Shoutbox

Norwegian translation correction - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Translation (/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+----- Thread: Norwegian translation correction (/showthread.php?tid=22451)

Norwegian translation correction by CommandorX on 03-10-2004 at 08:44 PM

Hi!

I have downloaded the latest norwegian translation file, and I am very pleased with all the corrections made. Yet I cannot get my eyes off these mistakes which still exist.

1:

Section: [IMWindowMenu]
Current text: Ping=Send en Ping foresp&ørsel
Fixed text: Ping=Send en Ping-foresp&ørsel

2:

Current text: ContactOperations=Kontakt &handlinger
Fixed text: ContactOperations=Kontakt&handlinger

3:

Section: [PrefDlg.SoundsConfig]
Current text: Title=Lyd Konfigurasjon
Fixed text: Title=Lydkonfigurasjon

Please, anyone who speaks norwegian, confirm these modifications.

Thank you,

CommandorX

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Leif on 03-11-2004 at 11:10 AM

Confirmed!  :D

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 03-21-2004 at 01:54 PM

Hmm. They've closed the update thread for Norwegian translation updates. Well - here's the last corrected translation. (rev7)

Thanks for letting me know.

:Admin: Would it be possible to have a thread where I can post the most rescent languagefile - kept open?

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Choli on 03-21-2004 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jOWE
:Admin: Would it be possible to have a thread where I can post the most rescent languagefile - kept open?
usually translations threads are closed when Patchou takes the file and includes it in the current release.
Just make a new thread, if the one with the last update has been closed.
RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 03-21-2004 at 11:56 PM

Ok. Didn't know he followed the updates.

Thanks.

RE: Norwegian translation correction by NeoRevan on 03-30-2004 at 01:48 PM

Section: [Dialog.ImpExport]
Current: ExpTextScreen2=Vennligst velg filen du vil lagre til. hvis filen allerede eksisterer vil den bli erstattet. OBS: Av sikkerhetsmessige årsaker blir ikke passord lagret.
Fixed: ExpTextScreen2=Vennligst velg filen du vil lagre til. Hvis filen allerede eksisterer, vil den bli erstattet. OBS: Av sikkerhetsmessige årsaker blir ikke passord lagret.

Eg e en ond faen for å rapportere noe så smått, men kommafeil og glemt capital letter kan vi jo ikke ha noe av.... ;)

RE: Norwegian translation correction by KeyStorm on 03-30-2004 at 04:04 PM

I can imagine this is a correction, isn't it?
Well, there's no need to post corrections right now because you can't know if the string you are correcting will even appear in the next version. This string you are correecting might not exist anymore in next version, so don't bother to correct the errors now.
Please, be patiant and wait a couple of weeks for further corrections. :)

Edit: 8-) -> conditional

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Choli on 03-30-2004 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
However, and luckily, the string you corrected still appears exactly in MP!3
but Patchou may change it.
also, you shouldn't say that, keystorm
RE: Norwegian translation correction by KeyStorm on 03-30-2004 at 05:17 PM

Yes, you're right, i edited the post because it could be misleading...
I mean the strings could possibly change as expected with all visual improvements, so it's better to wait... ;)

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-01-2004 at 11:36 AM

I don't agree at all.
If you first notice an error, that error is going to haunt your dreams until it's fixed. Some of us can't stand to use a program with spelling errors in, and as long as the translators are willing to update the languagefile - everything should be ok.
Further more; Commenting (and correcting) bad spelling as they pop up will lead to a better translation for the next full release, which will lead to happier users.

So give me all your corrections - I appreciate the input . I'll study them, and fix where fixing is needed :)

rev8 attached.

RE: Norwegian translation correction by KeyStorm on 04-01-2004 at 02:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jOWE
will lead to a better translation for the next full release
I can't keep from agreeing with you. I'm also a translator and things have to get corrected as soon as it's possible. But attaching now the translation won't help the error now, there's not gonna be any other MP!2 version to include this file.
I just mean it's ok, post corrections, but wait until the new version is sent to you to revise and correct.
You're probably gonna have to rewrite many entries. And many corrections might not even be needed.
I don't want to argue about posting corrected files or not, I just said you don't need to do this right now, corrections can wait until you have your TransBeta. ;)
RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-01-2004 at 04:56 PM

The file will not be included, no - but users of this forum can get the latest translation, and don't have to be buggered by that annoying, flashing error they spotted. It may only apply to a couple of users (the ones reading the forums) - but a couple of happier faces, IS a couple of happier faces :)

I know I don't need to, but it helps the flow of my day ;)
Other than that; I find it very interresting how others would translate the same text. I learn alot from it, and learning keeps me going.

RE: Norwegian translation correction by KeyStorm on 04-01-2004 at 05:13 PM

You're a very concerned translator, I greet. I'm happy to meet generous people from time to time :)

RE: Norwegian translation correction by NeoRevan on 04-01-2004 at 05:51 PM

hes Norwegian, aint he? Then can you expect anything else from such a great race of men? XD

I got some more things about translation to add, this would suit in nicely as buttons and names will appear in MP3:
After the name of a button, put a -
Example: Hvis du ønsker å bytte til ett annet språk, klikk på Bytt knappen.
Where IMHO I think it would look better if it read: Hvis du ønsker å bytte til ett annet språk, klikk på Bytt-knappen.

In english it is written without the -, hence its easy to not use it in Norwegian translation.
Believe me, as a Norwegian translator for eMule Plus, I know ;) (you should see the post of corrections I made after seeing my translation in action the first time XD)

This issue aint a spelling/grammatical error as such, it just kinda bugs me as now we could read it as "Bytt [pause] knappen", like the split word Lyd Innstillinger would be read as "Lyd [pause] Innstillinger" in the langfile included in MP2
geddit? :P

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-02-2004 at 05:39 PM

I agree. It does look better this way.
I'll keep that in mind when I go through the translation - saved in my request.txt file :)

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-10-2004 at 02:36 PM

TN: Have looked over your suggestion, and wondered how you'd implement this if the button name is made out of two words.
Bytt-knappen looks fine, but how about the "Legg til" button?

Any thoughts?

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Leif on 04-10-2004 at 03:17 PM

As far as I can see, you've got two choices:
Legg til-knappen
or
knappen Legg til
Both look OK to me. But then I'm Swedish ... ;)

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-10-2004 at 08:27 PM

Hehe.

Legg til-knappen sounds to me like; Legg TIL-knappen.
As if "til" is the name of the button.

"knappen Legg til" doesn't work in Norwegian.

Have thought of using [] around button names;
[Legg til] knappen, but I'm not sure I like that either :S

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Leif on 04-10-2004 at 08:33 PM

'Legg til'-knappen?
"Legg til"-knappen?

[Legg til]-knappen looks a bit weird.

But then ...

RE: Norwegian translation correction by NeoRevan on 04-11-2004 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Legg til-knappen sounds to me like; Legg TIL-knappen.
As if "til" is the name of the button.
True, but I think most people are smart enough to understand that "Legg til" is the name of the button, especially if (dette e gullkornet) you start the name of the button with Capital Letter.
See theres a difference between
legg til-knappen
legg Til-knappen
Legg Til-knappen
eh?
Besides, legg TIL-knappen makes no sense in any language, so methinks thats the best way.

quote:
Have thought of using [] around button names;
[Legg til] knappen, but I'm not sure I like that either :S
That would IMO look abit shit.
Using quotes as well, as it looks like we are trying to feed it to them with a teaspoon or something.
Using capital letters methinks will indicate well enough that thats the name of the button.

Then if it does look shit theres always the next version ;)
RE: Norwegian translation correction by Leif on 04-11-2004 at 02:09 PM

Jag gjorde en liten sökning under Information i Hjälp- och supportcenter i XP på "-knappen":
Två mönster:
1. Start-knappen
2. knappen Sök skrivare
Men INTE Sök Skrivare med versalt S i Skrivare (detta är det amerikanska skrivsättet. Är det också så i norska?).

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-13-2004 at 12:02 AM

I installed Norwegian W2K for a client yesterday - didn't find any references to buttons, but I noticed they've used capitol letters to describe progress, menu names etc. I'm not so sure if this is a good/correct translation, but keeping it close to MS translation would make it more intuitive.

I also noticed that we've skipped something;
In "Plus!\Instillinger\Lyder" there's something like this: En liste over alle lydene kan du finne i "Plus!\Send Command\Sounds" menyen..." - corrected this.

changes:
Plus!\Send Command\Sounds > Plus!\Send kommando\Lyder
Bytt knappen > Bytt-knappen
Legg til knappen > Legg Til-knappen

Søk skrivere would be the correct translation, but I feel that correct Norwegian doesn't always reflect the best translation. Our language wasn't  made to be used in the computerworld, if you ask me - It's our job to twist it around so that users would understand it with as little thinking as possible.

update: ..and here's the file (rev8.1) :)

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Axy on 04-27-2004 at 12:06 PM

Some corrections?!?

BEFORE:
[Uninstall]
Title=Messenger Plus! - Installasjon

ScreenStart=Dette programmet vil avinstallere Messenger Plus!. Hvis du installerte sponsor programmet, vil det også bli avinstallert.\n\nTrykk... osv

ScreenOK=Avinstallasjonen av Messenger Plus! var vellykket. Noen filer var låste, og vil bli slettet ved neste omstart.\n\nDu kan installere Messenger Plus! igjen når som helst - med eller uten sponsor programmet... osv

SponsorCorrupt=Installasjonspakken for sponsorprogrammet er ødelagt!\nDu får denne meldingen fordi en eller flere filer er slettet, enten manuelt eller av et antirekalme -program. Dette hindrer avinstalleringsprogrammet i å gjøre jobben sin... osv

AFTER:
[Uninstall]
Title=Messenger Plus! - Installasjon

ScreenStart=Dette programmet vil avinstallere Messenger Plus!. Hvis du installerte sponsorprogrammet, vil det også bli avinstallert.\n\nTrykk... osv

ScreenOK=Avinstallasjonen av Messenger Plus! var vellykket. Noen filer var låste, og vil bli slettet ved neste omstart.\n\nDu kan installere Messenger Plus! igjen når som helst - med eller uten sponsorprogrammet... osv

SponsorCorrupt=Installasjonspakken for sponsorprogrammet er ødelagt!\nDu får denne meldingen fordi en eller flere filer er slettet, enten manuelt eller av et antireklameprogram. Dette hindrer avinstalleringsprogrammet i å gjøre jobben sin... osv

Thank you!:grin:

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 04-27-2004 at 02:20 PM

Aj.
How could we have overlooked "antirekalme"? :D

We are currently translating for the next version now - will implement your changes.

I think "anti-reklameprogram" sounds better than "antireklameprogram", so I will change this one to.

Thanks for your input.

edit: Changed it for current version also. rev8.2 attached.

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Leif on 05-11-2004 at 10:32 PM

I found a lot of minor things in the Norwegian translation (for MP!3). Interested in seeing them? Do I send them to you or do I publish them here?

RE: Norwegian translation correction by jOWE on 05-12-2004 at 11:19 AM

Yes, I know there still are quite a few things that needs modification. I appreciate any input you might have.

If you could mail them to me, that would be great.

RE: Norwegian translation correction by Kian on 05-12-2004 at 01:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CommandorX
Hi!

I have downloaded the latest norwegian translation file, and I am very pleased with all the corrections made. Yet I cannot get my eyes off these mistakes which still exist.

1:

Current text: Ping=Send en Ping foresp&ørsel
Fixed text: Ping=Send en Ping-foresp&ørsel

2:

Current text: ContactOperations=Kontakt &handlinger
Fixed text: ContactOperations=Kontakt&handlinger

3:

Section: [PrefDlg.SoundsConfig]
Current text: Title=Lyd Konfigurasjon
Fixed text: Title=Lydkonfigurasjon

Please, anyone who speaks norwegian, confirm these modifications.

Thank you,

CommandorX

I think this has been a topic quite a few times... Sometimes it is hard to find out if the word should be splitted or merged :D - we have had the same problem in the Danish translation :D a lot of times :D

But it seems like you have merged an corrected the Norw. version very well

// Kian
Another og those stupid Danes