Shoutbox

Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=22250)

Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by matty on 03-06-2004 at 05:42 PM

We at 9InchWorM need to know how many people actually use Windows Messenger. Last Night i was considering making two separete .exes one for Windows Messenger, that would use the Messenger Object thats Built into the Api, and one for MSN Messenger that uses little of Api.

[Image: attachment.php?tid=22250&pid=210483]
in 4.7 the api will store the contact name in a variable that you opened a window with, so in reality you would be able to check that user if they are offline or not. but in msn6 there isn't the option.

RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Menthix on 03-06-2004 at 06:48 PM

I see i am the first out of 6 who voted 4.7.

I still use 4.7 for the same reason why i have Windows XP in classic mode... Gaphical goodies can look great, but it's not functional and it isn't very friendly to my system recources. Oh well just my opinion, i guess someday i will have to swith to 6.x.
Supporting 4.7 is a great thing todo for the people who use it, i know they are there. But keep in mind that 4.7 is a very small piece of Messenger users... If you want to reach the mass and look on the longer view 6.x only isn't that bad.

I guess it comes down to how much work extra it would take you to develop 4.7 support.

RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Mike on 03-06-2004 at 06:52 PM

Well it looks like most of ppl is using MSN Messenger.But not all people got Windows XP here...

Off-topic: OMG!How do you hook messenger(actually i want to hook another program also made with vb(but it doesnt have menus...)) with vb??

Edit:Ummm...I just saw the module in there...Does it contain much code?

RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by matty on 03-06-2004 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Avon
Well it looks like most of ppl is using MSN Messenger.But not all people got Windows XP here...

Off-topic: OMG!How do you hook messenger(actually i want to hook another program also made with vb(but it doesnt have menus...)) with vb??

Edit:Ummm...I just saw the module in there...Does it contain much code?

the hook module is like 13 lines of code... its not a lot, but its all in the dll you use.

But See it would only be changing like 10 lines of code to develop it for msn 4.7 like instead of the main window being msnmsblclass it would be msblclass

see just a note we have our own web based installer we are making that will probably let you select which exe to download and install so like 9IE Block Checker for 4.7
9IE Block Checker for 6.x

something like that but we will see in the future
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Anubis on 03-06-2004 at 07:22 PM

Windows Messenger is business based...MSN is cool, fun, customisable and Plus!-Friendly

RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Mike on 03-06-2004 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
and Plus!-Friendly

:lol:

So you say that I cant hook another program but only msn?
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by tomfletcherman on 03-06-2004 at 07:33 PM

windows messenger 4.7 is not compatible with the protocol anymore:S

RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Menthix on 03-06-2004 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
windows messenger 4.7 is not compatible with the protocol anymore...

It is, i'm using it. Like mess.be says:
quote:
Older versions of MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are locked from use -- only MSN Messenger 5 or higher and Windows Messenger 4.7.2000 or higher will work.

RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by matty on 03-06-2004 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
windows messenger 4.7 is not compatible with the protocol anymore:S

If that is the case, then how was I looged on to Windows Messenger 4.7 and recieved a message 3/6/2004 at 2:24 AM?

so as you see, MSNP9 does accept Windows Messenger to log on,
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Choli on 03-06-2004 at 09:17 PM

Good program. And I agree with MenthiX: If you want to do it prefect add compatibility with both, but with only 6.x support you'll arrive to a lot of people.

quote:
Originally posted by ---+[Matty]+---
Last Night i was considering making two separete .exes one for Windows Messenger, that would use the Messenger Object thats Built into the Api, and one for MSN Messenger that uses little of Api.
can't you do it in one only exe?
RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by matty on 03-06-2004 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Good program. And I agree with MenthiX: If you want to do it prefect add compatibility with both, but with only 6.x support you'll arrive to a lot of people.
quote:
Last Night i was considering making two separete .exes one for Windows Messenger, that would use the Messenger Object thats Built into the Api, and one for MSN Messenger that uses little of Api.
can't you do it in one only exe?

I probably could , but then since the Messenger Object isn't available in msn 6 it would cause the app to shut down.
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Choli on 03-06-2004 at 10:17 PM

quote:
I probably could , but then since the Messenger Object isn't available in msn 6 it would cause the app to shut down.
I'm not very good with objects in VB, but you can declare it and if you're in 4.7 then make a set blablabla = new object and if not do nothing, right? maybe i'm wrong.... :rolleyes:
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by matty on 03-06-2004 at 11:35 PM

ya probably would work :) we will see tho, right now at this second Alec and I are having a programming war, I am making a ForumMessager thats open source

lol

RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Mike on 03-07-2004 at 09:41 AM

quote:
ya probably would work :) we will see tho, right now at this second Alec and I are having a programming war, I am making a ForumMessager thats open source

lol

Can I take part too? :lol:

So there are going to be 3 forum message makers??
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by ChiQ_2004 on 03-07-2004 at 10:15 AM

id like to help if thats ok

RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by matty on 03-07-2004 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ChiQ_2004
id like to help if thats ok

help with what? there is a team of programmers doing the messenger related stuff, I am doing a forum message maker just to spite Alec, lol. We are at war!

quote:
Originally posted by Avon
Can I take part too? :lol:

So there are going to be 3 forum message makers??

You can make one, but not join the war, its between Alec and I :P
So yes there will be 3, but mine is looking like the best so far :)

Edit:
Hes not as smart as I am, and wouldn't be able to code that part
RE: Windows Messenger vs. MSN Messenger by Mike on 03-07-2004 at 03:53 PM

quote:
(Even has a Close Tags button)

You should edit that...Dont give him ideas :P