Shoutbox

MSN Profiles ARG! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Profiles ARG! (/showthread.php?tid=20974)

MSN Profiles ARG! by Beno on 01-29-2004 at 05:34 PM

8o|   Stupid Profiles...

This is exactilly 254 characters.
& msn lets a max of 255 in profiles...

Hard to breathe
Feels like floating
So full of love
My heart's exploding
Mouth is dry
Hands are shaking
My heart is yours for the taking
Acting weird
Not myself
Dancing around like the keebler elf
Finally time for this poor shlub
To know what it's like to be in lub

Why won't It work?!!!

(Do <BR>'s count as caracters?)

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by KeyStorm on 01-29-2004 at 05:40 PM

yes, not actually "<br>" itself but the character "\n", the 'carriage-return' surely counts as 1 char

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by Beno on 01-29-2004 at 05:43 PM

:'( That sucks.  Is there any way to get around something like that?  I want that on my Fav. Quote.  255 is a strange random number to stop it at.

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by KeyStorm on 01-29-2004 at 05:49 PM

No, it's not a strange number, it's 2^8-1. It's usual to find numbers like 32, 64, 128, 256, 612, etc in computation.
I don't think there's someway to get around this, though.

Maybe if you abbreviate some words, but I think you won't like it.

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by Choli on 01-29-2004 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
yes, not actually "<br>" itself but the character "\n", the 'carriage-return' surely counts as 1 char
and sometimes it counts as 2 bytes (line feed and return).
quote:
Originally posted by Beno
255 is a strange random number to stop it at.
255 = 2 ^ 8 - 1
not strange. very usual in informtion storage and bla bla bla....
information is stored in groups of a size that is a power of 2 (look at memories: 256 Mb, 512Mb, ....) The minus 1 is to store a "end-of-string" character (ie a null char.)

Edit_: :lol: KeyStorm :P
RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by Wabz on 01-29-2004 at 05:53 PM

A space has to be stored as some sort of Data So yes it's classed as a character

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by KeyStorm on 01-29-2004 at 05:56 PM

well mr. choli can tell you better... (a quien le importa el 'end-of-string'?) :D
j/k

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by Choli on 01-29-2004 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
well mr. choli can tell you better... (a quien le importa el 'end-of-string'?) :D
j/k
:blah!: that was only to explain the -1.. maybe it's used for other pourposes... but who cares? :gfdrin: (as you said)
RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by Patchou on 01-30-2004 at 06:41 AM

You're right, the last character is used to signal the end. However, I do agree with Beno: that's a stupid restriction. My programs are full of variables using 256, 512 or 1024 as size (which, btw, is more an old habbit than anything else.. it's completely useless with nowadays compilers) but these values shouldn't be displayed to end users. I just suggest you to complain to their customer service about it :)

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by CookieRevised on 01-30-2004 at 09:50 AM

I actually find it not stupid at all... Yes it is sometimes annoying. But when you think of the millions that uses those profiles, it seems logic to me that msn puts a limit on the textlength you can use. I would do the same I think. Also, a fixed textlength is faster to process in databases then a variable length. And afterall, that field is a "quote"-field, not a "write_a_long_poem_in_here"-field.... :D

RE: MSN Profiles ARG! by Choli on 01-30-2004 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
which, btw, is more an old habbit than anything else.. it's completely useless with nowadays compilers
yep, but however it's better to use those values to help the compiler reduce the memory fragmentation (<- huh?) I mean alignment issues :P (and yes, I know processors can acccess unaligned variables)

The other reason is Cookie's one: database preformance and the not a "write_a_long_poem_in_here"-field (:lol:­)