Shoutbox

IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error (/showthread.php?tid=21639)

IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 02-20-2004 at 10:19 PM

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/pro.../sku_list_imsp.jsp

Secure messenger and messenger plus aint friends..

when IM secure is installed it makes messenger gets rc++ runtime error and crashes...

is this a kown bug?

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Choli on 02-21-2004 at 02:02 AM

Can you post a screen shot of the bug or detail it a bit more?

quote:
Originally posted by WikingTOR
when IM secure is installed it makes messenger gets rc++ runtime error and crashes...
Messenger crashes or Messenger Plus? and does that happen it Plus isn't installed? and when does it crash? just installed, when you sign in, when you talk...? Tell us the more information you can.
quote:
Originally posted by WikingTOR
is this a kown bug?
I've never heard about it. However. It can be Plus' fault however I see it unlikely.

Have you reported it to Zone Labs too?
RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Patchou on 02-21-2004 at 05:36 AM

My opinion about IMsecure.

IMSecure being a new software, it's the one who should ensure compatibility with Plus! as Plus! is known to be reliable (if it wasn't, you would see a lot of posts about it). However, I thought it would still be a good idea to install IMSecure and check what was going on. So, I installed the free client available from ZoneLab's web site, it asked me to restart, I did and my Windows didn't restarted. It froze right after login. Even worse: Windows didn't even boot in safe mode!!! I've spent the last 30 minutes tracking down all the changes manually from a command prompt and after several attemps, Windows started back. To make everything complete, my network was not working anymore, I had to reconfigure my network cards myself and restart again. So, if I can give only one advise: don't install this product, the risks are just too big.

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 02-21-2004 at 06:42 PM

oops that did not sound good at all.

i have currently uninstalled Plus and now IM secure works perfectly.

it just made messenger crash with that C++ runtime error.

Seeing that the creator of Plus have had such trouble with IM secure i doubt he will touch it again.

damn,, not even able to boot into safe modus,,, thats very strange..

but i am using the latest version of everything.

if anyone have guts to try this thing, plz report here.

but remeber booting might take a while if you are unlucky.

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Patchou on 02-21-2004 at 09:00 PM

Well, I tried to install the software again, in a virtual station, and it worked. However, everything seems to work fine. Are you using the free version or the Pro version? (I'm using the free one).

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 02-21-2004 at 11:07 PM

i am using free one too. however it did not crash immidiatly could take several hours or it could crash right after reboot.

maybe it will work if i install plus again.

how long time did u run it int the WM?

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Patchou on 02-21-2004 at 11:16 PM

Just 5 minutes :). I thought it was an instantaneous bug. I definitively suggest you to contact ZoneAlaram about the problem, you can give them my email (mplus@patchou.com) and tell them I'm willing to help.

Thanks,
Patchou

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 02-21-2004 at 11:52 PM

ok ive contacted Zonelabs now,, lets hope they responds. please keep me informed if they do contact you.

Thank you for contacting Zone Labs Technical Support.

Your request has been received, and will be processed according to the following schedule:

Priority One : Licensed (paid) users of ZoneAlarm Plus, ZoneAlarm Pro, or IMsecure Pro receive the highest priority in our support queue. Trial users of Zone Alarm Pro receive the same level of service during their 30-day free trial period. You should receive a reply via email within 3-4 working days. (Please only submit one request; as duplicate requests will slow our ability to serve all our customers.)

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 02-22-2004 at 12:08 AM

i got this for a reply, not sure if this means they will even read my letter or not?! :s

Dear valued ZoneAlarm or IMsecure User,

Zone Labs provides technical support for all our products via our support website:

http://www.zonelabs.com/support/

The support website includes our new Instant Support system - this is the quickest way to get most of your questions answered, often in seconds. The site also provides, for each Product, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), help files, and User Manuals. We also provide the ZoneAlarm User Community, where users of all our products help each other. You can access this Community at:

http://www.zonelabs.com/community/

It is likely that your question or issue has already been asked there, so we suggest trying the Search function first (please use the search box at the bottom of each Community page).

Current, registered users of ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm Plus, and IMsecure Pro are also eligible for technical support by email, a support feature not available to users of our free products.

If you are a licensed user of ZoneAlarm Pro/Plus, or IMsecure Pro with a currently valid license, please return to the Technical Support form, select the proper Product, and include either a valid license key or purchase order number:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/form.jsp

Users of our free Products can upgrade to our Pro or Plus versions, and are then eligible for technical support via email.

** NOTE - There is no technical support offered by phone at this time; however, we are investigating possible ways to provide telephone support.

Best Regards,

Zone Labs Customer Care Team

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Patchou on 02-22-2004 at 12:45 AM

You're right, I doubt they will read it.. I guess your best shot would be to post your email on their forum.

Thanks,
Patchou

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 02-22-2004 at 08:22 PM

After i started to get C++ Runtime error on DAP, outlook 2003 and explorer as well, i found out it was time to unistall the pre-alpha crap and install Messenger Plus! again

Patchou - i have returned home again! :D

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Patchou on 02-22-2004 at 08:45 PM

(Y) :)

RE: RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Vantage on 02-22-2004 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
(Y) :)

[Offtopic] *cough* :spam: *cough* [/Offtopic]

Anyways if that happens why not just... *Edit* it abit (6) :P
RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Neb Okla on 04-24-2004 at 08:57 PM

I've been using the free version of IMsecure for a few weeks now, and here is some detailed feedback. 

First, since someone asked early on for an image of the error, here goes:

IMsecure Error
[Image: IMsecure_Error.jpg]

IMsecure Pro Error
[Image: IMsecurePro_Error.jpg]

I have recieved this error with MSN Messenger 6.1 and MSN Messenger 6.2 which was just recently released.

Where is this being discussed?
I have read some reports in the ZoneLabs forums where users claim to have isolated the problem to recieving alerts, deleting contacts, and running Messenger Plus!  Link threads included below:

Recieving Alerts
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?...runtime+error#M970

Deleting Contacts
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?...runtime+error#M940

Messenger Plus!
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?...runtime+error#M856

When does it crash?
For me, deleting a contact is the most reliable way to reproduce this problem.

I did not first discover the problem after deleting a contact though.  Instead, I left MSN Messenger running for several hours while I slept or what not.  This has happened when my status was set to "Appear Offline" as well as the default "Away" setting.  I have also experienced the problem when I was not idle at random times.

This may point to reception of an MSN Alert as a possible issue, but I have not verified this to my satisfaction or seen methods others used for verification posted in the ZoneLabs thread.

A friend, who does not use Messenger Plus!, has also verified that adding himself as a contact, then deleting the contact causes msnmsgr.exe to have a runtime error.

How do I recover?
I typically run MSN Messenger on my home machine and work machine (both Windows XP Pro).  Both have Messenger Plus! installed, and both have IMsecure installed.  Since they were all installed at about the same time from the same links, I believe the versions are all identical.

On my home machine, I am able to re-start by closing the runtime error box and running MSN Messenger again, but I must first terminate the old msnmsgr.exe process which usually has around 25,000 K Peak Mem Usage and VM Size.  I've seen it in the 30,000 K neighborhood after a crash as well.  Once this old process is killed, MSN Messenger re-starts normally.

On my work machine, I do not have to kill the old process for some reason.

Choli's Questions
Choli had some good questions, so I will summarize by answering them directly here:

Messenger crashes or Messenger Plus?
msnmsgr.exe crashes as detailed in the image above.

and does that happen it Plus isn't installed?
I have not verified this, since I can't bear to be without Plus! :P

and when does it crash? just installed, when you sign in, when you talk...?
Whever a contact is deleted.
Also after random periods of time usually in excess of one hour.
In my experience, it installed without a hitch.
Doesn't crash on sign-in.
I believe it has crashed once or twice as I was typing a reply - could be coincidence (maybe MSN Alert was recieved at same instant).

Contacting ZoneLabs
I've seen a lot of "Guru" posts in the ZoneLabs forums that say "Contact ZoneLabs".  These "Gurus" deserved to be smacked for stating this without providing users with a meaningful way of getting in-touch with the people who collect bug-reports.  This is CLEARLY a bug, and NOT a "support" issue.

If anyone finds out how to contact their bug-report people, please post in this forum.  I'll also try to track down a "path of least resistance" for getting this issue resolved on Monday when I can call them during business hours.

To date, I had heard good things about ZoneAlarm from people who use it, but this experience (and my recent discovery that ZoneAlarm makes MSN Messenger file transfers VERY SLOW) have lowered my opinion to "below neutral".

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Patchou on 04-24-2004 at 09:51 PM

Hello,

thank you for the update about this issue. It's sad to see that ZoneLabs is not taking such a serious problem seriously. You can believe me when I say that Microsoft doesn't like very much when third party products crashes their MSN client. If IMSecure becomes more popular, ZoneLabs will probably hear more from them, in the meantime, as this is clrearly not a problem in my software, I suggest you to remove IMSecure from your computer. I've always likes ZoneAlarm, but IMSecure is one of those products that I won't keep installed on my computer (last time I installed a product from ZoneLabs, it crashed my Windows so badly that even Safe Mode was not working anymore... this kind of low level tools are very good, but only when they are perfectly designed).

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Dane on 04-25-2004 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
You're right, I doubt they will read it.. I guess your best shot would be to post your email on their forum.

Thanks,
Patchou
They read all my posts and dont verify if you have the pro version or not, so you can still file it as a pro ticket, btw :P.  I own ZoneAlarm Pro and have had to use support several times.

Note: I did get through to ZoneLabs and am waiting for there reply on this issue.
RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by Dane on 07-08-2004 at 10:37 PM

Well,
Its been 3 months and still no reply :p.  Patchou, I'd just make the Plus! Setup detect if the user is running ZoneLabs IMSecure or IMSecure Pro and give them a popup stating that there is a known incompatability that ppl are workin to fix...I dunno.

RE: IMSecrue + messener Plus! = C++ runtime error by WikingTOR on 07-08-2004 at 10:52 PM

I use simp for encryption now, have installed it on 200 pc's and it works like a charm, check it out -
http://www.secway.fr/products/simplite_msn/home.php?PARAM=us,ie