Shoutbox

This post was edited... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: This post was edited... (/showthread.php?tid=20424)

This post was edited... by Beno on 01-12-2004 at 10:12 PM

I personally hate where the "last edited" tag goes...it goes right under the persons text.  Can't it be right at the bottom?

<i.e. here>
[Image: profile.gif][Image: email.gif][Image: pm.gif][Image: www.gif][Image: find.gif]             [Image: edit.gif][Image: quote.gif][Image: qquote.gif][Image: report.gif]

RE: This post was edited... by bach_m on 01-12-2004 at 10:15 PM

* bach_m laughs at the edit message :P

i think its fine where it is. but if DZ wants to change it...

:dodgy: kid arives today and demands changes :dodgy:

RE: This post was edited... by WDZ on 01-12-2004 at 10:23 PM

That would still look crappy...

[Image: example.png]

(N)

RE: This post was edited... by Beno on 01-12-2004 at 10:24 PM

Well, At the bottom but above the line (Y)

But you don't need to do anything if you don't want.
It's just my oppinion.

(I'm making a messenger skin and should hopefully be out soon.)

RE: This post was edited... by Beno on 01-12-2004 at 10:28 PM

Oh, One other thing.
Do you think you'll allow <hr> tags?
It would be good for some people to have breaks in their posts. Just a thought.

RE: This post was edited... by bach_m on 01-12-2004 at 10:30 PM

you can! use the [­hr] tag. and read the help section!!!! its usefu

edit:

* bach_m realizes its undocumented :refuck:l

RE: This post was edited... by lizard.boy on 01-12-2004 at 11:11 PM

dodgy undocumented thing

:rolleyes: WDZ?

i think the edited thinger looks fine there even though in some forums they put the text under the sig

i dont lke the picky mods now i have to include an honest answer in my posts

RE: This post was edited... by dotNorma on 01-12-2004 at 11:39 PM

or where it says when it was posted "Today 04:11 PM ", just add a Edited when infront when ever the user edits it :-\

RE: This post was edited... by CookieRevised on 01-12-2004 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
or where it says when it was posted "Today 04:11 PM ", just add a Edited when infront when ever the user edits it :-\
No, cause you will loose the original posting date/time.
And the line is too long anyway. (also, the editors name must be included, as mods can edit every post)
RE: This post was edited... by Beno on 01-13-2004 at 12:15 AM

Or it just says Edited Today 07:48 PM by Username underneath the "Today 07:48 PM"

RE: This post was edited... by Chrono on 01-13-2004 at 12:17 AM

it would screw up the forum's layuout :P

RE: This post was edited... by bach_m on 01-13-2004 at 12:18 AM

howabout on the other side f the box, but on the smae line as the IP Adress: Logged???

RE: This post was edited... by Beno on 01-13-2004 at 12:22 AM

Yeah, That would look good, someone make a screenshot ^o).

RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 12:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
you can! use the [­hr] tag. and read the help section!!!! its usefu

edit:

* bach_m realizes its undocumented :refuck:l

I didn't know it existed :|

* Guido wants multiple-edits lists...

quote:
Edited on 22-12-04 22:22 by WDZ
Edited on 21-12-04 22:22 by Guido
Edited on 20-12-04 22:22 by Jehuty
Edited on 19-12-04 22:22 by Guido
Edited on 18-12-04 22:22 by Chrommmmmmo
Edited on 17-12-04 22:22 by WDZ
Edited on 16-12-04 22:22 by Guido
Total: 7 edits
in a cute <div> tooltip when mouse-overing the last edited line (Y)

[edit]maybe that would make the size of the html file much higher :-/
RE: This post was edited... by lizard.boy on 01-13-2004 at 01:08 AM

i thin ki know what guido means kinda. no. but you know hoe if you do html

<a title="this is what you see when you mouse over this text">Hover for edit info</a>

and put that warever

RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 01:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i thin ki know what guido means kinda. no. but you know hoe if you do html

<a title="this is what you see when you mouse over this text">Hover for edit info</a>

and put that warever
Not exactly, because you would only see that if you leave the mouse over the link for a long time. I meant div tooltips, like many sites use for advertising. basically the same, but can be customized and show instantly. Also, they are harder to make :P

RE: This post was edited... by lizard.boy on 01-13-2004 at 01:17 AM

yea thats the  effect i was meaning

RE: This post was edited... by king_of_cool_kids on 01-13-2004 at 03:22 AM

or have it above the reort button on the right?? under the ip logged part??

RE: This post was edited... by lizard.boy on 01-13-2004 at 03:24 AM

it could goanywhere in reality but what is wrong with the current location. most people are fine with it

RE: This post was edited... by king_of_cool_kids on 01-13-2004 at 03:36 AM

yeah. But it goes right under the message. Even a simple <p> sould be ok so that it gives it a gap.

RE: This post was edited... by WDZ on 01-13-2004 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
* Guido wants multiple-edits lists...

in a cute <div> tooltip when mouse-overing the last edited line (Y)
That would be very nice, but when you compare the amount of work involved to the overall usefulness of the feature, it's just not worth adding.

quote:
Originally posted by Beno
Or it just says Edited Today 07:48 PM by Username underneath the "Today 07:48 PM"
That string would be too long, especially when the date isn't "Today" or "Yesterday"...

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
dodgy undocumented thing

:rolleyes: WDZ?
Don't roll your eyes at me... I didn't write the help pages. :p
RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 05:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Don't roll your eyes at me... I didn't write the help pages. 
:lol:

quote:
That would be very nice, but when you compare the amount of work involved to the overall usefulness of the feature, it's just not worth adding.
:'(

Yeah, I thought about that :tongue: -- It's not THAT hard to add though :rolleyes: :P

But well, at least move the string under the IP Address line
RE: This post was edited... by WDZ on 01-13-2004 at 05:45 AM

quote:
Yeah, I thought about that :tongue: -- It's not THAT hard to add though :rolleyes: :P
It's actually harder than you might think, unless you want some buggy, unreliable, half-assed thing. :p

quote:
But well, at least move the string under the IP Address line
* WDZ thinks about it in his head and thinks it would look crappy there too. :tongue:

Almost every other forum on the web, and even some basic comment scripts, put an edited line right under the message... why should we be different? :dodgy:
RE: This post was edited... by CookieRevised on 01-13-2004 at 07:55 AM

because this is MsgPlus? Seriously... /me also thinks that putting it under the IP-thingie would be very clean and nice... It's wasted space anyway there. Take out the linebreak(s) and put it there, no?

RE: This post was edited... by Fraisie on 01-13-2004 at 03:44 PM

I think that evverything is just perfect the way they are right now :P (Y)

Edit: now I just had to edit, just for the hell of it lol

RE: This post was edited... by dom. on 01-13-2004 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It's actually harder than you might think, unless you want some buggy, unreliable, half-assed thing.
DZ have a look at this: http://insanes.co.uk/?p=pics and click on a pic..

It'd be very easy (especially for someone like you) to edit to get it perfect for this.. its a script from D'Drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail.htm) me and Guido were playing with it last night..

But i think under the ip would be the best out of everything, ive also hated the edited line, from day one..

(also, why do we have to see "IP: Logged" under every post? - if its a mod/admin thing why not make it only viewable to mods/admins? Seems pointless to me :p)
RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Almost every other forum on the web, and even some basic comment scripts, put an edited line right under the message... why should we be different? :dodgy:
Because it would look better? And because Mybb could use some help from innovations in order to become noticeable in the Forums Scripts world?

Let's "copy" good things, not everything. And if no one makes something better ever, everybody will just keep on doing everything the same way. We would still be playing Commodore 64 games...

Another disadvantage of the current edit line is that it can be faked. Yeah sure, no big deal...

quote:
(also, why do we have to see "IP: Logged" under every post? - if its a mod/admin thing why not make it only viewable to mods/admins? Seems pointless to me )
It should scare us :dodgy:, but it doesn't. I agree it should be removed (Y)

Anyway, Under the IP it would look like this:

[Image: mybb_edited_1.png]

Looks good to me :-/

And with the div popup:
[Image: mybb_edited_2.png]

ps: I know that's not the best thing to integrate into a forum system, but it would be kinda neat -- no problem if it's not done, I'm just suggesting from the GUI design point of view.

RE: This post was edited... by dom. on 01-13-2004 at 07:09 PM

quote:
It should scare us :dodgy:, but it doesn't. I agree it should be removed (Y)

Anyway, Under the IP it would look like this:

[Image: mybb_edited_1.png]

Looks good to me :-/

And with the div popup:

ps: I know that's not the best thing to integrate into a forum system, but it would be kinda neat -- no problem if it's not done, I'm just suggesting from the GUI design point of view.
best idea so far. im with that one :)
RE: This post was edited... by musicalmidget on 01-13-2004 at 07:14 PM

Actually, Guido's suggestion does look really good.  I personally would prefer something like that...

RE: This post was edited... by fluffy_lobster on 01-13-2004 at 07:23 PM

Maybe rather than an absolute-positioned thing (which as wdz is a beast to code) why not have a link that expands the complete edit list into the main page, that then collapses it when it's already expanded?

RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Maybe rather than an absolute-positioned thing (which as wdz is a beast to code) why not have a link that expands the complete edit list into the main page, that then collapses it when it's already expanded?
Yeah, that would be nice too (Y)

But it would not be a beast to code, it's not absolute-positioned over the link, it's just opened where the mouse pointer was when you clicked the lil' button, so no per-post code is needed for positioning.
RE: This post was edited... by fluffy_lobster on 01-13-2004 at 08:01 PM

Yeah that's true.  We could also just nick OverLib too :P

RE: This post was edited... by dom. on 01-13-2004 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Yeah that's true.  We could also just nick OverLib too :P
imo, overlib would be better :) the clickable one that stays..
RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dom.
imo, overlib would be better :) the clickable one that stays..
Could be...

However I like the expand/shrink edits idea more
RE: This post was edited... by fluffy_lobster on 01-13-2004 at 08:41 PM

In a way it would look more integrated to do it that way... it's a bit messy dumping boxes on top of things... see what wdz thinks

RE: This post was edited... by Beno on 01-13-2004 at 08:45 PM

I also think it would look awesome like this.

And yeah...And the code isn't "a beast" of a code at all... it's pretty simple ^o).

I think guido's idea would look quite better than what there is now. (Y)

RE: This post was edited... by lizard.boy on 01-13-2004 at 09:45 PM

i think use that overlib thing with the one that stays when you click on it but in a certain location

RE: This post was edited... by dom. on 01-13-2004 at 10:28 PM

quote:
In a way it would look more integrated to do it that way... it's a bit messy dumping boxes on top of things... see what wdz thinks
that post has now changed my mind (again), thats the best one. :)
dz?
RE: This post was edited... by WDZ on 01-13-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:
It'd be very easy (especially for someone like you) to edit to get it perfect for this.. its a script from D'Drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/thumbnail.htm) me and Guido were playing with it last night..
It's not the HTML/javascript for the popup that's the problem, it's what has to happen "behind the scenes" to make it work. I'm not adding this thing, at least not until more important things are out of the way and I'm looking for a project.

I agree that it's very cool, but I don't care. :p

As for moving the "last edit" text, go vote at http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=20464.

quote:
(also, why do we have to see "IP: Logged" under every post? - if its a mod/admin thing why not make it only viewable to mods/admins? Seems pointless to me :p)
I think it's kind of a privacy thing... just so the user knows that their IP is logged. Might also discourage some abusers, just like the stickers you put in the windows of your house/car to warn about the security system... :P
RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-13-2004 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think it's kind of a privacy thing... just so the user knows that their IP is logged. Might also discourage some abusers, just like the stickers you put in the windows of your house/car to warn about the security system... :P
Beware! Wild dog checking the IPs! :lol:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It's not the HTML/javascript for the popup that's the problem, it's what has to happen "behind the scenes" to make it work. I'm not adding this thing, at least not until more important things are out of the way and I'm looking for a project.
Why is it so complicated? Add one field more in the posts database, called "edited" or something like that, (which probably already exists) and make it have a list of all the edits like this:
quote:
Being the first column the time when the post was edited (in unix format or however mybb stores it) and the second one the user Id.

Then the first line is used when its shrinked, and the rest are shown when expanded. Not that much complications... at least not much more than what it already is.

Blah, you decide anyways :P (Y)

RE: This post was edited... by martin on 01-13-2004 at 11:40 PM

how bout puting it by the post title

RE: This post was edited... by Guido on 01-14-2004 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by martin
how bout puting it by the post title
No... (N)
RE: This post was edited... by CookieRevised on 01-14-2004 at 02:16 AM

About the listbox when you hoover over the "edited by"-line... What use is it? To see who edited the post? Well it only happens rarely that a mod/admin edits another post then his own. So for almost every post it will show the posters name... Too see the date/time when it was edited? Not much informative IMO. And that list can be pritty long if you edit your post a lot (to take out spelling mistakes, update the info, etc...) like me...

The only advantage that can give you, IMHO, is that you update some post where you have attached a link or program and you want to inform everybody when you did your updates. But this can easly be done in the post itself (and it is better anyway).

So if this is going to be voted, I'll vote no.

RE: This post was edited... by WDZ on 01-14-2004 at 04:49 AM

quote:
Add one field more in the posts database, called "edited" or something like that, (which probably already exists) and make it have a list of all the edits like this:
I said I'm not adding the feature, so just forget it. :tongue:

I already thought of that, and I don't like it.

Thread closed.

* WDZ is in a bad mood. :refuck: