Shoutbox

Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread (/showthread.php?tid=21645)

Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by BooGhost on 02-21-2004 at 01:56 AM

well i'd suggest a sticky thread (like the "nick changed" one), but for banned ppl: featuring reason and time (if already decided)

maybe some mod/admin won't like to explain it to ppl well then it could be a closed thread :P

RE: Request: Banned Members Stiky Thread by Chrono on 02-21-2004 at 02:00 AM

i dont care to be honest, as im a mod and i will always know :lol:
But is indeed a good idea..

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by reisyboy on 02-21-2004 at 02:08 AM

I like the idea then eveyone is aware of whats happened and a member doesnt just disapear :)

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by Choli on 02-21-2004 at 02:17 AM

I agree. If we all are a whole community and some member is expulsed from it (ie: banned) I think we should know why, even if the admin/mod that says that writes a short sentence in a single line.

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by surfichris on 02-21-2004 at 03:26 AM

I think the exact opposite.

Administrators have the right to do what they wish, for whatever reason they wish.

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by WDZ on 02-21-2004 at 03:55 AM

IMO it's none of your business why someone is banned. The only people who have a right to know are the forum staff and the person who's banned. It's between us and them.

Most of the time, the reasons will be obvious, and even if they're not, the banning is in the past, and we shouldn't bring it up again and make a big deal out of it.

Finally, banning is fairly rare here.

What's that? My opinion is biased? Nahhhhhh... (A)

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by Fraisie on 02-21-2004 at 04:36 AM

I totally agree with WDZ and Chris. No need to add more !

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by lylesback2 on 02-21-2004 at 05:49 AM

meh, who cares whos banned

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by fluffy_lobster on 02-21-2004 at 09:27 AM

Bleh, I voted then read the posts after it, and I have to say I agree with Chris and DZ too...  tbh, if you're wondering whether someone was banned you can just look them up anyway on the memberlist... we don't need to know every obscure person who flooded a forum with spam which was all deleted before we saw any of it.

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by Anubis on 02-21-2004 at 09:40 AM

I see WDZ and Chris’s point but it would be nice to have a clue why they were banned. I mean just a reason out of like 5 possible things on the banned user's profile like;
Banned due to spamming
Banned due to threatening users
That way it’s not 100% clear why they were banned but it gives you a clue…

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by Muss on 02-21-2004 at 12:35 PM

But why does it matter why they were banned?, they were obviously banned for a reason (well, you would like to hope so :refuck:), and as that reason is good enough for an admin to ban them, you should be able to accept that that reason is a good one, and not have to know what it is :D

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by BooGhost on 02-21-2004 at 08:44 PM

blah.... i just think we have the right to know...

and being it's logical mods/admins will oppose (or don't say a thing) coz they already know what happened (staff forum)

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by lylesback2 on 02-21-2004 at 08:48 PM

hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by BooGhost
blah.... i just think we have the right to know...

and being it's logical mods/admins will oppose (or don't say a thing) coz they already know what happened (staff forum)
good point...
but on the other hand, the users won't be back... but you'll know i was once banned :P

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by Stigmata on 02-21-2004 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
it's none of your business why someone is banned.

so you could ban me for jack shit?
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by lizard.boy on 02-21-2004 at 08:53 PM

if someone wanted to they could. but then the other staff may get angry.

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by BooGhost on 02-21-2004 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
if someone wanted to they could. but then the other staff may get angry.

The point of this suggested thread is not to question if a ban was or not fair... just to let ppl know why it was... that's all...

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by WDZ on 02-21-2004 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
Of course I could. But would I? No. If I did ban you, I'd tell you why.

I think you people just need to trust the decisions of the forum staff. We're not that evil... :rolleyes: (a)
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by reisyboy on 02-21-2004 at 10:25 PM

Oki after reading what that admins say id like to repeal what i said, actually i think they are right it is their responsablily an their rights to ban members. And you are right its not hard to work out why a member is banned :)

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by WDZ on 02-21-2004 at 10:27 PM

quote:
The point of this suggested thread is not to question if a ban was or not fair... just to let ppl know why it was... that's all...
Hmm... it seems to me like the supporters of this suggestion are questioning our decisions. If they aren't, then why do they want to know the reasons? :-/

Surely if we told everyone all the reasons, they would be criticized.
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by Choli on 02-21-2004 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think you people just need to trust the decisions of the forum staff
The point of this thread (or at least I get it like this) isn't make a place where people could say "Admins, you shouldn't have banned XXX because..." or "hey, ban XXX because...", just a place where admins say "XXX has been banned because..." and noone would say anything more.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
it seems to me like the supporters of this suggestion are questioning our decisions. If they aren't, then why do they want to know the reasons?
imo, one thing is knowing the reasons and another one is questioning them. Personally, I support all staff's decisions because, apart from other things, they're the staff.

Well, that's just my view. Nothing more :^)
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by BooGhost on 02-21-2004 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think you people just need to trust the decisions of the forum staff
I DO trust you... :'( but i just wanna know coz sometimes i feel so LOST... there are TOO manythings underground (near the staff forum)....
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by theguy on 02-21-2004 at 11:24 PM

I like the idea of the banned thread list, just have it like the changed usernames. But, I am STRONGLY AGAINST the idea of the staff saying why. We can figure that out, but be as follows. In example:
[Febuary 2004]
theguy-Febuary 21st-1 week

How's that? It sounds like some of these people are nosey.

RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by WDZ on 02-21-2004 at 11:35 PM

quote:
there are TOO manythings underground (near the staff forum)....
I understand how you feel, but sometimes it's best if the public doesn't know certain things... especially if it involves the security of the board, or if it's a controversial topic. :-/

The staff forum isn't usually as active as you might think though... |-)

quote:
Originally posted by theguy
[Febuary 2004]
theguy-Febuary 21st-1 week
I'd actually prefer it if banned members didn't know exactly when they'd be unbanned... they'd stay away longer then... :refuck:
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by lylesback2 on 02-21-2004 at 11:36 PM

it's a stupid idea to post WHY they are banned (N)

but i agree with posting WHO was banned (Y)

RE: RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by theguy on 02-22-2004 at 01:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'd actually prefer it if banned members didn't know exactly when they'd be unbanned... they'd stay away longer then... :refuck:

:lol: The banned time can be gone, but Maybe just not let the banned people see that thread.
RE: Request: Banned Members Sticky Thread by surfichris on 02-22-2004 at 03:39 AM

This wont be changed any time soon.

WDZ has expressed his point of view here, and ultimately it is his decision.

It is NONE of your business why another member has been banned, although most of the time it is very noticable.  You should respect our decisions on the forum and not question them.

Topic closed.