Shoutbox

Data loss - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Data loss (/showthread.php?tid=21513)

Data loss by Patchou on 02-17-2004 at 05:39 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm sad to report that today, my hard disk miserably failed, taking all my data with it. For the past 10 hours I've been trying to restore my data, I went to the store to buy a new big hard drive for data recovery (that's from a temporary Windows installation that I'm writting this message) and I still don't know how much data I won't be able to save.

Don't worry, the source code of Messenger Plus! is safely backed up, however, I may lose many files that are the result of months of work (I can't backup 80Gb of file on my Tape Backup, however, you can be assured that from now on, I'll use my new 250Gb drive to do full backups). I don't know how a new drive like mine can get messed up so quickly and easily but in any case, I still got many hours to put to try to recover a maximum of stuff. Messenger Plus! 3 will probably get delayed because of that event, even if I'll try my best to get back some of the time lossed due to this problem.

I'm now going back to my numerous file restore programs, have fun while I'm away.
Patchou

RE: Data loss by Chrono on 02-17-2004 at 05:43 AM

Damn it that really sucks :undecided:
i hope u dont lose too many files patch and do ur best to recover them (Y)

RE: Data loss by surfichris on 02-17-2004 at 05:45 AM

Patchou, i know how it feels to lose alot of work.. however just try to stick to it and keep developing..

The whole community is behind you :)

RE: Data loss by ranicx on 02-17-2004 at 05:46 AM

:O .. damn .. that realy has to suck.. there is a program that can view deleted files and stuff on hard drives and recover them (if they havent been writen over), but i duno the name of it sorry.. but there is a program out there that cna do it!

best of luck anyway

RE: Data loss by martin on 02-17-2004 at 05:52 AM

* martin slaps fault hard drive around a bit with a large trout.
good thing u had it all backed up

RE: Data loss by BooGhost on 02-17-2004 at 05:55 AM

damn..... that really sucks (as Chromo said)

hope the recovery thing gets some important data and you don't loose important things :P

and it's good to hear that the source code of Messenger Plus! is safely backed up :P

RE: Data loss by CookieRevised on 02-17-2004 at 06:01 AM

:S
I'm behind you aswell....

I know how it feels when you loose Mega/Gigabytes of data. Happend to me also a couple of times. It's a very hard lesson to learn... When it happend, I stared to my comp for 30 minutes like a zombie. Then I was realy (and I mean realy) pissed. After that I begon the painstaking low-level data recovery, both manualy (fat tables, partitition tables and dir structures where *beeped* up like hell) as using some powerfull tools....
It took me some weeks, after that I recovered 60% of my data and viewed every byte of my HD.... I will never forget it...

Anyways, good luck....

RE: Data loss by Patchou on 02-17-2004 at 06:03 AM

Thank you for your so fast support. It's just sooooo long before I'm able to see a result. I had 183,000 files on my disk and I can't be sure of the vailidity of any of them, even if they have been restored. As I already experienced something like that 5 years ago, I'm doing backups for the important data (source code, emails, documents, ...) but there are stuff like pictures, personal video files, work-in-progress, downloaded tools etc that are not on backup. But as I said, I know paid a heavy price for a new big HD (I didn't even knew they were making 250GB hard drives before I got to tyhe store and asked "quick! what's the biggest disk you've got?"). As it seems I won't be able to completely restore my system, I'll have to reinstall everything, that's tiem consuming, it's boring, and I already did it a month ago when I got my new computer. Even worse: before I can do that, I'll have to get a replacement disk from AlienWare.

Ok, I'll stop whining about it. I just hope it's not the result of a virus.
Patch

RE: Data loss by surfichris on 02-17-2004 at 06:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
personal video files
Like a new Patchou-spears? :-o

There is actually a line of dodgy hard drives that are doing the rounds at the moment.. But i doubt Alienware (:drool:) would be using them in their awesome systems.

Maybe this means you can play Final Fantasy or something while your programs reinstall?

(Just trying to look to the other side of things).
RE: Data loss by fluffy_lobster on 02-17-2004 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Maybe this means you can play Final Fantasy or something while your programs reinstall?

Or make a new Patate Spears video :D

Remember, things write themselves a lot faster second time round (so unless you're so amazing that you can program faster than you can type, you won't take so long to catch up).  That's what always encourages me when I lose stuff.

In all my crappy computers though, I have never, ever had a hard disk failure... I don't know if it's just luck, or I don't do enough to wear it out - anyway, hard luck

[offtopic] Chris you have 666 posts (6)

RE: Data loss by Huuf on 02-17-2004 at 10:57 AM

Hmm

btw don't EVER use IBM hard discs
I had 5 is a time frame of 12 months (yeah I know)
I didn't overclock them they just stopped working, I heard iron over Iron when they crashed

But I create a backup on the server and on several dvd's, because if I loose to much I'm f*cked.

p.s. My dad never back-ups

RE: Data loss by GroteSmurf on 02-17-2004 at 12:04 PM

I agree with Huuf. I had 4 IBM disks in 11 months :-S. I didn't lose important data, but installing everything again and again still sucks :-(.

Good luck, Patchou!

RE: Data loss by lizard.boy on 02-18-2004 at 02:27 AM

erm patchou aleinware sells 500 gig'ers :P and i'm surprised that a drive sold to you by them failed. you can probably get it replcaed with any good wuality drive

(7 years no backups :banana:)

RE: Data loss by .blade// on 02-18-2004 at 02:47 AM

GL patchou, I hope Everything goes ok :)

RE: Data loss by bach_m on 02-18-2004 at 02:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
(7 years no backups :banana:)

thats a long game of russian roulette....... :dodgy:

i like to format/reinstall everything every once in a while (it keeps everything fresh :P), so i have constant backups...

edit:
cuz l.b asked:

Russian Roulette: thats where u put 1 bullet in a 6 barel gun, spin the barrel, and aim at ur head :P guess what might happen?
RE: Data loss by Wabz on 02-20-2004 at 12:22 PM

I had my harddisk in this comp 5 years and it's never crashed yet (touch wood)

Good luck Patchou cant you take the disk to some data recovery place as crashed harddrives data can be recovered maybes it's worth paying to get the data back

We're all behind you Patchou if you ever think different close your eyes and you'll here a gentle chant of over 4 million people shouting your name

RE: Data loss by Beno on 02-20-2004 at 02:07 PM

:'( No Patchou!!!

That really sucks...I want to see the new features really bad...

RE: Data loss by Patchou on 02-21-2004 at 06:16 AM

it's ok, my system is back on a temporary disk while the new one gets exchanged (that's in this kind of moment that you're happy to earn some money with a sponsor, because big hard disks are not particularly cheap :)).

RE: Data loss by theonedragon on 02-21-2004 at 01:05 PM

Patchou rotten luck to have your hard drive fail :( anyways , i found a program that you can take a look at  its used to read and recover failed hard drives its called NTRecover and heres address for it http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml     i hope it helps:)

RE: Data loss by Patchou on 02-22-2004 at 12:52 AM

na, NTRecover is not good enough. I used R-Studio and it did more than I expected :)

RE: Data loss by bach_m on 02-22-2004 at 12:56 AM

so u got alot of it back?!!?!

hooray :clap:

RE: Data loss by Patchou on 02-22-2004 at 01:00 AM

Well, it took a lot of time, a lot of tries and a brand new 250Gb hard disk but yes, I got everything I wanted back. However, Windows really suffered and I'll have to reinstall it from scratch soon (which sucks because I already installed everything just one month ago).

RE: Data loss by .blade// on 02-22-2004 at 02:39 AM

Well it's good you didn't lose too much...I've had hard disk crashes like twice b4, but my HD was fine after a re-installation of windows...I was one of the first to get blaster...b4 the virus definition was out...I really have no clue how I got it ^o)...anyways, best of luck!

RE: Data loss by Pr0xY on 02-23-2004 at 03:01 PM

just wanna say patchou thanks for taking the time to do all of this for us.  I"m sorry to hear  about your hard drive, but its good that you got most of it back..  keep up the great work

RE: Data loss by tomfletcherman on 02-24-2004 at 06:59 PM

Pc's can be evil things. My old one used to get something every year I think, and it would end up being sent away to my dad's m8 who would patch it up nd it would come back. Its happened too many times though, and there's been hard disk failiures etc.

Good that you have recovered everything and installing windows shouldn't be that bad, man I could kill for a 500gb disk...

RE: Data loss by Wabz on 02-24-2004 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
na, NTRecover is not good enough. I used R-Studio and it did more than I expected :)

There amazing them programs I've seen things recovered 

Sometimes a good Linux install reading a dodgy windows disk is good enough though