Shoutbox

Suggestion: sex! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggestion: sex! (/showthread.php?tid=20163)

Suggestion: sex! by slipstream3d on 01-06-2004 at 03:51 AM

Heh, subject seems a bit racy, but it's really alright i think.

I would like to be able to open the "messenger contact information" window and specify whether a particular contact is male or female, that way instead of saying "Jennifer may not reply because his or her status is set to away" it would just say "Jennifer may not reply because her status is set to away"... and so on and so forth.

There were more practical applications to this but I can't remember any right now :P

Anyway, if this is possible at all, I imagine it'd be fairly easy to implement. I'm crossing my fingers :D

Thanks again for the kickass addon, Patchou!

RE: Suggestion: sex! by lylesback2 on 01-06-2004 at 03:58 AM

1 word: privacy...

RE: Suggestion: sex! by king_of_cool_kids on 01-06-2004 at 04:01 AM

yeah, but if you have a friend, You would know if they were a boy or girl. Like custom names. YOu can set it yourself.

RE: Suggestion: sex! by slipstream3d on 01-06-2004 at 04:04 AM

Exactly, it'd be completely local. Hell, I could do the same thing with custom names already.

contact bob@bob.com custom name Bob (MALE)
contact wendy@whatever.com custom name Wendy (FEMALE)

etc.

I'm talking about local storage only, no information transmitted.

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-06-2004 at 04:06 AM

indeed, this has nothing todo with privacy... now you can write notes for each contact. This is just the same, only you tick a box male or female... Well, idea is good, but I don't think it is very practical, thus chances of implementation are nihil... unless Patchou has heaps of time and is bored :p

RE: Suggestion: sex! by king_of_cool_kids on 01-06-2004 at 04:09 AM

but it would also mean having to change MSN messengers stff, to get the wrods to change, wouldn't it??

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-06-2004 at 04:25 AM

hmmm... maybe, I dunno 'bout that... I mean, you could reshack it (it's becoming a verb now these days :p), but maybe that isn't needed. Hooking and changing the string in memory should work.

(dodgy topic-titel though :dodgy:)

RE: Suggestion: sex! by ranicx on 01-06-2004 at 04:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2

its in ppls profiles anyway :undecided: im guessing that what ever program that did this would get the info from the msn profile, so if ya dont want ppl to know, just dont have anything in there for that 1.. 8-)  anyway, hows that a privacy consern, like i walk down the street and ya can see if there male of female, its not like sumthing ya want hidden from anyone :undecided:

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-06-2004 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Well, idea is good, but I don't think it is very practical, thus chances of implementation are nihil... unless Patchou has heaps of time and is bored 
yep, and also we should update our translations... too much work if you can use the contact notes
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Anubis on 01-06-2004 at 04:59 PM

Yeah...I like the sound of this...I think a plug-in maybe able to do this...

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-06-2004 at 05:22 PM

a plugin can't do that. that can only be done by Plus! itself :)

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Anubis on 01-06-2004 at 06:23 PM

I mean a MSN Messenger Plugin...like Plus! Maybe if Will makes it Messenger Freedom!

RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by lylesback2 on 01-06-2004 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ranicx
quote:

its in ppls profiles anyway :undecided: im guessing that what ever program that did this would get the info from the msn profile, so if ya dont want ppl to know, just dont have anything in there for that 1.. 8-)  anyway, hows that a privacy consern, like i walk down the street and ya can see if there male of female, its not like sumthing ya want hidden from anyone :undecided:

umm... then check there profile or ask them... but when msgplus finds it out... i think it's a bad idea... its like a step up for perverts lol
RE: Suggestion: sex! by ind3nt on 01-07-2004 at 05:31 AM

i dont understand why youd need that ... if the person is on your contact list why would you need it to tell you their gender.. dont you kno if they're a guy or a girl already? and just check their profile if you REALLY want to kno

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-07-2004 at 06:01 AM

lylesback2, _indent, you're missing the point I think....

The purpose is to make 2 buttons in the "Contact Information" panel:
[ ] male
[ ] female

The information is added by YOU ONLY, not by Plus! or any other means... So this hasn't anything to do with privacy. It is just an addition to the "personal notes". YOU have to find out (by asking or whatever) if the contact is male or female, then you can tick the right box.

The purpose of this could be to quickly view if someone is male or female. For example, I have many people in my contactlist which I only know by nick. To be honest, I don't know the gender of some (and I don't have to know it). But once asked, I could remind myself with this. This can also be done with the "Personal Notes" but =>

Plus! can also use this information (the ticked boxes) to determine the contact's gender and can use it to alter the display of some MSN Messenger messenges like "Jennifer may not reply because his or her status is set to away" to "Jennifer may not reply because her status is set to away"...

RE: Suggestion: sex! by slipstream3d on 01-07-2004 at 05:13 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, CookieRevised!

Now, as for the profile stuff that's been mentioned, it would be interesting if the local, personal contact information could have the option of being automatically set by the contact's profile, but it shouldn't depend on it because I have many contacts that do not have profiles at all.

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-07-2004 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by slipstream3d
Now, as for the profile stuff that's been mentioned, it would be interesting if the local, personal contact information could have the option of being automatically set by the contact's profile, but it shouldn't depend on it because I have many contacts that do not have profiles at all.
Well, that's going on thin ice in privacy land :D Because then Plus! uses an external source to gather its information. Although the information is public, I can see some people having a problem with this. Anyways, I don't know if it is possible at all to get that info out off the profiles like that....
RE: Suggestion: sex! by lylesback2 on 01-07-2004 at 10:09 PM

i still think it's a waste of time... and pedafiles can click female and really be a 40 year old guy.  I think it's better not to add this.

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-07-2004 at 10:37 PM

quote:
i still think it's a waste of time... and pedafiles can click female and really be a 40 year old guy.  I think it's better not to add this.
I think you're still missing the point of this...^o) Try to reread the thread a couple of times... :S
RE: Suggestion: sex! by EvilSeph on 01-07-2004 at 10:54 PM

This request has nothing to do with privacy..it's all a matter of preference. If you are against this, then you HAVE to be against custom names and contact notes, as it is basically the same thing.

You're contacts will not see what you have labeled them as, and if they don't like it? too bad. You have a right to go around labeling things you own, whatever you want. No one can stop you. But once you invade their privacy, a whole new story begins.

In conclusion, this has nothing what-so-ever to do with privacy. But I do recommend that, if this feature IS implemented, it be allowed that only your contact may set their gender. As well it may lead to certain contraversial debates and discussions -- even though most things do anyway.

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Theo on 01-07-2004 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
This request has nothing to do with privacy..it's all a matter of preference. If you are against this, then you HAVE to be against custom names and contact notes, as it is basically the same thing.

You're contacts will not see what you have labeled them as, and if they don't like it? too bad. You have a right to go around labeling things you own, whatever you want. No one can stop you. But once you invade their privacy, a whole new story begins.

In conclusion, this has nothing what-so-ever to do with privacy. But I do recommend that, if this feature IS implemented, it be allowed that only your contact may set their gender. As well it may lead to certain contraversial debates and discussions -- even though most things do anyway.

ya x2 fo

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CodeChaos on 01-07-2004 at 11:05 PM

See attachment..

Like this??

(attachment copyright 2004 dbjdesigns)

RE: Suggestion: sex! by frog on 01-08-2004 at 05:36 AM

i like this idea.. :P...

[Image: off.jpg] djdesigns... the little male/female simbol is a good, but bad idea cause thats where the webcam image goes :P... ... but it next to the webcam image.. yea.. but not there :P

[Image: off.jpg] you lot should stop trying to get andrew (lylesback2) to understand this thread.. once his mind is set.. it's set.. you cant change it very easily.. he's stubourn :P

RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by dotNorma on 01-08-2004 at 01:54 PM

quote:
indeed, this has nothing todo with privacy... now you can write notes for each contact. This is just the same, only you tick a box male or female... Well, idea is good, but I don't think it is very practical, thus chances of implementation are nihil... unless Patchou has heaps of time and is bored :p

More like radio button if u ask me :P
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-08-2004 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
More like radio button if u ask me :P
a radio button can't be unticked and maybe you would like to unselect it, so the best would be 2 checkboxes, that way you also could select both to mean "this person is gay" :refuck:
RE: Suggestion: sex! by xsRush on 01-08-2004 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
a radio button can't be unticked and maybe you would like to unselect it, so the best would be 2 checkboxes, that way you also could select both to mean "this person is gay" :refuck:
Or it could mean it's a bot :D

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-08-2004 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xsRush
in that case you shouldn't tick any box and plus should display "... has changed its name to..." and that kind of messages (of course only in languages where there is an "it". In spanish, for example, we only have "he" and "she" :chrongue:)
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Vaitork on 01-08-2004 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CholiIn spanish, for example, we only have "he" and "she" :chrongue:)

Uhm... Does "eso" sound familiar to you? ;) Anyway it wouldn't be necesary on spanish, since we can use masculine for that matter...

Vaitork aparece como desconectado y puede que no conteste. (Masculine is default)

SomeGirl aparece como desconectada y puede que no conteste. (The only change)

Destructive Child aparece como desconectado y puede que no conteste. (No changes here so default for bots too)
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-08-2004 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vaitork
Uhm... Does "eso" sound familiar to you?
:blah!: :lol:
I meant we don't use a different form for he and it (his/its). It's the same here ;)
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Vaitork on 01-08-2004 at 03:36 PM

True ;)

I like the idea, i would like it to work like Plus! Profile: You set the gender of your contacts and your contacts set yours... In other words, you are not able to say YOU are male or female, but your contacts (i think that is what lylesback2 doesn't get)

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-08-2004 at 03:51 PM

quote:
I like the idea
the idea is good, but I don't like it very much. I should translate a lot of sentences again :P
Anyway, Patchou sure won't like the idea. He should do a lot of internal changes to Plus (I think)...
RE: Suggestion: sex! by BooGhost on 01-08-2004 at 04:35 PM

IT IS GREAT :P

really :P

RE: Suggestion: sex! by boonebytes on 01-08-2004 at 10:10 PM

Looking at the info on this, in ordr for Patchou to fix this, he'd have to hack 100% into MSN Messenger.  The message that you're trying to fix is set in the mslang.dll file, pretty hard to change on the fly IMO, unless someone else has an idea.

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-08-2004 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by boonebytes
The message that you're trying to fix is set in the mslang.dll file,
I think we are talking about the messages of Plus, not the ones of Messenger, aren't we?
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by lylesback2 on 01-08-2004 at 10:31 PM

quote:
quote:
I think you're still missing the point of this...^o) Try to reread the thread a couple of times... :S

i understand it perfectly fine, im telling you my opinion....
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by boonebytes on 01-08-2004 at 10:34 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by boonebytes
The message that you're trying to fix is set in the mslang.dll file,
I think we are talking about the messages of Plus, not the ones of Messenger, aren't we?

The Messenger Plus messages come back "Contact is now online" for example.  The one I think that this convo is about is when you open a new convo window with someone away, at the top it says "So and so may not reply because his or her status is sent to Away."
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Vaitork on 01-08-2004 at 10:36 PM

quote:

uhm... are we? :| now that i think about it.. i think boonebytes could be right.. i don't know if it's worth it if Patch has to work that much to figure out such a little thing..

on the other hand, Patchou is well know to take care even of the smaller details so... go Patch&Plus! ;)
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by boonebytes on 01-08-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
quote:

uhm... are we? :| now that i think about it.. i think boonebytes could be right.. i don't know if it's worth it if Patch has to work that much to figure out such a little thing..

on the other hand, Patchou is well know to take care even of the smaller details so... go Patch&Plus! ;)

lol  Patch&Plus!  Got to love them!  Without Plus, I would be lost!
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by slipstream3d on 01-09-2004 at 01:29 AM

quote:
i don't know if it's worth it if Patch has to work that much to figure out such a little thing..

Well, like I at least attempted to say originally, if it's a huge amount of work it may not be worth it at all... however, if it IS in a separate file that hasn't been used yet, getting this thing to work might just open a whole new can of worms :)
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by xsRush on 01-09-2004 at 05:35 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by xsRush
in that case you shouldn't tick any box and plus should display "... has changed its name to..." and that kind of messages (of course only in languages where there is an "it". In spanish, for example, we only have "he" and "she" :chrongue:)

Sorry, I was going by this picture
[Image: attachment.php?tid=20163&pid=187915].
I didn't read the whole thread, just went to the last page.
I was thinking it was like that little icon. Thought it would use the male/female icons like on the forum.

I don't care if it get's put in or not, as long as i can still use Plus! :D
RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-09-2004 at 06:50 AM

about translating:
Since the initial idea was to alter the messages on top of the convo, we only have to translate "his/hers" like this:
  MalePrefix=blahblah his blahblah
  FemalePrefix=blahblah hers blahblah
  BothPrefix=blahblah its blahblah
  Undisclosed=blahblah his/hers blahblah

The messages could be hooked, there's no need to patch/alter anything. (I think)

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Chrono on 01-09-2004 at 06:58 AM

though it would be a mess cause in the spanish translation we dont use these prefixes.. :undecided:

yes, i managed to do so :lol:

RE: Suggestion: sex! by CookieRevised on 01-09-2004 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
though it would be a mess cause in the spanish translation we dont use these prefixes.. :undecided:
But you could translate the whole sentences into those keys, no?
  MalePrefix=Vaitork aparece como desconectado y puede que no conteste.
  FemalePrefix=SomeGirl aparece como desconectada y puede que no conteste.
  BothPrefix=Destructive Child aparece como desconectado y puede que no conteste.
  Undisclosed=<standard message>

---OFF TOPIC---
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
yes, i managed to do so :lol:
[Image: msn_cry.old.gif]
* CookieRevised slaps Chrono
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by Vaitork on 01-09-2004 at 03:10 PM

Or just send it all to hell and change it like this:

Vaitork aparece como desconectad@ y puede que no conteste
Somegirl aparece como desconectad@ y puede que no conteste

Done :lol:

I know... Damn lame...

RE: Suggestion: sex! by Choli on 01-09-2004 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Vaitork aparece como desconectad@ y puede que no conteste
Somegirl aparece como desconectad@ y puede que no conteste

:blah!: that may be good for spanish but not for other languages (like frech, that adds an "e" to form the female gendre)
Anyway, I don't like that idea. It's crappy and dodgy :dodgy::-/
Es poco profesional, teniendo en cuenta que la traduccion a espaņol espaņa se caracteriza por su profesionalidad (:$) y por su lenguaje formal y bien escrito
RE: Suggestion: sex! by BooGhost on 01-12-2004 at 05:05 PM

quote:
that adds an "e"
not always.....

actually this options isn't as smle as before, coz of all the languages :P
RE: RE: Suggestion: sex! by Guido on 01-12-2004 at 06:03 PM

quote:
quote:
Well, idea is good, but I don't think it is very practical, thus chances of implementation are nihil... unless Patchou has heaps of time and is bored 
yep, and also we should update our translations... too much work if you can use the contact notes

Good idea, we could use the sex icons in the contact info panel and in the contact manager (we should be able to sort by sex too). And translations that have the old translation-style for those strings would don't use the sex, those that use the new one would.
RE: Suggestion: sex! by Vantage on 01-16-2004 at 09:17 PM

I agree with bach_m Privacy :P :banana: :lol: :refuck:
:dodgy: