Shoutbox

Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! (/showthread.php?tid=21642)

Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by matty on 02-20-2004 at 11:49 PM

[Image: winSecCD_header2_420x60.gif]
Order the Windows Security Update CD
Updated Date: February 20, 2004

The Windows Security Update CD will be shipped to you free of charge. This CD includes Microsoft critical updates released through October 2003 and information to help you protect your PC. In addition, you will also receive free antivirus and firewall trial software.

This CD is only available for Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows 98, and Windows 98 Second Edition (SE).

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.

If you have one of the listed Operating Systems above Microsoft will send you their Updates for the Operating System on 2 CDs for free! Believe it not, click the link and order it now!!

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Chrono on 02-21-2004 at 12:03 AM

Unbelievable :shocked:
But it was too good to be true :P Chile is not listed in the countries :(

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by BooGhost on 02-21-2004 at 12:38 AM

Neither Peru :(

blah :p

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Choli on 02-21-2004 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Customers outside the US and Canada: CD availability varies by country.

I was affraid of that. Spain not showed in those lists.
* Choli slaps M$ it never gives free cds/demo cds to spain around a bit with a large trout.
RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by chris on 02-21-2004 at 02:22 AM

well it said more countries will be avalible on the 23rd of febuary.. but lucky me ima from the US and ima order mine now (Y)

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by reisyboy on 02-21-2004 at 02:33 AM

Ordered :D im fed-up of downloading all these fixes lol :)

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Dane on 02-21-2004 at 02:38 AM

Yesss!  I was wishing they'd do this, Lifesaver for users with 56k, does it include XP SP1?

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by surfichris on 02-21-2004 at 03:20 AM

Yes it includes SP1. I was apart of the team that helped test the CD.

Microsoft sends out lots of free cd's..

* surfichris remembers the 15 disc set he got for testing Office 2003 and Windows 2003 server...

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Dane on 02-21-2004 at 03:34 AM

lol...And I bet they are still selling a Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD.

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by frog on 02-21-2004 at 03:52 AM

and you lot only found this out today? :lol:   i orderd mine like.. a week ago.. just forgot to post here bout it :$ :P

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by stonesour on 02-21-2004 at 06:05 AM

Evil marketing scheme...

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by BiZaRrE on 02-21-2004 at 06:38 AM

is this 100% free of charge?
i mean i see a lot of places where they say free shipping, but u gotta pay for the actual product. if i ordered it and i had to pay any kind of charge GST, product charge etc. then my dad would kill me:p

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by reisyboy on 02-21-2004 at 01:35 PM

Now its 100% f5ree just remember to clikc No on the further contact with Mircosoft by email phone mail etc or u get flooded with Rubbish lol like i did :$ once hehehehe

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by kao on 02-21-2004 at 05:37 PM

i would like to state how it didn't work when i used Firefox and it did work when i used IE (lol?)

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Stigmata on 02-21-2004 at 06:06 PM

:) done :)

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by chris on 02-21-2004 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Now its 100% f5ree just remember to clikc No on the further contact with Mircosoft by email phone mail etc or u get flooded with Rubbish lol like i did :$ once hehehehe
was their somewere to check that on that order form:| i didnt see it... arrh i hope there wasnt cuz ima be flooded if not.. if not ill just tell them to stop calling me lol..
RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by kao on 02-21-2004 at 07:25 PM

ouch, yes... there was somewhere to select yes or no to them contacting you by email/phone/post :P

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by MC Inferno on 02-21-2004 at 07:36 PM

Kao, how much do use with that firefox? stop plugging it man!

I want it and it wont work :'( I'm in the UK and it tells me im using the wrong characters when I put in my phone number :S

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by kao on 02-21-2004 at 07:55 PM

err ? :/

phone number is easiest part man, 3 boxes, top one = "44" (country code) second one = your phone number inclusing area code, eg "02075554422" (not my number so fo :P)

3rd one is bollocks, leave it :P

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Huuf on 02-25-2004 at 09:48 PM

NOW also in other country's available :p

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Choli on 02-25-2004 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Huuf
NOW also in other country's available :p
I've forgotten to check that page.
* Choli orders his copy right now :banana:
RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Huuf on 02-25-2004 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I've forgotten to check that page.
* Choli orders his copy right now :banana:

Yea that's why I posted it in this thread also got it posted at www.mess.be :P
RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by s7a5 on 02-25-2004 at 10:55 PM

ordered in case i feel bored downloading them :)

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Guido on 02-25-2004 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Unbelievable :shocked:
But it was too good to be true :P Chile is not listed in the countries :(
I know how it feels :gfdrin:
RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by BiZaRrE on 02-26-2004 at 10:08 AM

just ordered mine now, cos im banned from using the com, other tan for hw, but my parents aren't in:refuck:..so....I ORDERED IT!:P
my dad wouldn't really trust this kinda thing if i told him about it:S

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by br0kebusta on 03-02-2004 at 09:46 PM

I wonder why is Microsoft doing this. Maybe there's some "update" that will stop our Windows from working, forcing us to buy the new one!! :|:S:|:S:|:S

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by bach_m on 03-02-2004 at 09:53 PM

what is thiss?? "conspiracy week"???

its because t heres a ridiculous ammount of effort and ppl dont have the time to DL them, especially on a 56k connection. and its part of their security solution.

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by ranicx on 03-03-2004 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
what is thiss?? "conspiracy week"???

lol yer i know.. like arghhh!! quit with the conspiracy stuff! no1 is out to get uuuuuuuuuuu (u as in any1 who has conspiracy theroys this week)
quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
its because t heres a ridiculous ammount of effort and ppl dont have the time to DL them, especially on a 56k connection. and its part of their security solution.
also not every1 in the company r like mr bill.. its also in there best intrests that ppl have there windows uptodate and more secure with less errors.. happy customers, happy company :P

oh, and im ordering now :D

Edit:
aww wtf!! u gota be shitting me!! .. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

quote:
The page is currently unavailable
Due to current high demand, the page you are looking for cannot be delivered right now. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

HTTP Error 408 / 409 - Not acceptable / Resource conflict
Internet Explorer 

Edit 2: heh.. hmm scrap that.. got an email..
quote:
Please keep this e-mail for your records.

Thank you for ordering the Windows Security Update CD. Microsoft has received your order, and it is being processed. You can expect to receive your CD within 2-4 weeks

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by MC Inferno on 03-03-2004 at 04:43 PM

The conspiracy shit's doing my head in too, but it is unusual for microsoft to be.... dare i say it.... nice? ;)

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by ranicx on 03-03-2004 at 04:55 PM

lol.. hmm yer they r being nice here, but it is for there own good too, remember.  like if you had a program and it needed patching and the best way was to send the patch the actual customer, wouldnt u do it? :P

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by MakaveliThaDon on 03-06-2004 at 02:26 PM

* MakaveliThaDon orders 2

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by xt0rt on 03-06-2004 at 02:34 PM

fuck, didnt know about these, im gonna order 100

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by billywoods1 on 03-06-2004 at 02:53 PM

Sounds about right, ranicx (I'm ignoring the three posts above me :undecided:)... Microsoft are not gonna be seen not sending patches out if they're important. They want to be seen as good, so although they've allowed this/these security hole(s) in in the first place, they're offering free easy patches to it/them. Typically Microsoft.

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by MakaveliThaDon on 03-06-2004 at 02:57 PM

its good, dont say its bad u fool

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Stigmata on 03-18-2004 at 04:43 PM

IIIIIIIII GOOOOOOOOOTTTTT MINE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by kao on 03-18-2004 at 05:46 PM

got mine today too :banana: its really lame, but handy after formatting :P

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Stigmata on 03-18-2004 at 06:47 PM

cus my pc came with norton pre installed, i cant have the firewall+antivirus...how lame.......

RE: RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by ZrednaZ on 03-18-2004 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by br0kebusta
I wonder why is Microsoft doing this. Maybe there's some "update" that will stop our Windows from working, forcing us to buy the new one!! :|:S:|:S:|:S

Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe Bill Gates felt that things were getting a bit dull around Seattle, so just for the fun of it he decided to start sending out CD's that would ruin people's operating systems and force them to buy new ones.
In the meantime he was betting his wife whether or not their fortune would cover the 100.000 law suits that this CD would trigger. :):P
RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by frog on 04-15-2004 at 03:28 AM

i havnt fucking got mine yet.. fukcing m$

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Joe on 04-15-2004 at 03:34 AM

i got a po box and i dont feel like calling microsoft, so i'll stick to d/l ing!

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by Wabz on 04-16-2004 at 10:43 AM

I got mine it was one of the best things I've ever had for free.  it makes life on 56k much easier as I dont have to download huge files to update my computer!

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by M-Head on 04-16-2004 at 05:31 PM

The Windows Update CD is amazingly useful!

The microsoft security team had one of their chats yesterday, and after seeing the link on Neowin (30 mins after it started) I jumped in and asked if they will produce a CD with SP2 on it. I got a reply, but it was one saying that in SP2 there will be updates to the Windows Update 'thingy', and if your computer only needs 1kb out of a 1mb patch available, it'll only download part of it, making future, post-SP2 updates more user friendly. I think I remember seeing something saying that the logs of the chat will be posted on a website, I'll try and find them.

Edit: It isn't up on the site yet.

RE: Free CD From Microsoft? Its True! Its True! by pablotossi on 04-17-2004 at 04:59 PM

......wait for my CD :P

:$