Shoutbox

AWESOME IDEA! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: AWESOME IDEA! (/showthread.php?tid=20849)

AWESOME IDEA! by Beno on 01-25-2004 at 07:45 PM

Hey, You can decide if it's a good idea.  It would be cool if we could make our own emoticons for our posts. Like be able to hold like 6 or something...I dunno.  I think it would be cool.  Then we don't need to use img tags going to our website ect. to use our emoticons *shrug*.

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Chrono on 01-25-2004 at 08:07 PM

err dont be lazy and use the img tags :P

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by fluffy_lobster on 01-25-2004 at 08:26 PM

* fluffy_lobster echoes what Chromo said :P

one word: server load

oh crap that's 2.

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Beno on 01-25-2004 at 10:00 PM

Before creating this poll I should have known that every, "Posting Freak", "Elite Member", "Moderator", "Super Mod", And "Administrator" would probably choose No Thanks...

But the lower class people would appreciate it. ;) lol

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by KeyStorm on 01-25-2004 at 10:11 PM

Maybe more would be OK, but not every smiley. It's a good idea, but we could be overwhelmed (is it the right word? well, sounds good :P) with smileys.

What all we lazy ppl could do is a compo with own smileys and set aup a new package with the best voted user-smileys. Well il padrino could do it ;).

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Beno on 01-25-2004 at 10:16 PM

Nah' It wouldn't get added to everyone list of smilies...The ones you add go into your list...It's just like cutom smilies for yourself...Might take up alot of room...but people do alot of attachements anyways.  I don't think it would be too bad ^o)

GOOD IDEA KeyStorm!!!

A comp'0'tition is a good idea...*pondering*

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by CookieRevised on 01-25-2004 at 10:18 PM

IMO there are emoticons enough to choose from (more then on every other board).

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by bach_m on 01-25-2004 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Beno
Before creating this poll I should have known that every, "Posting Freak", "Elite Member", "Moderator", "Super Mod", And "Administrator" would probably choose No Thanks...

why would us "upper class people" chose no thanks as opposed to the "lower class people"??? it just seems like a useless feature. have u discovered the smilie inserter??? its right above the wuickreply box, and theres the "more..." link on the regular reply page.

it just seems as if its realy redundant and doesn't provide much value.
RE: AWESOME IDEA! by lylesback2 on 01-25-2004 at 10:44 PM

host them on a web page and use [img]URL HERE[/ img]

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Beno on 01-25-2004 at 11:11 PM

I know how to get to the smilies and I know the mycodes to thanks ;).

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by WDZ on 01-26-2004 at 04:45 AM

:dodgy:

* WDZ isn't sure how you expect that to work... the most I'd do is allow you to set certain codes that would be replaced by URLs in [img] tags when you post, so you wouldn't have to type or copy/paste so much. :p

That's one of those things I might do if I'm really bored and looking for a project. Otherwise, it's not worth adding.

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Chrono on 01-26-2004 at 04:53 AM

hehe thats a a better idea...

indeed, it would be nice (Y)

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by KeyStorm on 01-26-2004 at 02:18 PM

sorry for the comment, I was just kidding.
I didn't read the replies.

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by kangie on 01-26-2004 at 02:23 PM

i dunno how to use imgtags.... :( and i can never remeber all the shortcuts to all the emoes... :^) wah................ and i dont wanna keep looking them up!
and not all pf them work on here, do they? ALSO!!! i use the quick text boxy thing, i dont wanna have to keep going into  the "post reply" page! takes too long!

(R)kangie(R)

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Wabz on 01-26-2004 at 02:33 PM

quote:

Well you didnt provide us with an option (I've been here a while and know better so definitly not)

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by Johnny_Mac on 01-26-2004 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Why even bother with the thread kid? :P
RE: AWESOME IDEA! by BooGhost on 01-26-2004 at 11:27 PM

quote:
he's kinda right :-/

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by KeyStorm on 01-27-2004 at 04:53 PM

It's natural. New users have to become used to these emoticons and veterans are already used, they don't need more.
The idea is ok, but it's too much work for admins for few users who actually would take the time to upload sth, having the 'old' ones avialable, though.

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by fluffy_lobster on 01-27-2004 at 05:40 PM

This is all beside the point... we don't want lots of emoticons.  The forums would look messy if everyone used different emoticons, even it they did look cool, because there would be no consistency :-/ it would look like a farm *cough*msnskins*cough*

The only code I think would be worthwhile but isn't now is :bananaflip: :p and i really couldn't care less about that

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by lizard.boy on 01-27-2004 at 07:02 PM

i have already coded a smile insterter along with some partners at microsoft :grin:

k heres how you do it.

right click your desktop choose new>text document
type the bbcode( [ i m g ] )
then the link to your host (http://blah.blah.com/blahdomain/blah.gif)
then the other bbcomde [( [ / i m g ] )
then press save

then when you want to insert your new custom emoticons into almost any forum you:
a- open the document
b-select then copy then paset it into the reply box

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by KeyStorm on 01-27-2004 at 07:21 PM

:lol:
Which language/protocol did you use to access the server?? :|

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by fluffy_lobster on 01-27-2004 at 07:42 PM

He (well, mostly his partners Microsoft) did it in assembly language, to handle and transfer ASCII data to a form written in HTML generated by PHP.  He then used the HTTP protocol to access the server.

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by lizard.boy on 01-27-2004 at 08:50 PM

naw the protcol is called index-fing

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by KeyStorm on 01-27-2004 at 09:23 PM

I think he has used the CtrlC/CtrlV method to insert the evil code inside the database with is an apparently simple HTTP_POST access (as fluffy lobster assumes).

But we have to consider if it is really useful, because the process needs some other methods like:
WinD, OpticSearch, mouseMove, 2xClick with a low delay (not always easy), a careful SelectDrag, CtrlC, AltTab, OpticSearch (to correctly place the target-pointer), mouseMove&Click and finally CtrlV.
(AltTab is a formal method, you can use OpticSearch -> mouseMove&Click instead)

It depends then on the third server's reliability that the (hopefully correct) image is showed (remember that some servers don't let others to 'steal' images).

This process is simple for a lot of data... but not always easy to prepare.
On older computers the WinD method doesn't even exist which would need a high number of OpticSearch -> mouseClick to locate the data source.

I personally prefer writing the URLs on post-its and stick them onto the screen :D

RE: AWESOME IDEA! by lizard.boy on 01-27-2004 at 09:26 PM

:lol: post its work too!