Shoutbox

Learn Japanese online (woohoo) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) (/showthread.php?tid=20589)

Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by bloodymarvelous on 01-17-2004 at 03:34 PM

I'm creating a new online Japanese course at The Foreigner - Japan called Japanese 101.

This is not your usual collection of useful phrases, but I'm trying to give you a thorough understanding of the Japanese language and grammar through this course.

Each new issue of The Foreigner will feature a new lesson. I've also started work on the most extensive and easy to use overview of the Japanese grammar on the internet, which I'm hoping to upload parts of soon.

Each lesson introduces a new element of Japanese grammar, while continuing to build on the previously discussed grammar. There are also vocabulary lists and translation excersises on each lesson.

Have a look, and if you have any questions or comments, you can post them on The Forum - Japan associated with the course.

P.S.
We're still looking for sponsors for the site, so we can start to make the site pay for itself. If anyone is interested in advertising on our site, please check out our sign-up form.

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by ranicx on 01-17-2004 at 04:48 PM

nice!, v'nice.. i like it.. if i ever need to learn a bit of Japanese, which i mite this year, ill go there :) .. id just have to download the lang pack so i can view it right.. as i dont have any other lang but english installed on the comp and dont have a xpsp1 cd..

anyway, well done, keep it up!

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Patchou on 01-17-2004 at 10:38 PM

yeah, japanese! I've made a donation, I'm looking forward to see lessons axed toward comprehension of spoken japanese. If you do good lessons about this, I'm make another donation :)

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Guido on 01-17-2004 at 10:50 PM

Interesting site,
* Guido will remember it when doing business in the orient :gfdrin:

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
yeah, japanese! I've made a donation, I'm looking forward to see lessons axed toward comprehension of spoken japanese. If you do good lessons about this, I'm make another donation :)
Patchou wants to see non-dubbed animes :dodgy:

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Ice Queen on 01-18-2004 at 12:20 AM

kool i would really love to learn

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by bloodymarvelous on 01-18-2004 at 06:25 AM

Thanks for the great response :)

I've been thinking of adding soundfiles to the lessons, but the lack of server space and a cute Japanese girl to do the voices are the limiting factors :(

Patchou truly thanks for the donation :bow: I love you (l)

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Patchou wants to see non-dubbed animes
I can't say I blame him ;)
RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by martin on 01-18-2004 at 06:38 AM

me very insterested :P
well it be teachin the spoken language or writin. would be kewl if both where taught :P

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Chrono on 01-19-2004 at 05:09 AM

Cool site, i would like to learn a bit of japanese too :)

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by user2319 on 01-19-2004 at 06:32 PM

sounds interesting.. :o

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Stigmata on 01-19-2004 at 06:45 PM

sounds very very good, and when more people join, you could adapt to other languages

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by sasukekun on 01-20-2004 at 02:18 AM

cool. i need japanese lessons so i can watch anime in japanese

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by user2319 on 01-20-2004 at 08:28 AM

hmmm... when I reinstall WinXP again, I'll immediately add support for Japanese :grin:

btw, the site doesn't completely work in Opera.. that box with 'introduction' and these things, makes the text a bit annoying to read, because the text won't goas much  to the left as in IE

See the attachment.. edit: The type of file that you attached is not allowed. Please remove the attachment or choose a different type.

btw; "This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!"

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by bloodymarvelous on 01-20-2004 at 09:47 AM

PlusFan, could you send a screenshot of Opera to webmaster AT theforeigner-japan DOT com? I'm curious to see what goes wrong and how I would be able to fix that.

P.S. you don't need to reinstall WinXP to install Japanese support. you can get instructions here.

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by user2319 on 01-20-2004 at 01:41 PM

I know 'bout these instructions, but I'm getting some errors, and gonna reinstall winXP soon anyway (when I get that f..... SuSE 9.0 ISO downloaded :@ ), I'll send the picture. It isn't really a great deal, but it is a bit annoying :-/

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Pr0xY on 01-20-2004 at 10:11 PM

nice. I"ve always wanted to learn japanese, and theres a AFS Student in my school from japan, I should learn so I can bust out a good conversation in japanese, he'd be like..... wtf? since when... :P:P:P

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by martin on 01-20-2004 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
so I can bust out a good conversation in japanese, he'd be like..... wtf? since when... 
:lol: dat would be so funny
RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by bloodymarvelous on 02-07-2004 at 09:04 AM

I have decided to hold off on publishing the Japanese grammar section until it's finished. There are too many cross links to put it online section by section. This would result in many dead links. Though these dead links would be solved over time, I fear that many people would be put off when they keep ending up nowhere when clicking many of the links.

I can't say when the grammar section will go online, but I'll try to get it up as soon as possible. Preferably before the end of February 2004 (this month), but it might be later due to the sheer size of the project. (Over 70 pages.)

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Wabz on 02-07-2004 at 02:14 PM

Nice idea I wouldnt mind learning a bit of Japanese :)

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by billywoods1 on 02-07-2004 at 06:59 PM

I've never thought of learning Japanese personally, but it sounds like a good idea. It might be better if it could be adapted to other (simpler?) languages too... I had a look and it seems to go pretty quickly. :P Sounds like it could be useful though.

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by fluffy_lobster on 02-07-2004 at 08:45 PM

That site looks really comprehensive.  If and when I find the time maybe I'll give it a go :P

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by bloodymarvelous on 02-14-2004 at 01:18 PM

Well, just when you figure you're gonna make it, just when you think you're really close, it all goes to hell again.

In this case it's my own fault, I applied for a job, and actually managed to get it. Unfortunately this means I don't know when I'll be able to finish the Grammar section.

Between now and 1,5 weeks I'll be leaving for Iraq. I will stay there for at least 4 months as a liaisons officer and interpreter/translator between the Japanese and Dutch army.

I will keep working on the Grammar section when I have the time, and I will also keep webmastering for The Foreigner, but other things will have priority as you can probably understand.

If you'd like more info on what things are "really" like in Iraq, then feel free to leave a message on The Foreigner's forum.

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Anubis on 02-14-2004 at 01:57 PM

I wish it could be like the matrix "Link I need to learn Japanese…" "One crash course coming up"…or am I asking for too much? I think I am…

Japanese Grammar online by bloodymarvelous on 06-30-2004 at 08:10 AM

The long wait is finally over. I managed to put the first half of the Japanese Grammar section online. Though I say half, it already covers every aspect of the Japanese grammar. The section will later be expanded with explanations per grammatical element and Japanese particle.

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by Pyroteq on 06-30-2004 at 08:16 AM

Well i dont have that much time but im gunna give it a go anyway thanx.

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by sasquatch on 07-15-2004 at 07:50 AM

waaa, sugoi desu ne?

[Edit: since i forgot to translate: wow, great isn't it?]

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by jren207 on 07-17-2004 at 07:06 PM

It's cool, I like the way it's set out :)

RE: Learn Japanese online (woohoo) by sasquatch on 07-18-2004 at 06:40 AM

yea, if i ever need help with my japanese homework, i'm posting it on these forums, lol (y) very good job
kudos to bloodymarvelous