Shoutbox

Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users (/showthread.php?tid=22009)

Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by frankiedaman on 03-02-2004 at 07:09 PM

Hi,

I have Windows XP and would like to install Messenger Plus (properly)

On my PC, there are 4 Windows XP usernames (as it's a family PC), 2 of them have an MSN passport. If I install Messenger Plus on my XP username it works OK with no problems. However if i switch usernames to the other XP username with MSN on it. It says the Messenger Plus has not been installed properly and that it should be reinstalled. So, if I go and reinstall it on the other XP name (not mine), it says that you can't change the registry and that you require Admin rights to install it. The weird thing is the other username does have Admin Rights (both users have full rights, none of them are limited users)

Please help because I don't want an error message coming up on my other username everytime i log in to XP with it.

Thanks very much!

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by GiantSpider on 03-02-2004 at 07:15 PM

you have to install it on the admined username. that shud sort it out

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by frankiedaman on 03-02-2004 at 08:14 PM

i tried installing it on my name. it works ok on my name, but not on other names. other names show an error that it wasn't installed properly, and it doesnt display any messenger plus options. all my windows XP names have admin rights tho, none of them are limited users. :S

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by CookieRevised on 03-02-2004 at 10:25 PM

Well, I've written 2 replies (about registry and stuff), but deleted them again, because I don't get it either.... It should work... The last thing I can think of is: does your or the other accounts have encryption enabled? Did you install Plus in the default directory (thus not in a subdirectory on your own account)?... But then again... this shouldn't interfair also... So... I don't get it... I think Patchou is the one that should solve this question :/ sorry...

PS: some people reported similar problems with multiple accounts and installlations, but there was never a solution given...

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by frankiedaman on 03-03-2004 at 04:32 PM

I installed Messenger Plus in C:\Program files\Messenger Plus! (the default directory) , so it should have installed it on all users. :S. All of my accounts have encryption enabled (i think so, how can i find out if my other accounts have encryption enabled). It's probably something to do with the registry.

Looks like I need Patchou to help me here....

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by Exca on 03-27-2004 at 09:45 PM

I have the problem too... seems like it's a regular problem in XP... (don't know about the other windows versions). Plus! works fine, but like as frankiedaman says: all the other accounts aren't "installed properly" and you can't install it again because "without admin-rights you can't access the registry", but all my other account's are admin-righted too... to solve the problem I had to delete all my other accounts:(. I think a lots of people got this problem too because they also got XP with multiple users... so I think most people just delete it and think it's a bad program... but bad tought! No plus! = No messenger...!!! please solve this. Exca.

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by Patchou on 03-28-2004 at 06:55 PM

The path where you install Messenger Plus! must be accessible to all your users. If you use encryption, it could explain the problem. It's like any other application you install :). I suggest you to install Messenger Plus! in a directory like C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!, it should solve the problem.

Patchou

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by Wabz on 03-28-2004 at 07:40 PM

You need to give MsgPlus permissions to run as Administrator

Well it's how I fixed it :P

Just click  Run as and save it

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by Patchou on 03-29-2004 at 12:54 AM

Oh... I didn't thought abourt admin priviledges for the registry. Well, in that case, just wait for Plus!3 to be released, it'S entirely compatible with limited accounts (you'll have to install Plus! in those accounts separatly).

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by father_ryobi on 04-14-2004 at 05:14 AM

I am having the same problem... I am running Windows XP Professional and the computer has 4 accounts (not counting the actual Administrator), all have a MSN Passport, and all have Administrator privilages. It installs fine on any account, but when you change to another user, it just says "It isn't installed properly on this account", and when I try to run the Setup program, it says that the account doesn't have Write-Access to the regristry (which is stupid, since the accounts are all Admin).

When I tried to run the program using the Run As... command, it caused trouble. It didn't install at all, and the account that "actually" installed it gave the same message (not installed properly), and when I went to the account that it was installed on (the windows made Administrator), it wasn't installed, but it didn't give the message. Also, that was the only account I could uninstall it from.

I also tried to install it in All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus to solve the problem, same thing happened.

Is there any way to solve this? I know it doesn't happen on Windows ME, because one of my relatives runs ME, and has two user accounts, and both run Plus! perfectly. Its a shame it won't work, because it really is a good program.

RE: Installing Messenger Plus! on multiple users by CookieRevised on 04-14-2004 at 08:22 AM

Like Patchou said in the post before you, this will be fixed in Messenger Plus! 3... be patient, Plus! 3 will be released soon...