Shoutbox

Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors (/showthread.php?tid=21018)

Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by ZrednaZ on 01-31-2004 at 01:06 AM

I have a suggestion for the next MsgPlus release...
As referred to in the subject, I'd like to suggest a feature that would make it easier for the general public to make us translators aware of errors/typos in our translations.

Currently people have to go to www.msgplus.net, open the forum page and create a user account just report an error - that's actually very inconvenient. No wonder we never receive any feedback!

Therefor I hereby suggest an addition to the About window.
Something like this, perhaps:

"Found an error in the Danish translation? Comments/questions regarding the translation?

E-mail the translators your comments
--or--
post your comments on the Messenger Plus! Forum."

..where clicking "E-mail the translators your comments" would open a simple form that would quickly allow users to report errors and then get back to business. A click on "Messenger Plus! Forum" would, of course, take you to the MsgPlus forums. :-)

//Anders

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Kian on 01-31-2004 at 01:10 AM

I support this suggestion and highly recommend it :D

// Peter

--
Just another of those stupid danes

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by CookieRevised on 01-31-2004 at 02:07 AM

nice nice

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Patchou on 01-31-2004 at 08:08 AM

I agree that it should be easier for people to report errors and I'll have to work on something for that (some kind of special page on my site).. however, I can guiarentee you that you don't want your email to be distributed and publicly available to any user of Plus!... you will receive lots of emails from people thinking that you'cre the creator of the program, and when I say lots, I mean it :). You can probably count on your daily dose of insults related to the sponsor, tens of questions, etc...

I'll probably ask DZ or someone else at some point to make it easier... dont know how, dont know when :)

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Weyzza on 01-31-2004 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
you will receive lots of emails from people thinking that you'cre the creator of the program, and when I say lots, I mean it :). You can probably count on your daily dose of insults related to the sponsor, tens of questions, etc...

I think it doesn't matter. As the translators of Plus!, they are supposed to know how to answer the complaints.

The question is how to "share" or "distribute" (cannot find the right word...) the questions to the translators. You know, the answer may be only one, but there are many ways to solve it so the people who ask the questions don't get confused.
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Kian on 01-31-2004 at 12:07 PM

quote:

[...]however, I can guiarentee you that you don't want your email to be distributed and publicly available to any user of Plus!... you will receive lots of emails from people thinking that you'cre the creator of the program, and when I say lots, I mean it :). You can probably count on your daily dose of insults related to the sponsor, tens of questions, etc...

I'll probably ask DZ or someone else at some point to make it easier... dont know how, dont know when :)

First of all the form should not show the eMails - onely a subject and a textbox...
But I can see the problem but I think it has to be solved. Anyway I was just at the danish usenet about im-programs and Plus! is a topic. I started a thread where people were able to complain but no-one actullay complained a lot - a little about the sponsorprogram :D

Second of all - why is it impossible to use Flash-files as avatar ?
I have picture of my tooth spinning which I really would like to apply

// Peter

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Choli on 01-31-2004 at 01:34 PM

it'd be nice, however i see the problem Patchou said: too much people sendig us emails. Maybe the best would be a page in msgplus.net or here or somehwere, where users can submit (without registering) their opinions/suggestions/bugs about the translations and we, translators, will be notified when there are new comments. Then we go there and can mark them read, and/or leave a note to other translators (of the same language)

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Kian on 01-31-2004 at 01:37 PM

that would be lovely :D - I propose some of you do that :D

// Kian

--

"Just another of those stupid Danes"
- Kian

RE: RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by ZrednaZ on 01-31-2004 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
it'd be nice, however i see the problem Patchou said: too much people sendig us emails. Maybe the best would be a page in msgplus.net or here or somehwere, where users can submit (without registering) their opinions/suggestions/bugs about the translations and we, translators, will be notified when there are new comments. Then we go there and can mark them read, and/or leave a note to other translators (of the same language)

That's actually a really good idea. As long as we keep in mind that users should be able to submit comments with only a few mouse clicks.

/ZrednaZ
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Kian on 01-31-2004 at 02:22 PM

I support this suggestion and highly recommend it (again)

// Kian

--

"Just another of those stupid Danes"
- Kian

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by WDZ on 02-01-2004 at 07:19 AM

quote:
I can guiarentee you that you don't want your email to be distributed and publicly available to any user of Plus!... you will receive lots of emails from people thinking that you'cre the creator of the program, and when I say lots, I mean it :). You can probably count on your daily dose of insults related to the sponsor, tens of questions, etc...
:lol: Yeah...

quote:
:dodgy: I suppose I could make something, but I'd want to host it here in case I need to work on it. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Kian
First of all the form should not show the eMails - onely a subject and a textbox...
Yeah... the user could just direct their comments to a certain language, then a PHP script or something would handle the mailing...

quote:
Originally posted by Kian
Second of all - why is it impossible to use Flash-files as avatar ?
I don't like them... you have to load a plugin to show them, and they could be really large in size, or have dodgy scripts included... :dodgy:

quote:
Maybe the best would be a page in msgplus.net or here or somehwere, where users can submit (without registering) their opinions/suggestions/bugs about the translations and we, translators, will be notified when there are new comments. Then we go there and can mark them read, and/or leave a note to other translators (of the same language)
That's getting pretty complex, and it might make more sense to just use the forum... maybe guest posting should be allowed in the Translation forum, but I haven't done much testing of that, and I think it's buggy... :^)
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Choli on 02-01-2004 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
maybe guest posting should be allowed in the Translation forum
I though about that but didn't suggest it because in that case, the Translation forum may became in a everyone-can-post-here-askig-for-help and spammy forum.
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Kian on 02-01-2004 at 05:25 PM

but we need some kind of coomunications between the users and the translators... it is silly that Patchou should administrate all that worldwide if it is possible to point the mail directly to the translators...

I still propose a form-window in the Plus! > About Plus! - like a button and then a new form appears where comments etc can be written - submitted to the server which redirect the traffic to the corresponding translatorteam

// Kian

--
This letter was written with a golf-glove on my left hand

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by sock on 02-02-2004 at 02:49 AM

That button could also be included in the Language section of the Preferences Panel....

Anyway, sounds like a nice idea. Good luck implementing it. :refuck: :p

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by WDZ on 02-02-2004 at 04:00 AM

quote:
I though about that but didn't suggest it because in that case, the Translation forum may became in a everyone-can-post-here-askig-for-help and spammy forum.
Oh... you're right... didn't think about that... :-/
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by leito on 02-02-2004 at 05:03 AM

I think it would be better, to store messages, in a DB, and at the end of the day, send an email to the translators. That way, it would reduce the amount of mails to one.

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by WDZ on 02-02-2004 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
I think it would be better, to store messages, in a DB, and at the end of the day, send an email to the translators. That way, it would reduce the amount of mails to one.
Great idea. (Y) All the day's messages (if any) for each language could be combined into one mail... that would take care of the spamming problem.

If I make a translator notification script, I think that's how it's going to work.
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by WDZ on 04-22-2004 at 05:03 AM

Well, if anyone still cares, I'm probably not going to complete this project. I've been kinda discouraged... first there was this shoutbox conversation...

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=230151

(Summary of problems: 1. Some translators would not want to participate, thus making the notification system incomplete. 2. Regular users might have trouble finding and using the script.)

Then I read some references to MenthiX's translator database thing... I figure if he already has a site with all the translator data, it makes much more sense for him to make the translator notification script, and integrate it into his existing system. :-/

RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by Menthix on 04-22-2004 at 05:21 AM

I don' think i should be snding emails, people don't like being mailed that much. It could be an option to get a mail when somebody submits smething and set that off for default for all translators. But what i like better is that they se the whole list of submitted error when thy get translating again just before the rlease of a new version.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I figure if he already has a site with all the translator data, it makes much more sense for him to make the translator notification script, and integrate it into his existing system.
True i think, i could make something that allows translators to login with their own details etc.

As i said in another thread, i will make a list of things i could/want to change to the translation DB, then i put that on the forum here and we can discuss such things. There won't be any changes made to the system before the release of v3.00 though.
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors by jpg050 on 05-01-2004 at 11:34 AM

Just a link on the languge section of the preferences panel that takes users to a web (or not web) form that stores complaints in a database. The translator accesses a web page that shows all complaints and resolves/answers/deletes them... no need to give our emails to users...