Shoutbox

(request) Plugin tutorial - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: (request) Plugin tutorial (/showthread.php?tid=22416)

(request) Plugin tutorial by lazerfisk on 03-09-2004 at 05:20 PM

Hi.

Is there any Messenger Plus plugin tutorial online, or could someone write one? I think that would be appreciated by quite a lot of people :)

Regards.

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by RaceProUK on 03-09-2004 at 05:28 PM

I could write one, then submit it for approval. I was going to write a quick plugin-making guide for Plus! for my own site anyway, but as that's a GeoShitties site, and not many know about it, it doesn't get a load of traffic.

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by Chrono on 03-09-2004 at 05:42 PM

There's a tutorial in http://plugins.msgplus.net

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by RaceProUK on 03-09-2004 at 05:46 PM

Not really a true tutorial, I think. Anyway, I believe what laserfisk is looking for is a (layman's?) guide to the API, and some samples of what can be done with it. As I have said, I am happy to write such a guide.

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by CookieRevised on 03-09-2004 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
There's a tutorial in http://plugins.msgplus.net
yep, http://www.msgplus.net/index.php?view=plugins to be more precise...

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Not really a true tutorial, I think. Anyway, I believe what laserfisk is looking for is a (layman's?) guide to the API, and some samples of what can be done with it. As I have said, I am happy to write such a guide.
By all means, do so :) and post it on the forums for revision ;)
RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by RaceProUK on 03-09-2004 at 07:12 PM

The documentation is not strictly a tutorial, but it is still the best place to start. While my guide will cover the API, it won't cover all the details. However, it will make up for this by guiding the reader tyhrough the MPPlugin samples, and then moving onto useful tasks.

Addendedendedendumdum: I can write a number of VB samples, but my experience with C++ is lesser, and I would be grateful if people can send me/post here C++ code samples.

Addendedendedendumdum 2: Why can't I attach PDF files? O well, you can get it from my GeoCities site, http://www.geocities.com/raceprouk/msn/plugins/guide_mp_plugins.pdf.

Addendedendedendumdum 3: I've now started adding code samples, starting with Registry access. I've replaced the version on the website as a result.

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by CookieRevised on 03-09-2004 at 08:54 PM

"Addendedendedendumdum" :lol:

Anyways, I had a quicklook at the PDF, very nice indeed... (y)
But it could use some very small samples for each function (just 1 line example of how to use the function)

And about the registry-code samples: Is it in the scope of the tutorial to give these? I mean it has very little to do with making plugins. And many different registry handling code samples for both VB and C can be found on the web...

(damn, again I have a comment on something someone made, but I don't mean this to be harsh or something, just positive critics to make it as good as possible ;) that's me :p)

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by Hah on 03-09-2004 at 10:20 PM

That tutorial looks like its going to be an excellent peice of work once it is finished.
If you like I will happily proof read it for you, It may not seem so on here because Im very lazy on forums and msn, but I can have very good english when I want to, so let me know. I can also point out some things which bugged me when I was new to programming plugins - I like to think I have the basics well and truely covered by now :D.

Tah,

Hah

EDIT: 100th post :banana: :pound:

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by RaceProUK on 03-09-2004 at 10:55 PM

With the code samples, I was aiming at providing examples of code for tasks that plugins may do. My sound plugins read the registry, for instance. Then again, examples of how to use the functions may be more useful.

I'll let you know when I've got a new version up.

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by CookieRevised on 03-09-2004 at 11:10 PM

yup indeed, I meant new things like an example of showing a toast, reacting to a command, etc...  things that are new when you write a plus plugin, how to handle it...

The rest is up to the imagination of the programmer. (otherwise, you must also provide examples of how to read a textfile for example, or to show a form, etc... , which isn't in the scoop of the tutorial I guess... if you catch my drift ;))

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by Choli on 03-09-2004 at 11:16 PM

quote:
O well, you can get it from my GeoCities site, http://www.geocities.com/raceprouk/msn/plugins/guide_mp_plugins.pdf.
why can't i download the file?? dodgy geocities.... can anyone send me/attach a copy of it, please?
RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by CookieRevised on 03-10-2004 at 01:41 AM

-- OFF TOPIC --

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
why can't i download the file?? dodgy geocities.... can anyone send me/attach a copy of it, please?
Copy paste the url in a empty browser window... :D
RE: RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by lazerfisk on 03-10-2004 at 10:02 AM

quote:

A laymans guide would be sweet. The best thing to do is to write a guide that EVERYONE can use. How about doing it like the "for dummies"-books... with hintboxes for the newbies? :)

I looked at the PDF. Useful :D Thank you. Good thing might be to wrap it up with a few sample projects and some more docs in a zip? :)

This might be a good place to fish developers for another project... Hm... Do you hate spam as much as i do? Check out http://dev.noccy.com :) I'm talking about Chihuahua, the opensource e-mail client. It will probably be complete enough to go through alpha-testing within a few weeks :)
RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by bach_m on 03-10-2004 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lazerfisk

A laymans guide would be sweet. The best thing to do is to write a guide that EVERYONE can use. How about doing it like the "for dummies"-books... with hintboxes for the newbies?

but programming needs a bit of knowledge, so theres no point is making this your first programing venture

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by Choli on 03-10-2004 at 01:01 PM

the file is very nice and i think it'll be useful to many developers ;)

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
-- OFF TOPIC --
Copy paste the url in a empty browser window... :D
thanks, Cookie
RE: RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by lazerfisk on 03-10-2004 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
quote:
A laymans guide would be sweet. The best thing to do is to write a guide that EVERYONE can use. How about doing it like the "for dummies"-books... with hintboxes for the newbies?
but programming needs a bit of knowledge, so theres no point is making this your first programing venture

That is true. But i didnt mean "teach them programming". More like "Teach them how to include the messenger API if they dont know how to" :) That kind of basic stuff...

I've got a suggestion. Im gonna upload some of my devdocs onto http://dev.noccy.com soon. take a look at those, and if you like the layout and visual appearance of them just send me the word document, and i'll do the formatting and include the noob-comments and so :)
RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by RaceProUK on 03-10-2004 at 07:25 PM

There's a new version up, still at http://www.geocities.com/raceprouk/msn/plugins.htm. This time, I haven't posted a direct link, as there is now a support package (5KB zip file) containing the VB source to my AllYourBase plugin v2, as well as a 10-minute ToastsGalore in C++. Both these are covered in the guide, and together they cover all the functions available.

As a side note, should I include an example that utilises the Unicode capabilities of C++? Also, if anyone has written a plugin that uses the Messenger objects Plus! provides, I'd be very grateful if I could get some sample code to put in the guide. All contributors of code will be fully credited.

Oh yes, I have tested the code; it all works. In fact, some of you may have AllYourBase v2 installed.

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by Choli on 03-10-2004 at 07:49 PM

quote:
As a side note, should I include an example that utilises the Unicode capabilities of C++?
yes, if you can. the more you include the better docummentation you get :)

btw, nice examples
RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by lazerfisk on 03-11-2004 at 11:18 AM

Sweet :) Just gonna get my comp at home up and running and i'm on the road ;) Yay :)

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by lazerfisk on 03-21-2004 at 07:55 AM

Question: Can i send a /command as returnvalue to a command?

Question #2: Can i receive all the text unfiltered in any way? :)

RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by Choli on 03-21-2004 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Question: Can i send a /command as returnvalue to a command?
i think that's not possible (however never tried to do it, so you can test)
quote:
Question #2: Can i receive all the text unfiltered in any way?
you only receive the text sent by plugins. Those texts are the character identifying that that is to be processed by a pluging (that allways is nCCNotify=0x12), the 5 characters identifying the plugins and the text. When Plus calls your ReceiveNotify function, it passes you several parameters in which you have the 5 characters identifier and the rest of the text.
RE: RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by SJr. on 08-06-2004 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
yup indeed, I meant new things like an example of showing a toast, reacting to a command, etc...  things that are new when you write a plus plugin, how to handle it...

The rest is up to the imagination of the programmer. (otherwise, you must also provide examples of how to read a textfile for example, or to show a form, etc... , which isn't in the scoop of the tutorial I guess... if you catch my drift ;))

can you make one tutorial explaining all those things?

tnks for any help...
RE: (request) Plugin tutorial by CookieRevised on 08-09-2004 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SJr.
can you make one tutorial explaining all those things?

tnks for any help...
please read this thread before bumping old threads, the link is given many times...
http://www.geocities.com/raceprouk/msn/plugins.htm
and also, a more updated version of the pdf can be found here: http://www2.cs.man.ac.uk/~morleyd3/mp_api.pdf