Shoutbox

TextArea too slow - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: TextArea too slow (/showthread.php?tid=21758)

TextArea too slow by RaceProUK on 02-24-2004 at 03:51 PM

The main text control (when you write a new post) takes far too long to load. Is it possible to get it to load in less than a second? Or is it just a Mozilla thing?

RE: TextArea too slow by WDZ on 02-24-2004 at 04:01 PM

I think the problem is all the MyCode buttons and javascript that are loaded with that form. How long is it taking? Are you using a slow PC?

RE: TextArea too slow by RaceProUK on 02-24-2004 at 04:07 PM

If you call Athlon XP2600 and 512MB DDR400 slow, then yeah.

It can take 4-6 seconds at times.
If the TextArea was loaded before all the buttons and such that aren't vital to its workings, would it load quicker?

RE: TextArea too slow by GiantSpider on 02-24-2004 at 04:37 PM

try usind the Quick reply and learn the essential mycode. Then the only time u need to use the Reply page is when u have to attach sumthin. MyCode
I wrote all this in the Quick reply

RE: TextArea too slow by RaceProUK on 02-24-2004 at 04:44 PM

Or for edits.

RE: TextArea too slow by GiantSpider on 02-24-2004 at 04:45 PM

If u cnt see it at the bottom of ur screen change the Option in ur CP

RE: TextArea too slow by WDZ on 02-24-2004 at 04:45 PM

Wow, I didn't know it was slow on fast PCs too... does anyone else here think it's too slow? :p

I'm really not sure how I could make it load first... maybe if the MyCode buttons were under the textarea, but that would look crappy, might screw up that advanced javascript somehow, and isn't guaranteed to work... :^)

Chris made all that stuff, and I don't know much about it. If this happens on other MyBBoards, then maybe the MyBB developers will look into it.

quote:
ry usind the Quick reply and learn the essential mycode. Then the only time u need to use the Reply page is when u have to attach sumthin.
Yeah, I agree. The quick reply should load fast. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with your PC/browser. :P
RE: TextArea too slow by RaceProUK on 02-24-2004 at 04:48 PM

You both replied too fast: I'm using Quick Reply for this. Wasn't logged in when reading previous posts.

RE: TextArea too slow by GiantSpider on 02-24-2004 at 04:53 PM

Yeah WDZ its is a bit slow. n im using a P4  512MB

RE: TextArea too slow by Tochjo on 02-24-2004 at 05:33 PM

When I clear my cache, it can take up to 15 seconds before all the images on the page are loaded. After that, they are in my cache and the page loads in a few seconds (Mozilla).

This is just once, and I don't see a problem waiting once in a while :-/
I'm on AMD Athlon 2000+ with 256 MB RAM and a 1 mbps connection.

RE: TextArea too slow by Choli on 02-24-2004 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
does anyone else here think it's too slow?
Yep, I think so. At home I use a slow PC but at the Uni (with a very high internet connection speed and better Pcs) it still seems it doesn't load as fast as it should be (due to all the images & javascript etc...).

I'd really be happy if you could put an option in user cp to just display the text area, ie: remove the smilies and the formatting options (like it was before surfi added that)
RE: TextArea too slow by RaceProUK on 02-24-2004 at 06:21 PM

Or use the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page.
Also, I've noticed the new post page loads fairly quickly, compared to the edit page.

RE: TextArea too slow by Choli on 02-24-2004 at 06:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Or use the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page.
I allways use it, except when I have to edit a post, post a new thread or attach a file. In those cases I'd really like that page load faster.
RE: TextArea too slow by kao on 02-25-2004 at 07:28 AM

It loads slow for me aswell on an AMD Athlon 2500 with 768 DDR on 576k DSL :undecided:

RE: TextArea too slow by CookieRevised on 02-25-2004 at 10:02 AM

The real bottleneck are the emoticons. Try to add "width" and "height" tags to them. It will reduce the loadingtime (in that case the browser doesn't need to look up the actual width and height of each image and adjust the page accordingly).

Another trick is to use an imagemap for the left panel with the emoticons. So you'll get only 1 image instead of 25 to be loaded. Drawback: you need to define the area's (although this is easly done with an imagemap editor), the emoticons can't be animated and you can't quickly replace an icon with another one whenever you need to...

RE: TextArea too slow by lizard.boy on 02-25-2004 at 02:10 PM

its slow on mine too so i usually use the quickreply (love it, on only other forum i've seen it on is ipodlounge) it loads really slow on bothe my ie and firebird/firefox (when i used it) btw p42.4ghz with 512 mb ram on a cable connection

RE: TextArea too slow by GiantSpider on 02-25-2004 at 03:49 PM

Pretty Unanimous. Ive seen it on Lite that (They use myBBoard) and on msfn's forums

RE: TextArea too slow by kao on 02-26-2004 at 08:05 PM

the quick reply box is part of almost every single Forum software :undecided: almopst all forums have it turned on or have the optin to turn it on in your CP :undecided:

RE: TextArea too slow by Wabz on 02-27-2004 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
Pretty Unanimous. Ive seen it on Lite that (They use myBBoard) and on msfn's forums

Lite that?  Wheres that :refuck:

Anyways Dz it is a little slow perhaps some reworking of the page would speed things up a little :)

RE: TextArea too slow by Pure_BY on 02-28-2004 at 11:00 PM

Loading slow as FUCK on my computer (my PC is not VERY fast but not at all slow), and loading not faster on ANY (faster) computer i have been workin' on :'(

REALLY annoying

Forums are loading fast enough, only takes ages for "edit | report | quote..." etc, buttons, and when i post a reply or edit post it takes sometimes like 5~8 seconds to load a page... dureing these 5~8 seconds i just see gray shit

My internet not so slow neither... downloading files in 80 cases from 100 goes with speed not lower than 200~250 kb/s...

RE: TextArea too slow by Choli on 02-28-2004 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SLim Shady
Forums are loading fast enough, only takes ages for "edit | report | quote..." etc, buttons,
the report button wroks fast for me. As an example I've just reported your post

j/k ;)

quote:
and when i post a reply or edit post it takes sometimes like 5~8 seconds to load a page... dureing these 5~8 seconds i just see gray shit
5-8 secs after seeing "your reply has been posted, now you'll be redirected to that page..."? It seems too much. I think that goes faster for me too.
RE: TextArea too slow by Pure_BY on 02-28-2004 at 11:13 PM

No, its 5~8 seconds after i click on "Add reply" or "edit" buttons...

By the way, just counted for fun, it took me 14 seconds this time... on 200 kb/s internet...

RE: TextArea too slow by Choli on 02-28-2004 at 11:58 PM

quote:
By the way, just counted for fun, it took me 14 seconds this time... on 200 kb/s internet...
here I'm on 256 Kbps minus 7 Kb/s (56 Kbps) of downloading one thing (so it's the same as you) and it works well. Maybe your browser doesn't cache the images and it has to reload all them again. I don't know.
RE: TextArea too slow by Pure_BY on 02-29-2004 at 12:00 AM

Allt he other images on all the other sites are cached....

Website GFDD.net that is almost 100% in Flash is loading much faster than 1 damn php page :S

RE: TextArea too slow by dotNorma on 02-29-2004 at 12:19 AM

When I click post reply it the new page loads almost instantly with all the frame stuff but it takes about 2-3 seconds for some of the images to loag (half are already loaded when the page is first shown). My computer is very fast and I have a 1.4 mb connection.