Shoutbox

Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile (/showthread.php?tid=21981)

Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-01-2004 at 11:00 PM

Heya

I want to request that the new MSG Plus!3 will support sending notifications to your own registered MSN mobile when certain events happen, like certain people log in or out.

Kind of like it is in the current version of MSG Plus!3 that enables you to define custom sounds to those events to people on your contact list.

Like this:
1) Joe wants to talk with Tom when he logs on, but isn't around the computer all the time, but had the cell phone with him.
2) Joe sets that the next time Tom logs on (or every time, as an option) that he'll get a text message on his cell phone.
3) Tom logs on while Joe is outside, and gets the notification on the cell, and can walk inside to chat.

I hope it is doable. Feel free to comment/ask questions in this thread if I've been unclear about some things.

Thanks!

Mykel

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-03-2004 at 02:23 PM

Think it will be possible?

RE: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Federico on 03-05-2004 at 10:18 PM

Hi, I think it's a great idea, but I think it will be better, to send a mail to another Email address, than send a message to the address registered on MSN mobile, because, for example, my cell phone doesn't  receive message from MSN mobile, but I think that  all cell phones have an associated E mail address

Don't you think so?

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 02:44 PM

My cell phone doesn't have an associated email address, unfortunately, which is why I am asking for direct MSN mobile support.

Long story, but general abuse and spamming made the mobile companies shut it down.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by billywoods1 on 03-06-2004 at 03:06 PM

What the hell is wrong with these people??

Mykel made a perfectly feasible suggestion. It's people like you who are screwing up these forums with complete rubbish. MakaveliThaDon, you seem to believe you can just come onto this forum and start ordering the admins around, apparently... and what's with all your insulting? Do the words 'forum rules' not apply to you? xt0rt and yo dawg X simply seem to be talking complete rubbish, which is equally against the rules.
Edit: that's all been split now, so my post is largely irrelevant. Oh well. :P

Anyway... Mykel, sorry, I don't know much about this, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but assume you were out some time, and one guy logged in and out 20 times (simply because he's annoying, or he was having computer trouble, or whatever). Wouldn't it get annoying? :P

Edit: could also cause a lot of server strain, unless there's some way of sending text messages from your computer, and I'm not sure if there is.

Edit 2: argh, that sounded stupid. :mipdodgy:

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Menthix on 03-06-2004 at 03:19 PM

The biggest problem is the fact that you need something to send sms from...

Option 1:This could be a plain mobile phone, problem: you need to have it connected to your phone. Even if you fix that, you'll need to find a way to make that mobile send the text you want. Beacuase every mobile is build different that's not do-able i think.
Option 2: Use an external SMS server... Like Patchou sets up his own sms server from where users can send their sms. But that costs alot of money, Patchou would need to earn that back by making you pay money for every sms you send :D
Option 3: Use some free webservice that allows you to send SMS for free... But site like that can dicide to stop their free services and when that happens Plus! sms wouldn't work anymore.

All with all it's just to hard to make this work right i think.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by bach_m on 03-06-2004 at 03:20 PM

dont some phones have mail adresses attached tot them, and u send an SMS to that addy, and it goes to the phone??? htats how it works in Canada

RE: RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Menthix on 03-06-2004 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
dont some phones have mail adresses attached tot them, and u send an SMS to that addy, and it goes to the phone?...

Good point, but like you said... Some. I think only few people use it out here (i speak for the Netherlands). The biggest group of people who use email on their mobile is probally business people, who aren't excactly MsgPlus!' main users.

But the idea is nice.
RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by GiantSpider on 03-06-2004 at 03:45 PM

yeah i'd like to see it. what i dnt like is idiot's like these messin up the forum. n wots wiv "no i cnt be done noe admin close the thread" stfu and get banned

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 03:53 PM

What's going on? What is wrong with my suggestion since you want it deleted? More detailed feedback as to the reasons for this not being possible, please.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 03:57 PM

In Denmark and the States you can get MSN to send messages to your cell phone for a fee, I use it a lot as it is, having a lot of friends outside of Denmark, and communicating via MSN is a chear alternative, besides, it enables cell-to-cell messaging if both have MSN mobile activated, so you don't even need to be online.

That's why I want to see MSN mobile notification added when certain events happen in the messenger.

RE: RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Menthix on 03-06-2004 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mykel
What's going on? What is wrong with my suggestion since you want it deleted?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your suggestion, it is just that some people were making useless replies... but i think they are already deleted right now. Anyway, don't worry you're fine.
RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 04:07 PM

Well if they log in and out like 20 times in a row yea that'd be annoying :) Which is why i think "Next time only" and "Always" should be two options. Or maybe "Once per X hours at the most" if possible.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 04:13 PM

Well since some mobiles use email as their notification, maybe that could be added as a notification option as well at one point. An Advanced Notification menu option in MSG Plus!3

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 04:18 PM

quote:
The biggest problem is the fact that you need something to send sms from...

All that is handled by MSN mobile on a mobile operator basis, direct subscription between you and your operator.

You pay per message you receive, and pay to your operator to have that ability. And you send at normal SMS/text message rates. So it's their sms server that gets used.

In Denmark you even get a telephone number that's 3 digits longer than normal, for all the contacts on your contact list, direct number to send messages to their MSN, and for you to be able to link a name in your cell phone to them.

A typical SMS on my end looks like this:

quote:
Tom
(1/1)
Here's the message Tom has sent.

toms@email.address.org
<Save the number so you can send messages when you want>

And followed by a long unique (for the contact person) phone number to send SMS'es back to.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by billywoods1 on 03-06-2004 at 04:40 PM

You want to pay to receive notifications of people signing in, even if you might be out (or... more annoyingly... in :P) at the time?

Edit: about the deleting posts, three spammers came here and completely screwed up every sane thread in existence. Been dealt with now though (praise Mnjul! :P).

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 05:06 PM

Not all people, just one for now. And I already do pay.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by billywoods1 on 03-06-2004 at 05:24 PM

But... you'd be paying per message.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-06-2004 at 05:30 PM

Yep.

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Federico on 03-06-2004 at 06:19 PM

As Mykel says, perhaps the best solution is the MSN mobile notification and the E-mail notification at the same time...
^o)

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 03-18-2004 at 06:15 PM

How do you know if a suggestion has been seen by the development team? Is there a better way than posting in this forum?

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by mordero on 10-27-2004 at 12:12 AM

What about this:
Set up commands that you could send from your phone to your MSN name (you send it to that "big long number")
1.One command you send asks messenger to give a list of people currently online (or away or whichever statuses you wish to check with that command) from a list you have previously choosen. The list can either be the front part of their emails (the part before the @) or their current names. (You wouldnt be able to select a lot of people because of a limit on the # of characters in a text). You could also set custom names for these contacts to make the list shorter: ie: Kasey -> Kas

2.Another command can give you a list of people who have currently sent you a message (maybe do a check to see if they have been sent within the last certain number of minutes). (And a 3rd command) And then be able to ask to see the messages from a certain contact (having the name trucicated and only the messages received to be sent, no auto message you might send back).

Yes, this might take up a lot of text messages/ SMS for your plan but it is better than having one sent to your phone every time someone says something or logs in.

If what I am saying isnt clear, sorry :( its been a long day

RE: Req: Notification events sent to MSN mobile by Mykel on 10-27-2004 at 09:53 AM

Aye, thank you.

I've learned to do without, though.

Expanding the notification abilities in MSGplus to specify a program to be run when the event fires would do the trick as well, and be more generic in nature.