Shoutbox

How come burning CD's is illegal - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How come burning CD's is illegal (/showthread.php?tid=22020)

How come burning CD's is illegal by TheFrank on 03-02-2004 at 10:49 PM

why is it that if i burn a cd and give it to sum one else its illegal, i dont understand:Sits screwed up, and i was supposed to do 3 cd's, and now i cant do them cuz its illegal. Could sum one plz tell me why its illegal!!!!!!!8-)

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by aNILEator on 03-02-2004 at 11:01 PM

copyright

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by bach_m on 03-02-2004 at 11:03 PM

if your making music CDs, then u (probably) dont even have a legal right to own the MP3s ur burning..... so why shud u be able to burn them??

whos actually stopping u?

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by CookieRevised on 03-02-2004 at 11:06 PM

to put it realy simple: Why are you burning CD's for those people when they should go to the store and buy them?

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by bach_m on 03-02-2004 at 11:26 PM

to be a bit more specific, burning a CD isn't illegal. you cna use them to make backups and distribu media that you own. but what you ARE putting on them is illegal

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by CookieRevised on 03-02-2004 at 11:41 PM

You can make 1 copy of a CD for your OWN use. And a copy means YOU have ALSO the original.

You can copy music to your computer for your OWN use. But again, only if YOU have the original ALSO.

You can NOT distribute CD's to others, unless they contain your OWN material which YOU created from scratch.

This also goes for ALL copyrighted material (CD's, MP3's, data-CD's, movies, etc... etc...)

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by dotNorma on 03-02-2004 at 11:41 PM

Now they have DVD Burners , and the dvd companies didnt like this :tongue: In the begining they took it to court to try to get it ruled out but it was ruled legal because people can have right to one legal copy. But there are people who go to BlockBuster (Movie rental store) and rent movies than burn them :-/ Anyway back on topic :P

The law says that you can use CD Burners to burn a copy of a cd and keep it as a legal copy (as long as the cd you burnt is yours) But as soon as you give that CD to somebody else you are breaking the law. I dont know what the law says about burning songs you download onto CD's but ill find out :tongue:

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by kao on 03-02-2004 at 11:44 PM

yeah its illegal and all but... whos actually going to stop you? i'm not sure the police are sitting at your window watching your CD Re-Writer for when you use it :rolleyes:

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by dotNorma on 03-02-2004 at 11:50 PM

I just relized that this was asking "How come CD Burning is Illegal" everyone said what was Illegal ,  nobody really answered his question.

Well...If you could just copy any CD and give it to a freind than that freind isnt going to have to pay for that CD and than the maker of that CD isnt going to make any money for that CD. So if you bought it , and copied it and you gave it 20 freinds than its only been paid for once and the rest are bassiclly stolen. And you know , if the makers of the CDs dont get any money they think "Well people didnt buy this one , must not be good" and they stop selling them and stop making them. Not to mention all their hard work is put to waste. Hope this explains it for yah :grin:

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by .blade// on 03-03-2004 at 12:05 AM

Hey Kao...you were right *points at police looking in Frank's window* They are! I can't believe they have nothing better to do ;)

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by TheFrank on 03-03-2004 at 02:04 AM

but still.... i dont get it, i want to make cd's and give them to ppl for :D$money$:D...but why would it be against the law, feck police are dumb these days, and law, and who ever made that rule...:wall:

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by bach_m on 03-03-2004 at 02:32 AM

taht you can't sell something that you dont own??? that someone has the rights to exclusively distribute their own work???

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by Sk3tch on 03-03-2004 at 02:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheFrank
but still.... i dont get it, i want to make cd's and give them to ppl for $money$
[sarcasm]
oooh well since you put it that way!

Stupid people..  they should work hard, spend all this time maing music and software.. and then give us all there hard work so we can make money off them :cheesy:

what is this this world comming to..   
[/sarcasm]

^o):P
RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by dotNorma on 03-03-2004 at 02:45 AM

So you are.....Stealing their work......Losing them money....Keeping the money they deserve......I understamd now :) If i like an artist I buy their CD , but occasonally If i like 1 song by the artist and nothing more i will download it. But i dont sell it for money

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by xsRush on 03-03-2004 at 02:50 AM

From this months APC magazine (Australian Personal Computer)
So this is for Australia only, but may give an idea about it.

quote:
Is it legal to make a backup copy of a CD you have paid for?
lllegal download sites often claim you're legally protected if caught downloading. But is this widely-circulted rumour true?
The short answer is no. Making MP3s or burning copies of CDs or movies you have paid for is not legal in Australia. "With one exception, there is no such thing as making a backup copy of anything [under copyright]," said intellectual property lawyer Micheal Williams.
The only time backup copies are okay is with computer software, although there are strict rules.
You are usually allowed one backup copy, which is not to be shared.
"There's a perception that because DVDs involve some elements of software [for playback on PCs], then it's the same as copying software," he said.
Another mistake people make is to say it's a crime to copy CDs. Williams says copyright breaches aren't technically a criminal offence unless you are selling or distributing the copies.

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by .blade// on 03-03-2004 at 03:03 AM

Frank...that is really stupid :S That's like copying an invention someone made an claiming it as yours e_e OF COURSE YOU CAN'T BURN AND SELL IT! :P

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by chungster on 03-03-2004 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
yeah its illegal and all but... whos actually going to stop you? i'm not sure the police are sitting at your window watching your CD Re-Writer for when you use it :rolleyes:

again whos gonna know and if u sell it to people for money u have that risk of them turning u in or that u get caught selling them so i would suggest just bruning them for personal use otherwise people will find out.
RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by lylesback2 on 03-03-2004 at 04:12 AM

just burn it dude... RIAA isn't gonna do some swat team shit cause your burning a CD... lol it's safe TO COME EXTENT... but i live in canada.. :P they'll never find my igloo

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by CookieRevised on 03-03-2004 at 08:12 AM

But I can report your post for suggesting that... RULES

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by tomfletcherman on 03-03-2004 at 07:23 PM

well you need to have a mutual relationship and whose going to find out anyway as long as u dont sell them. Don't sell them, I find that plain wrong, but just understand what i'm saying...:P

RE: How come burning CD's is illegal by MC Inferno on 03-03-2004 at 09:41 PM

My two cents: dont get cought (H)