Shoutbox

Attachments - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Attachments (/showthread.php?tid=21089)

Attachments by Wabz on 02-03-2004 at 02:31 PM

WDZ would it be possible to make attachments pop up in a new browser window .

It's pretty annoying looking at attached .txt files and .jpg files and then pressing back to comment on them Especially when taking a second look :)

RE: Attachments by reisyboy on 02-03-2004 at 03:12 PM

would be nice and also very large jpegs i.e desktops could be autp scaled lol :) Hint Hint DZ :)

I can see ur point Wabz id like it (Y)

RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-03-2004 at 04:25 PM

Shift+Click will calm down your disgusted souls :) ;)

RE: Attachments by fluffy_lobster on 02-03-2004 at 05:50 PM

Yeah but that's inconvenient.  What annoys me more is when I forget, and both normal click the attachment link and then close the window to get back to the thread, then to realise that the thread was on the back button.

RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-03-2004 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
What annoys me more is when I forget

Same happened to me until i got really used to it. :S

RE: Attachments by lizard.boy on 02-03-2004 at 06:21 PM

it would be a good idea that bugs me too when i dont middle click (firebird) an attachment and my brain closes the window cause i really mean to close the tab

RE: Attachments by Wabz on 02-03-2004 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Yeah but that's inconvenient.  What annoys me more is when I forget, and both normal click the attachment link and then close the window to get back to the thread, then to realise that the thread was on the back button.

Exactly if it pops onto another page we dont lose our thoughts :)

RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-03-2004 at 06:24 PM

yeah, yeah, whatever... :dodgy: (lazy people...)

RE: Attachments by The Napster on 02-03-2004 at 06:43 PM

would be useful... but not nessesary, at least i dont really care

RE: Attachments by Johnny_Mac on 02-03-2004 at 06:47 PM

I'm with abz and fluffy, i do it all the time. :undecided:

RE: Attachments by dom. on 02-03-2004 at 11:07 PM

happends to me all the time too

RE: Attachments by WDZ on 02-04-2004 at 05:25 AM

quote:
What annoys me more is when I forget, and both normal click the attachment link and then close the window to get back to the thread, then to realise that the thread was on the back button.
:rofl: I do that sometimes, then I'm like :wall:. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
WDZ would it be possible to make attachments pop up in a new browser window .
Of course.

However, in some cases, I think opening another window just isn't necessary, especially when it's a page on the same site. That annoys me when sites have all their stuff popping up in new windows, so I like to give users a choice.

Since everyone who replied wants it changed, I'll change it. :p
RE: Attachments by Guido on 02-04-2004 at 03:05 PM

I don't care, I always use middle click :banana:

But it could be a good idea (Y) (anyway, links open in _blank by default, why not attachments)

quote:
However, in some cases, I think opening another window just isn't necessary, especially when it's a page on the same site. That annoys me when sites have all their stuff popping up in new windows, so I like to give users a choice.
How can an attachment be a page on the same site? Only situation it would not be necessary is when the attachment is not an image but an executable or a downloadable file.
RE: Attachments by Choli on 02-04-2004 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
I don't care, I always use middle click
Avant!! :banana:
quote:
Originally posted by GuidoHow can an attachment be a page on the same site? Only situation it would not be necessary is when the attachment is not an image but an executable or a downloadable file.
in that case it should open in the same page. WDZ should make the script distinguish both cases (zip, rar, exe, ... -> the same page; gif, bmp, png, jpg, doc, txt, html, ... -> _blank)
RE: Attachments by Johnny_Mac on 02-04-2004 at 03:28 PM

Making unecessary work. :rolleyes:

It works as it is now, can't we leave it at that?

RE: Attachments by WDZ on 02-05-2004 at 03:27 AM

quote:
But it could be a good idea (Y) (anyway, links open in _blank by default, why not attachments)
Links posted with [url] are usually to external sites.

quote:
How can an attachment be a page on the same site?
It's part of the post. :S

quote:
Only situation it would not be necessary is when the attachment is not an image but an executable or a downloadable file.
Yeah, guess so... :p

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
in that case it should open in the same page. WDZ should make the script distinguish both cases (zip, rar, exe, ... -> the same page; gif, bmp, png, jpg, doc, txt, html, ... -> _blank)
Hmm... I might do that someday... it'll be on my projects list. :p
RE: Attachments by Wabz on 02-05-2004 at 03:31 PM

Has it been modified then :angel: :P

RE: Attachments by CookieRevised on 02-06-2004 at 07:10 PM

quote:
doc? .DOC's don't open inline in a browser by default, unless you have a plugin or something...

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Same happened to me until i got really used to it. :S
Exactly...
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Exactly if it pops onto another page we dont lose our thoughts :)
I'm sorry to go against the flow here, but this kind of things are what making us lazy/brainless people... Sure, it happens to me too, but I don't want this to change...

Another big drawback: when you choose to download (save it) something, you'll open a new browser window/tab which will be empty. I find this very annoying as you have to close all those empty windows afterwards...

Let the brain work a bit.  And besides, most browsers have the ability to open a link in a new window/tab by a single mouse-click, why don't you use it........
RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-07-2004 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Another big drawback: when you choose to download (save it) something, you'll open a new browser window/tab which will be empty.

I don't agree with that. Although I haven't tried in here I build websites. When you open a link that points to a non-viewable on a new window, the window disappears and the download dialog box appears (I'm talking about IE).

And well, I agree not to add this, because then, there will be people that can't manage such amount of open windows at once or who like more to press 'Back' than to close the new window.

Suggestion: do two links that point to _self and to _blank :deal:

Anyway, don't be so lazy!! :refuck:
RE: Attachments by Choli on 02-07-2004 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Suggestion: do two links that point to _self and to _blank
that doesn't make sense and people will get confused. In the case of having 2 links, it'd be better have an option in the usercp to select whether the link should be opened in _self or in _blank
RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-07-2004 at 02:56 PM

Would you understand this?

[*Name of the attachment] [Image: attachment.php?tid=21089&pid=198724]

RE: Attachments by Choli on 02-07-2004 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Would you understand this?

[link to the attachment] [Image: attachment.php?tid=21089&pid=198724]
and where you put [link to the attachment] there would be the name of the file, wouldn't it? well, in that case it could be a possible solution
quote:
*coughserverloadcough*
*cough*:spam:*cough*this is not t&t*cough*
RE: RE: Attachments by Guido on 02-07-2004 at 08:07 PM

quote:
quote:
doc? .DOC's don't open inline in a browser by default, unless you have a plugin or something...
Yes -- a plugin called... Microsoft Word :refuck:

quote:
Another big drawback: when you choose to download (save it) something, you'll open a new browser window/tab which will be empty. I find this very annoying as you have to close all those empty windows afterwards...
As said above, at least IE closes the new window if it has no content.

quote:
*coughserverloadcough*
Nothing to do with server load :rolleyes:
RE: Attachments by fluffy_lobster on 02-07-2004 at 08:35 PM

*sigh* i was referring to choli's suggestion that there be an option in the user cp.  It seems a bit unnecessary to add all that into the database just for the sake of choosing.

I say just make it launch in _blank like the rest of the links in postbit.

Or maybe have it open a page with the mybb template with an iframe in the middle that has the url of the relevant attachment.php?  That way it would show images/text on the page and pop up other miscellaneous downloads, and you wouldn't forget your were in mybb.  Just thought of that... just an idea ^o)

I prefer _blank though

RE: Attachments by Guido on 02-08-2004 at 12:25 AM

quote:
*sigh* i was referring to choli's suggestion that there be an option in the user cp.
Sorry :$

(btw was it deleted?)

quote:
I prefer _blank though
Same here (Y)

RE: RE: RE: Attachments by CookieRevised on 02-08-2004 at 01:09 AM

quote:
Yes -- a plugin called... Microsoft Word :refuck:
Sorry, no... not all browsers are configured to do that... it is optional/to-be-set-up.
quote:
...at least IE closes the new window if it has no content.
Again, not everybody uses IE...

If such things "have" to change then consider EVERY browser. I'm sorry, but this is what makes bad homepages etc; assuming everybody uses the same software... while instead you should make it "compatible" for every software (or as much as you can), don't make it look nice for some particular browser....
(^^ not meant personaly Guido ;))

And all this, just because we are too lazy to use the (right-click,middle-click, whatever) feature of our browser called "open link in a new window"????? 8-)
RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-08-2004 at 01:43 AM

quote:
Microsoft's Internet Explorer global usage share is 94.8 percent according to OneStat.com

Read more -->

:refuck:

PS: MSIE isn't the best navigator, but it's the most supported: an overall standard
* KeyStorm is recalling VHS vs Beta :rolleyes: :blah:

Edit:
* KeyStorm was an embryo when VHS and Beta fought for standarization :grin:
RE: Attachments by CookieRevised on 02-08-2004 at 01:55 AM

:dodgy:
1) I bet someone would come up with those figures
2) "overall" standard?
3) we're not talking about HTML implementation, but about the userinterface of browsers.
4) put a big nice page on the first page of the forums: "made for MSIE".... :@
5) I'm saying: make something for a as much wide userbase as you can. eg: Patchou could decide to make plus! only work on XP... if you make something for the big public, then consider all the different sofware uses...
6) Don't let this evolve into "which browser is the best"...
7) this is going off-topic
8) The main thing is: Dont' be lazy and right-click/middle-click before you choose to "view" an attachment; That's the way normal links work in general; In this case the saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" comes in my mind...

RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-08-2004 at 02:05 AM

1) I'm the one (H)
2) I meant the "most accepted as" (sorry for my English)
3) I agree
4) oh, come on... I didn't mean that
5) I'm talking about the most used. I don't know if others behave in that way,.I'm talking about my own experience with MSIE and the experience of the 95% of users
6) noway!
7) rrrright :grin:
8) YES, that's what I'm saying (read some posts above), but I suggested a friendly solution for everyone

RE: Attachments by Guido on 02-08-2004 at 03:29 AM

Blah, CookieRevised, cookies are supported by IE as well, don't make it personal ;)

quote:
...at least IE closes the new window if it has no content.

Again, not everybody uses IE...
If you're going against IE, at least only do it where other browsers are better (i.e.: almost everything else). But if 1~10% of the visitors have a browser with a feature that is inferior to the rest (in this case, other browsers leave an empty window when downloading in a new page) I don't think that's big of an issue.

So, back to the topic. :P

Options:
a) leave it as it is.
b) make everything open in _blank.

I vote for B.

RE: Attachments by Choli on 02-08-2004 at 12:37 PM

blah, too much things to reply, so I'll stay on topic :P

About the attachments, the best would be they open in the same or new window acording to their type (as I said before). Meanwhile, I also vote for a new window.

RE: Attachments by CookieRevised on 02-08-2004 at 02:27 PM

I don't have anything against IE, and it was certainly not meant personaly...

Options:
a) leave it as it is.
b) make everything open in _blank.
c) open in the same or new window according to their type. (gif, bmp, png, jpg, doc, txt, html, xml, php, asp -> new window)

my choice: A (for reasons given in previous posts)

RE: Attachments by fluffy_lobster on 02-08-2004 at 06:21 PM

quote:
c) open in the same or new window according to their type. (gif, bmp, png, jpg, doc, txt, html, xml, php, asp -> new window)

It's actually a lot simpler than that: if the mime type is application/ then it needs to be opened in _blank, if it's text/ or image/ then it can stay in this window.

RE: Attachments by KeyStorm on 02-08-2004 at 06:30 PM

[...]
d) Multiple choice [Image: attachment.php?tid=21089&pid=198724] :grin:

RE: RE: Attachments by CookieRevised on 02-08-2004 at 10:15 PM

quote:
quote:

It's actually a lot simpler than that: if the mime type is application/ then it needs to be opened in _blank, if it's text/ or image/ then it can stay in this window.
didn't think of that... but errr....a remark: Shouldn't it be the otherway around? If it is an 'application' you can leave it in the window cause that will trigger the download window in all browsers. And if it is 'image' or 'text' (or something else like .asp, .html ?) it should open in a new window because that will overwrite the current page...
RE: Attachments by fluffy_lobster on 02-08-2004 at 10:41 PM

quote:
didn't think of that... but errr....a remark: Shouldn't it be the otherway around? If it is an 'application' you can leave it in the window cause that will trigger the download window in all browsers. And if it is 'image' or 'text' (or something else like .asp, .html ?) it should open in a new window because that will overwrite the current page...
beg pardon, you're absolutely right.  I was thinking of it in the terms of whether it uses its own IE windows... but yeah it should be the other way round