Shoutbox

Settings Password Protection - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Settings Password Protection (/showthread.php?tid=22531)

Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 03-12-2004 at 07:15 PM

How about adding a feature so the settings for msgplus cannot be changed without a password? I wanna keep log files in particular but not allow anyone to turn it off or change the path.

RE: Settings Password Protection by Tochjo on 03-12-2004 at 07:18 PM

You will only be able to edit your settings from the Plus! menu in MSN Messenger when you're currently signed in with that email address. Basically, it means that a password is not necessary: if he'd have access to the settings panel, he'd also be signed in with your address.

RE: Settings Password Protection by Mnjul on 03-12-2004 at 07:18 PM

Well, other users have to sign in with your .net passport account so that they can change your Plus! settings. That is, if they don't have your .net passport password, they theoretically can not modify the Plus! settings which are associated with your .net passport account:)

RE: Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 03-12-2004 at 07:21 PM

Yeah but I am not talking about my settings. If I am logging someone else's conversations for tracking purposes, I dont want them to be able to change the settings for the logging.

RE: Settings Password Protection by Mnjul on 03-12-2004 at 07:35 PM

And that's the matter of other people's privacy - are you sure you may do this?

RE: Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 03-12-2004 at 07:38 PM

I want to watch my kids and track their conversations. Yes I am sure I would like to do this.  :)

RE: Settings Password Protection by Wabz on 03-12-2004 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by audiopro
I want to watch my kids and track their conversations. Yes I am sure I would like to do this.  :)

Just use a keylogger :P

RE: Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 03-12-2004 at 10:18 PM

Yeah, that is one way to go.. Just Plus is so well organized and neat...

RE: Settings Password Protection by Patchou on 03-14-2004 at 05:46 AM

I'll keep it in mind for a next version :)

RE: Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 03-14-2004 at 10:39 PM

Patchou, that would be excellent. The only part I am concerned with them changing is the logging. MsgPlus! is just a great addon, and I think having a password to control those settings would make me feel a lot safer. Always worry about kids these days on the Internet. I have a 10 year old daughter, cant help but worry.

RE: Settings Password Protection by CookieRevised on 03-15-2004 at 06:28 PM

And when they are done chatting they just delete the logs....

In other words: What is the use to lock this with a password???

(btw, and if the kids are somewhat smart, they change the registry settings; MSN Messenger and Plus! doesn't even have to be running)

RE: Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 03-19-2004 at 02:35 AM

Nah... Windows 2000 allows you to lock down just about anything you want within a user profile. Easy to set a directory to log to that allows them to create and append, but not delete or open a file.  As for disabling via registry, that too can be locked down. Just about everything you can click on in Windows can be controlled via a policy.

RE: Settings Password Protection by audiopro on 02-04-2006 at 01:28 AM

Wow... I had not used MSN Messenger much in the past couple years... I just recently started using it again, and wanted to grab MSGPlus!... Lo and behold, my feature request was added!

Good work Patchou!