Shoutbox

Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe (/showthread.php?tid=21630)

Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by edal on 02-20-2004 at 07:48 PM

Hi!

Is there a way to manually install msgplus on a pc without admin privileges  (6)  (6)  (can only write to My Documents, and can't modify windows registry ). There must be some way to manually install it and not have to touch the windows registry.  :(
Please help! Thanks :D

Bye

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by GiantSpider on 02-20-2004 at 07:54 PM

didn't no u needed Admin controls to install Plus! Have u tried installing plus normally but using the advanced installation

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by Weyzza on 02-20-2004 at 07:55 PM

I don't think so.

Every setting that Plus! saves is in the registry.
This included your setting and the setting that you set for your contacts.

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by BooGhost on 02-20-2004 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by edal
There must be some way to manually install it and not have to touch the windows registry.
no there isn't :-/

it has been suggested thought (the school version) :P

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by edal on 02-20-2004 at 08:28 PM

I would also suggest that BooGhost.... A School Version hehe....

The thing is that I won't be aloud to install msgplus :P   so... I was looking for an alternate way ... you know... without asking permission to install a program... ;)

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by bach_m on 02-20-2004 at 08:30 PM

its a windows thing. thats the point of having a limited account :P

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by Patchou on 02-20-2004 at 11:30 PM

I could do a little something to help, hoever, it would be limitated to not writing anything in LocalMachine. The path of installation can be changed in Custom Installation mode. Is your only issue with accessing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from your account? normally, you should be able to access HKEY_CURRENT_USER without any problem, even if your account is limited.

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by Vantage on 02-21-2004 at 03:56 AM

Yes instead of Creating a new Folder just save it in my documents :P it's been like two years i've been doing this :P

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by edal on 02-21-2004 at 05:23 AM

What would I have to do Patchou if I am able to access HKEY_CURRENT_USER?  (I'll have to check on monday if I do have access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER... ;) ).
Thanks! :D

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by Patchou on 02-21-2004 at 05:41 AM

Well, if you have access to this key, I'll add a special setting so that keys I load in LocalMachien are loaded in CurrentUser instead, that will solve your problem :).

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by edal on 02-21-2004 at 05:50 AM

Cool! I'll get back to you on monday :D
Thanks

RE: RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by StickySteve on 02-21-2004 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, if you have access to this key, I'll add a special setting so that keys I load in LocalMachien are loaded in CurrentUser instead, that will solve your problem :).

Wow. You're a top guy Patchou. You'd think with millions of downloads etc you wouldn't need to help just one person. You sir, are truly 1337. lol (Y)

PS I think this is my first post.
RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by edal on 02-21-2004 at 01:58 PM

I agree StickySteve!   This guy is the BEST!   

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by edal on 02-23-2004 at 04:45 PM

Hi Patchou!
I just checked and I do have access to HKEY_CURRENT_USER  :D  woohoo!
What do I have to do now?
Thanks!! :D

RE: Install Messenger Plus without Admin Privileges, hehe by Patchou on 02-23-2004 at 08:13 PM

Ok, I you do have access to current user that'S all good. I've added a note in my todo list for the next Plus! version, I'll make the setup chose the correct location and registry key automatically for you, so you just have to wait :).

The last thing I will ask you is to check if you can write files at these locations (only if you're on Windows 2000 or Windows XP) :
C:\Documents and Settings\AccountName\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\Patchou\Local Settings\Application Data

..that's where I plan to install Plus! on limited accounts.
Patchou