Shoutbox

bit torrent programs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: bit torrent programs (/showthread.php?tid=21223)

bit torrent programs by tomfletcherman on 02-08-2004 at 09:45 AM

what are your views on the seemingly genius idea?

RE: bit torrent programs by reisyboy on 02-08-2004 at 10:19 AM

Well i didnt like the offical program and most of the versions of Clients just arnt updated anymore :(. However i have found ABC Bit Torrent is an updated program every so often and seems much nice to me :). Id try that :)

Address: http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/index.html

RE: bit torrent programs by ryan92 on 02-08-2004 at 06:34 PM

As reisyboy said the offical isn't that great although if I have to download something via BitTorrent I use Shareaza. Supports Bittorrent, Gnutella1, Gnutella2 and Edonkey and serves as a download manager.

Shareaza

As for the idea of Bittorrent, its pretty good, though sometimes they aren't enough people who share the file, making it hard to download.
Example: Autopatcher XP Update that I was trying to download yesterday. Only 2 users were sharing.

RE: bit torrent programs by tomfletcherman on 02-08-2004 at 09:37 PM

well, mines finally wrking now, but the person keeps disconnecting I think:(

RE: bit torrent programs by .blade// on 02-09-2004 at 04:19 AM

what's the difference? I mean it's basically a download manager....why would you need a lot of extra features on it....we wouldn't want it to turn into another Adwarezilla/Spywarezilla like KaZaA, now would we ;)

RE: bit torrent programs by bach_m on 02-09-2004 at 12:03 PM

i just use the original. its not that big of an issue for me

RE: bit torrent programs by Hova on 02-09-2004 at 01:36 PM

I use the experiental client's (shadows). I don't use bittorrent too often because its not as secure as it could be.

RE: bit torrent programs by tomfletcherman on 02-09-2004 at 04:23 PM

Thanx, p2p sharing is all very dodgy is you ask me, but I still do it. Is it still a risk if you have a firewall program?

RE: bit torrent programs by .blade// on 02-09-2004 at 04:44 PM

Yes, lol, firewalls don't do as much as you would think...

RE: bit torrent programs by reisyboy on 02-09-2004 at 04:58 PM

But they are better than nothing :)

RE: bit torrent programs by Hova on 02-09-2004 at 05:01 PM

NIMO... safe surfing, and you don't need a firewall at all really IMO.

RE: bit torrent programs by Guido on 02-09-2004 at 06:36 PM

I use shareaza as well.

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
.why would you need a lot of extra features on it....we wouldn't want it to turn into another Adwarezilla/Spywarezilla like KaZaA, now would we
Adwarezilla != lot of extra features
Adwarezilla == lot of adware

Shareaza == lot of extra features (that's good)
Shareaza != Adwarezilla

(I think I must make my posts less scriptish :P)

RE: bit torrent programs by Alamarco2 on 02-10-2004 at 02:36 AM

BT is a very fast P2P program. It is very good for new stuff. But the one thing wrong with it is that it doesn't keep old stuff. Once the file gets a little bit old it disappears from the network.

I think Shareaza is crap. The Gnutella network sucks. And the Gnutella2 network will suck.

The Fasttrack network sucks. Kazaa has ruined it. Most things you download on Kazaa are either viruses or are corrupt files. Sig2dat stinks also. I don't like the magnet links either.

eMule is a very stable network for me. Its speeds aren't the best, but if there is any where you could find a rare file, it would be on eMule. eMule has corruption handling, meaning you'll never get a corrupt file do to downloading. The only way you would get a corrupt file is if the file that is being shared was corrupt to begin with.

Piolet is a very fast and reliable way to get your music. It is really good to find single releases, although you wont find all those rare or foriegn songs, like songs from NEK, etc.

And now to end with the best. mIRC. With sites like packetnews, xdccspy, etc there is no way you can't find anything on the mIRC network. mIRC has evolved and is now very fast and reliable. You wont get a corrupt file, unless you download and resume your download off another bot. The speeds are incredibly fast. Although this program is confusing at first. once you learn it you will be glad you spent your time in learning how to use this unique P2P/chat client.

Well those are my views, I hope you don't mind me adding more than just BT.

RE: bit torrent programs by Hova on 02-10-2004 at 04:03 AM

Remember this type of P2P discussion before Guido ;).

Newsgroups. All I have to say about that.

RE: bit torrent programs by tomfletcherman on 02-10-2004 at 03:49 PM

read article about people posting things as text then u have to string it together and reencode it or something:s person in mag said it was too complicated. Anyone use those sites?

RE: bit torrent programs by user2319 on 02-10-2004 at 07:13 PM

Azureus is a good client! I don't like the original client...

BT and eMule are good for large files. BT especially for new/popular (downloading mandrake with it goes very good! :happy: )

RE: bit torrent programs by reisyboy on 02-11-2004 at 04:29 PM

I agree however i have found Bit Torrent to be unable to hold many peers to download off i have alot of trouble staying connected but with ABC it seems to be alot better than the normal client, probably usess some other ports ive not looked into it but yeh who knows :)

RE: bit torrent programs by MasterAssassin on 05-05-2005 at 12:27 AM

i find it sooo slow, could never get past 50kbps....needs more work

RE: bit torrent programs by Caboose on 05-05-2005 at 03:37 AM

I use Azureus and it's better then almost everything else I've used. I especially like the new decentralized tracker feature, which I can use to distribute my stuff more easily, namely the MSN Messenger Pack :)

As for the idea of it, it's a fantastic one. It's a great way to share files, especially large files, and it's very reliable & fast if you have enough seeds.

RE: bit torrent programs by Ezra on 05-05-2005 at 02:43 PM

I have some problems with torrents it seems :S, Azureus works well with speeds and all (They good be better but my isp is crap), But somehow after a couple of hours downloading my internet is gone... I have to restart my router and computer, also tried without router same happends... very strange :S

RE: bit torrent programs by kao on 05-05-2005 at 05:23 PM

talk about bringing back old threads, this is over a year old :dodgy:

i use BitLord ^o)

RE: bit torrent programs by segosa on 05-05-2005 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alamarco2

And now to end with the best. mIRC. With sites like packetnews, xdccspy, etc there is no way you can't find anything on the mIRC network. mIRC has evolved and is now very fast and reliable. You wont get a corrupt file, unless you download and resume your download off another bot. The speeds are incredibly fast. Although this program is confusing at first. once you learn it you will be glad you spent your time in learning how to use this unique P2P/chat client..

You do know that files you download off XDCC bots are hosted on compromised (trojanned) PCs which could very well be granny's old PC she uses for e-mail?

btw. mIRC isn't a network, it's a client. IRC is the protocol and there are many "networks"

quote:
Originally posted by MasterAssassin
i find it sooo slow, could never get past 50kbps....needs more work

No. Bittorrent needs no work, YOU need to work to open/forward the necessary ports so that people can download from you. If you don't do that, don't expect fast speeds.
RE: bit torrent programs by Jhrono on 05-05-2005 at 07:54 PM

Azureus...don't know the site:p but google it, it's worth the effort :P...nice gui but u've got to have Java J2SE Platform Installed :)...i really like it :P

RE: bit torrent programs by rav0 on 05-07-2005 at 04:45 AM

G3 Torrent

Came out of beta a while ago, my number one bittorrent client

• Open-source
  • free (obviously)
  • 0% bloat-factor
  • fast
  • clean, intuitive interface

RE: bit torrent programs by Ezra on 05-07-2005 at 10:13 PM

Woohoo, solved my disconnection problem :), it's kinda offtopic I know... But i thought this might be usefull...

My firewall cause some kind of loopback what made my internet to disconnect... So I turned it off... and Happy downloading :D

Btw... I'm using Panda Platinum, but I read it's a common problem with other firewalls too... like ZoneAlarm

RE: bit torrent programs by YottabyteWizard on 05-08-2005 at 09:28 PM

I use also Azureus, very good program, BTW, having trouble with it.... cant fix the problem 'NAT error'. Checked WXP firewalls, ports.... nothing. Also I can never get passed 10KB/s of DL and I have DSL 512kbps. Any ideas?

RE: bit torrent programs by user2319 on 05-09-2005 at 12:32 PM

Check your router. NAT makes it possible for multiple computers in your LAN (Local Area Network) to be seen by the "outside world" (WAN; Wide Area Network)) as one IP-address.

RE: RE: bit torrent programs by rav0 on 05-10-2005 at 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
I use also Azureus, very good program, BTW, having trouble with it.... cant fix the problem 'NAT error'. Checked WXP firewalls, ports.... nothing. Also I can never get passed 10KB/s of DL and I have DSL 512kbps. Any ideas?

Get your router to forward ports 6881-6999 to the computer that you use Azureus on. Same for everyone else who is having low speeds with BitTorrent and uses a router.
RE: bit torrent programs by Pyroteq on 05-10-2005 at 08:59 AM

Im using bit comet... Also Azureus on the occasion, dam port forwarding.. i always have to do it.

RE: bit torrent programs by YottabyteWizard on 05-11-2005 at 04:14 AM

Nice... thx... I didn't check the router :P... now Azureus works better than ever :D