Shoutbox

Downloading songs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Downloading songs (/showthread.php?tid=22140)

Downloading songs by Weyzza on 03-05-2004 at 04:31 AM

After RIAA gave a fine to a kid for downloading songs, do you still dare to download songs by peer to peer?

RE: Downloading songs by xt0rt on 03-05-2004 at 04:45 AM

im scared like hell of the RIAA, i have lots of music, i dont even use kazza anymore

RE: Downloading songs by WDZ on 03-05-2004 at 04:51 AM

I never downloaded many songs to begin with... I actually buy CDs. I have over 200 in my collection. :p

Sometimes there's a song I "gotta have" but I don't want any of the other songs on the CD, so I'll download it. The RIAA threat doesn't really change that... I doubt they'll waste their time with me. :p

RE: Downloading songs by xt0rt on 03-05-2004 at 04:54 AM

we dont really have enough money in my house to purchase cd's, so we rip em all!!! :D

RE: Downloading songs by WDZ on 03-05-2004 at 05:04 AM

-_-

People like you disappoint me. :p

RE: Downloading songs by Weyzza on 03-05-2004 at 05:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Sometimes there's a song I "gotta have" but I don't want any of the other songs on the CD, so I'll download it. The RIAA threat doesn't really change that... I doubt they'll waste their time with me. :p

I totally agree with you, WDZ.
It feels great when I get original CDs.
But don't you feel afraid if the RIAA catches you downloading songs someday, and ask you to pay $12,000 or more?

I ask all of you this poll because I am about to dl songs in a game. The songs are very cool, but I couldn't find the album containing those songs. And I bet there's no album containing those songs.
RE: Downloading songs by WDZ on 03-05-2004 at 05:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
But don't you feel afraid if the RIAA catches you downloading songs someday, and ask you to pay $12,000 or more?
If I was downloading hundreds of songs, sure.

The people who got sued had all downloaded a large number of songs, and many were sharing them. I think they deserved to be punished.

Until the RIAA starts going after people who only download small numbers of songs (which is a massive job), I'm not going to worry.
RE: Downloading songs by chungster on 03-05-2004 at 05:36 AM

how do they check? do they go into your shared folder or have the songs with them and anyone downloading from them is caught?

RE: Downloading songs by xt0rt on 03-05-2004 at 06:22 AM

ive got about 40 gigs of mp3, 20 gig of wma and about 80 gig of divx and svcd's

i cant afford to pay for this stuff, so i do the next best thing, steal it

RE: Downloading songs by WDZ on 03-05-2004 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xt0rt
ive got about 40 gigs of mp3, 20 gig of wma and about 80 gig of divx and svcd's
You'd better hope that no RIAA employees read the forums... :refuck:
RE: Downloading songs by wj on 03-05-2004 at 06:58 AM

Is WDZ Suggesting we turn him in just for fun and video tape the results and sell them to ABC for 3.2 million dollars?

RE: Downloading songs by WDZ on 03-05-2004 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Is WDZ Suggesting we turn him in just for fun and video tape the results and sell them to ABC for 3.2 million dollars?
Uhh... no, but good idea! :o :lol:
RE: Downloading songs by kangie on 03-05-2004 at 10:02 AM

well.... i never see the point in spending £15.99 on an album, when i can get the one song i actually want, for free :P cos not all good songs are buyable, or releasd as singles.... mmmm.... as for the ones where you pay, you wont get the range of obsure music as ya do on something like kazaa....

RE: Downloading songs by xt0rt on 03-05-2004 at 11:44 AM

i dont have any problem with stealing, music from artists, its not my problem the RIAA are stupid and dont offer artists insurance

RE: Downloading songs by bach_m on 03-05-2004 at 12:02 PM

you will NEVER get sued for downloading music. its not very traceable :Refuck: but you WILLL get sued for sharing copyrighted music. notice the diffference

RE: Downloading songs by Stigmata on 03-05-2004 at 12:46 PM

ill download it and if i like it ill buy the album........simple :)

RE: Downloading songs by Johnny_Mac on 03-05-2004 at 12:54 PM

I think for the amount I download match by buying. I buy all ranges as well, singles, album and compilations..

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-05-2004 at 12:58 PM

personally, i just buy cd's that i have heard on kerrang, mtv, mtv2 or one of my m8s have or sumit, i used to download them, but that was like april last year :-/ people moan bout them getting fined, but its there own fault, copyright laws, its stupid I just download videos off winmx (don't download it download Kazaa Lite) its crap, only good for videos, but some of the videos have spyware encrypted in them muahahahahaha :'( the latest 4 day long download did :'(

RE: Downloading songs by WDZ on 03-05-2004 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kangie
well.... i never see the point in spending £15.99 on an album, when i can get the one song i actually want, for free
I dunno what that price is in USD, but it's probably similar. $16 for one CD is pretty high IMO, so that's why I use the Amazon.com Marketplace a lot. You can get many CDs in new or 'like new' condition from private sellers for less than $10, and it's legal. :p
RE: Downloading songs by Tochjo on 03-05-2004 at 04:47 PM

I don't download much music, about a song per month, if there's one I really like. I don't download entire cds, and I don't really buy entire cds either. I've got just a couple, which I bought, but that's about it.

And by the way, I don't know the current exchange rates, but I'd say £15.99 is about $25.00.

RE: Downloading songs by Weyzza on 03-05-2004 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
you will NEVER get sued for downloading music. its not very traceable :refuck: but you WILLL get sued for sharing copyrighted music. notice the diffference
How if I download a copyrighted music? I'm using WinMX, and I doubt if it tells me whether the music is copyrighted or not.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
If I was downloading hundreds of songs, sure.

So, is that okay if I dl around 30 songs?
RE: Downloading songs by billywoods1 on 03-05-2004 at 05:02 PM

Bach_m is right. You can't get done for downloading, but you can for uploading. Just because of the nature of it. There's no real line between what's punishable and what isn't, I'd say downloading 100 songs all at once was punishable, but downloading one a day probably isn't.

Edit: oh, I didn't answer. :P People I know normally send me songs, and that's probably equally illegal, but you can't get done for it. Who honestly has never downloaded a song in their life? Then think about how full the prisons would be... it's not gonna happen.

Edit 2: voting, because the percentages are horrible, out of 9 votes. :P

RE: Downloading songs by kao on 03-05-2004 at 05:18 PM

crap i voted on wrong one :undecided:

RE: Downloading songs by GiantSpider on 03-05-2004 at 05:18 PM

Its just like recording off the TV or the radio. That's Illegal but who cares. They sell the videos and they've bin working to get the new DVD player that can record. But the police cudn't care less. there's more important stuff 2 deal wiv. U cnt dl the quality ov a CD. so but em.
And 1 for Tochjo. 1€ = (about) £0.70

RE: Downloading songs by billywoods1 on 03-05-2004 at 05:27 PM

GiantSpider, that's what worries the industry so much, you CAN download the quality of a CD, and better. And Tochjo was asking about dollars, I think. :P

RE: Downloading songs by GiantSpider on 03-05-2004 at 05:29 PM

but there alot of infected files out on the fasttrack network now. possibly more than the god files.

RE: Downloading songs by Weyzza on 03-05-2004 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
GiantSpider, that's what worries the industry so much, you CAN download the quality of a CD, and better. And Tochjo was asking about dollars, I think. :P

Did a little calculation here...

£15.99 = $29.19 :-o
RE: Downloading songs by Luthion on 03-05-2004 at 06:47 PM

I still downloading music and I will continue with it.

btw, for people who uses p2p networks: download PeerGuardian! (search google, first hit) It's a great program that stops "unwanted" IPs.

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-05-2004 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I don't download much music, about a song per month, if there's one I really like. I don't download entire cds, and I don't really buy entire cds either. I've got just a couple, which I bought, but that's about it.

And by the way, I don't know the current exchange rates, but I'd say £15.99 is about $25.00.
i just buy cds, but i l;ike getting them for free off of my freinds
RE: Downloading songs by Johnny_Mac on 03-05-2004 at 07:44 PM

Lately most of the popular songs i download are broken anyway. with so many bad files under popular songs name it makes me think WTF is the point, just go buy it.

RE: Downloading songs by Anubis on 03-05-2004 at 08:13 PM

Over the last 100 years we’ve been able to record music…and from those few radio stations came pirate ones that broadcasted other types of music and before you know it there’s 100’s of stations each playing different types of music…Just like people were afraid people would tape music off the radio the same people are worried about file-sharing, don’t they realise if you’re a fan you’ll buy the records…the P2P situation is just a mirror on the same radio taping situation of the 70’s

RE: Downloading songs by Johnny_Mac on 03-05-2004 at 08:18 PM

It has been proven that pop/rock sales are now down because of the P2P software. However Trance music sales have increased dramatically. I suppose it has it good and bad sides like everything. :undecided:

RE: Downloading songs by GoThiCpRiNcEsS on 03-07-2004 at 02:15 AM

me scared ? nope .. not one bit :) ... i'm new to it ... so .. i dont have that many ... but i think i'm legal .... seesh i hope i am .. haha .. why do i doubt it tho ?
hmmm ....

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-08-2004 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GoThiCpRiNcEsS
me scared ? nope .. not one bit :) ... i'm new to it ... so .. i dont have that many ... but i think i'm legal .... seesh i hope i am .. haha .. why do i doubt it tho ?
hmmm ....
:-/ thats a pretty lame view towards it, wat happens if you get caught? u won't care cuz your a wellard girl..

RE: Downloading songs by .blade// on 03-09-2004 at 03:41 AM

Well hey, if your caught and get fined $12,000 (even though I live in Canada, and that's only in the US) Then you'll get on those new Pepsi Commercials :refuck:

;)

RE: Downloading songs by bach_m on 03-09-2004 at 03:43 AM

i do download songs off Fasttrack and Gnutella, but i can honestly say i don't do it illegally.

i LOVE CANADA!!!!!!!!

we have laws that say were allowed. and supreme court rulings :D:D

RE: Downloading songs by le_jeune6 on 03-16-2004 at 12:35 AM

Hahaha...
Im form canada too and they have no rights to look in there, so i keep on downloading music...

But i still prefer buying good CDs legally

RE: Downloading songs by InsaneXterminator on 03-16-2004 at 02:40 PM

urr! wat the heck is this RIAAA?????? *-)

RE: Downloading songs by Johnny_Mac on 03-16-2004 at 05:33 PM

http://www.riaa.com/

They're against the use of P2P music sharing. :P

RE: Downloading songs by dovey_87 on 03-16-2004 at 09:42 PM

i can undastand them givin u a fine if u rippin cds n sellin them but if u using the songs personally then wots da problem, ive bin using kazaa and bearshare 4 ages n im gonna continue 2 do so 2 n so will ma m8s :banana:

RE: Downloading songs by saralk on 03-16-2004 at 09:51 PM

if someone takes a book, photocopies all the pages, and makes loads of exact replicas, then gives them away for free, understandably the author is going to get pretty annoyed.

Put that analogy on a song, and you can see why record companies and artists are getting pissed off. The only way to stop people from doing it, is by scaring them, or making the network incredibly slow, and flooding the network with fake copies of the song, hopefuly it will make KaZaA and such like so hard to use, people will give up.

If you want to download music, then do it, but dont complain when you get a letter from the record compaines fining you.

You can leagaly download music from many companies like Apple iTunes and dotmusic.

quote:
Originally posted by kangie
well.... i never see the point in spending £15.99 on an album, when i can get the one song i actually want, for free :P cos not all good songs are buyable, or releasd as singles.... mmmm.... as for the ones where you pay, you wont get the range of obsure music as ya do on something like kazaa....

£15.99? try www.cdwow.com

mod: removed double post.
RE: RE: Downloading songs by Johnny_Mac on 03-16-2004 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
It has been proven that pop/rock sales are now down because of the P2P software. However Trance music sales have increased dramatically. I suppose it has it good and bad sides like everything. :undecided:

What do you do in cases like that? Weight up the + rev and - rev sales and go with which one is better? :undecided:

Some would say its unfair on other aspects of the music industry.
RE: Downloading songs by dovey_87 on 03-16-2004 at 09:57 PM

yeah but theres no fun in doing it that way...theres no danger, no excitement lol and the more ppl tell us to stop doin it then the more they gonna do it jus 2 piss ppl off

exaxctly y pay £15 or $15 4 an album wen u only want 1 song??? its stupid wen u fink bout it

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-16-2004 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dovey_87
yeah but theres no fun in doing it that way...theres no danger, no excitement lol and the more ppl tell us to stop doin it then the more they gonna do it jus 2 piss ppl off

exaxctly y pay £15 or $15 4 an album wen u only want 1 song??? its stupid wen u fink bout it
£15 is better that bout ummm £1000??
RE: Downloading songs by dovey_87 on 03-16-2004 at 10:03 PM

so ur tellin me that u neva dwnload music, u neva record vids off ov mtv, u neva record off the radio and u neva record songs from CD to tape.

it dnt mata how u do it, its all copyright and they cnt put a stop to it so bother trying

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-16-2004 at 10:05 PM

ummm i don't use kazaa  (lieing) :dodgy: but recording mtv is just lame :refuck: i don't listen to the radio :) and its called a cd rewriter :) well in my case dvd rewriter :) ;) :lol:

RE: Downloading songs by Johnny_Mac on 03-16-2004 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dovey_87
its all copyright
Er... not all of what you listed is no a copyright infringment. For example if you own the oringal copy of a CD some companies allow you to make an "exact replica" as long as its isnt for profit making purposes.
RE: Downloading songs by InsaneXterminator on 03-17-2004 at 06:25 AM

u havent gote this RIAAA thingy here.

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-17-2004 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by InsaneXterminator
u havent gote this RIAAA thingy here.
thankyou for telling us... :dodgY:
RE: Downloading songs by azn angel on 03-20-2004 at 11:03 AM

maybe we would by the cd's if it wasnt so freaking expensive, im not gona spend $30.00(asutralian) on every singer i like! i have no money as it is

RE: Downloading songs by M-Head on 03-20-2004 at 12:11 PM

that's exactly my point azn angel, if music didn't cost as much, I would be able to buy it legally more often.

RE: Downloading songs by fluffy_lobster on 03-20-2004 at 12:14 PM

If you can afford a computer and the internet connection to be a regular here you can afford a few cds :-/  The latter are also timeless.

My problem isn't the money, but the fact that I simply prefer mp3s... cds are such a faff to go out and buy, and like other people have said, i like to try out stuff before I pay for it too.  I think it's downright rude and selfish to steal music on that basis though, so I'm gonna wait until itunes or napster comes out in the uk :D

RE: Downloading songs by tomfletcherman on 03-21-2004 at 10:08 AM

I can mostly find a person I know who has a cd I want anyway, and unless they put little tracker things that bleep there should be no problem lol. I don't think anyone should be admitting anything. I bet so many companies check on forums :P

RE: Downloading songs by dovey_87 on 03-22-2004 at 02:50 PM

i prefer mp3s too 4 da simple fact i have an mp3 player lol and not a portable cd player

RE: Downloading songs by user27089 on 03-22-2004 at 06:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
If you can afford a computer and the internet connection to be a regular here you can afford a few cds :-/  The latter are also timeless.

My problem isn't the money, but the fact that I simply prefer mp3s... cds are such a faff to go out and buy, and like other people have said, i like to try out stuff before I pay for it too.  I think it's downright rude and selfish to steal music on that basis though, so I'm gonna wait until itunes or napster comes out in the uk :D
maybe we've got napster and maybe we have our parents paying for the internet :refuck:
RE: Downloading songs by saralk on 03-22-2004 at 08:22 PM

well if u get all ur money from ur rents, just ask them to buy it for u, they can put limits on iTunes so u cant over spend

RE: Downloading songs by Concord Dawn on 03-22-2004 at 10:10 PM

Well, people who download music and sell it are being illegal, but the people who download music to listen to on their own computer aren't.

RE: Downloading songs by Pappapishu on 03-22-2004 at 11:06 PM

every one downloads songs to some extent, it's just sharing and if someone can find something illegal in that...

RE: Downloading songs by marissa on 03-23-2004 at 04:51 AM

c'mon guys, support your fav artists/bands :refuck:

RE: Downloading songs by Weyzza on 03-25-2004 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Music industry files more suits
RIAA going after people using university computer systems to download music

The recording industry filed lawsuits Tuesday against 89 people suspected of illegally sharing songs using the computer networks of 21 major universities, including Stanford University and UC Berkeley.

The Recording Industry Association of America filed 532 new lawsuits in the trade group's battle against individuals who share songs for free using programs like Kazaa. The new round of suits includes 13 people identified as John Doe defendants in three lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco.

In the latest round, the group is seeking the names of 89 individuals at universities around the country, including UC Berkeley, Stanford, Cal State Northridge and the University of Southern California. Other campuses include the University of Arizona and Loyola Marymount, Drexel, Georgetown, Vanderbilt and Villanova universities.

For complete news, go to http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c...04/03/24/MUSIC.TMP