Shoutbox

mybb: unread/new posts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: mybb: unread/new posts (/showthread.php?tid=20309)

mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-09-2004 at 10:00 PM

Ok, since we're reporting bugs like never before...
How about this one:

There something really fishy going on lately (with the cookies)...

I use "View Latest Posts" all the time, but lately the "unreaded posts in thread" mark (blue arrow) isn't always showing. Sometimes it is, next when I refresh the page, it is gone (I didn't go to the thread yet)....

Or when I did go to a thread with a new post, and I do a refresh on the "view latest posts" the blue arrow is correctly replaced by a grey one, but the thread beneath it gots a blue arrow (while there are no new posts there)

Also, on the main forum page, sometimes there are blue arrows indicating new posts in those forums, when I visit those forums, there isn't any indication of a new post... Only when I click "mark all forums read" the blue arrow will change to grey....

In this manner I'm missing many new posts. I did try everything I can think of with the cache and cookies of my browser (deleting it, refreshing it, disabling it, whatever... I also have this problem on both MSIE as in Netscape)

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-09-2004 at 10:04 PM

i think i have a similar problem. i'mr reading in Firebird, so i open up all the new posts that interest me in a new tab each. However, once i'm done reading and return to the latest posts page, and refresh, some of them are still marked blue!

:dodgy: script

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by Choli on 01-09-2004 at 10:04 PM

do you mean this images: [Image: newfolder.gif], etc...? I don0t look too much at them because they're :dodgy: and, as you described, sometimes don't work well :p

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm missing many new posts
see the last post time. that's what I do.
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-09-2004 at 10:10 PM

but there was a time when it actaully worked very well..... i wonder what happened?!

hopefully fixed with the RC1 update

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by Choli on 01-09-2004 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
i think i have a similar problem. i'mr reading in Firebird, so i open up all the new posts that interest me in a new tab each. However, once i'm done reading and return to the latest posts page, and refresh, some of them are still marked blue!

same here with avant (also a browser with tabs)
quote:
but there was a time when it actaully worked very well..... i wonder what happened?!

yes :-/
quote:
:rolleyes:
* Choli looks at WDZ :P lazy admin ;)
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by musicalmidget on 01-09-2004 at 10:54 PM

quote:

Sadly not, well not on my copy of RC1 anyways... :dodgy:

It's porbably fixed in RC2 though... :P

Edit:  By the way, I'm referring to the "new posts" and "no new posts" forum icons on the index page. :tongue:
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-09-2004 at 11:01 PM

It could be easly fixed IMO (but what do I know about php....er nothing)... whenever you click a link to a thread, to cookie is updated with the date, time and 'name' of that thread....

Then on the "last posts" pages, just check those cookies....

(this is very simple said, I know it's a bit more complicated to make it work... But still...)

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by Choli on 01-09-2004 at 11:06 PM

that won't work if you use several PCs, like me.

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-09-2004 at 11:14 PM

me too. its stored in the DB, like almost everything else..

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 02:05 AM

according to the help pages... it's stored in cookies

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by surfichris on 01-10-2004 at 02:44 AM

quote:
according to the help pages... it's stored in cookies
And that it is..
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-10-2004 at 07:04 AM

Yeah, the data is stored using cookies, and there are limits on how many cookies a site can set, and how much data can be stored in them, so it's not possible to make this system work perfectly.

quote:
Ok, since we're reporting bugs like never before...
Don't waste all that bug reporting energy now, because when I really want bug reports is after I upgrade... I'll fix even the smallest things then, like spelling/grammar errors, to get the forums near perfect (if possible :P).

quote:
Also, on the main forum page, sometimes there are blue arrows indicating new posts in those forums, when I visit those forums, there isn't any indication of a new post... Only when I click "mark all forums read" the blue arrow will change to grey....
As I've said in the past, those icons are not based on posts. It would be too server-intensive to check for new posts in each forum when displaying the index. They simply indicate if there were new posts in that forum since your last visit.

quote:
However, once i'm done reading and return to the latest posts page, and refresh, some of them are still marked blue!
How many threads are you opening? The cookie is only capable of remembering the latest threads that you loaded. Maybe there were replies to those threads since you loaded them?

quote:
That's strange, because nothing changed, unless some other dodgy admin did it. I'll do some testing later to see how it works for me.

quote:
It could be easly fixed IMO (but what do I know about php....er nothing)... whenever you click a link to a thread, to cookie is updated with the date, time and 'name' of that thread....

Then on the "last posts" pages, just check those cookies....
That's how it currently works. :P However, as explained above, there are limitations to that system.

Damn, my space bar is messed up... I must have broken it when I hit the keyboard yesterday... :-/
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-10-2004 at 07:30 AM

Update: I did a bit of testing, and the system seems to work normally. If this problem continues for you, and there's no explanation, I'll make a debug script that will load and process your threadread cookie to see if there's anything wrong with it.

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by Choli on 01-10-2004 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'll fix even the smallest things then, like spelling/grammar errors, to get the forums near perfect (if possible :P).
:dodgy:.... (lazy) wdz saying he's going to work harder than ever... :blah!:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Damn, my space bar is messed up... I must have broken it when I hit the keyboard yesterday...
:lol:   :pound:
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
How many threads are you opening? The cookie is only capable of remembering the latest threads that you loaded. Maybe there were replies to those threads since you loaded them?

Yeah, found that out the hard way a while ago :-) I can live with it...

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Update: I did a bit of testing, and the system seems to work normally. If this problem continues for you, and there's no explanation, I'll make a debug script that will load and process your threadread cookie to see if there's anything wrong with it.
It still happens, can't explain.... but oh well, for the time being, I live with the occasional "bug" (if it is one)... I'll wait for the update to complain more again ;)
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-10-2004 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

well, sometimes 20... but not often.

and there arn't any new threads posts, since ones i've read, but not replied to, are marked as read, and are above the ones marked unread (which i have read)
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 09:44 PM

:@ :@ :@ , ok WDZ I'm complaing again....
the bug kicked in again....
I had 20 unread posts (could be more though), did a refresh... BAM.... only 9 unread posts anymore....

To give an example: before refresh the thread "Easter Eggs" was marked as unread (as it was a new thread). I did a refresh.... it is marked as read, while I never openend that thread....

It seems that this is what happend:
* +20 unread posts in "View Latest Posts"
* I open 1 thread ("PIP is back") and reply to it... (this thread was somewhere in the middle of all the other unread ones)
* I close the thread
* I do a refresh on the "View Latest Posts"
* Only 9 threads show up as unread....
* The cookie seems to be reset to the time/date I posted my last message. But this certainly doesn't mean I read the (unread) threads before this time/date......
(this also means you can't use that time/date as a reference to look for threads you haven't read. This means I have to open +20 threads to see by myself if there is a new message)

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-10-2004 at 09:49 PM

my bug just happened again, and i only had 4 tabs open :dodgy:

and i didn't do a reply! :dodgy:

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-10-2004 at 10:11 PM

*sigh*

Another delay for the RC1 upgrade...

* WDZ starts work on the cookie debug script...

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-10-2004 at 11:19 PM

OK, everyone who's having the problem go to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/cdebug.php a few times while you're browsing the forums. It will "examine" your cookie to see if anything's wrong, and store some debug info in a log for me to check.

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-10-2004 at 11:54 PM

* did it before the "refresh"....
* refreshed (again... threads where shown as read while there not)
* visited again the debug page (data seen by me wasn't changed there)
* visited again after posting this post (time has changed)

as reported in previous post... the status seems to be resetting every thread to "read" which has a post before this date/time set by the cookie (also the ones I didn't read).

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-11-2004 at 12:01 AM

Well, your threadread cookie looks perfect to me... :S

That time shown for the last viewed thread applies only to that thread... each thread has it's own time, and they don't (or shouldn't) affect each other.

Are you by any chance using the "Mark All Forums Read" script often, or doing other strange things such as logging out and logging back in?

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-11-2004 at 12:21 AM

i use the mark all forums read script when i'm done reading all the threads, but only BECAUSE of the problem

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-11-2004 at 12:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
That time shown for the last viewed thread applies only to that thread... each thread has it's own time, and they don't (or shouldn't) affect each other.
It "seems" to only happen when I've replied to a thread which had a unread post. After posting and refreshing, it seems that the unread/read script only checks this cookie for the date/time and sets all the other threads before it to "read"....

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Are you by any chance using the "Mark All Forums Read" script often, or doing other strange things such as logging out and logging back in?
Nope, I use that almost never. about logging in and out, nope, I'm always logged in.

quote:
i use the mark all forums read script when i'm done reading all the threads, but only BECAUSE of the problem
Indeed, once in a while, while I'm 500% certain I've read them all, I use it for the same reason...
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-11-2004 at 12:58 AM

quote:
It "seems" to only happen when I've replied to a thread which had a unread post. After posting and refreshing, it seems that the unread/read script only checks this cookie for the date/time and sets all the other threads before it to "read"....
OK, well, now I have a "lead" to investigate... thanks... :P

Let me know if you notice any other patterns...
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-11-2004 at 01:26 AM

is there a chance its fixed in RC1??? because if it is, theres no point in fixing it...

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-11-2004 at 01:29 AM

quote:
is there a chance its fixed in RC1??? because if it is, theres no point in fixing it...
There's a chance, but I can't test it until I actually upgrade.
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-11-2004 at 01:31 AM

so why not just do that, and then fix it afterwards....

it would get the RC1 stuff out of the way. i can live with the bug for a bit more. its just kinda an annoyance, really

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by WDZ on 01-11-2004 at 01:41 AM

quote:
so why not just do that, and then fix it afterwards....

it would get the RC1 stuff out of the way. i can live with the bug for a bit more. its just kinda an annoyance, really
Well, I doubt it will be fixed in RC1... there's no reason for it to be, really... :^)

I had a theory about the bug but based on the last few entries in my debug log, it seems that the theory is crap. :P

Another question for you: do you only have this problem on the latest posts page, or forumdisplay as well? Try opening a forum, reading some threads, then refreshing the forum to see if the icons change correctly.
RE: mybb: unread/new posts by bach_m on 01-11-2004 at 01:47 AM

i tried in F&W, and it worked, but there was just one post with an unread icon. so now isn't a good opertunity. i'll try tomorow morn when i wake up

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by CookieRevised on 01-11-2004 at 02:02 AM

I'll do that also... but if I remember right, I had it also in the forumdisplays.. (not certain though)...

But another "lead"... (this is getting more difficult to explain, I hope you understand):

* Lets say I have 10 unread threads showing.
* I pick number 5 and read it... then I decide to reply... I close that browsertab...
- (if I would refresh the "latest posts" now, the bug would kick in)
* Without refreshing, I decide to read number 12 again (already read it before)... afterwards I close this browsertab...
* Now I do a refresh on the "latest posts"
* Now it seems that the bug isn't showing up: I got the 9 unread threads showing which I expected to show.....

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by Test_User on 01-11-2004 at 04:44 AM

It just keeps getting stranger... :P

I tried to recreate the bug using IE, but the icons worked as I expected... :^)

RE: mybb: unread/new posts by dotNorma on 01-11-2004 at 05:13 AM

I get that same bug all the time! WDZ needs to log out of test_user :P