Shoutbox

you can report bugs now - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: you can report bugs now (/showthread.php?tid=22519)

you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-12-2004 at 04:48 AM

You can disregard my "don't report bugs" instructions now. My to-do list is pretty short, so does anyone have any forum bugs to report that haven't been fixed yet? I'll fix almost anything, except for stuff that:

a) I don't know how to fix.
b) is so difficult to fix it's not worth it.
c) I classify as a "limitation."

:P

RE: you can report bugs now by DXtremz on 03-12-2004 at 06:50 AM

Right now...look at General Chat's last post...its blank it just shows "Yesterday 10:24 PM (chungster)  »  "
with no last post..:-/

edit: nvm surfi said its fixed in new version

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-12-2004 at 10:19 AM

First of all, WDZ you did a great work, congratulations. :clap:

There aren't many things to be fixed. Just now I only see this:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/usercp.php?action=profile
The background colors of "MSN Address:" and "Birthday:" rows are the same (not alternating). The same happens with "Avatar Caption:" and "Away Status:" and with "Away Reason:" and "Return Date:".

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/usercp.php?action=options
The same with "Posts per Page:" and "Threads per Page:"

Those are just trifles, but this you can fix them ;) :

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
a) I don't know how to fix.
b) is so difficult to fix it's not worth it.
c) I classify as a "limitation."
a) you know how to fix them
b) it's very easy (isn't for you? :P)
c) limitation? :mipdodgy: blah! :P
RE: you can report bugs now by GiantSpider on 03-12-2004 at 04:23 PM

A "home" button nxt 2 irc chat would be nice plz DZ

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-12-2004 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
A "home" button nxt 2 irc chat would be nice plz DZ
already said before because if was there before the update... wdz said noone uses it: you can click the logo (at the left) that is bigger or clic the "Messenger Plus! forums" link too.
RE: you can report bugs now by GiantSpider on 03-12-2004 at 04:56 PM

Well I did. but the needs of the many outway the needs of the few

RE: you can report bugs now by kao on 03-12-2004 at 05:37 PM

when u get a new PM it says "you have recieved a new private message, click ok to read it" and then it does nothing... shouldnt it redirect? *-) (firefox)

RE: you can report bugs now by Wabz on 03-12-2004 at 05:40 PM

Can we get rid of the annoying Javascript forum hider things  there doing my head in already :P

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-12-2004 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
when u get a new PM it says "you have recieved a new private message, click ok to read it" and then it does nothing... shouldnt it redirect? *-) (firefox)
that works fine for me. Avant here. (it opens the inbox folder in the window where you see the popup)
RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-12-2004 at 07:00 PM

When hovering over names from users, the colour of the underline should be the same colour as the name of the user, i.e. red for super moderators and green for administrators.

This works correctly in all places when you're using Internet Explorer, but it screws up in Mozilla. I now always see the blue underline (matching colour with normal members), even for super mods and admins.
Places this occurs are the member name next to a post, a member name in the member list and, if I remember correctly, also in the Who's online list.

I'm pretty sure this can be fixed: before the upgrade, the underline colour was correct (i.e. green for admins) for the member name next to a post (and also in the member list), although it did screw up in the Who's online list back then already.

I am pretty sure I once posted about the wrong colour for member names in the Who's online list before, but can't seem to find the thread again...

RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-12-2004 at 07:09 PM

1. In threads I posted I can see admin/mod options like the checkbox Close Thread next to the Quick Reply textbox, and the list of admin/mod options below the Forum Jump list and just above the banner in the right bottom corner; well, you know what I mean.

They're just there, don't work, but I shouldn't be able to see them at all, as far as I'm concerned.

2. When you quote a post, RE: will be added in front of the subject, which can lead to things like RE: RE:. Intentional or buggy?

Personal note: I don't like the gray background color of the confirmation pages (like for posting a post). I vote for white.

By the way, nice work placing the "edited by" text a bit lower below the post ;)

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-12-2004 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
First of all, WDZ you did a great work, congratulations. :clap:
Thanks. :)

I'll add the profile/options bgcolors to my bug list.

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Do you have a popup blocker enabled? That would probably stop javascript from opening a new window. I dunno what do to about that... :p

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Can we get rid of the annoying Javascript forum hider things  there doing my head in already :P
You mean the expand/collapse? They're not javascript... :-/ They seem to work well for me, and they might be useful for members who aren't interested in certain categories.

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
When hovering over names from users, the colour of the underline should be the same colour as the name of the user, i.e. red for super moderators and green for administrators.
I believe I replied to a report about that already. It's a limitation.

quote:
1. In threads I posted I can see admin/mod options like the checkbox Close Thread next to the Quick Reply textbox, and the list of admin/mod options below the Forum Jump list and just above the banner in the right bottom corner; well, you know what I mean.
You're supposed to see the admin options menu, because some of the options (Delete thread) are available to thread posters.

quote:
2. When you quote a post, RE: will be added in front of the subject, which can lead to things like RE: RE:. Intentional or buggy?
I believe it's intentional.

quote:
Personal note: I don't like the gray background color of the confirmation pages (like for posting a post). I vote for white.
The gray is better, IMO, and it's actually this theme's default background color. You can see it on the edges of the window. It's automatically added by the theme parser thingy.

quote:
By the way, nice work placing the "edited by" text a bit lower below the post ;)
Did you notice that I actually fixed the "edited on today" thing? ;)
RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-12-2004 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Did you notice that I actually fixed the "edited on today" thing? ;)
No, nice work :D
All my reports seem to be intentional or limitations...
Makes me wonder why it did work with beta4 then :dodgy::tongue:
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-12-2004 at 09:00 PM

Because Beta4 had bugs and they're fixed now. :refuck: You're seeing things the way they were intended to be... :p

RE: you can report bugs now by Wabz on 03-12-2004 at 10:05 PM

quote:
So I actually liked the bugs? :P

i liked it like that as well :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
You mean the expand/collapse? They're not javascript...  They seem to work well for me, and they might be useful for members who aren't interested in certain categories.

Well what about an option to turn them off :refuck:

I don't like them plus they proberly make the boards slower as they use a query :P

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-12-2004 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
I don't like them plus they proberly make the boards slower as they use a query :P
No, they don't use a query, they use cookies.

And the only things you see are nice little 11x11px images... :-/
RE: you can report bugs now by Wabz on 03-12-2004 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
No, they don't use a query, they use cookies.

And the only things you see are nice little 11x11px images... :-/

Oh well I'll live with them :'(

I wont use them though!  And theres also something else different on the frontpage to do with forum layouts i just cant think hwat it is :|

RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-12-2004 at 10:20 PM

WDZ removed the icons which you could click to quickly post a new thread in that forum, could that be it?

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-12-2004 at 10:29 PM

The alternating background colors used to go vertically; now they're horizontal. ;)

BTW, I didn't remove the "quick thread" buttons; the MyBB developers did.

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-12-2004 at 10:45 PM

quote:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/usercp.php?action=profile
The background colors of "MSN Address:" and "Birthday:" rows are the same (not alternating).
Fixed.

quote:
and with "Away Reason:" and "Return Date:"
Fixed.

quote:
The same happens with "Avatar Caption:" and "Away Status:"
quote:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/usercp.php?action=options
The same with "Posts per Page:" and "Threads per Page:"
Those aren't bugs, actually. The alternating colors are supposed to be "reset" with each category.

Anyone else have bugs to report? A spelling error? Some option/feature not working? :p
RE: you can report bugs now by GiantSpider on 03-12-2004 at 10:47 PM

uhm alot have probably sed this b4 but wen the PM box cums up nothin happens. im using IE

RE: you can report bugs now by Johnny_Mac on 03-12-2004 at 11:31 PM

quote:
The alternating background colors used to go vertically; now they're horizontal. ;)
There seems to be no theme to that though. See attachment.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=213376]

Wihte, grey, white, grey, white, white, grey, grey. :undecided:

May this have something to do with user permissions to other forums? :undecided:

quote:
BTW, I didn't remove the "quick thread" buttons; the MyBB developers did.
(y) They sucked. :P
RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-13-2004 at 12:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Those aren't bugs, actually. The alternating colors are supposed to be "reset" with each category.
reset to what color? white or grey? some categories start with white others with grey. that happens in options/profile and also in the home page, as you can see in J_Mac's screen shot

I think colors shouldn't be reset with each category.
RE: you can report bugs now by lizard.boy on 03-13-2004 at 01:41 AM

just thought of a workaround for the pm popup.. :tongue: make it open the same page

RE: you can report bugs now by Chrono on 03-13-2004 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
make it open the same page
No way! it works fine, if ur browser does not support it, use another one :refuck: :lol:

RE: you can report bugs now by lizard.boy on 03-13-2004 at 02:57 AM

screw that chromo :D i just click ok on the js popup and go up and middle click my inbox

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-13-2004 at 04:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
There seems to be no theme to that though. See attachment.
Once again, the alternating is reset with each new category.

quote:
I think colors shouldn't be reset with each category.
The category headers completely break the "flow" though... it doesn't matter... :S

quote:
reset to what color? white or grey? some categories start with white others with grey. that happens in options/profile and also in the home page, as you can see in J_Mac's screen shot
The category start color alternates too... :p

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
just thought of a workaround for the pm popup.. :tongue: make it open the same page
I'd do that, but only if the browser blocks the popup. Does anyone know a good way [in javascript] to tell if the browser blocks it? :-/
RE: you can report bugs now by sock on 03-13-2004 at 05:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Once again, the alternating is reset with each new category.
In Johnny's screenshot, the "General" category starts with a white background while the three other categories start with a grey background... :-/
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-13-2004 at 05:48 AM

So it seems inconsistent. It's still not a bug. :p

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-13-2004 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The category headers completely break the "flow" though... it doesn't matter...
The category start color alternates too...
that's too dodgy :mipdodgy:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
So it seems inconsistent. It's still not a bug.
yeah, it is :P

well leave as you want, but I'd put it without caring categories... ie: the first row white the 2nd grey 3rd white etc... and the alternating continues even if a new caterogy appears.
RE: you can report bugs now by billywoods1 on 03-13-2004 at 03:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
The category start color alternates too...
:lol: Is this just an excuse not to fix it?

Anyway... for some reason when I logged on today I got the 'Earth' theme for the forums (which, may I point out, is bloody ugly). Why was this? I used to use myXP-Blue or something similar to that... can't remember why, I think the font was smaller and it looked generally more spacious... and now when I changed it back it seemed very slightly different, the margins round the sides of the white box were different on the left and right... any ideas what's wrong? :P

Edit: blah, and the colours are wrong. :'(

Nothing big, it's just annoying me.
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-13-2004 at 09:32 PM

The upgrade script died when it got to the custom themes, so the users' theme settings got kinda screwed up. :-/ The themes themselves are exactly the same as in Beta 4 though. Are you sure you weren't using Shady and not myXP-Blue? I thought only Shady was changed to Earth... :-/

RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-14-2004 at 01:01 PM

In the Who's online list, you've added the "Viewing No Permission Page" line for guests, when they're looking at pages they need to be logged in for.

However, one can still see guests "Using Private Messaging System", while they're viewing a No Permission Page then too. Can you fix this? :)

RE: you can report bugs now by billywoods1 on 03-14-2004 at 04:49 PM

WDZ, possibly, I dunno, I'll have a look. :P I think this is the one I was using though... but the colours are slightly different.

Bad spelling: on the email changing page (after you type in your password/new email address), it says "sucessfully". Should be "successfully". :P

Edit: myXP-Blue seems to be the only one even vaguely similar to the one I was using. 8-)

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-14-2004 at 07:09 PM

quote:
However, one can still see guests "Using Private Messaging System", while they're viewing a No Permission Page then too. Can you fix this? :)
Hmm... interesting bug! Fixed. Thanks. :p

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1
Edit: myXP-Blue seems to be the only one even vaguely similar to the one I was using. 8-)
^o)

Well, I copied and pasted all the themes straight out of the DB backup from before the upgrade. I also just checked the myXP-Blue and Shady themes, and all the data is intact. The only things that have changed are the templates, and maybe the usage of the colors.
RE: you can report bugs now by Johnny_Mac on 03-14-2004 at 07:28 PM

Small bug: When editing someones posts to fix bbcode tags, e.g. they forget to close them. If I click the close all tags button for them (I'm assuming this is on all edits) then it doesnt work, need to type them manually. :P

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-14-2004 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Small bug: When editing someones posts to fix bbcode tags, e.g. they forget to close them. If I click the close all tags button for them (I'm assuming this is on all edits) then it doesnt work, need to type them manually. :P
the close tags button doesn't work like that. it only closes tags inserted with the buttons and drop.down lists. ie: go to the post reply page and write a tag, like [­code] then select a font and the tag [­font=Impact] appears. Then click close tags. only the [­/font] tag is closed.

edit:
oh!, and changing that behaviour is quite complex in javascript (well, the way i'd do it is complex, maybe there's an easier way)
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-14-2004 at 07:37 PM

Choli is right, and I'm not even gonna try to fix that... it's all javascript, and I hate it. :p

RE: you can report bugs now by Johnny_Mac on 03-14-2004 at 07:39 PM

My point is: So even if they've used the insert buttons, I can't use the close button on edit?

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-14-2004 at 07:47 PM

quote:
My point is: So even if they've used the insert buttons, I can't use the close button on edit?
no. the insert buttons just insert the tags into the text field and the fact that a tag has been inserted by the buttons is only stored by javascript while the user is posting. Once he clicks post button, the borwser destroys the javascript code and you can't say if a tag was written by the user or inserted with the buttons.
RE: you can report bugs now by Johnny_Mac on 03-14-2004 at 07:52 PM

Okay, thanks for that Choli. Limitation. :dodgy:

WDZ, could you tell me why Johnny_Macs TEST_USER was still banned, 4 days after I banned him. It had in the time remaining box -102.8 hours. :undecided:

I've removed him now, but I'm assuming it should have been removed automatically and didnt work?
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-14-2004 at 08:14 PM

If you tried to log in as the banned user, the ban would have been lifted automatically. ;)

RE: you can report bugs now by Johnny_Mac on 03-14-2004 at 08:16 PM

So if 30 members are banned, and they don't bother logging back in again. That list could get kinda full. But, okay. :P

RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-24-2004 at 08:12 PM

quote:
In the Who's online list, you've added the "Viewing No Permission Page" line for guests, when they're looking at pages they need to be logged in for.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Hmm... interesting bug! Fixed. Thanks.
I can also still see guests editing posts, and I believe I also saw one posting a reply a few days ago...
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-24-2004 at 09:57 PM

I know... that's because they're not viewing the "no permission" page. They're seeing some other error like "invalid thread." MyBB can support guest posting and stuff, so that's not a bug.

RE: you can report bugs now by CookieRevised on 03-25-2004 at 01:16 PM

quote:

This works correctly in all places when you're using Internet Explorer, but it screws up in Mozilla. I now always see the blue underline (matching colour with normal members), even for super mods and admins.
There could be two reasons (cba to find out). In both cases it isn't Mozilla that screws up :D Mozilla shows it like it should be interpreted. It is MSIE that screws up.

1) There is a particular (logical) order you need for the a:link, a:visited, etc.. in style sheeds. First you must specify a:link, then a:visited, a:hover and finaly a:active. If one or two are the same, you need to split them up...

So, for example, this:
body a:link, body a:visited, body a:active { color: #124F8E; text-decoration: none; }
body a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }

should be:
body a:link, body a:visited { color: #124F8E; text-decoration: none; }
body a:hover { text-decoration: underline; }
body a:active { color: #124F8E; text-decoration: none; }

2)In <a href="blah"><font color="green">WDZ</font></a> only WDZ is supposed to be green. The color of the link itself isn't given, so this shouldn't be interpreted as green. the link is outside the fontcolor, not inside. (MSIE doesn't interpret the tags logicaly, although it seems correct, it is in fact wrong)
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-25-2004 at 03:35 PM

Well, I know #2 is the problem, but I didn't think about changing the CSS to "correct" it... I don't see how that solution would work though. The "active" is for when you actually click on the link, right? The problem here is hovering. Anyway, unless the color of a username is actually in the CSS, I don't think the CSS can change the underline color. ^o)

RE: you can report bugs now by CookieRevised on 03-25-2004 at 05:45 PM

<a href="blah" style="blahblah; etc..."><font color="green">WDZ</font></a>
or
<a href="blah" class="admin"><font color="green">WDZ</font></a>
or something like that... In that way you can alter the colors with CSS...

a:active is indeed for when you actually click the link. But the a:hover should be defined before it, not after it, to work properly; you can say that a:active is a special case of a:hover (hover above it AND click it), so the order should be: a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active.... (<== this has nothing todo with the problem here, but can cause other problems)

EDIT:
the easiest and cleanest solution for the "colored underline"-problem is (this is even without altering the CSS):
instead of:
<a href="blahblah"><font color="green"><b><i>WDZ</i></b></font></a>
do:
<a href="blahblah" style="color: green"><b><i>WDZ</i></b></a>

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-25-2004 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
<a href="blah" class="admin"><font color="green">WDZ</font></a>
that's dodgy, because that should be done for all groups and what would happen if a new gourp is added or deleted an old one? you should change the css too because it isn't generated by php, right?
quote:
if that works, it's a nice sollution.
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-25-2004 at 07:37 PM

quote:
the easiest and cleanest solution for the "colored underline"-problem is (this is even without altering the CSS):
instead of:
<a href="blahblah"><font color="green"><b><i>WDZ</i></b></font></a>
do:
I know, but doing that isn't as simple as editing a template. MyBB has a function for username coloring, so the <font> tags come from that (and are added to the username before evaluating the template), and the <a> tags are usually in the template. I'd have to make sure the <a> tags are inside the <font> tags for all the places where this "problem" occurs, and to be honest, I couldn't care less if the underline is the wrong color. :refuck:
RE: you can report bugs now by kao on 03-26-2004 at 04:50 AM

something i noticed when the posts date was a long date.. shouldn't the day be cut down to the first 3 letters or something? look at this pic...

[Image: d0dgeh.jpg]

See how the info isn't centered because of the length of the date? cut it to 3 letters so it looks normal :banana:

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-26-2004 at 05:08 AM

Well, it just uses the date format you set in your profile... :-/

I guess I could have the script modify the format though... I'll put it on my to-do list... :blah!:

RE: you can report bugs now by kao on 03-26-2004 at 05:19 AM

hmm, didnt know that :chrongue:

* kao goes to change

EDIT: there isn't one how i want it :cry: make one which has just the first 3 letters of the day :gfdrin:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=219090]

RE: you can report bugs now by Wabz on 03-26-2004 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kao
hmm, didnt know that

* Kao goes to change

EDIT: there isn't one how i want it  make one which has just the first 3 letters of the day

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I guess I could have the script modify the format though... I'll put it on my to-do list...

:rolleyes:

RE: you can report bugs now by fluffy_lobster on 03-26-2004 at 06:14 PM

IMHO there should be an option to specify a pure date() format, like phpbb... dz? :p

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-26-2004 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
IMHO there should be an option to specify a pure date() format, like phpbb... dz? :p
and who'll use it? you and few people more :P
RE: you can report bugs now by fluffy_lobster on 03-26-2004 at 06:44 PM

quote:
and who'll use it? you and few people more :P
Yep... but it's actually less server load :)  I'm not suggesting it overrides the list of presets, but allows you to specify a custom one instead if you want to.
RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-26-2004 at 06:59 PM

quote:
but it's actually less server load
how can it be less server load? if you compare it with the suggested script to modify the format?
RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 03-26-2004 at 10:16 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=219406]

It seems there is one "editing" too much.

Also, http://shoutbox.menthix.net/history.php is still known as an Unknown Location. Shouldn't that be changed?
* Tochjo vaguely remembers he reported that one before...

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-26-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Decent idea... go suggest it on the MyBB community forums. :refuck:

quote:
It seems there is one "editing" too much.
Fixed.

quote:
Also, http://shoutbox.menthix.net/history.php is still known as an Unknown Location. Shouldn't that be changed?
You did already report it and it's on my list. I just haven't decided if I want to add a name for it or make it not show up at all.
RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-27-2004 at 01:44 AM

the [noparse] tag doesn't work with /me and /slap

this:

code:
[noparse]/me testing[/noparse]
[noparse]/slap someone[/noparse]
gives this:
* Choli testing
* Choli slaps someone around a bit with a large trout.

:rolleyes:
RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 03-27-2004 at 02:00 AM

Hmm... limitation. Due to the way those commands work, they can't be included with the regular MyCode parsing code, so [noparse] doesn't apply to them. Sorry. :p

Edit: Anyway, it's easy to make them not parse... just don't put them right at the start of a line...

/slap himself (space before)

Or you could just say it in the middle of a line like /me is doing right now! :p

RE: you can report bugs now by Choli on 03-27-2004 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Anyway, it's easy to make them not parse... just don't put them right at the start of a line...
I know, but I wanted to not put the space :P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Hmm... limitation. Due to the way those commands work, they can't be included with the regular MyCode parsing code, so [noparse] doesn't apply to them. Sorry.
hmmm... :dodgy:

ok :P It's ok :gfdrin:
RE: you can report bugs now by Tochjo on 04-16-2004 at 04:55 PM

The page http://shoutbox.menthix.net/statistics.php shows up as "Unknown location" on the Who's online page.

RE: you can report bugs now by WDZ on 04-16-2004 at 05:36 PM

¬_¬

Fixed.