Shoutbox

[split] Mac debate - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [split] Mac debate (/showthread.php?tid=21811)

RE: Is there any add-on for MSN Messenger on MAC? by tomfletcherman on 02-25-2004 at 05:47 PM

Why is the mac still around when no one is willing to write things for it? I really don't get how it survives with an outdated messenger to my knowledge nd literally no one writing free/shareware 4 it?

RE: Is there any add-on for MSN Messenger on MAC? by bach_m on 02-25-2004 at 06:04 PM

WOW! thats an uniformed answer. theres is loads of free (as in speech) software for the mac platform, as well as many other pay software.. its is also more secure htan a windows machine (u ever hear of a Mac Virus?). and there are programs for it. in fact, Microsoft Word and Excel were on the mac before they were on anything else. macs also have excelent user interfaces, and are very powerful, and in the log run are cheaper (the 3rd most powerful supercomputer is 1/3 of the speed of the top one, at 1/10th of the price). it is also amazing at editing video and audio, which is why it is the most used operating system in the music AND movie industry.

and why u judge an operating system on MSM messesnger is beyond me

RE: Is there any add-on for MSN Messenger on MAC? by tomfletcherman on 02-25-2004 at 06:58 PM

It's also the look and otehr things, an no one I know has one. They may have a stylish look, but are no real competition. About the viruses im sure there are none because every1 targets microsoft pcs, as thats what teh vast majority of people use. I'm not being anti, just wonder about macs seeing as I never hear about them

RE: Is there any add-on for MSN Messenger on MAC? by bach_m on 02-25-2004 at 07:11 PM

i know a bunch of ppl who have them, and even more who want them. just because u never hear about doesn't mean that they do poorely.

in fact, Apple just payed off all of their debt :P

RE: Is there any add-on for MSN Messenger on MAC? by tomfletcherman on 02-25-2004 at 07:17 PM

What annoys me msot is lack of compatibility, but I spose u can get those emulation engines for apple macs? so they run windwos programs

RE: Is there any add-on for MSN Messenger on MAC? by bach_m on 02-25-2004 at 07:18 PM

or, you just dont need those programs. and anything decent has a Mac version. what are u looking for? and dont say games.

RE: [split] Mac debate by Wabz on 02-27-2004 at 06:21 PM

MACs are very powerful Machines they run on a different processor type to PC's and are reasonably cheap.  Try video editing on a MAC and PC a MAC will win hands down everytime.  At college with have a suite of 12 and a big server as well!

There great there just not windows thats all

RE: [split] Mac debate by kao on 02-27-2004 at 06:27 PM

MACs are for Image editing etc, music editing all the Powerful stuff, they are more reliable etc...

Windows machines are by far the more home-use machine for the simple fact that more people know how to use them and there is alot more software for them.

Personally, i dont like using MACs because i just want a home-use pc which can run every game, i dont need a MAC so i wont have one :)

and next time, dont put a mahcine down because of the fact its MSN Messenger version number is lower than Windows' :|

RE: [split] Mac debate by Jordan2004 on 02-27-2004 at 06:38 PM

Macs would be very good, but it's the compatibility they lack. The majority of software (made by MS anyway) is for Windows, as they want you to use Windows.

RE: [split] Mac debate by CookieRevised on 02-27-2004 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jordan2004
Macs would be very good, but it's the compatibility they lack. The majority of software (made by MS anyway) is for Windows, as they want you to use Windows.
It doesn't lack compatibility... If I follow your reasoning, then Windows is as muc has incompatible as the mac, cause it won't run mac programs....

You don't know mac programs cause you don't use them... There are many many many programs for the mac. And for every piece of Windows software, you'll find the equivalent mac software...

I for one, love to have a mac, because I do some video and sound editing from time to time (for theater and shows). If you once seen how a mac works and what you can do with it, you won't anything else... But of course, having yet another computer costs money, and I have to make choices, so... if I need todo vid/sound editing I go to my mates house who has a mac in his studio...

I can asure you, it's not crap at all... don't judge things without knowing them...
RE: [split] Mac debate by user2319 on 02-29-2004 at 02:20 PM

MSN Messenger clone for Linux, Mac and Windows: aMSN

Works great :happy:

RE: [split] Mac debate by Jeronimo on 02-29-2004 at 04:19 PM

Lets not forget the other side of the coin. Windows is excellent as well.

If I had a Mac, I'd use it loads. But I'd use my PC loads as well.

To be honest, overall, neither is better than the other. Except Steve Jobs is so hilarious at times :D

RE: [split] Mac debate by .blade// on 02-29-2004 at 04:33 PM

I was in the store the other day and they were selling off their 3 whole MAC OS games, one was a 3D version of PONG...LOL! But HALO was originally for Mac OS, but Microsoft wasw afraid,s o they bought Bungie ;)
But either way, I don't like MACs as much...lol

Oh, and watch this, it's a spoof ;) It's good :P

Apple Switch Ad

RE: [split] Mac debate by bach_m on 02-29-2004 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Except Steve Jobs is so hilarious at times

and balmer isn't??

also
RE: [split] Mac debate by .blade// on 02-29-2004 at 05:18 PM

Lol @ all of the movies about Balmer, I saw the one where he screams, but I haven't seen the "develpoers" one :P

If that guy is on any kind of drug, he needs to get off of it, and if he isn't, he needs some ;)

RE: [split] Mac debate by Jeronimo on 02-29-2004 at 05:23 PM

Balmer isn't hilarious. He's crazy!! :D

Steve Jobs just makes me laugh cos of some of the claims he makes :)

RE: [split] Mac debate by .blade// on 02-29-2004 at 06:04 PM

I agree with Jeronimo, Balmer is crazy...He needs shock therapy or something...and de-oderant :P

I think whoever highered him is the one who leaked the partial source code ;)

RE: [split] Mac debate by Chris.1 on 02-29-2004 at 07:14 PM

I use PCs (with Windows) at home and Macs (OS X) at school.

I was seriously thinking about buying myself one of the new PowerBooks for school use. They do everything I would need - plus Mac OS X kicks serious ass!

RE: [split] Mac debate by tomfletcherman on 02-29-2004 at 07:29 PM

It was just the whole messenger thing that reminded me of the whole macs rnt good thing. Sorry, glad I could be enlightened though. Who split the thread making everyone hate me for being so narrowminded? lol

RE: [split] Mac debate by bach_m on 02-29-2004 at 07:30 PM

a mod, prolly :P

and were glad we could help

RE: [split] Mac debate by .blade// on 02-29-2004 at 08:35 PM

I would still never buya  MAC ;) Too few things are compatible with it, inclusing most of the good games, although when I was in Media Arts last year we had a prety good, FREE game for Mac os or Windows, called BOLO (or WinBolo if u want it for windows...hosted on dif. site) just do a search!

RE: RE: [split] Mac debate by user2319 on 03-01-2004 at 03:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vandango
I use PCs (with Windows) at home and Macs (OS X) at school.

I was seriously thinking about buying myself one of the new PowerBooks for school use. They do everything I would need - plus Mac OS X kicks serious ass!

you sound very positive, but do say 'was'. Why not anymore?

btw, I would love to have a mac. I would love to have 2 comps. One for every OS :happy: 3 PCs and a Mac.
RE: [split] Mac debate by .blade// on 03-01-2004 at 07:50 PM

PlusFan, you just said you would like to have 2 PCs, then you said you wanted 3 + a MAC....how does that ad up to 2? *-)

RE: [split] Mac debate by user27089 on 03-01-2004 at 07:57 PM

mac is poor, the layout is poor, the design for the machines is sweet, but he layout of the software is quite frankly crap

RE: [split] Mac debate by bach_m on 03-01-2004 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
mac is poor, the layout is poor, the design for the machines is sweet, but he layout of the software is quite frankly crap

and you, quite frankly, dont know what your talking about

be a little more specific. wtf is "the layout of the software"?
RE: [split] Mac debate by dom. on 03-01-2004 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
and you, quite frankly, dont know what your talking about

be a little more specific. wtf is "the layout of the software"?
seems like he means he dont like the gui.. im not too keen on it either, but never the less, id LOVE a mac!
RE: [split] Mac debate by chungster on 03-01-2004 at 11:49 PM

i really dont want a mac either cuz they re harder to use for me anyway i think it all depends on what type of person uses the computer

RE: RE: [split] Mac debate by user2319 on 03-02-2004 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
PlusFan, you just said you would like to have 2 PCs, then you said you wanted 3 + a MAC....how does that ad up to 2? *-)

Fuck.. typo! :p

quote:
I REALLY don't like macs *pictures burning a MAC for fun*
:dodgy: maybe you're comparing an old MacOS, to a new WindowsOS/XP. That's about the same as comparing win95 to winxp :-/
RE: [split] Mac debate by user27089 on 03-02-2004 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dom.
seems like he means he dont like the gui.. im not too keen on it either, but never the less, id LOVE a mac!
they have a sweet design yes, the person over the roads house has bout 5 or 6 macs, and i've used it and tis crap :p
RE: [split] Mac debate by Stigmata on 03-02-2004 at 06:51 PM

* Stigmata just hates the mouse..........

full stop

RE: [split] Mac debate by tomfletcherman on 03-02-2004 at 07:23 PM

apparantly the mac is good for graphic design etc but still, a windows pc is my choice anyday

RE: [split] Mac debate by user27089 on 03-02-2004 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
apparantly the mac is good for graphic design etc but still, a windows pc is my choice anyday
probly but who cares, do they have autocad for the mac?
RE: RE: [split] Mac debate by user2319 on 03-02-2004 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
* jackass_wanabe just hates the mouse..........

full stop

you can buy an other mouse :-/
RE: [split] Mac debate by tomfletcherman on 03-02-2004 at 08:17 PM

theres sum lush mosue alternatives, but they're so hrd to use

RE: [split] Mac debate by RiceLidy on 03-04-2004 at 02:09 AM

my father say mac are what professinal uses in graphic and he say that mac is the sam as tophat linux and i believge him cus he is very smart, i dont like one button mouse

RE: [split] Mac debate by bach_m on 03-04-2004 at 03:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RiceLidy
tophat

redhat. its red hat linux.

"momma said life is like a box of choclates"
RE: RE: [split] Mac debate by .blade// on 03-04-2004 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman

Well the only thing I like about MAC OS for graphic design is it allows you to use the "Pick Color" tool (I'm in canada, so it should be colour :P) to select a colour from another window...so it's handy....but it's not like you can just take a screenshot, paste it, and then take the colour from that ;)
RE: RE: [split] Mac debate by user2319 on 03-04-2004 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RiceLidy
my father say mac are what professinal uses in graphic and he say that mac is the sam as tophat linux and i believge him cus he is very smart, i dont like one button mouse

what do you mean by 'the sam'? :-/ I never heard of Tophat Linux. As bach_m said, you probably mean RedHat.