people you don't like.

by fluffy_lobster on 01-06-2004 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Uhh...

* WDZ slaps crazy ideas like that one around a bit with a large trout.

:O Johnny_Mac's idea was to wipe the entire forums!  I was just suggesting how to rescue important threads :cry:

:gfdrin:
by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 06:05 PM

quote:

Sorry billiwoods but when i closed the thread, i deleted about 20 off topic messages (talking about why did we delete stfu's thread)
Thats why u dont see the spammy posts
So dont judge if u dont know what was going on

------------------------------

Ok.. hmm i havent read the whole thread but i read the first posts...
See.. in the old days, when there was not such a big ammount of users, the GCC forum had quite a few spammy threads, and they werent moved mainly because there were not many replies to them.
Now theres a different situation, there are lots of spammers out there waiting for these kind of thread..
i used to move these 'spammy'-'silly'-'not useful' threads instantly to T&T when i read them..
but one day u complained that there were threads being moved to T&T that werent really spam..
So i changed my mind, and i was like 'ok, lets see what happens and then ill see if i move it/close it'... then again, u complained that there were spammy thread in GCC..
There will always be people who wont like my job, i know that
But im asking u for a bit of cooperation
We can do a great job if we work together, u know there is this "report" button in every post and u know u can use it
There are some guys who spend a lot of time here but never use it...
I have been spending lots of time here lately, so im reading almost every thread... But u know that when u are a mod sometimes is difficult to take the decision if the thread is just spam or not, cause if u take a wrong decision, there will be lots of guys asking 'why did u close / delete it?'
I was trying to let these surelly-will-be-spammed thread in GCC, and keeping an eye on them.
If u think that there's too much spam, then i can be more strict about it, i have no probs with that.
I need suggestions so i can do my job in a better way
Just remember to report a spammy post when u find it, cause its the best way to get rid of spam quickly (cause sometimes when im busy, i just log in to read the reported posts and then i leave)

Ok enough blah blah, i want to read ur comments

EDITED: I read the whole thread (:P) and i agree with some of cookie and dom's comments.

Hmm... again, I was a bit caught by your 'blah blah', so I haven't read much else. :P

Firstly (setting aside the fact that you ALWAYS misspell my name :P), I don't see why threads need to be pruned and locked... one or the other maybe, but not both. It just makes people like me realise that a seemingly innocent thread has been locked for no reason. :P Putting it into perspective, 20 spammy posts is a lot, but if that's just from one user/group then ban them and delete the posts, don't mark the thread as unkosher and immediately quarantine it by locking it, assuming that if you don't more spam will come and spread. :P

About the report bit, doesn't this kinda contradict what you're saying? In fact, it seems kind of irrelevant too, and maybe you misunderstood. I can understand deleting posts or locking threads, but when every third post is locked or shoved in T&T, it gets kind of annoying. I want you to be LESS strict with spam! :P

As for WDZ's idea, I have a slightly more complicated idea on the same theme (naturally), and if he'd like to hear it, I'd be happy to post it... but it means it's slightly more fair on those who aren't elite and up, and also slightly less of a hassle for those who are.

Blah... had to remove most of your emoticons, Chrono, sorry - too many images. :P
by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 06:06 PM

but i think there might need to be more than 13 (plus test_user ;);)) eligible voters. it seems like a great way to do it

by Jeronimo on 01-06-2004 at 06:16 PM

quote:
but i think there might need to be more than 13 (plus test_user ) eligible voters
What if when you reach a certain level of reputation, you are allowed to vote? In a way, it would be like the staff members voted you in to do that. Or is this open to abuse too I wonder?
by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 06:21 PM

but if someone got that high, they would be less likeley to abuse it. and if they do, they might be reputed down

by CookieRevised on 01-06-2004 at 06:23 PM

that's the thing that comes in my mind immedialty... With the current system, your postcount doesn't rely on other people... Although mods should be objective (I'm not saying the currents ones aren't!) in their job modding the forums, the new point-system will take it a step further. This means the job of moderator will be more difficult, as it is a hell of a job to stay objective ALL the time (and we're only human)... That's the drawback of the new system...
Afcourse, to more people who can vote, the more accurate the point-system will be....

But then again, every system has his drawbacks...

Maybe to combine those two systems? (like some other forums do) Keep the post count, (loose the "special" title's though) and implement the point-system. IMHO, this is the best way of seeing who's who:
a respected good poster will have a big postcount and good points (green)
a spammer would have big postcount but bad negative points (red)
a new poster will have no points and no postcount
a respected member who doesn't post much will have low postcount but good points (in the current system he/she's considered a newbie)

Anyways, like WDZ said, every new implemented system will draw comments and you have to get used to it. It is always a hasle to change some long-running thing into something new....

by fluffy_lobster on 01-06-2004 at 06:24 PM

quote:
What if when you reach a certain level of reputation, you are allowed to vote? In a way, it would be like the staff members voted you in to do that. Or is this open to abuse too I wonder?
That probably would find some sort of flaw as you suggest...

I reckon more oldies than just the elite members should be allowed to vote... I would suggest either senior members or posting freaks but then you can get :spam:mers so maybe a combination of joining date and posts could allow a wider collection of members participate in the reputation system?
by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 06:27 PM

Jeronimo, similar to my idea. Anyway, having spoken with fluffy_lobster, it seems server load would be a large factor in this, and I have refined my idea a bit. As I said, if any mod/admin wants to hear it, I'd be happy to post it... but while no one asks for it, I'll save my fingers. ;)

by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Maybe to combine those two systems? (like some other forums do) Keep the post count, (loose the "special" title's though) and implement the point-system. IMHO, this is the best way of seeing who's who:
a respected good poster will have a big postcount and good points (green)
a spammer would have big postcount but bad negative points (red)
a new poster will have no points and no postcount
a respected member who doesn't post much will have low postcount but good points (in the current system he/she's considered a newbie)

i think this is a great idea. that way, ppl like dwergs, who are respected but have 8 posts get high ratings. and it makes it MUCH easier to figure out if your the only person whohates someone :P:P
by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Jeronimo, similar to my idea. Anyway, having spoken with fluffy_lobster, it seems server load would be a large factor in this, and I have refined my idea a bit. As I said, if any mod/admin wants to hear it, I'd be happy to post it... but while no one asks for it, I'll save my fingers.

i'd like to hear it. whats the point in ahving ideas if they arn't expressed?
by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 06:47 PM

Yeah, ok, sure. I just didn't want to suggest anything that would never be added anyway. :P Still, I'll explain it. :)

My original idea involved a lot of complicated maths that I've barely got my head round myself, but basically it was cumulative reputation based on agreement/disagreement from those in power.

Anyway, my 'refined' idea involves a reputation variable (yes, I'm talking in programming talk again :s) which can be fixed, say at 100 for elites, 150 for mods and 200 for admins, or whatever. Then when one person votes and a person with a reputation votes for the same thing, both mutually profit by a percentage of the reputation value of the other.

Example: A has reputation 0, B has reputation 50. A and B vote for the same thing. Assume the percentage gained is 4% - that way, A gets 4% of B's reputation (which is 2), and B gets 4% of A's reputation (0). So now A has 2 and B has 50.

Now say they both vote for the same thing again. A and B will get 4% of each other's reputation, leaving A with 4 and B with 50.08. Then if a third person, C, with reputation 2500 (absurd, but to explain the point :P) votes for the same thing:
- A and B get 4% of C's reputation (which is 100) each.
- C gets 4% of A's and B's reputation (some horrible number, about 2.1632).

A similar idea can be used for the actual status, dependent on the reputation of the voters, and maybe even a depletion of reputation for disagreement from those with a high reputation.

Basically, the more reputation a member has, through sensible voting, the more their votes count towards members' status and other members' reputation.

Told you it was complicated. :P

Edit: CookieRevised's idea is good too, and a lot simpler, but it places a lot of initial strain on the elite members, and can also be subject to bias. In my way, it can all be hidden so people can't intentionally vote for their friends' ideas, and so on.

by fluffy_lobster on 01-06-2004 at 06:47 PM

Yeah... I didn't say don't express it ;) now you've left us all waiting you might at well. (Edit: blah, seems you got there before me :P)

I also didn't say that the server load was significant, but that wdz is sure to insist that it would be :P  I think the idea would be pretty cool if possible

by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 06:52 PM

Yeah, it'd be quite difficult though... I don't mind doing all the maths and stuff, my brain thinks that way. ;) But ultimately it's WDZ who has to code it, and this server that has to hold it all. Not really up to me or anyone else.

by D:Frag on 01-06-2004 at 07:00 PM

What's the meaning of the post count? It could be nothing, many people rate member's reputation by the post count, others just think they're spammers...

My idea is to give a meaning to the post count, to rate members reputation with it, and a good reputation in this forum would mean someone that has contributed in a good way... so... to the point... disable the post counters in all General forums, *dodges rotten tomatoes and trout slaps* the thing is that General forums have general interest information that should have nothing to do with Messenger Plus, and the post counter should rate a member's reputation for the Messenger Plus Forums... yeah, is a very harsh idea... so, what do ya think?  *

by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D:Frag
disable the post counters in all General forums, *dodges rotten tomatoes and trout slaps*

* billywoods1 applies the proverbial trout to D:Frag :P

The post counts are necessary, and besides, we're a msgplus support forum, why would you bother just regulating spammers in non-msgplus forums?
by D:Frag on 01-06-2004 at 07:15 PM

Disabling the counters in General Forums would prevent people posting just to get a higher post count and would reduce the hassle of regulating those forums :)

by Chrono on 01-06-2004 at 07:23 PM

quote:

Firstly (setting aside the fact that you ALWAYS misspell my name ), I don't see why threads need to be pruned and locked... one or the other maybe, but not both. It just makes people like me realise that a seemingly innocent thread has been locked for no reason.  Putting it into perspective, 20 spammy posts is a lot, but if that's just from one user/group then ban them and delete the posts, don't mark the thread as unkosher and immediately quarantine it by locking it, assuming that if you don't more spam will come and spread.

I never misspell ur nick cause i never write it really :P
Anyway, i pruned it twice and they keep spamming the thread, so i just locked it to stop them (note that i cant ban people (yet :wink:)), i would have ban them for sure :P
Next time, if im going to close a thread but i pruned it first, im going to leave a message about it :P

quote:
I want you to be LESS strict with spam!

:dodgy:

quote:
Disabling the counters in General Forums would prevent people posting just to get a higher post count and would reduce the hassle of regulating those forums :)

Nah, the spam will increase in the plus related forums if u do that :undecided:

I like an idea posted before.. to keep the post counters in the secret statistics page ( i mean, to leave the top poster page there -statistics are cool :P-, and remove the post counter attached on every post

by D:Frag on 01-06-2004 at 07:32 PM

THEN WE'RE DOOMED!!

Oh, sorry about that :p yes, you're right... anyways, I liked my idea to give another meaning to the post count and it's member.

by bach_m on 01-06-2004 at 07:35 PM

quote:

I like and idea posted before.. to keep the post counters in the secret statistics page ( i mean, to leave the top poster page there -statistics are cool -, and remove the post counter attached on every post

:) my idea :)

that way its still there (and can be calculated in simple SQL and php), but kinda hidden. maybe the post count should only be available in the user CP, so u can see ur own, but not anyone elses. or does that just give ppl something to compare???
by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 09:19 PM

We really shouldn't get rid of the post counts. :P They do give a small indication as to who's been around the most. You all say yourselves that spammers get punished. Chrono, as for the 'less strict with spam' comment, I just meant don't permanently condemn a thread because of one annoying spammer.

by CookieRevised on 01-06-2004 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Yeah, ok, sure. I just didn't want to suggest anything that would never be added anyway. :P Still, I'll explain it. :)
[SNIPPED FOR OBVIOUS REASONS]
Edit: CookieRevised's idea is good too, and a lot simpler, but it places a lot of initial strain on the elite members, and can also be subject to bias. In my way, it can all be hidden so people can't intentionally vote for their friends' ideas, and so on.
About the strain: very true... the system will only be usefull/reliable after a long period of time of modding (2-3 months?)...

Your suggestion: I thought of that also (something very similar)... The big disadvantage is you'll have to get the calculation damn right, otherwise the whole system won't work...
It's like tuning a RPG game, it takes months to create a decend RPG game character. Or you could also compare it with AI-live: 1 small error in your tuning and your slider dies.

And I can see one 1 major flow in your theory:
You can abuse it even easier then the current system :D
I (as user A) will evaluate every post I see on the forum. Normaly, I will evaluate a post the same as an admin (user B) (if I have some commen sense that is :p)... So this will give me more then 50% chance of being right about the evaluation and automaticly being promoted. Because I evaluated every post, my reputation will increase very rapidly as the mods are trying to do their job....

quote:
My idea is to give a meaning to the post count, to rate members reputation with it, and a good reputation in this forum would mean someone that has contributed in a good way... so... to the point... disable the post counters in all General forums
If you DON'T disable the counters and just ADD the new point-system WDZ talked about, you'll have a meaning to the post-counts... It's all in my previous post ;)

Another thing 'bout the new system:
How do you evaluate someone? I mean, if he behaves good, give good replies and all, you'll give him x points. So this goes on for let's say 3 months. The reputation system is working good. But all of a sudden the guy with the good reputation goes nuts and spams like hell. But because he has lots of good points, you actually can't do much with your -3 points for him. Sure his reputation goes down, but not like it should.....
So, in short, it needs damn good fine tuning also (how much points can one give at a certain time, do you only have eg. 10 points to give, or can you give as much points as you want, etc... etc...)

Anyways, I'm sure the admins will do their best to make it fool/monkeyspam-proof while we are discussing something that isn't there yet ;)
by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 09:58 PM

I'll take your points in order...

quote:
The big disadvantage is you'll have to get the calculation damn right, otherwise the whole system won't work...

I could handle that. ;)

quote:
Normaly, I will evaluate a post the same as an admin (user B)

The votes could be hidden?

quote:
Because I evaluated every post, my reputation will increase very rapidly as the mods are trying to do their job....

Then you decrease reputation when you disagree with admins.

quote:
But all of a sudden the guy with the good reputation goes nuts and spams like hell.

Sounds like a ban. :P

Obviously there should be limits, otherwise the fixed ranks of 100 and so on are useless. This is just a system to get helpful people to have more effect on the forums than others.
by lizard.boy on 01-06-2004 at 10:00 PM

my ideas:
-enable both post count and user ratings

-diable titles like noob-posting freak (<--i was almost there legitimatly:()

-make it so that either mods/admin/l33ts can enable / diable each users right to vote on a user rating

-i'm not sure if this is how it works but make it so that there are a possible ten stars(?) but mods get like 12 admins get like 15 and patchou gets 20 (blah make it so that mods get red stars admins get green stars l33ts get bloo stars

-make it so that mods and admins have the right to take away/add stars in one blow instead of raising an average

i'm sure i'm forgetting someting but :P

oh and i keep saying stars because i think that a green/red square would be ugly in this nice skin, maybe a box could be GFDDed

by CookieRevised on 01-06-2004 at 10:05 PM

quote:
The votes could be hidden?
Then you decrease reputation when you disagree with admins.
I assumed they where hidden. (heck they MUST be hidden in this case or the system wont work at all) That's why I said: "If I use common sense".... Either a post is wrong or it is good. So if I use commen sense (like the mods do) I get it right almost every time, so my reputation WILL increase....

If you say: then we change the voting of a post so that your evaluating must be exact the same as the mod-one. (So that you could evaluate a post from -10 to 10), then the chances of being exact the same as a mod-one are nihil and everybody's reputation will decrease...
by billywoods1 on 01-06-2004 at 10:12 PM

If they use common sense and they're right, they deserve a good reputation. By using common sense, I mean the people who vote down the spammers and vote up those who give good answers. Not much more to it than that. If you're right about stuff, why shouldn't you have a reputation?

The people who don't get reputations are those who think that huge memory-consuming tasks added into Plus! to annoy the shit out of their contacts would be a good idea, or that Plus! should be turned into some Messenger hack program, or that Plus! should give you block checkers and stuff. A lot of people do think all this, and quite obviously, it's wrong, and they'll get lower reputations.

by CookieRevised on 01-07-2004 at 03:48 AM

quote:
If they use common sense and they're right, they deserve a good reputation. By using common sense, I mean the people who vote down the spammers and vote up those who give good answers. Not much more to it than that. If you're right about stuff, why shouldn't you have a reputation?
Yes, but also the "bad" user will vote "correctly" (although they don't vote what they truly believe, but they vote "the right way" just to increase there rep) and thus increasing their reputation. And in no time everyone will have the same reputation.... making it rather useless...
by Chrono on 01-07-2004 at 03:51 AM

thats why only certain people should be allowed to rate as dz mentioned (maybe the mods/admins/elites

by bach_m on 01-07-2004 at 04:03 AM

but that should correspond to an increase in the elite pool, or a new "lower-elite" group. 13 ppl to vote isn't enough.

by Chrono on 01-07-2004 at 04:22 AM

well then other elites could be added, or whatever..

by WDZ on 01-07-2004 at 05:19 AM

quote:
but that should correspond to an increase in the elite pool, or a new "lower-elite" group. 13 ppl to vote isn't enough.
If the reputation system is used, and only elites and above are allowed to vote, there will definitely be more added.

As for the rest of the new stuff in this thread, there's too many ideas and not enough time to "process" them all in my head. :p

I'll wait till you all come to some agreement and refine and summarize your ideas, then I'll comment. :p

by Wabz on 01-07-2004 at 10:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
If the reputation system is used, and only elites and above are allowed to vote, there will definitely be more added.

As for the rest of the new stuff in this thread, there's too many ideas and not enough time to "process" them all in my head. :p

I'll wait till you all come to some agreement and refine and summarize your ideas, then I'll comment. :p

Summarized my ideas , Going to the Pub bye :refuck:

Nah WDZ just do what you think is like you'll soon know if we dont like it

by bach_m on 01-07-2004 at 12:01 PM

i think the best idea is the leave the post counter on, and add the new reputation system, allowing ONLY the eltes and up to vote. that way we'll be able to tell the 4 things that weere said b4(i forget who and am too lazy to check):P.

no rep and low post (new member)
Red and High post (spammer)
Green and High post (good person)
Green and low post (respected member, who has a alife :refuck:)

by ranicx on 01-07-2004 at 12:43 PM

argh no again.. i remember last time ppl dint want the post counter... again ill say, i love the post counter and very much want it to stay..

with the reputation thing.. i agree with Bach_m.. the way hes put it in the post above is good. but what ever happens, keep the post counter, or der gona be 1 pissed of person over here :dodgy:

by WDZ on 01-07-2004 at 03:12 PM

How about we keep the post counts, but make the user titles and stars based on reputation instead of posts? I kinda like that idea...

by fluffy_lobster on 01-07-2004 at 04:05 PM

That sounds pretty cool - kinda hinting at billy's idea: maybe a certain reputation level would be allowed to vote?

by billywoods1 on 01-07-2004 at 05:09 PM

Exactly, but the problem with this system is that the elite title will just be completely useless if everyone who's a regular member joins it, and if we make a new group, how do we decide what other privileges these have?

by D:Frag on 01-08-2004 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
How about we keep the post counts, but make the user titles and stars based on reputation instead of posts? I kinda like that idea...

I kinda like it too, it would also disencourage people to post only for ranks. You could add a button on all messages, and when someone comes with a good idea, message, etc., and people likes it, then people could hit that button to increase that someone's reputation... and maybe add a button that works viceversa :)
by bach_m on 01-08-2004 at 12:03 PM

............. thats how the rep system works..... check out htttp://community.mybboard.com and u'll se an example.

so we've decided on Post count: yes, user titles: no, reputation: yes, but only a select group can vote

by Wabz on 01-08-2004 at 04:05 PM

User titles no :O 

I like user titles to be related to post counts.

(Y)  Selected Groups should be able to vote as we're trying to increase maturity in the forums so responsibility of this and the desire to be able to vote Should make people think more before they post and be more polite and sensible  Hopefully

by Chrono on 01-08-2004 at 07:22 PM

Well its almost done.. except that we need to discuss how will the reputation system work ( a final post with all the conclusions we got must be posted by someone when we are done so wdz can read it)

by bach_m on 01-08-2004 at 07:26 PM

i think the best idea is to have only elites and up be alowed to vote on  reputation, as well as an increase in the elite member group. that way we have a relatively large voting pool, given the number of ACTIVE users, most of whom get along and are good members. they will then be allowed to vote on all users (even mods/admins/elites).

and i like the user titles. theres no need to get rid of them

by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 08:04 PM

Hmm, I really don't think it should be limited to elites and up. If we add the 100-200 people who are regularly here to the elites list it'll become a bit worthless. How about a 'respected members' group or something? It's just to keep 'elite members' as it is, a small group of the elites. :P

Edit: I believe people should be allowed to change reputation by so much. Elites and up (and this new group, if it's created) should have a reputation of, say, 20 (fixed), and every else can be between -15 and +15. Elites (and the new group, if it's created) can alter the reputation by +1 or -1, mods by -2, -1, +1 or +2, and admins by whatever they want. Just my idea.

by Chrono on 01-08-2004 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Hmm, I really don't think it should be limited to elites and up. If we add the 100-200 people who are regularly here to the elites list it'll become a bit worthless. How about a 'respected members' group or something? It's just to keep 'elite members' as it is, a small group of the elites. 

But elites do nothing now :P so why would we create another group? it would be the same as being elite =P

We dont need to add 200 people neither :undecided:

by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 08:09 PM

No, but you know what I mean. We have loads of regular members. Plus, it's just the value of the title - if loads of people had it it would become worthless.

by bach_m on 01-08-2004 at 08:10 PM

i didn't say loads. i meant maybe 5-10 more people. thats not alot. and regulars arn't necesarily respected

by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 08:12 PM

I know, the idea was that you add the respected members. :P Anyway, think about this, to give everyone a reputation we'd need a lot more than about 20-25 people. We'd need about 50, maybe more.

by Chrono on 01-08-2004 at 08:15 PM

yeah then maybe a special usergroup would be good :P
As, as u said, every regular should be able to vote..
but what would be this usergroup's title? :P

by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 08:17 PM

"Respected Members"?

Edit: wow, we've managed to stray from the topic so much, I can't even remember what this reputation system's for. :D

by Chrono on 01-08-2004 at 08:20 PM

Not every regular is respected :P

by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 08:22 PM

Then don't add all regulars to it, add regular respected members. :P

by WDZ on 01-08-2004 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
User titles no :O 

I like user titles to be related to post counts.
But the user titles and stars encourage spamming... n00bs are always asking how many posts they need to get more stars. (N)

quote:
I believe people should be allowed to change reputation by so much. Elites and up (and this new group, if it's created) should have a reputation of, say, 20 (fixed(, and every else can be between -15 and +15. Elites (and the new group, if it's created) can alter the reputation by +1 or -1, mods by -2, -1, +1 or +2, and admins by whatever they want. Just my idea.
Surfi actually already added something like that... votes from different groups can have different effects on reputation. Admins could add, for example, 3 points, mods 2, etc.

quote:
and regulars arn't necesarily respected
:lol:

quote:
I know, the idea was that you add the respected members. :P Anyway, think about this, to give everyone a reputation we'd need a lot more than about 20-25 people. We'd need about 50, maybe more.
Not everyone needs a repuatation. Most of the admins/mods/elites read most of the posts on the board. When they see a post they like or don't like, they can simply vote. If there's nothing special about the post, don't vote.
by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 08:26 PM

Good idea. :)

Edit: grr, you type too fast, WDZ. :P

by WDZ on 01-08-2004 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Good idea. :)

Edit: grr, you type too fast, WDZ. :P
No, I type slow... maybe I click the "Post Reply" button too fast... :p
by bach_m on 01-08-2004 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Not everyone needs a repuatation. Most of the admins/mods/elites read most of the posts on the board. When they see a post they like or don't like, they can simply vote. If there's nothing special about the post, don't vote.

exactly. i know that i (and alot of others) read as many posts as they can, so we only really need maybe 20 people. i htink that should be fine, considering the number of people who post here in a given week. it can't be that many more than 200, can it?!?

and if ppl dont read that many posts, i have a solution. use a browser that supports tabs (mozilla, mozilla firebird, Avant, MyIE2), and use the latest posts page. :P very simple
by billywoods1 on 01-08-2004 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
No, I type slow... maybe I click the "Post Reply" button too fast...

It does put a lot of stress on those 20 though, bach_m. Especially during holidays and stuff.
by bach_m on 01-08-2004 at 10:15 PM

maybe, but i dont think it will be THAT much of a problem. i mean, if some of the 20 are away, wouldn't it make sence that there are a proportionately smaller amount of posts???? the 20 are just like others, just with a bit more power

by Chrono on 01-08-2004 at 11:10 PM

reading these latest posts im a bit confused..
So this rating system is gonna rate member's posts?
so we will be able to vote once for every post made by a member?
Or are we rating the member himself.. just once?

by WDZ on 01-09-2004 at 06:15 AM

quote:
So this rating system is gonna rate member's posts?
Yeah... the reputation of the user is based on the user's most important thing: his/her posts.

quote:
so we will be able to vote once for every post made by a member?
Yes, but I hope you're not planning to attack users you don't like by finding and rating all their posts. :tongue: The number of votes you can give per day will be limited.

quote:
Or are we rating the member himself.. just once?
No, it's not like the rating feature in profiles.

by Chrono on 01-09-2004 at 06:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Yes, but I hope you're not planning to attack users you don't like by finding and rating all their posts.  The number of votes you can give per day will be limited.

Thats exactly why was I asking (/me looks at Muss :dodgy: :lol:)

I just think that we will get annoyied of this.. :undecided:
So if that happens, only bad posts will start to be rated and everyone's rating will go down.. :P
-------------

A suggestion: disable ratings in T&T :lol:

by CookieRevised on 01-09-2004 at 08:21 AM

Ok, I posted this before but since WDZ typed to fast (or somthing like that :p) this one got missed I think in this fast thread (If I look at the some replies).. so I moved it :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------
----ORIGINAL POST----
lurking here... so far I like Billywoods idea that different groups have different limitations for voting (+1, +2, ...)

things needed to be taken in consideration:
* Can one vote for the same post multiple times?
* What if that post gots edited, is it considered a new post where you can vote on it again or not?
* What if you want to change your vote for a certain post?
* Should one vote for posts only, or also on members general.
* If you vote for individual posts, maybe it is an idea to have two reputation bars: 1 for the individual post, 1 for the poster himself.
* What if a post gots deleted; does this delete also the votes for it and so the votes for the poster himself?
* Maybe if a post gots moved to T&T or deleted by an admin, the reputation of that poster (and/or post) should decrease.

Another thing about the user titles:
The problem is that the current user titles are a bit confusing:
"Post Freak", etc... only says something about your post count, not who you are in the group.
"New member", "elite member", "mod", "full member" are in fact titles that don't have to do anything with postcount but with your status in a group....

So, IMO, this has to be fixed also; either use things like "post freak", "regular poster", "lurker", etc... and link it to the postcount or use titles like "elite member", "full member", "regular member" etc... and don't link them to postcount, but link them to a reputationlevel or time....

by billywoods1 on 01-10-2004 at 06:24 PM

My thoughts on CookieRevised's points:

quote:
* Can one vote for the same post multiple times?
No. If it's extremely good, then bleh, people will notice. If it's bad, use the report button.

quote:
* What if that post gots edited, is it considered a new post where you can vote on it again or not?
I mostly only edit posts to correct my spelling or add an additional point or something. If it changes the whole theme of what is said, there was probably a reason to vote as you did before, so you don't need to vote again.

quote:
* What if you want to change your vote for a certain post?
Depends how hard it is for WDZ to code, and how lazy he's feeling. :P As I said there shouldn't really be a need to change your vote.

quote:
* If you vote for individual posts, maybe it is an idea to have two reputation bars: 1 for the individual post, 1 for the poster himself.
Not too sure what you mean? :s

quote:
* What if a post gots deleted; does this delete also the votes for it and so the votes for the poster himself?
Maybe there could be an option for the admins? For example, if the starter of a thread deletes it, he can keep whatever points he's lost/gained, but if an admin/mod deletes it, they can choose what happens? (This is why I didn't refer to your fourth point, by the way...)

quote:
* Maybe if a post gots moved to T&T or deleted by an admin, the reputation of that poster (and/or post) should decrease.
Again, they could choose. And of course, reputation should not be counted in T&T.

Edit: oops, sorry, didn't see this post:

quote:
maybe, but i dont think it will be THAT much of a problem. i mean, if some of the 20 are away, wouldn't it make sence that there are a proportionately smaller amount of posts???? the 20 are just like others, just with a bit more power
Why...? There are 20 people, and granted they post a lot, but we have thousands of members. If two are away, it doesn't mean there will be 90% of the normal number of posts. Mostly I don't post because one of them has, so I reckon there will be the same number of posts, if not more.
by Chrono on 01-10-2004 at 06:53 PM

i agree with last billywoods1's comment (this time i copy/pasted ur nick :P), except:

quote:
Not really, cause there's already the "rate user" option in our profiles...

quote:
quote:

Maybe there could be an option for the admins? For example, if the starter of a thread deletes it, he can keep whatever points he's lost/gained, but if an admin/mod deletes it, they can choose what happens? (This is why I didn't refer to your fourth point, by the way...)

nah it shouldnt go up/down if u delete a thread... even if it was u who deleted it

by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Not really, cause there's already the "rate user" option in our profiles...

But that's 1) crap, 2) no-one knows about it, 3) IIRC its going to be deleted....
My suggestion is to link that to the votes of the posts.... the more positive votes he got for his various posts, the more he, as a user, will be rated positive...

quote:
Again, they could choose. And of course, reputation should not be counted in T&T.
So... someone who spams a lot gets a negative vote... then the post is plitted to T&T... votes don't count there you say.... So, his negative votes are lost... what's the point in voting then?

The reason for summing up those points in my previous post was that IMO it's not that easy to say this or that... Everything you do/suggest should be considered... "What happens if..."

No system is fail-proof, but with lots of thinking and considering you can make it very good.... It all depends on how reliable you want it to make....

note: just thought of another point to think about:
If you only vote for posts. What happens with the "respected user" who doesn't post much (like Dwergs). He can only gather so many positive votes, cause he only has so many posts.... meaning: if you don't take the postcount into consideration into the voting-system then it isn't reliable (again).... (or solution, vote also on the person who posts, but link this also to the postvotes...)

by Guido on 01-10-2004 at 08:19 PM

Wow... quite a bit of posts...

Anyway, I vote yes for the reputations, they are better than nothing...

However... I just came up with an idea (and please read it till the end): making a sort of "comments" feature for each user, so we could leave comments (1 per user, of course) about a certain user, and qualify it as positive/neutral/negative just like in Ebay and those kind of sites. So, basically, the reputation can be a number:

Patchou (34)
Guido (0)
Batchou (-12)

I think that's more fair, plus the text comments are useful to know more about the persons' character and attitude. It's a good extension to the reputations system. Additionally, if someone is constantly flamed and doesn't really understand why, he can read his comments by other users to see how he/she can change his attitude in order not to be banned or just ignored.

So, back to the example, if next week I find out Patchou... erhm... has been logging in as another user and spamming all the forums... I can go to his profile (or click on the link in his reputation number), update my comment to "This guy started being nice, but now he's spamming all the boards" and setting my opinion on him "Negative".

Thus, Patchou's reputation would be 32 (two less), because I had previously voted him positively.

Neutral comments would be just "gentle warnings" to the users that are evidently making mistakes but maybe not in purpose.

Here again, we can make admins/mods/elites/members/newbies' comments count as 1 point, 2 points, 5 points (or whatever), depending on the group. Or just make all groups count as 1 point per comment, to make it more fear.

Bottom line: Yes, it is a complex system and yes, it seems hard to implement, but it's certainly more useful than the Post counts, The current rating or Mybb's reputation thingy. Imho, of course.

Opinions please? [Image: viejo.gif]

by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 08:31 PM

in short: as I see it (as an added system, not a replacement) and think about it... there are no drawbacks... I vote 5/5 (y)

by Chrono on 01-10-2004 at 10:12 PM

quote:
So... someone who spams a lot gets a negative vote... then the post is plitted to T&T... votes don't count there you say.... So, his negative votes are lost... what's the point in voting then?
Once u voted, whatever we do with the thread, it wont change the votes. he would still have a bad/good reputation

------------

Guido's idea is great :o:O:O (Y)
I like it even more than the reputation dodgy system :dodgy:

by billywoods1 on 01-10-2004 at 10:27 PM

Guido: good idea, but I think if this were to be implemented, no one would leave positive comments, so there should be an OPTION to leave a comment. Apart from that, I see no flaw in this, except maybe server space. :P

by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Once u voted, whatever we do with the thread, it wont change the votes. he would still have a bad/good reputation

Yes I know (because of your previous post)... I was replying to billywoods' idea that votes don't count in T&T....
by Guido on 01-10-2004 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Guido: good idea, but I think if this were to be implemented, no one would leave positive comments, so there should be an OPTION to leave a comment.
I don't think i understand what you mean here, but still, people would leave positive comments if they really think the other one deserves it. I would, at least, and I'm sure many other responsible users would too :-/.
quote:
Apart from that, I see no flaw in this, except maybe server space. :P
:gfdrin: Server space is not a problem (anyway not much would be used compared to the posts table :P), and the additional query is equal to the one that would be used if the RC1 reputation system was added, so... no negative point there.

by billywoods1 on 01-10-2004 at 10:38 PM

Well yes, but I mean people can complain by saying 'spammer' or 'links to trojans' or something, not many people are gonna leave a comment saying 'I like this post'. :P Comments should be optional really, I'm happy to add one if necessary but mostly I would vote if people had been helpful and informative, etc., and I'm not gonna bother typing out that they were each time. :P

Edit/off-topic: 3333 posts, guido :o

by Chrono on 01-10-2004 at 10:43 PM

Maybe to implement the reputation system we talked about in this thread and the choice to leave a message about the user..

by Guido on 01-10-2004 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Edit/off-topic: 3333 posts, guido :o
:shocked: thx for noticing :P
quote:
Maybe to implement the reputation system we talked about in this thread and the choice to leave a message about the user..
Urhhhh that's partly what I'm suggesting... but... people must have a reason to vote in reputations, so its reasonable not to allow reputations without text. I agree it could be optional... but still, I think reputations would be better in numbers and not in images.

quote:
Well yes, but I mean people can complain by saying 'spammer' or 'links to trojans' or something, not many people are gonna leave a comment saying 'I like this post'.  Comments should be optional really, I'm happy to add one if necessary but mostly I would vote if people had been helpful and informative, etc., and I'm not gonna bother typing out that they were each time.
I don't think you guys understand the point of my suggestion. When leaving a comment, you are not commenting on a post, but on the user itself. When you change your comment, your positive/negative/neutral rating about that user changes. So you won't put in your comment "I like this post", but you will put (positive) "This user has been repeatedly helpful and nice to other users in several posts. Keep it up!". Then, if it... urh... posts a trojan, you can update it with a neutral rating, and the following opinion: "Has always been helpful to users, but lately has been disregarding the forum rules."
by billywoods1 on 01-11-2004 at 10:35 AM

I see...

Well, I thought the post idea was better, because that way there was a chance to vote very badly for a lot of unhelpful/abusive posts and very well for a lot of helpful etc. posts. However, if you voted for a user, I agree, you should leave a comment, but it does make it very hard to change your vote... I still like the posts idea more, though, sorry. :)

by Guido on 01-11-2004 at 08:11 PM

quote:
I see...

Well, I thought the post idea was better, because that way there was a chance to vote very badly for a lot of unhelpful/abusive posts and very well for a lot of helpful etc. posts. However, if you voted for a user, I agree, you should leave a comment, but it does make it very hard to change your vote... I still like the posts idea more, though, sorry. :)
Problem is, if you vote per post, we must have another group of moderators being sure someone isn't voting against every post of a user -- which is impossible and very subjective.

Having only one point to give to one user, the reputations would be more equitative and fear. No mass-reputation-spamming possibilities there.

quote:
but it does make it very hard to change your vote
Not really... you would be surprised how my opinions of some of the members of the forum have changed since I joined. :P
by Wabz on 01-11-2004 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Not really... you would be surprised how my opinions of some of the members of the forum have changed since I joined. :P

:rolleyes:  It's true and people who are allowed to vote should be allowed to vote as many times as they like for that person as opinions do change , quite rapidly in fact

by WDZ on 01-11-2004 at 11:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
:rolleyes:  It's true and people who are allowed to vote should be allowed to vote as many times as they like for that person as opinions do change , quite rapidly in fact
Well, instead of voting multiple times, the vote could just be changed... :rolleyes:
by bach_m on 01-11-2004 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
the vote could just be changed

that seems best.....

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 03:41 AM

quote:
that seems best.....
Urrh do you people read my suggestion or not? :P

Yes, the vote should be unique per user and changeable at any time.

by WDZ on 01-12-2004 at 04:24 AM

Well, I'm not saying I don't like Guido's suggestion, but it would be quite a bit of work to completely change the reputation system like that. Also, as I said before, a user's posts are what should give you your opinion of a user, because this is a forum, so it makes tons of sense to have the reputation based on posts.

I think we need a poll, and I'll post one, but first, I'd like to get a list of the advantages and disadvantages of the regular reputation system, and Guido's suggestion. I don't want to just tell everyone to read this thread, because it's huge. :^)

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 04:46 AM

Good idea.

Some points (didn't think much time about them, and i might be a bit biased :P, so feel free to add)

Mybb Reputation System:
Pros:
-Handy to vote on each post.
Cons:
-As it is based in a fixed image meter, it won't be shown if there is not a high number of votes and it's not representative of the number of users that voted about the user.
-As everyone can vote on every post, the system can be abused in order to put someone's reputation down if he is hated by another user. The same happens with positive reputation.

My suggestion :P
Pros:
-People can read exactly what people think about someone and why they rate them positively or negatively.
-Neutral reputations are useful for kind "warnings" when you see someone is not behaving very well or something bothers you.
-The rated user can go and check the comments other users made about him/her to see how (s)he can change in order not to be banned or constantly hated :P
-As only one vote counts for each user per user, it can't be abused.
-The rating/comment can be changed at any time reflecting the personality or behaviour changes over time.
-As it would be displayed as a number, it's easier to instantly spot if people like the user or not, and how many people think that way.
-The system is usually known by many people because similar ones are used in online auctions sites.
-As there is a comment system, people won't just rate without reason -- and if they do, their comments would be removed. In the standard reputation system, there is no way to know if someone rates because he just hates the other user or with a real reason.

Cons:
-It's not coded
(Open to more suggestions about cons.)

And to explain each system, i guess posting these two posts (plus the objective pro/cons of each one) is enough:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Every user has a "score," a positive or negative number based on the number of votes for/against them. If you have many votes in one "direction," you can have up to ten of the little [Image: repbit_pos.gif] or [Image: repbit_neg.gif] images. There haven't been many votes on the community forums, so you can't see them yet.

quote:
I think only elite members and forum staff should be able to vote, so there's no abuse, and the reputations are given by trusted people. When they see a post they like or don't like, they should vote. If you disagree, please say so. :p

[more information should be added about Mybb's system]
quote:
However... I just came up with an idea (and please read it till the end): making a sort of "comments" feature for each user, so we could leave comments (1 per user, of course) about a certain user, and qualify it as positive/neutral/negative just like in Ebay and those kind of sites. So, basically, the reputation can be a number:

Patchou (34)
Guido (0)
Batchou (-12)

I think that's more fair, plus the text comments are useful to know more about the persons' character and attitude. It's a good extension to the reputations system. Additionally, if someone is constantly flamed and doesn't really understand why, he can read his comments by other users to see how he/she can change his attitude in order not to be banned or just ignored.

So, back to the example, if next week I find out Patchou... erhm... has been logging in as another user and spamming all the forums... I can go to his profile (or click on the link in his reputation number), update my comment to "This guy started being nice, but now he's spamming all the boards" and setting my opinion on him "Negative".

Thus, Patchou's reputation would be 32 (two less), because I had previously voted him positively.

Neutral comments would be just "gentle warnings" to the users that are evidently making mistakes but maybe not in purpose.

Here again, we can make admins/mods/elites/members/newbies' comments count as 1 point, 2 points, 5 points (or whatever), depending on the group. Or just make all groups count as 1 point per comment, to make it more fear

by bach_m on 01-12-2004 at 04:50 AM

quote:

-As it is based in a fixed image meter, it won't be shown if there is not a high number of votes and it's not representative of the number of users that voted about the user.

could easily be a text representation like in ur idea

quote:
-As everyone can vote on every post, the system can be abused in order to put someone's reputation down if he is hated by another user. The same happens with positive reputation.

not everyone will be able to vote ( i dont think) just elites and up.
by dotNorma on 01-12-2004 at 05:02 AM

quote:
What good would that do?The whole community should be able to vote :-\
by WDZ on 01-12-2004 at 05:10 AM

quote:
That's probably how it will be. I'd like it limited, because even with the "one vote per user" system, abusers could register new accounts and vote for their main accounts. Or course, this could be prevented by limiting voters by registration date, post count, or even reputation. :s

Also, some dodgy users might not be honest about their votes, or make uninformed votes just for fun.

Maybe admins/mods/elites could start off with positive reputations, so they would be allowed to vote, then as they vote for regular users, the ones that get positive reputations would automatically be allowed to vote, and that would just get the ball rolling, you know?

There's so many options we can use here... we're going to need lots of polls... :refuck:
by CookieRevised on 01-12-2004 at 05:19 AM

I made an example of the suggested features:

BlahWriter
Posting Freak
[Image: boyandpc.gif]
Rating: 815
Comments: 33

* Titles are still shown, but they refer to the amount of posts like "lurker", "regular poster", "posting freak", not to things like "newbie", "respected", "elite". Although "admin", "mod" is still shown afcourse
* Postcount is also shown (but with the other fields, this will have a meaning now. So, spammers, going for the highest postcount isn't so smart anymore)
* Rating: both the new mybb rating AND the comment-rating is shown

I think we agree on that, no? (as I've seen no objectives about that lately)...
But indeed the questions now are: who? when? why? what? etc...
I posted some points/remarks about this before. To make things easier I think we should vote/discuss 1 point at the time, otherwise it is pure chaos....

To start off: who can vote (for the rating-system)?
* Elite's and up
* Users (limited by registration date {+7days}, postcount {+20} and reputation {must be at least positive}) <= I vote for this (figures are just a suggestion)
* Everybody

(my 2$)

by WDZ on 01-12-2004 at 05:30 AM

quote:
BlahWriter
Posting Freak
[Image: boyandpc.gif]
Where are the stars? :P I think the stars should still be shown, and based on the reputation/rating.

quote:
Rating: 815
Comments: 33

Rating 815? :o He must have been good. :P

quote:
* Titles are still shown, but they refer to the amount of posts like "lurker", "regular poster", "posting freak", not to things like "newbie", "respected", "elite". Although "admin", "mod" is still shown afcourse
Hmm... I suppose that sounds good.

quote:
* Postcount is also shown (but with the other fields, this will have a meaning now. So, spammers, going for the highest postcount isn't so smart anymore)
(Y) (Y)

quote:
* Rating: both the new mybb rating AND the comment-rating is shown
What exactly do you mean? There's 2 separate ratings?

quote:
To make things easier I think we should vote/discuss 1 point at the time, otherwise it is pure chaos....
Yes, definitely... maybe separate threads even... :-/
by CookieRevised on 01-12-2004 at 05:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Where are the stars? I think the stars should still be shown, and based on the reputation/rating.

oops :) yeah, still good (y)....

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
yes, the mybb rating system and the system suggested by Guido (lets call it the eBay-system). Both are seperated systems if you like... Although in essence they are compliment to each other...

Example:
Postcount: 120
Rating: 60 (on average 1 out of 2 posts are voted positive)
comments: 10 (but if you click the comments, you'll see that the last 4 are negative...)
So, you can come to the conclussion:  Is this user up to something? He started off alright, but now? I dunno....

without the eBay-rating, you don't know about the late bad beheviour
without the mybb-rating, you could think this user is evil itself, and because of the high postcount, he's an evil spammer...

take the two together and you come to the right conclussion: He's good, but behaved bad lately...

by WDZ on 01-12-2004 at 06:00 AM

It seems like you're making this more complicated than it needs to be... or maybe I just don't get it...

quote:
Postcount: 120
Rating: 60 (on average 1 out of 2 posts are voted positive)
Now we're back to voting on posts instead of users?

quote:
comments: 10 (but if you click the comments, you'll see that the last 4 are negative...)
What the... :huh:

When you vote on a user, you give a positive or negative vote. These votes make up the total rating/reputation. The comments simply compliment the votes, and are available for curious people to read, so there's no reason to show a comment count along with the rating.
by CookieRevised on 01-12-2004 at 06:21 AM

errrr.... ok we're talking about two different things it seems.... :D

Yes, Like I see it, it is for the rating: voting on the posts, and for the comments: voting on the user... (so in short. Aswell as the mybb system (based on posts) as the eBay-system (based on person))

As you see it. It is voting on the user only. (I get it now :D)
But.... If some one can only vote once for a user, would it work? My doubt is that for making this to work, you have to let vote a lot of people to get a representative figure, no?  I mean, how is it on the other mybb forums? If this works then by all means, yes :)

Anyways, so actually, if I get it right this time:
* vote on the user (only once, though you can change it always)
* leave an optional comment if you wish (you can only leave 1 comment which you can always change)?

in other words (this is wat Guido suggested if I'm not mistaken... again :/)

-----------
EDIT
ok, major confussion... I reread previous posts.... there, WDZ, you talk about:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
a user's posts are what should give you your opinion of a user, because this is a forum, so it makes tons of sense to have the reputation based on posts.
So what DO you mean?

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 06:27 AM

quote:
Now we're back to voting on posts instead of users?
See below.
quote:
See below.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
When you vote on a user, you give a positive or negative vote. These votes make up the total rating/reputation. The comments simply compliment the votes, and are available for curious people to read, so there's no reason to show a comment count along with the rating.
That would be true if my suggestion was applied, but he is wanting (suggesting) both systems to be present at the same time. You can vote each post (it will sum up to the Rating) and you can leave comments about the user itself (1 only) - which will sum to the Comments count.

quote:
It seems like you're making this more complicated than it needs to be...
I Agree:
quote:
without the eBay-rating, you don't know about the late bad beheviour
without the mybb-rating, you could think this user is evil itself, and because of the high postcount, he's an evil spammer...

take the two together and you come to the right conclussion: He's good, but behaved bad lately...
Urhhh I don't think newbies (which will be the ones that will benefit the most out of this system because they are the ones who don't know the users) will spend 5 hours trying to descifrate and average every counter in order to get an idea of the character of the user :rolleyes:
quote:
could easily be a text representation like in ur idea
That would make it better. However, I was talking about the current Mybb system (which was the one that was going to be applied) and not what Mybb system might be modded into. That's why I made the suggestion :P

quote:
(Y)

quote:
(Y), still I think it would be more fear for everyone to be able to rate each user with the comments system :-/
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'd like it limited, because even with the "one vote per user" system, abusers could register new accounts and vote for their main accounts.
Blah, not so many people are crazy enough to do that :P

Anyway, by the voting being disabled for users of, let's say, less than 7 days of registered, this will discourage those kind of dodgy users (nobody will spend a year voting himself just to get a fancy rating).

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Maybe admins/mods/elites could start off with positive reputations, so they would be allowed to vote, then as they vote for regular users, the ones that get positive reputations would automatically be allowed to vote, and that would just get the ball rolling, you know?
Hmmm good idea, but... THAT would be hard to code :P

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
To make things easier I think we should vote/discuss 1 point at the time, otherwise it is pure chaos....
Yes, definitely... maybe separate threads even... 
Yeah, but the first issue to decide is whether to use none of the systems, mybb's, mine, something else, or both. Then we can get into another stage: the details of the system.
by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 06:39 AM

quote:
But.... If some one can only vote once for a user, would it work?
If the vote can be changed later, and there's a comment,  yes (my sugg.)

quote:
My doubt is that for making this to work, you have to let vote a lot of people to get a representative figure, no?
Well, no... If 2 people voted you will have a reputation of 2, which is significant anyways. It just means no more people know you enough, but  as they read the comments made to you they will know you more.

Anyways, so actually, if I get it right this time:
quote:
* vote on the user (only once, though you can change it always)
No, vote on each post, as many times you like.
quote:
* leave an optional comment if you wish (you can only leave 1 comment which you can always change)
Yes.

quote:
in other words (this is wat Guido suggested if I'm not mistaken... again :/)
Sort of, it's my comments system mixed with the reputations thingy.

Still, I think it's much more efficient, easier to code, understandable and user-friendly to have only one system (preferably the per-user one :P)
by WDZ on 01-12-2004 at 06:39 AM

quote:
So what DO you mean?
I was just defending the default MyBB system, but I'm willing to consider the "vote on users instead of posts" system too.

quote:
but he is wanting (suggesting) both systems to be present at the same time
Yeah, now I realize that, and Cookie, I don't like it. Modifying the existing system is one thing, but modifying it AND adding a whole new system? As I said, seems to be more complicated than necessary.

quote:
Blah, not so many people are crazy enough to do that
Yeah, but it's something I have to keep in mind as admin of these forums...

quote:
Hmmm good idea, but... THAT would be hard to code
I don't think it would be any more difficult than the other suggestions in this thread... not for me anyway. :p
by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I don't think it would be any more difficult than the other suggestions in this thread... not for me anyway. :p
Anyway, I don't think so many checks are necessary.

As I said, 7-day-registered limit should be enough... because:
quote:
...this will discourage those kind of dodgy users (nobody will spend a year voting himself just to get a fancy rating).

I'm glad you are considering an alternate system (Y)

quote:
Yeah, now I realize that, and Cookie, I don't like it. Modifying the existing system is one thing, but modifying it AND adding a whole new system? As I said, seems to be more complicated than necessary.
* Guido agrees :-/
by CookieRevised on 01-12-2004 at 07:07 AM

ahum ... me again :D (just gettings things right for 500% :D)

Combined:
* vote on posts (1 vote per user for each post, can't be changed)
* vote on the user with a comment (1 comment-vote per user for each user, can be changed)

ruled out due to difficulty
(although this would give an almost perfect view of the user... But I agree 100%: new people won't benefit from it; I was forgetting we're on a forum not some kind of character-analyzer-program)

MyBB:
* vote on posts (1 vote per user for each post, can't be changed)
* no comments
Pro: a spammer would post many posts, but will get many negative votes, so he wont spam as much
Pro: a bad user can vote negative on every post he encounters. This can be helped by settings some rules who actually can vote
Con: respected low-posters will have a low reputation

eBay:
* vote on the user (1 vote per user for each user, can be changed)
* you can leave an optional comment with your vote
=> I'll vote this one then

Pro: The comment system.
Pro: Respected low-posters can have a high reputation.
Pro: Spammers will get a low reputation
Con: *I had one, but forgot it, it's 8am, didn't sleep last night*

Do I have it right this time? (please say yes :D)

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Pro: a bad user can vote negative on every post he encounters. This can be helped by settings some rules who actually can vote
Isn't that a con? :P

quote:
Do I have it right this time? (please say yes )
Almost:

quote:
eBay:
* vote on the user (1 vote per user for each user, can be changed)...
* you can leave an optional comment with your vote
The original idea is for the comment to be required (to give a reason for the vote), and it would be changeable at any time.

In a short time I'll upload some models :P

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 04:42 PM

Ok, here are my suggestions, implemented :P

The reputation displayed in the posts:

[Image: mybbreputations_profile.png]

When you click in the reputation, you see the reputation summary for that user (click to enlarge):

[Image: mybbreputations_summary.png]

And this is the form to rate (or edit the rating) members:

[Image: mybbreputations_rate.png]

by billywoods1 on 01-12-2004 at 04:58 PM

I still like the posts idea, but bleh. :s If we're gonna vote users, can we make it, say, between +3 and -3? So if a person is generally good we can vote +1, and if they're really exceptionally good in difficult circumstances we can vote +2/+3? Just an idea.

Guido and I are discussing it on Messenger, so I may post back with more stuff. :P

Edit: yes, I think Guido's implementation is very nice too. ;) I did tell him on Messenger and forgot to post my approval here.

I think we've also decided that comments should be optional... for reasons that I'll explain later if I can find a good way of explaining them.

by Jeronimo on 01-12-2004 at 05:00 PM

Very nicely implemented Guido :gfdrin:

So would who can vote be limited to a certain few or is it best to open this up to lots of people. My concern with any system is, that if there are too few people voting, the system won't tell us anything. As we all know, a more accurate representation is made when more votes take place.

Dane Smith (-1) :rofl:

by billywoods1 on 01-12-2004 at 05:02 PM

I think it should be open to all. Even those with a bad reputation should have their say.

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 05:12 PM

quote:
I still like the posts idea, but bleh. :s If we're gonna vote users, can we make it, say, between +3 and -3? So if a person is generally good we can vote +1, and if they're really exceptionally good in difficult circumstances we can vote +2/+3? Just an idea.
^o) Good idea... but that would be the 5 stars system :-/ There's no fun in that :banana:

However, I now think that comments can be optional (I changed my mind about it), and therefore reformatted the form (click to enlarge):

[Image: mybbreputations_rate2.png]

by billywoods1 on 01-12-2004 at 05:18 PM

Yeah, but it's nicer to be able to differentiate between a bit of mild help and constant great help. :P

Anyway, very nicely implemented, yet again... :D

by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Yeah, but it's nicer to be able to differentiate between a bit of mild help and constant great help.
That's what the comments are for.

Otherwise, the reputation number would again mean nothing. If ratings are only POS/NEG/NEU the number shows in average how many people like the user or not.

quote:
I think it should be open to all. Even those with a bad reputation should have their say.
Agree
by billywoods1 on 01-12-2004 at 05:51 PM

Yeah, I see. Ok, I like the idea then. :D

by CookieRevised on 01-12-2004 at 07:00 PM

I like it also:
* everyone should be able to vote: (y)
* rating of a vote -1, 0, +1: (y)
* optional comment: (y)

by lizard.boy on 01-12-2004 at 09:59 PM

but wouldnt comments take up alot of the room in the datbase? cause thers like 20000+ members here and even if only like 200 had comments ther could also be a good 150 comments for each user (doubt it) cause the thing i dont want to come out of this rating system is a server load message.

and i like that rate user button image guido. you have way too much time on your hands.

i'll check back later i have to go shovel snow :refuck:

by billywoods1 on 01-12-2004 at 10:20 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought, but bleh. I don't think the problem is server space, I think the problem is server load, and adding a line of text every minute (and that's being optimistic) won't harm it much.

Edit: I'm still not sure how this reputation system fits in with my original question (8 pages ago)... but still, I'm glad something's coming out of it. :lol:

Edit again:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:

Oh.
by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
but wouldnt comments take up alot of the room in the datbase? cause thers like 20000+ members here and even if only like 200 had comments ther could also be a good 150 comments for each user (doubt it) cause the thing i dont want to come out of this rating system is a server load message.
Not at all. It's not a server space message, it's a server LOAD message -- nothing to do :-/

In fact, talking about load, the comments system is no more server-"loader" than mybb's reputation system, as the profile display (next to each post) would be implemented kinda similarly.

And as for server space, for you to have a figure, 500 big comments (the size of this post) would take between 100 and 150kb approx.

quote:
and i like that rate user button image guido. you have way too much time on your hands.
It was easy, and unfortunately, I don't have too much time on my hands, I just use it badly :p
by WDZ on 01-13-2004 at 05:38 AM

* WDZ slaps this thread and wonders when it will end...

Guido, nice-looking examples. :P

quote:
Blah... we already have positive, neutral, and negative... let's not make this too complicated. I'm even wondering if the neutral option should exist at all. If you don't want to change a user's reputation, don't waste your time voting!

quote:
I think we've also decided that comments should be optional...
I guess that would be OK, as long as you're giving a positive or negative vote. Another doubt I'm having about these ideas is, why show the comments to everyone? In the regular MyBB system, the comments can only be viewed by the user they're about. I dunno if that's good or bad... a little of both, I suppose.

quote:
Afraid you're going to get a bad reputation? :refuck:

I might allow everyone to vote but use the "7 days after registration" limit that was suggested, but that would stop new members from voting for people who help them, and the abuse problem is still there if the abusers are patient. :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
Hmm... I really don't think you need to worry about that. :)
by Chrono on 01-13-2004 at 05:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

I guess that would be OK, as long as you're giving a positive or negative vote. Another doubt I'm having about these ideas is, why show the comments to everyone? In the regular MyBB system, the comments can only be viewed by the user they're about. I dunno if that's good or bad... a little of both, I suppose.

everyone should be able to read them :undecided:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I might allow everyone to vote but use the "7 days after registration" limit that was suggested, but that would stop new members from voting for people who help them, and the abuse problem is still there if the abusers are patient.

a "month after registration" would be better :refuck:

by bach_m on 01-13-2004 at 06:02 AM

quote:

a "month after registration" would be better

* bach_m agrees. 7 days is relatively short.

i dont think hte comments shoudl be public, since these comments are supposed to be objective, and without a bias which may be induced by the comments of others.........

people will be able to get a decent idea of what people think by the reputation anyways
by Chrono on 01-13-2004 at 06:04 AM

bach's right...
then we should only be able to see how much positive/negatives ratings does the user have

by CookieRevised on 01-13-2004 at 07:52 AM

maybe 14 days? :D

by Johnny_Mac on 01-13-2004 at 04:04 PM

I dont agree with the members comments thing and people being able to view them. Now really, why the hell would I care what people think of member #4 (:grin:)? I have my own mind...

by fluffy_lobster on 01-13-2004 at 05:11 PM

:O Wow, Johnny just made a very important point that just hit home to me:  why do we care what other people think about members anyway?  We all know what everyone's like from their posts...

by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Wow, Johnny just made a very important point that just hit home to me:  why do we care what other people think about members anyway?  We all know what everyone's like from their posts...
Yes, you. Me. Wdz. Patchou. Chrono. Not everyone:

You all seem to be forgetting the main reason to implement the reputations system: we are not in this thread just to bug WDZ or to implement a useless system just to have green or red numbers in our profiles: it's designed for members who don't know other users because they didn't spend as much time as us in the forums, for them to know who they can trust and who they can't. Sure, it's also to have another excuse to reject users who everybody hates, because a -431 reputation would support any claim :P

I don't get it... we have spent about a week discussing this and now you think we just don't need it? :rolleyes:

Also, this system was designed to replace the "elitist" post count, because instead of achieving a certain level by spamming, people would do so by being helpful or nice to the community. To be able to replace them, they must tell something more than a number. Just like post numbers don't work, a reputation number (though can be useful at first sight) says nothing about the person. He might have a high reputation because he is a good graphic designer, programs MyBB, hosts a fan site or simply because it's very helpful to the community. The only way to distinguish all that is by reading the comments.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
I still like the posts idea, but bleh. If we're gonna vote users, can we make it, say, between +3 and -3? So if a person is generally good we can vote +1, and if they're really exceptionally good in difficult circumstances we can vote +2/+3? Just an idea.
Blah... we already have positive, neutral, and negative... let's not make this too complicated. I'm even wondering if the neutral option should exist at all. If you don't want to change a user's reputation, don't waste your time voting!
You've got a point :P

quote:
quote:
I think we've also decided that comments should be optional...
I guess that would be OK, as long as you're giving a positive or negative vote.
If you check my last fake screenshot, the Neutral option is disabled when not leaving a comment.
quote:
Another doubt I'm having about these ideas is, why show the comments to everyone? In the regular MyBB system, the comments can only be viewed by the user they're about. I dunno if that's good or bad... a little of both, I suppose.
I didn't even know there were comments in that reputation system :-/

But with that point of view: why should we show reputations at all to other users then? The aim of showing the comments is for new members to know why someone is rated negatively or positively: which not only makes them sure about who to trust, but also ensures they won't behave badly unless they want to get an equally pathethic reputation.
If I'm a new user, and someone has a "-15" rating, that doesn't tell anything to me. Instead, if I read the comments, I might know WHY he has that reputation and consider it as a warning for not following the rules.

quote:
* Guido agrees, that guarantees us that the person knows the forum (and dodgy people would have to be even more patient :P)

quote:
i dont think hte comments shoudl be public, since these comments are supposed to be objective, and without a bias which may be induced by the comments of others.........
Then again, a bias may be induced by the reputation number :rolleyes:. If you will be influenced by others' opinions, you will be influenced no matter how the system is implemented.

And even then, viewing comments would make the system even more objective: let's put that into an example (I like extreme examples :refuck:)

-I HATE patchou (remember, this is an example). I just hate him, I don't know why, but I'm a user of MSNfanatic and hate him (no offence intended :tongue:). But then I check his comments, and realise how he has changed MSN programming, the virtues of Msgplus, the problems, and how he could solve them. Then I might change my opinion and vote positively, or at least not vote at all till I'm sure of what I think.

quote:
people will be able to get a decent idea of what people think by the reputation anyways
Then why the hell are we talking about comments? :rolleyes:

Numbers can't say what people think about a person. + and - mean nothing, there are so many different factors that incide... (blah, I'll shut up :P)

[edit]Cant the "too many images" warning show us how many images we posted?? It's too annoying to be guessing how many to delete =P
by Johnny_Mac on 01-13-2004 at 06:29 PM

quote:
I don't get it... we have spent about a week discussing this and now you think we just don't need it?
I never expressed my views about it until now... so cause I didnt say anything in the first place I should just go along with it? Great discussion!

And the point of discussing is to share points of view, I did and Lob happened to see a point of view, whats wrong with that? :undecided:

by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 06:47 PM

quote:
we are not in this thread just to bug WDZ or to implement a useless system just to have green or red numbers in our profiles
Whaaaaaaaaaat??? Why not? :P

I personally think Guido's neutral vote idea was quite useful. Also, you're right, it would overrule the elitist post count (although this doesn't mean it should be got rid of!), which was probably the original intention.

quote:
But with that point of view: why should we show reputations at all to other users then? The aim of showing the comments is for new members to know why someone is rated negatively or positively: which not only makes them sure about who to trust, but also ensures they won't behave badly unless they want to get an equally pathethic reputation.
Agreed. Reputations and reasons should be public, or there's no bloody point in them. :P

quote:
We all know what everyone's like from their posts...
Wrong. The person who sees the posts knows what they're like. For example, that spammer guy the other week could post now and I would be nice to him because I didn't see his posts because they were deleted. Plus a member might not post much, but when they do, they post very informatively, and not many people spot that.

Idea: how about a 'report comment' button, if the comments are added? Could just be the 'report' button at the bottom-right of the posts... but next to each comment. That way if they're abusive or something, or heavily biased because of personal conflicts, they can be reported to mods/admins.

I also like CookieRevised's idea of 14 days, a month is a bit long.(And, if I'm being pedantic, how long's a month? 28 days? 31? :P)

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Afraid you're going to get a bad reputation?
Nope. I'm afraid one person is gonna vote people unfairly, or sway their opinions, and so they should have a right to have a say. :undecided: Also, free speech? :P I mean, this could very easily turn into races - the first person to get +1 could vote others as -1, and therefore stop them from being able to post... well, you get the idea, anyway. I think everyone should have a right to an opinion.

Edit: new thing. Should the list of votes for a person's reputation show the voters' current reputations or their reputations at the time? Or both? I don't like the idea of at the time, but think about the others...
by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 07:01 PM

quote:
quote:
I don't get it... we have spent about a week discussing this and now you think we just don't need it?
I never expressed my views about it until now... so cause I didnt say anything in the first place I should just go along with it? Great discussion!

And the point of discussing is to share points of view, I did and Lob happened to see a point of view, whats wrong with that? :undecided:
You are completely right. I now realise I sounded rude ^o), it wasn't my intention. The fact that after discussing during days about how to implement reputations to help users a couple of users come and say it's not necessary put me nervous :banana:

Sorry :)

quote:
Idea: how about a 'report comment' button, if the comments are added? Could just be the 'report' button at the bottom-right of the posts... but next to each comment. That way if they're abusive or something, or heavily biased because of personal conflicts, they can be reported to mods/admins.
Yes, that should be definitely be implemented, it would dramatically help comments moderating.

quote:
I also like CookieRevised's idea of 14 days, a month is a bit long
Now that I think of it, you're right: if a new user was treated badly by someone and he wants to comment about him, he should have the right to.

quote:
Originally posted by BillyWoods1
Nope. I'm afraid one person is gonna vote people unfairly, or sway their opinions, and so they should have a right to have a say. :undecided: Also, free speech? :P I mean, this could very easily turn into races - the first person to get +1 could vote others as -1, and therefore stop them from being able to post... well, you get the idea, anyway. I think everyone should have a right to an opinion.
Well said (Y)

quote:
Edit: new thing. Should the list of votes for a person's reputation show the voters' current reputations or their reputations at the time? Or both? I don't like the idea of at the time, but think about the others...
Current one, for sure.

Otherwise
a. it would be extremely confusing to see different reputations in every post.
b. the database would have to store the reputation of the user at every post he posts.
by BooGhost on 01-13-2004 at 07:01 PM

quote:
everyone should be able to read them
YEAH :banana:
quote:
2 weeks :refuck:
quote:
it's designed for members who don't know other users because they didn't spend as much time as us in the forums
quote:
He might have a high reputation because he is a good graphic designer, programs MyBB, hosts a fan site or simply because it's very helpful to the community. The only way to distinguish all that is by reading the comments.
yeah and that's why i think the reputation MUST be always followed by a comment :P there's no point in choosing (Y) or (N) :P
quote:
Cant the "too many images" warning show us how many images we posted?? It's too annoying to be guessing how many to delete =P
never thought about that :P

by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 07:10 PM

Still don't like the certainty in your 'must be always...' statement. :P Should be optional, except for neutral (neutral vote and no comment is just bloody silly).

by BooGhost on 01-13-2004 at 08:09 PM

quote:
(neutral vote and no comment is just bloody silly).
quote:
Still don't like the certainty in your 'must be always...' statement
i really don't find any bloody (you see I'm learning :­P) sence in making a vote without making a comment :-/
by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
(you see I'm learning :­P)

Well, as I said to Guido, it would just become an excuse to vote if you give a general comment... and if you give a specific comment then I'd probably give it too. :P I'm sure I explained it better than that to him, but bleh. I have a reason anyway, I just can't put it into words. :P
by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Well, as I said to Guido, it would just become an excuse to vote if you give a general comment... and if you give a specific comment then I'd probably give it too.  I'm sure I explained it better than that to him, but bleh. I have a reason anyway, I just can't put it into words. 
What he means is that if someone doesn't want to leave a comment he would just copy another comment from another user... so it's pretty much the same to allow non-commented-votings or not...

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
i really don't find any bloody (you see I'm learning :­P) sence in making a vote without making a comment :-/
You are not lerning that much, sence is written sense :refuck: ;)

by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 08:30 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean.

(I didn't bother correcting 'sence', I thought I'd leave him happy for a bit... :P)

by CookieRevised on 01-13-2004 at 08:42 PM

as I see it:

optional comments:
con: you don't know why someone voted...
con: a bad person has to do less trouble to make a 'spam'-vote (just click the button, et voila...)

not-optional comments:
con: less votes will be given (face it, people are lazy :p)
con: more votes without meaningfull things (like: "good", "I like") <= that actually a very small negative point... I can live with that...

by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 08:48 PM

You're not thinking about what you're posting... :P

If comments are optional, you can safely assume someone didn't post one because the person is generally good at helping. If someone spams and comments are necessary, all people have to do is click the button and type 'spammer' (...et voilą... :P).

by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 09:25 PM

quote:
If comments are optional, you can safely assume someone didn't post one because the person is generally good at helping. If someone spams and comments are necessary, all people have to do is click the button and type 'spammer' (...et voilą... :P).
Still, all the cons he stated are very true (the last one not really)
by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 09:27 PM

He's still trying to make his points seem more important. :P He hasn't mentioned the advantages:

Compulsory comments:
- votes are backed up

Optional comments:
- more votes
- stops hundreds of comments all saying the same thing :P

That's all I can think of, anyway...

by CookieRevised on 01-13-2004 at 09:37 PM

True... I didn't stated them, cause I thought the pro's are very clear...
And if you reverse the con's then you have the pro's :p

by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 09:39 PM

quote:
He's still trying to make his points seem more important.
You are doing the same, all of us are doing the same :P we are trying to defend our opinions. That's why we discuss it here, to get the best out of everybody.

[Image: peace.gif]   :lol:
by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 09:43 PM

True, very true. Still, we need to get something sorted out. :s And I personally would hate compulsory commenting because it just means people would make shit up.

by CookieRevised on 01-13-2004 at 09:47 PM

And as for my opinion about optional or compulsory comments (I just stated the con's, I didn't gave an opinion)... well I realy can't decide... Both are equaly good for me... :/... But if I realy must choose a side, then I choose optional. because:
-there will be more votes given (I think) and thus the reputation rate would be higher, .... I mean the balance is bigger.... There will be more variation in levels amung the users. (If you know what I mean, can't put it very good into words)

by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 09:59 PM

Yeah, I understand, more people will vote so it'll be more fair. :P

Well, I'm (obviously) for optional myself. Anyone else's opinion?

by Chrono on 01-13-2004 at 10:03 PM

optional would be good (Y)

by Jutx on 01-13-2004 at 10:05 PM

I think that comments should be optional unless the vote is on the extreme good side or on the extreme bad side that will stop votes based on personal vendettas and "friends" votes (friends voting for friends)

by billywoods1 on 01-13-2004 at 10:13 PM

Votes affected by personal influences will just bring about bad votes to the person who did it. :P

by Guido on 02-04-2004 at 03:14 PM

*Cough*

Any news ^o)

by fluffy_lobster on 02-04-2004 at 07:48 PM

News isn't much good at the moment... we're still waiting for news announced a month ago to happen (i.e. RC1) so I doubt this will be implemented for a while :p

by Chrono on 02-04-2004 at 08:00 PM

lets wait for wdz to upgrade the forums and then we can talk about it again..
thread closed.