Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! 3 Progress - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress (/showthread.php?tid=22685)

Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-16-2004 at 07:58 AM

Hello everyone,

for those who have better things to do than read my posts in the General Chit Chat forum, I thought I should keep you informed of the progress of Messenger Plus! 3.

I'm still working every hour of every day, every day of the week on the next major release of your favorite add-on (at least, hope it is :p). It seems that this new version will bring a lot more than I originally expected. GFD is also working hard to make Messenger Plus! 2 look like some kind of joke in comparison. For those reasons, I think we should be realistic and don't expect the final release before mid-April. Beta testing should begin in about a week (please don't request to be a beta tester, I already know to whom I'll send the beta) and if everything goes well, the software will get translated and everyone will enjoy Messenger Plus! Spring 2004 ;).

I'll also take this moment to brief you about a new "feature" I just completed. Some of you won't see the point but some others will probably be very happy to read that: Messenger Plus! can now be installed on limited accounts that don't have administrator priviledges. The new setup automatically detects the situation so you won't have any extra effort to put when you want to install Plus! on a public access point or at school. Oh, and yeah, the setup has been completely redone, it now supports every language (such as Chinese), automatically detects the language of the user when first used, etc...

I sincerely hope you'll like all this; I keep trying to focus on doing a quality product without lame&useless features. You'll be the ones who will be judging the result in a month from now and I'm doing everything possible not to disapoint anyone :).

Have a nice week!
Patchou

[Image: format.png]
Screen-shot of the week... here you can see the new multi-format panel (CTRL+R).
You can also see the new Plus! icon in the toolbar.. you'll see, it's very handy (this one and the other...).

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by surfichris on 03-16-2004 at 08:05 AM

Excellent work Patchou :)

I'm really looking forward to the next release and i am sure both you and GFD will do a great job.

The 'limited account installation' is a good idea for the users who cannot install it because they arent Administrators.. But for example if you were a network admin at school (and most schools have regulations and policies on software installation) it could become a nightmare...

Just my bit.

Edited by Patchou: the new setup won't try anything doggy. If you block write access to HKCU for example, it won't be able to do anything.. the goal is not to bypass every security measure possible, just to give some help ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-16-2004 at 08:18 AM

good work patchou ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
of your favorite add-on (at least, hope it is ).
of course it is :banana:

the limited account installation, as chris said, is a good idea. with this, plus will be used in more places and by more users.
quote:
[img]http://www.patchou.com/temp/format.png[img]
Screen-shot of the week... here you can see the new multi-format panel (CTRL+R).
You can also see the new Plus! icon in the toolbar.. you'll see, it's very handy (this on and the other...).
nice screen shot, but can you close the [­img] tag? ;)
that panel seems very useful and the plus icon looks very nice.
quote:
the final release before mid-April.
that's not a very good date for me, anyway, I'm looking foward to the release ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by volkl on 03-16-2004 at 08:25 AM

w00t w00t!!! looking awesome patch cant wait!!!! :gfdrin:

quote:
your favorite add-on (at least, hope it is :p)

of course it is!!! :chrongue:

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by doughboyy on 03-16-2004 at 08:37 AM

:banana: Can't Want for the best add-on ever. =D april is perfect. lol. a great early b-day gift for me. =D and what does the plus icon do??? or are you gonna keep that a surprise. AND i hope mp3 will work will msn 6.2

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Mnjul on 03-16-2004 at 09:33 AM

quote:
completely redone, it now supports every language (such as Chinese),
Finally :-/ We can see our work in installation and I can tell my friend "oh well, the installation is Chinese, just follow it" instead of "oh yeah, yeah, choose the 'Automa-'...oh yeah, the one begins with 'A'... yeah click 'OK'..."blah blah blah:P

Keep on hard work Patch and GFD (Y)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by BiZaRrE on 03-16-2004 at 09:50 AM

sweet!
can't wait for the new release, sounds really great!!
keep up the (Y)good work(Y) Patchou!!:D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Jeronimo on 03-16-2004 at 10:49 AM

So it will make Plus! 2 look like a joke? Man, this thing is going to be sweet :P

Thanks for keeping us informed. I think you know there are lots of people more than a little keen to see it get released. ;)

Good luck to you and the beta testers (y)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-16-2004 at 11:12 AM

This sure is exciting news... :) Can't wait to see it in action! :) :banana:

Good luck with the code and design, Patchou and GFD. :) (Y)

BTW, are you going to wait for MSN Messenger 6.2 (April 22 I believe) before releasing MP3?

BTW2, if you already made the installer support specific accounts, it'd be nice if it had an advanced option to install Plus! for the current user only (even if I do have admin rights). :p

(Don't you love the way I "smuggle" feature requests?:p)

BTW3, I have a new slogan: MP3 Reinvented. :lol:

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by user17033 on 03-16-2004 at 11:27 AM

make msg.plus! 2 look like a :D?
that sounds promisingly and i know you will make it really (H)!
big thanks for your hard work - i hope you know we all appreciate it without posting it in every thread ;)

edit » ahh, i forgot to mention this installation thingy. a friend of mine asked me if it is intended that installations of msgplus only works if the path to it's installation directory already exists.
he tried to install it like this (example)
c:\program files\123\msgplus\ (brown=new folders through msgplus installation)
but the installation failed with something like "not enough space". he added the folder "123" manually restarted the installation and it works without errormessages.
hope you get what i mean - i'm not a programmer and forgot the word he named this behavior

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Menthix on 03-16-2004 at 12:28 PM

Is that plus! logo above the send button intergrated into tje chatwindows? It look sweet... waht does it do?

I cant wait to test it. It's sounding great, must have been a lot of work... (no wonder you dont anwser my email :P)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Pappapishu on 03-16-2004 at 12:44 PM

good news, and of course its our favourite

i think it would be a good idea to use the return message or whatever it's name is(when you write a message so the other gets it as soon as he logs in) also for file-transfers, so if you have to send smth to smo you can leave and let it send it self as soon as your friend logs in.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-16-2004 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gooofi
» ahh, i forgot to mention this installation thingy. a friend of mine asked me if it is intended that installations of msgplus only works if the path to it's installation directory already exists.
he tried to install it like this (example)
c:\program files\123\msgplus\ (brown=new folders through msgplus installation)
but the installation failed with something like "not enough space". he added the folder "123" manually restarted the installation and it works without errormessages.
hope you get what i mean - i'm not a programmer and forgot the word he named this behavior
:O that's a bug! Patchou should fix it, what is very easy. A simple call to the MakeSureDirectoryPathExists API should do that ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by nus on 03-16-2004 at 01:19 PM

Great work :bow:Patchou:bow:, but I'm still waiting for a feature that you've promised when everyone of us:many: have the old 1.42b :plus:version and visit the page once or twice a week for news. I hope that you can include the logs feature in this version.

I'm impatient to start working:type: in the new :plus2:translation

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Wabz on 03-16-2004 at 01:33 PM

Great Patchou (Y)

As always you seem to excel at making Plus!  get better everytime.  just dont forget to add an easter egg :P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Shadows_death69 on 03-16-2004 at 02:09 PM

Hey, Great work patchou! Can't wait. Looks great. Good work! :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Stigmata on 03-16-2004 at 02:34 PM

smile :) its all you can do :P

does this mean say bold is not -& or what ever anymore :P cus then ill have to remake my nickname maker :(

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by musicalmidget on 03-16-2004 at 02:37 PM

I know I've only seen one screenshot so far, but that does look cool.

I'm glad it's coming along alright. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by firecracker on 03-16-2004 at 03:01 PM

woah patchou.. you continue to amaze me..

keep it up :o)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by kingboy on 03-16-2004 at 03:22 PM

i cant wait till this version come out:D I hope version 3 works with MSN Messenger 6.2...

This version will be intense:D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by matty on 03-16-2004 at 03:29 PM

The icon can be one of two things i think.

If you use a borderless chat window then the icon will bring up the plus! menu, or  it states if the other user uses plus, maybe by sending a certain command and if it gets it back the icon shows, if not then they dont have plus!.

But i think its the Plus! menu.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by M-Head on 03-16-2004 at 03:43 PM

:o I can't wait for this! These are some of the best features that have been added IMO...and there's Patchou saying it won't be about features (well, not mostly anyway). If these are the features, what will the UI be like?:o

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by tomfletcherman on 03-16-2004 at 03:44 PM

looks gr8:D

a quick question, as microsoft blatently will check about progress and monitor this add on, if they were to add any features into msn that are in plus would this cause conflicts and could you sue?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Menthix on 03-16-2004 at 03:56 PM

* Menthix wave at the Microsoft people monitoring this thread :D. :wave:

quote:
if they were to add any features into msn that are in plus would this cause conflicts and could you sue?
Well Microsoft already kinda stole the logging idea from Plus!... but it doesn't cause any conflicts, just choose the logging system you like the most.

It would be just as stupid for Patchou to sue Microsoft as for microsoft to sue Patchou. I mean, Plus! benefits from Microsoft. Whitout Microsoft (MSN) there would be no MsgPlus!.
On the other hand Microsoft benefits from Plus!. Whitout Plus! MSN would have been less successfull (yes i mean that, if i didn't discovered MsgPlus! some years ago i would be a Trillian user now).
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Chrono on 03-16-2004 at 04:16 PM

Congratulations Patchou for ur progress :banana:
keep it up (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by reisyboy on 03-16-2004 at 05:03 PM

excellent work patch, thumbs up (Y) good work :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Weyzza on 03-16-2004 at 05:12 PM

(Y)(Y)

Whoa!
Reading Patchou's thread, I really cannot wait to see Plus! 3 :D.
And I really like the Plus! icon...

quote:
Screen-shot of the week...
So we'll see another screenshot next week? :D
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by KeyStorm on 03-16-2004 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nus
I'm impatient to start working:type: in the new :plus2:translation
Glad to see you again, nus :), hope you still remember the Catalan group ;), It's been a long time without seing you online.

Anyway. MP!3 is looking great (Y) I can't wait to see the (Trans)Beta
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by jordanspringer on 03-16-2004 at 05:48 PM

good work patchou!. one thing though. i love the new text formatting bar, with BOLD, UNDERLINE, ITALICS, STRIKEOUT. but is there anyway you would be able to "dock" that bar into the Messenger Convo Window, like for example place it beside the "backgrounds" button? (i know this is possible because the msn handwritting program implemented MANY new buttons into the converstation window.

for example, look at this picture below:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=214937]

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-16-2004 at 05:58 PM

If I put the buttons in the toolbar, then some people wont see it (because they use hand writing, because their language is bigger and takes all the space, etc...). Ctrl+R is just as convinient :). As for the Plus! icon, it displays a special menu designed to help people with less experience (it will help the rest of us too, dont worry). The same kind of thing is integrated in the contact list, I'm looking forward to see the reaction of the first impression of the beta testers.

I won't be waiting for Messenger 6.2 to be released because I'm not worried about this version :). As for the directory creation and setup switch request, I'll do that.

Thanks for the support :)
Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by jordanspringer on 03-16-2004 at 06:04 PM

but if you think about it patchou, the handwriting buttons are only visible when you have the "handwrite" or "convert" tabs pressed in. when the normal "text" tab is pressed in, the handwriting buttons are not visible, and maybe on this tab is where you can display the formatting buttons for Msg Plus??

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by CookieRevised on 03-16-2004 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jordanspringer
(i know this is possible because the msn handwritting program implemented MANY new buttons into the converstation window.)
No it didn't... those buttons and tabs are already there. They aren't created by the plugin makers, the are created by MSN themself. The handwriting is already in MSN Messenger, it is only deactivated on a homecomputer and activated on a TabletPC. The plugin only tricks MSN Messenger into thinking that it is on a TabletPC. The plugin does nothing more...

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by TheBlasphemer on 03-16-2004 at 06:39 PM

quote:

[Image: format.png]
You can also see the new Plus! icon in the toolbar.. you'll see, it's very handy (this one and the other...).

Liar! :P
It's all the same text! no bold or underline nowhere!
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by aNILEator on 03-16-2004 at 06:47 PM

well he tells the truth :p doesn't appear to have changed

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Johnny_Mac on 03-16-2004 at 06:49 PM

Well obviously it doesnt make it look like that in the text type box. The character infront of the text means the font will be bold/underlined when sent!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by tomfletcherman on 03-16-2004 at 07:00 PM

wen ur handwriting, then u cant make things bold/italic anyway, so it shud b on the toolbar...

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by _BassReFLeX_ on 03-16-2004 at 08:09 PM

Great work Patchou!

'installing Plus! in many accounts' look great to me... Really, thera are many people that need this, especially in work or school where there are limits about using softwares. And also putting Plus! icon look great. Hope we will get much better Plus! this summer. ;)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Menthix on 03-16-2004 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman
wen ur handwriting, then u cant make things bold/italic anyway, so it shud b on the toolbar...

Good point.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by ind3nt on 03-16-2004 at 08:24 PM

i cant wait to see the full gui of the new plus :D:D:D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by segosa on 03-16-2004 at 08:56 PM

I haven't read any of this thread except the first post, so if it's already been said, sorry.

Patchou, could you add the old "Share Files" option to that Plus! formatting toolbar button (as you can see on that screenshot) I used to always use it when it was accessible closeby from the formatting toolbar and ended up not using it after it had to be in the menu since it wouldn't appear on msn messenger 6.

Thanks. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by kittyangel on 03-16-2004 at 09:34 PM

Patchou, very nice work.  One more month to wait...8-)  I seriously can't wait.  The features are excellent.  Like everybody says, Messenger Plus! is getting better and better.  I can't do much without Messenger Plus!  Again, keep it up.  And yes, you are right.  It's my favorite add-on. 

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Dane on 03-16-2004 at 09:57 PM

Thanks for the update Patchou.  It looks great.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Guido on 03-16-2004 at 10:25 PM

Glad you guys like (the small bit of) what is to come in Plus Reinvented (:D i like that tagline).

The idea with the formatting buttons in the toolbar is good, however it will confuse all new users because it doesn't actually make text bold/italic/underlined/strikedout till you send the message. By being in ctrl+r it won't inspire the "hey, this doesn't work like MS word" thought... i guess... :P

quote:
Originally posted by jackass_wanabe
does this mean say bold is not -& or what ever anymore :P cus then ill have to remake my nickname maker :(
Iiiii don't think so. AFAIK the control characters are kept the same, so don't worry about that. However, many new color codes will be added so you might want to add that.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by user17033 on 03-16-2004 at 10:38 PM

quote:
As for the directory creation and setup switch request, I'll do that.

Thank you Patchou :)

BTW: is it possible to add a shortcut to ask for remoteassistance? it's terrible to describe the way they have to click if you don't know if they have the menu-bar enabled etc... "type /ra" or something similar would dramatically speed up the duration until i get the invitation to help... ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by lizard.boy on 03-16-2004 at 10:45 PM

we already know that plus has the ability to show weather the ping/pong commands have been returned (in the info box) howabout makeing the plus button greyscale when the people dont/unknown-if they-have  plus and full color when it it know that they have plus. :gfdrin:

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Fraisie on 03-16-2004 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gooofi
quote:

Thank you Patchou :)

BTW: is it possible to add a shortcut to ask for remoteassistance? it's terrible to describe the way they have to click if you don't know if they have the menu-bar enabled etc... "type /ra" or something similar would dramatically speed up the duration until i get the invitation to help... ;)

I read your post before Patchou, and I told him about your idea. It will be added :)
RE: RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by user17033 on 03-16-2004 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
I read your post before Patchou, and I told him about your idea. It will be added :)

Thank you for your help Fraisie (H) (and thanks to Patchou for adding this ;))
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by lylesback2 on 03-17-2004 at 01:50 AM

i never noticed the plus icon (Y) nice touch

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-17-2004 at 02:29 AM

I just remembered one other features I coded a week ago, knowing that a lot of you would be pleased... the event log viewer now allows you to sort entries by date, name, email or description; ascending or descending; and new entries are correctly inserted in the list using the sorting order you selected :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by fleetadmiralmatt on 03-17-2004 at 03:09 AM

Woo Hoo :) Great Job (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by crazy_missie on 03-17-2004 at 03:13 AM

Hey, Just a suggestion.
Is it possible to have different sounds for different contacts who log on and who type you a message. So you know when important people come on or talk to you.
Thanks.
MSN freak

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by matty on 03-17-2004 at 03:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by crazy_missie
Hey, Just a suggestion.
Is it possible to have different sounds for different contacts who log on and who type you a message. So you know when important people come on or talk to you.
Thanks.
MSN freak

Already is a feature in plus! for that
Plus! > Preferences > Sounds > Contact Events

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-17-2004 at 05:38 AM

Mega-post from sock!! :banana:

quote:
Originally posted by nus
I hope that you can include the logs feature in this version.

o_O  what logs feature?

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Well Microsoft already kinda stole the logging idea from Plus!... but it doesn't cause any conflicts, just choose the logging system you like the most.

Also, IM logging was in use way before Messenger Plus!'s implementation (actually, it was already there in the first IM client, ICQ), so they didn't really steal that idea... :p

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
So we'll see another screenshot next week? :D
I was wondering about that too. :p On the other hand, by next week I may see more than just a screenshot. :D :banana:

quote:
If I put the buttons in the toolbar, then some people wont see it (because they use hand writing, because their language is bigger and takes all the space, etc...). Ctrl+R is just as convinient :).

(also regarding to all of the replies to this matter)
I think it should be kept this way, otherwise it could: 1. make the IM window too messy, 2. confuse newbies as Guido said, and 3. it'd be likely to cause GUI glitches. For example, try to resize an IM window to its minimal size - all those buttons just wouldn't fit in there, and that's likely to cause trouble.
Sure, Patchou could make the buttons disappear or something in that case, but I don't think it's worth it because of the first two reasons, and because it may take a lot of coding and testing time.

quote:
By "setup switch" you mean being able to install Plus! for a specific user only? (as I requested:gfdrin:)
If so, :banana:.

BTW, will the new Plus! menu exist in MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger? Just being curious. :p
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-17-2004 at 05:40 AM

Had to split it into two parts because of the smiley limit. :blah:

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Glad you guys like (the small bit of) what is to come in Plus Reinvented (:D i like that tagline).

:D :banana:

It was MP3 Reinvented though (ie. a parody on MPEG Layer-III:p), but that will undoubtedly make people think it has something to with music, which isn't good. :p With "Plus!" it's more serious. (Y) :p

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
we already know that plus has the ability to show weather the ping/pong commands have been returned (in the info box) howabout makeing the plus button greyscale when the people dont/unknown-if they-have  plus and full color when it it know that they have plus. :gfdrin:
I'd say this is a good idea, but the /ping thingie isn't 100% reliable when checking if the contact has Plus! or not (they could disable the PING feature, there could be network problems, etc.), so having that considered I don't think it's a good idea. :p
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-17-2004 at 05:40 AM

Great Job Patchou, and I love the screenshot that you revealed to us!! I was wondering if you have implemented my feature that I had suggested to you about Auto-Accepting yet?

ps: Again great job keep up the good work!! :D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-17-2004 at 07:03 AM

Well, I don't remember what you suggestion was but Auto-Accept is there and you can activate it by default for any contact you want :).

* Patchou just got the MP3 Reinvented joke
...damn I'm slow

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by chris on 03-17-2004 at 07:30 AM

Hey i know we got the Plus notifys so when someone changes there name and u can change that in Main window right click a name then messenger plus then in notifications i think it woudl be good to have like so u can set a sound event for once when somone gets on either patchou could preset the sounds or we could but like just a drop down menu that will make a "special sound" that stands out from the rest. becuse i like to put my music on and go lay down and with all the msn sounds comming on it could be anyone and i dont always want to get up when someone comes online and the plus menu is quick and easy to right click say play this sound when this person gets on.. see what i mean.. if not i tried... also any word on alphebitising names on the contact list... besdieds that excelent work and cant wait for tha release:)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by hafizaz91 on 03-17-2004 at 09:47 AM

Great :)
Can you add a feature that will allow us to check for Plus! without typing ping in the chat window? I don't want to waste time telling ppl who dont have Plus! wtf Ping means...

In short, can we check whether some1 has Plus! without notifying them?

Edit

quote:
Originally posted by chris
also any word on alphebitising names on the contact list... besdieds that excelent work and cant wait for tha release

Umm....Names on the contact list are already alphabetized ;) but of course most people start their names with symbols..8o| makes it hard 2 sort...
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by jameseuk on 03-17-2004 at 09:51 AM

all sounds good, can we expect a new screenshot every few days just to tease us more?;):P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by CookieRevised on 03-17-2004 at 04:44 PM

quote:
Hey i know we got the Plus notifys so when someone changes there name and u can change that in Main window right click a name then messenger plus then in notifications i think it woudl be good to have like so u can set a sound event for once when somone gets on either patchou could preset the sounds or we could but like just a drop down menu that will make a "special sound" that stands out from the rest. becuse i like to put my music on and go lay down and with all the msn sounds comming on it could be anyone and i dont always want to get up when someone comes online and the plus menu is quick and easy to right click say play this sound when this person gets on.. see what i mean.. if not i tried... also any word on alphebitising names on the contact list... besdieds that excelent work and cant wait for tha release:)
Already there:
Plus! > Preferences > Sounds > Contact Events...
(I thought you knew that, being a posting freak)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by martin on 03-17-2004 at 04:57 PM

jw if ur adding the quote feature into version 3 or well it be in future release if at all.

* martin :drools: over screenshot, so sexy :P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by aNILEator on 03-17-2004 at 06:20 PM

quote feature??

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Guido on 03-17-2004 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by martin
jw if ur adding the quote feature into version 3 or well it be in future release if at all.

* martin :drools: over screenshot, so sexy :P
Yeah, the quote feature will be added (sort of) in Msgplus3.00. Patchou even posted a sshot in some thread...

quote:
Umm....Names on the contact list are already alphabetized  but of course most people start their names with symbols.. makes it hard 2 sort...
Not when using custom names...

quote:
Well, I don't remember what you suggestion was but Auto-Accept is there and you can activate it by default for any contact you want .
If I'm right, it was a dialog with checkboxes for always auto-accepting:
-audio invitations
-file transfers
-webcam viewing
-games
-etc.
...respectively. And, I like the idea :)

quote:
* Patchou just got the MP3 Reinvented joke
...damn I'm slow
Yeah, i know, I didn't get it very fast either... it's because we already talked about the MP3 acronym and Msgplus 3 before MP2 was released, so when I read mp3 in the forums i think of msgplus, not of the audio format. :-/

BTW, crazy_missie and Matty, are the colors necessary? :P

quote:
On the other hand, by next week I may see more than just a screenshot.
Most likely :)

quote:
BTW, will the new Plus! menu exist in MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger? Just being curious.
No, only in MSN Messenger 6 or above.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-17-2004 at 11:23 PM

Patchou the feature that I was talking about if it was included in this verison was Auto-Accepting where the other contact is able to view your web camera, listen on microphone, file sharing, etc. Without the other client having to press accept!

I hope you have included my idea yet!!!

Thank you Patchou, your our true msn messenger hero!!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Guido on 03-17-2004 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by brianjdupuis
Patchou the feature that I was talking about if it was included in this verison was Auto-Accepting where the other contact is able to view your web camera, listen on microphone, file sharing, etc. Without the other client having to press accept!

I hope you have included my idea yet!!!

Thank you Patchou, your our true msn messenger hero!!
Oh, I didn't take a close look at your suggestion before, but let me tell you it won't be added for sure. It's an absolute invasion of privacy and security breach.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by lizard.boy on 03-18-2004 at 12:19 AM

actually i think patchou said something about adding something similar with passwords and off by default. :undecided:

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by kao on 03-18-2004 at 12:21 AM

Maybe if it was all off by defualt and in the options page to turn it on there were huge flashing warnings with sirens going off and such, it'd be ok :gfdrin:

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-18-2004 at 12:52 AM

It seems that I have not given enough information about the new Auto-Accept feature so here is how it works.

• Auto-Accept if off by default, for all your contacts.
  • Auto-Accept can be enabled/disabled in each chat window from the Plus! menu
  • In the preferences, you can set Auto-Accept on by default for everybody
  • In the preferences, you can set Auto-Accept on by default only for contacts you select (so you don't really need a password, it's over-kill)
  • Auto-Accept works for every requests asking to click on an Accept link (of course, it works with any Messenger language). This includes file tranfers and web cam.
Hope it helps :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-18-2004 at 01:01 AM

:OMG thank you sooo much Patchou:D, i'm going to be using this feature all the time and I know so will others when it comes avialable!! I still think a password is necessary especially for the file sharing part of it!!

But again thank you soo much Patchou

:o) (Y) :D CAN"T WAIT :D (Y) :o)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Johnny_Mac on 03-18-2004 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Oh, I didn't take a close look at your suggestion before, but let me tell you it won't be added for sure. It's an absolute invasion of privacy and security breach.

quote:
Auto-Accept works for every requests asking to click on an Accept link (of course, it works with any Messenger language). This includes file tranfers and web cam.

For anyone else totally lost I'm assuming it is included then and it isnt a security breach?
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-18-2004 at 01:06 AM

Thats why I think a Password should be required for this feature of auto-accepting!!

P.S Johnny_mac - you can turn off this feature if you dont like it!

But Great Job Patchou i'm still happy with it!!! :)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Guido on 03-18-2004 at 01:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:

quote:
Auto-Accept works for every requests asking to click on an Accept link (of course, it works with any Messenger language). This includes file tranfers and web cam.

For anyone else totally lost I'm assuming it is included then and it isnt a security breach?
Errr... no.

I don't think he really understood what Patchou DID add.

What he wants is:
quote:
Originally posted by brianjdupuis
Patchou the feature that I was talking about if it was included in this verison was Auto-Accepting where the other contact is able to view your web camera, listen on microphone, file sharing, etc. Without the other client having to press accept

What I understand is (let's give an example):

-I am Guido. You are X. You have a microphone in your computer. I invite you to an audio conversation and YOU (the OTHER computer) auto-accepts it because I (my computer) has that setting checked in Plus. THIS is a security breach and THIS is what this guy wanted (or that's what he said he wanted, at least). In one of the threads the reason was given: he wanted it to be used for monitoring another computer. Isn't THAT a privacy risk? And it's a security risk when applied with file transfers.

What Patchou added in Plus 3 is what I agree with, for ME to auto-accept the invitations I receive. I'm ok with that, and, in fact, proposed that feature together with many other people months ago.

Everybody got confused here...

(the caps are just for clarification).
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by chris on 03-18-2004 at 05:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Already there:
no no no... i want it so that it will have preset ones so i dont have to go do that everyone i want to know when someone comes on once.. liek on the notifications u can have it set to everytime and ur way would be the way to that but i want so just once when they get on it will have a selected sound u see what i mean? if not ill go into irc later since i think ur in there alot and try to explain to u or someone else and see if they could refrase it
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by iXP on 03-18-2004 at 09:07 AM

Why don't you make a beta of the current Messenger Plus 3?? 8-)*-)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by user503 on 03-18-2004 at 09:52 AM

removed

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-18-2004 at 11:53 AM

quote:
quote:
BTW, will the new Plus! menu exist in MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger? Just being curious.
No, only in MSN Messenger 6 or above.

Oh................................ oh well. :refuck:

BTW, :lol: @ your explanation of Auto-Accept... :p

Anyway..... Patch, what about my question? :'(
Allow me to repeat it (:p):

quote:
By "setup switch", do you mean the feature I requested (:gfdrin:)?

(That is, being able to install Plus! for a specific user only, even when you have admin rights.)
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Sunshine on 03-18-2004 at 12:49 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Already there:
no no no... i want it so that it will have preset ones so i dont have to go do that everyone i want to know when someone comes on once.. liek on the notifications u can have it set to everytime and ur way would be the way to that but i want so just once when they get on it will have a selected sound u see what i mean? if not ill go into irc later since i think ur in there alot and try to explain to u or someone else and see if they could refrase it

I think what Chris is tryin to say is: can u add an extra feature to the msn extra plus, notifications (rightclickin on contactsname) to be able to set a sound for that ONE time the contact he wants signs in?
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by hafizaz91 on 03-18-2004 at 02:27 PM

Well, my last request wasn't very clear.... Patch, can we check whether our contacts have Plus! without pinging them?

There, nice and clear:D

Bye for now

Click here to see the ways to trick a fool!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by lizard.boy on 03-18-2004 at 05:01 PM

no. invasion of privacy

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-18-2004 at 06:29 PM

Yeah Sock, the setup switch if for people like yoiu who want to emulate the non-admin mode :). As for checking for Plus!, as Lizard Man said, it would be an invasion of privacy, that'S why /ping is there and that'S why peopel can disable it if they want :).

As for setting a sound for one time, you can associate the sound you want to Plus! notifications so you could just set the one of your choice and ask Plus! for a notification next time the contact signs in (Messenger Plus! Extra menu).

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by jren207 on 03-18-2004 at 10:08 PM

When you install Plus!, there should be an option to install a IE toolbar button, which allows you to set your Plus! settings from IE. :D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-18-2004 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
When you install Plus!, there should be an option to install a IE toolbar button, which allows you to set your Plus! settings from IE. :D
so difficult and complex is going to the main window of messenger and click plus > preferences? plus is a program for Messenger, so it adds its menus and features to Messenger not to IE.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Guido on 03-19-2004 at 03:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iXP
Why don't you make a beta of the current Messenger Plus 3?? 8-)*-)
Why don't you steal someone else's avatar? :banana:

And yeah, of course, he doesn't release it because it's not finished. :rolleyes:

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-19-2004 at 05:19 AM

Patchou can we expect a new screenshot perty soon? :D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-19-2004 at 07:06 AM

I totally agree with you "bnevets27" I really do think Patchou that it should be password protected!! For just not privacy issues, for security issues also!! I really hope you take this advice from me and other Msn Messenger Plus fans!

Thank you!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sanosuke on 03-19-2004 at 08:32 AM

Majority?? 2 people just agreed thats all, i don't see any majourity.

Just drop it...

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Pounder on 03-19-2004 at 04:34 PM

I have a feature request.

What it is you can send a message to everyone of whom you have a conversation window open with. So say you have to say BRB quickly, but are talking to 9 people, you can quickly and easily send a message to ONLY those 9 people.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Mnjul on 03-19-2004 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pounder
What it is you can send a message to everyone of whom you have a conversation window open with. So say you have to say BRB quickly, but are talking to 9 people, you can quickly and easily send a message to ONLY those 9 people.
Just use /all like:
/all BRB
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Stijn on 03-19-2004 at 04:52 PM

he patchou
i waw wondering if you could put MP3 on the download center of microsoft website alot of my friends would trust it more (not that they dont already trust it)!?!? i am not sure if microsoft would except that and if it is allowd but i was jusrt asking ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Mnjul on 03-19-2004 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stijn
he patchou
i waw wondering if you could put MP3 on the download center of microsoft website alot of my friends would trust it more (not that they dont already trust it)!?!? i am not sure if microsoft would except that and if it is allowd but i was jusrt asking ;)
Messenger Plus! has nothing to do with Micro$oft, that's it :-/
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Pounder on 03-19-2004 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
Originally posted by Pounder
Just use /all like:
/all BRB

WOW! I never knew that... thanks!:D
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-19-2004 at 06:27 PM

If you want to continue to talk about the Auto-Accept feature, please go to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22810&pid=215979. Thank you :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by jren207 on 03-19-2004 at 07:57 PM

I think there should be bookmark feature that allows you to store a list of websites then enter a command to launch them.
For example:

To store it:
/storebmark-msgplus! http://www.msgplus.net

Then to launch it:
/launchbmark-msgplus!

And the website appears!!! :D

Also show bookmarks:
/showbmarks
msgplus! - http://www.msgplus.net
msn - http://www.msn.co.uk

Tell me if you think it's a good idea... :D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by MSN on 03-19-2004 at 08:24 PM

Now, i'm spending my difficult time :'( i.e. waiting for MP3 (Y) MP3 is a golden (*) for every user who uses it...

Thanks Patchou for a wonderful add-on to messenger.... Can't describe more coz i'm in search of words.....:)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by bnevets27 on 03-19-2004 at 08:44 PM

don't sure if this should b here but i have posted a couple thing is the last couple days and realized that it would b a nice plug-in feature, or built in, to have a feature that notifies you of a post to a thread, for just msgplus form or if u could have it set up on other too, i think alot of ppl here could use that, i know theres the email notify but that can get kinda messy with all the emails.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Eridal on 03-19-2004 at 10:00 PM

What I would like to see is an option to have customized sounds for messages recieved. You can make custom sounds for online/offline but not for recieved messages. This would make it easier to tell who is messaging you if you were away from the computer or allow you to only hear a sound from a specific person when they message you and all others be silent.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-19-2004 at 10:13 PM

I wonder when we can be recieving the next screenshot!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by mOBSCENE on 03-19-2004 at 10:54 PM

And what I would like to see is an option to filter typed urls from chat conversations... (A)

Maybe even with a different window from msgplus containing all urls? :D

BTW: keep up the good work (Y)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-20-2004 at 12:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Then to launch it:
/launchbmark-msgplus!

And the website appears!!! :D

That can be done by creating a quicktext with this command:
/run http://www.yourwebsite.com

As for the automatic-bookmark, that'S an idea that I'Ve been getting for quite a while... I'll keep it in mind for a future version (but not 3.00.. even when your suggestions are good, it doesnt adds more hours to my days :)).
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Alpha Binary on 03-20-2004 at 01:33 AM

that sounds very promising!
i'm really looking forward to the release of mp3 ;)
btw can you post some more screenshots? :p

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Anubis on 03-20-2004 at 07:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eridal
What I would like to see is an option to have customized sounds for messages recieved.
Yeah. That'd be great because you'd know who was sending you a message just by the noise...if there's one thing I want to see in MP!3 it'd be that...lol, I called it MP!3 not MP3 because I keep getting mixed up with the audio file type MPEG Audio Layer-3 AKA MP3
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by fluffy_lobster on 03-20-2004 at 10:52 AM

I was just wondering... what's the file size for MP3 looking like compared to MP2?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Anubis on 03-20-2004 at 11:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
I was just wondering... what's the file size for MP3 looking like compared to MP2?
I'd guess MP!3 will be about 3.2mb to about 3.5mb…but until the final release I doubt we'll know...
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-20-2004 at 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
I'd guess MP!3 will be about 3.2mb to about 3.5mb…but until the final release I doubt we'll know...
yep, I agree. It won't be too much bigger unless patchou adds new sounds or big bitmaps.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Dane on 03-20-2004 at 04:55 PM

The 3MB is well worth the download.  However you'd prolly want to have a MirrorList Again.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-20-2004 at 05:10 PM

I think it's gonna be smaller because off blasphemer tips :p

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-20-2004 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Huuf
I think it's gonna be smaller because off blasphemer tips :p

lol, no. His tips are good for small programs, I can't use that kind of stuff in Messenger Plus! :). If you wanna know, I've removed the DbgHelp.dll from the setup package (I found out how to do the same thign myself) so I won about 300KB. New features, new graphics and new sound will take more than this but it will help balance the final result :).
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-20-2004 at 06:46 PM

Hmm new sounds :banana:

btw if there is an easter egg in this time I won't tell further :dodgy:

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Shaggie on 03-20-2004 at 08:21 PM

quote:
If you want to continue to talk about the Auto-Accept feature, please go to http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=22810&pid=215979. Thank you :)

Hey Patchou. When I click on this link it says the thread doesn't exist.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-20-2004 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
Hey Patchou. When I click on this link it says the thread doesn't exist.
I think the thread has been deleted, but there are several thread about the same. Search them ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Kryptonate on 03-21-2004 at 02:28 PM

looks great :) keep up the good work Patchou (y)

BTW: MP!3 Reinvented looks good:p (or Reloaded? :d)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-21-2004 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
BTW: MP!3 Reinvented looks good:p (or Reloaded? :d)
:lol: reloaded should have been MP2, shouldn't it? and in that acse MP3 would be Revolutions :P
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Fraisie on 03-21-2004 at 03:31 PM

Oh yeah !! Plus Revolutions. That kicks ass !!

*Suddenly, Fraisie has tons of ideas for promoting the next versions...

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Kryptonate on 03-21-2004 at 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
:lol: reloaded should have been MP2, shouldn't it? and in that acse MP3 would be Revolutions :P
I know, but I was thinking about Win XP Reloaded, didn't thought about The Matrix actually..:p MP!3 Revolutions... nice :d (I hope it's better then the movie :p (looks already like it:d))
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-21-2004 at 06:42 PM

Patchou did you get my mail about a possible bug that would be in the auto accepting?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-21-2004 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Patchou did you get my mail about a possible bug that would be in the auto accepting?
^o) what is that (possible) bug about?
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-21-2004 at 07:42 PM

With the Messenger Plus! auto accept feature

If you send to many files you get the message that the file not yet could be retrieved, If messenger plus! doesn't check if that message is there, then it will possible
a) flood the user with messages
b) crash msn messenger
c) crash msgplus
d) all of the above

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-21-2004 at 07:47 PM

quote:
flood the user with messages
only the user who sends the files, right? at the other side, where plus is autoaccepting files, nothing happens and no mesage is shown. I think that's what happens. In this case, the user who is sending the files is who is harmed, not the other who told plus to autoaccept files. Am i wrong? I don't think so..
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-21-2004 at 07:51 PM

No client A and B are chatting
client A sends 30 files to client B
Client B will get flooded (tried it)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-21-2004 at 07:52 PM

Edit: Blah, Hoof beat me to it.... :p Well, I still made another point so I won't delete this post.

@Choli: No, the person who sends can't be flooded as he's the one who's sending the files.

The other person, however, can be flooded with file transfer requests, and if Plus! receives them all instantly, it could accept hundreds of requests per minute. However, MSN Messenger can't accept more than 5 simultaneous transfers or so, so I don't see a big problem there... :p

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-21-2004 at 08:18 PM

No but IF plus keeps pressing the accept button, the 5 simultaneous error message will show up, and again, and again, and again.......

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-21-2004 at 08:22 PM

That's true, and that's why Auto-Accept is not enabled by default and why you can chose for who you want to enable it. If you get flooded, it's your responsability :).

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-21-2004 at 08:46 PM

So, once in a while you get accidently get 6 files and the user get flooded, can't msgplus look into the last sended message, and if the same message is displayed again, it doesn't try to accept the download again =/

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-21-2004 at 09:36 PM

so the warning is displayed at the receiver side? I think once I tried to send a lot of files and the warning poped up in my side, the sender and the receiver didn't notice that...

well, i'll test it, however I trust you, if you said you tested it before.

quote:
If you get flooded, it's your responsability .
I agree, but Plus should do something too.
What if 6 contacts send 1 file each one and you can only receive 5? Plus should not accept the last one, or better, send a message (that should be able to be personaliced :P) that says "I can't receive this file now. I'll receive it later or Try sending it to me later" and plus cancels the accepting.

I hope you get me.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-21-2004 at 10:58 PM

WOW i'm glad there is a lot of discussion of my idea on here!! I hope that i'm not causing you to much problems Patchou lol!!

I wouldn't mind testing out the Auto_Accept Patchou to see, how you went about doing this feature and if there is any more suggestions I could give it to you!

I Know people said it was suggested before, but I really think i was the first. I looked through almost every thread possible and the only person I could find was ME!! LOL

AGAIN THANK YOU PATCHOU!

You're our Big Major Msn Messenger Hero :o)

p.s : want more screenshots lol!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by EvilSeph on 03-22-2004 at 01:48 AM

Great work Patch!

I can't wait for MP3 (beta too) :P
\o/ I have an even better idea, drop the name Messenger Plus! 3 and call it MP3 ;) [just joking, adding to what I said to you via Messenger :P]

Anyway, don't bother reading my post, I don't want to keep you from programming MP3 =p!

Good luck on another successful release!

-ES

brianjdupuis:
Suggestions and Ideas are given for the sole improvement of Messenger Plus!, people don't get credit in Messenger Plus! unless they are testers or contribute actual CODE. You may have made a suggestion that is popular, but screenshots don't count as code. Also, this feature has been requested countless times and shot down by the respected members of this forum and myself. Chances are then, that they are all deleted by a Testing and Trashing prune.

Regarding being a beta tester: Patchou has already created a list of Beta testers that he trusts and to be quite honest, Patchou hardly knows you, he hasn't seen any of your experience and whether or not you are trustable is questionable. As Patchou has already stated before, he's already sure of who is a beta tester and doesn't require anymore. Once again, this wasn't your idea. It has been suggested many times, via IM, IRC and the forums.

Furthermore, I don't think it's polite to go into the IRC channel saying you made the Auto-Accept feature in Messenger Plus! I don't find it at all respectful to steal Patchou's credit..if it was done unintentionally, then sorry.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-22-2004 at 05:31 AM

I think I see what you mean for the auto-accept, and one thing is sure: I never saw any popup on the receiver side while I was testing. This is not supposed to happen. If it does happen and you knwo a good way to reproduce the problem, let me know and I'll fix it :).

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-22-2004 at 11:59 AM

Ok, created 2 test accounts and going to email the results to patchou,
(patchou if you don't get anything say it here)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-22-2004 at 07:03 PM

If the error is only written in the conversation window, I see no reason to have Plus! do the limiting itself. Being flooded with that kind of messages is exactly the same as being flooded with normal messages from a contact. It can happen to anyone, even without Plus!.
Furthermore, in this case you can enable auto-accept for trusted parties only, while text floods can come from anyone on your list (or even from people not on your list if your security settings are loose).

Getting pop-ups from it is a different thing though. :p

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-22-2004 at 08:46 PM

:-/

sock: person A sends to B, B has plus with autoaccept enabled: If A can't send, he gets the usual message from messenger in a message box (usual message box of Windows...), there's no message in the conversation window and noone gets flooded.

If it is B who can't receive, then Plus sends a message to A saying "I can't receive now" and who's flooded (if it happens, what, btw, is less probable)? A is. A receives the "I can't receive now" messages and the more times A tries to send the file the more messages s/he gets... In B's conversation window those messages are shown too, true, but who cares? If B has autoaccepted enabled that's because s/he is away (i meant s/he isn't at the computer, not necessarily in away status) and then when s/he returns will see the conversation with lots of "I can't receive now" messages... well, s/he closes it and nothing has happened.

But there's a but: What if B is talking at the computer (not away) and has autoaccept enabled? Well, in that case s/he'd be flooded, but would be able to disable that. Anyway, in that case, there's another question: When should Plus autoaccept files? I may have autoaccept enabled but if I'm at the computer I want to select the folder where the file should be saved and even if I want to accept it or not (even if the contact is one of the trusted ones allowed in autoaccept configuration). With all this I mean Plus should provide a way to notice if the user is at the computer and then disable temporally the autoaccept.

The last thing is: Without autoacept, you can be flooded too. A sends files to B and B doesn't want them. B cancels the sending but a sends again and again (and / or sends 20 thousand files at the same time...). The flooding is somethig that may happen with or without plus.

Well, I hope Patchou finds the right way to implement this. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by aNILEator on 03-22-2004 at 08:56 PM

I've never had this usually i just get a message in the convo window saying error in transfer

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Huuf on 03-22-2004 at 09:58 PM

The test didn''t show any message at the sending side ¬_¬

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by ZrednaZ on 03-22-2004 at 10:44 PM

Auto-accepted files should definitely be placed in a seperate folder so you cound easily see what has been recieved while you were away. If they were placed in My recieved files (where I have a ton of files already) it would be harder to notice.

Another option would be for Plus to display a "welcome back" message.

Dear user. Welcome back! Plus! has auto-accepted the following files while you were away:

xxx.mp3
xxx.jpg

Anyway, you get the picture ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-22-2004 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Auto-accepted files should definitely be placed in a seperate folder so you cound easily see what has been recieved while you were away. If they were placed in My recieved files (where I have a ton of files already) it would be harder to notice.
of course, and maybe a diferent folder per each user/contact
quote:
Another option would be for Plus to display a "welcome back" message.

Dear user. Welcome back! Plus! has auto-accepted the following files while you were away:
you'll see the conversation window, anyway
quote:
xxx.jpg
xxx? :pound:

:lol:
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Pappapishu on 03-22-2004 at 11:11 PM

i think the auto accept thing is quite dangerous, no telling what a friend could send you just for 'fun'

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by ZrednaZ on 03-22-2004 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pappapishu
i think the auto accept thing is quite dangerous, no telling what a friend could send you just for 'fun'

well as long as the files don't get auto-executed you should be O.K.....
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by sock on 03-22-2004 at 11:33 PM

Choli: I wasn't talking about an auto msg saying "I can't auto-accept any more files" (which, by the way, would be redundant IMO), I was talking about the message that Windows/MSN Messenger itself shows to you (user B) when you can't receive any more files.

Coming to think of it, MSN Messenger does open a pop-up window in that case (on the receiving side only), so if it allows multiple pop-ups in the same convo (I haven't tested it), it could indeed be grounds for a pop-up flood.... :-/

There are two solutions I can think of: A. Have Plus! limit the transfers as suggested, maybe allow the user to specify max. simultaneous file transfers for auto-accept. B. Somehow block the pop-up windows when auto-accepting (and perhaps print the message in the conversation window instead).

But I don't know, it's not that critical as you can still enable the feature for specific users, after all... :-/

BTW, does anyone know how many simultaneous file transfers are allowed on Windows Messenger 4.7/5.0 and MSN Messenger 5.0? (MSN Messenger 6.x allows 5, right?:))

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-23-2004 at 12:51 AM

I think the best idea is to have it limit the transfers as suggested by the user and how many files ar expected. So if user A is expecting 4 files from User B then you could set it up that way maybe..............

just an idea!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by bnevets27 on 03-23-2004 at 02:46 AM

a limit would b nice, especially if u could possibly have ur msn crashed by someone else b/c if ur not at ur comp and someone crashs ur msn there goes ur away msg's etc, would b kind anoyin, and i'll just throw this in b/c auto-accept is bein talked about again, if u had a pop for the sender that requires a password (have this as an option so that the user can decide what he wants) the sender won't send 30 files if he has to type a password ever time u send a file, it will anoyin him before u.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-23-2004 at 03:46 AM

Once again, you're all trying too hard... auto-accept is neet and simple, don't transfer it into a monster feature nobody will ever use :). I did some tests and fixed the flood risk this way: if a popup is displayed when Accept is clicked, Plus! doesn't auto-accept anything else for a few seconds. Here, problem solved, subject closed :).

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-23-2004 at 03:49 AM

Can we seee some Screenshots now Patchou!!! :) lol

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by chris on 03-23-2004 at 06:10 AM

I think u closed the subject on auto accept several time now but ppl keep bringing it up!:p and brianjdupuis just hold up! the release will be soon enough.. the more screenies u get the less u will have to explore when it finaly is realased!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress > auto accept files.. by warreng on 03-23-2004 at 11:43 AM

Mirc has add this feature for a long time and many security issues have come up but they've also been solved.

Firstly Mirc gives you three options on Send requests:

Show get dialog
Auto-get file and [] (< tickbox) minimize (send window)
  If file exists:
    Ask, Resume, Overwrite, Cancel [Trusted] (< button)
Ignore all

The trusted button shows a small dialog with the follow:

[] Limit auto-get to trusted users
[] Sow get dialog for non-trusted users.

You can enter a wildcard address below in the form of nick!user@host.

If you do not enter a full address, your entry is treated as a user level.

Than it shows a list box and [add] [delete] buttons.

I'm not suggesting you copy what is shown in mirc, of course not. What I am suggesting is that you borrow and utilise some of what others have learnt.

I also read further back that someone suggested that a password be added to increase security. Patchou, you than replied back saying that it would be verbose (or somthing to that effect)
I however strongly disagree with you on this. I personalyl feel that having increased security with passwords (optional) would decrease the possiblity of worms and trojens being spread.

There are programs out there that can easily be downloaded that all require a person to do is send it to the victom and get them to run it.

There could also be the issue of someone using other peoples computers, stolen or a friend of a friend.

There are just too many things that could go wrong, that passwords may only be the best solution. Either, password on 'show get dialog' or a password storage, custom passwords for each nick etc.

ps. theres also an option that users can seperate downloads according to file prefix and nicknames. Some defaults are as such:
*.mp3 - c:\mirc\mp3s
defalt - c:\mirc\download

so if you were to create a list where people could change the default placement of downloads (yes i know messenger already has this. but it helps to have this in the 'get folder list' and have some defaults such as *.mp3s being sent to another folder.

I don't know.
purhaps all this could be added later on in an addon.

animated images in display picture by bungleMX on 03-23-2004 at 07:15 PM

hi, i don`t know if this has been asked before, insert an animated gif in "display picture" and me and users who has plus instaled can view the animated picture sounds like a create idea for me, of course if the animated pictures shows animated even if the other user desnt has plus would be better.
well as usual sorry about my english and if i post this in the wrong place

c.u.

RE: animated images in display picture by Sunshine on 03-23-2004 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bungleMX
hi, i don`t know if this has been asked before, insert an animated gif in "display picture" and me and users who has plus instaled can view the animated picture sounds like a create idea for me, of course if the animated pictures shows animated even if the other user desnt has plus would be better.
well as usual sorry about my english and if i post this in the wrong place

c.u.

The possibility to have a moving avatar (displaypic) in msnmessenger will be a new feature in MSN messenger 6.2 expected april 22nd..so all can see em not only the ones that have plus :)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by bungleMX on 03-23-2004 at 07:37 PM

CoOl, thats was a very fast replay. where can i know this like that? like features in the next version of messnger? like this one?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Tochjo on 03-23-2004 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bungleMX
where can i know this like that? like features in the next version of messnger?
A good site with lots of news is http://www.mess.be - it's probably where Sunshine got her information.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Lizard on 03-24-2004 at 12:28 AM

Some other suggestion for version 3 I recently thought of:

When somebody adds to to a multi-chat conversation, there's no entry about that in the log files, it would be nice if that could be added. So one can see who added you.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by lizard.boy on 03-24-2004 at 12:32 AM

howabout skinable text logs? like you put tags in the place you want them because i would like to play around with the way it is set up.. the word wrap makes it harder to read.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-24-2004 at 03:35 AM

lol... in case you have not noticed, this is not a suggestion thread :). I appreciate the fact that you want to bring new ideas but I've been working continuously onPlus!3 since january and now, I'm on he final stage so nothing new will be added (maybe some little things but that's all)... I got to release the new version at some point and there's already many many things to use.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by bach_m on 03-24-2004 at 03:45 AM

have u started the beta yet??? or are u gonna start it soon?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-24-2004 at 04:06 AM

this week :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by davidusum on 03-24-2004 at 04:07 AM

organized how great is a addon that's organized i can't wait for it!!!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by bnevets27 on 03-24-2004 at 08:00 AM

all i have to say is good work patchou :beer:

[Image: banana_flip.gif]

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by theasker on 03-24-2004 at 09:25 AM

i got the best idea, i couldnt find the suggestion posts so i came here :P, for the auto accept, we should be able to choose what we ant it to accept, eg it cancels .exe files and acceps .jpg files or something like that, and when our status is away it doesnt accept webcam and game invitations. u think its good?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Wabz on 03-24-2004 at 10:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theasker
i got the best idea, i couldnt find the suggestion posts so i came here :P, for the auto accept, we should be able to choose what we ant it to accept, eg it cancels .exe files and acceps .jpg files or something like that, and when our status is away it doesnt accept webcam and game invitations. u think its good?

Thats actually quite a good sugguestion!  Options to select which file types are acceptable is perhaps a good idea to maximize safety of this feature :)  (Y)

quote:
this week :)

:banana: 

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by warreng on 03-24-2004 at 10:44 AM

yep, I agree. default files that should be ignored:  exe, com, bat .. .anything that could be potentially harmful.

(/me borrows mircs’ system once again)

Perhaps:

Method of ignoring: Disabled, Accept/Ignore Only (those file types in a list)

than a list showing file types. (add/remove)

than have a tick box [] Turn ignore back on in [15] min.

setup a manual shortcut in messages /accept (nicks name/e-mail address/IP address)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Fraisie on 03-24-2004 at 04:29 PM

Would you stop already with the auto-accept feature ?

By default, it is disabled. And I dont believe people from your contact list will attempt to send you naughty files. If they do, maybe you are the one to blame, just stop adding dodgy people to your list :P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Pure_BY on 03-24-2004 at 04:37 PM

quote:
(Y) (Y) Indeed a very good suggestion!!! I like!!! (Y) (Y)

Btw, can't wait for beta-testing-period to start :P
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by brianjdupuis on 03-24-2004 at 08:45 PM

Yeah I really like that suggestion also!!!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by MC Inferno on 03-24-2004 at 09:09 PM

I love it (L) I know its a little oof topic, but SLim_Shady doesnt have like Eminem :P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by ]|[y40k. on 03-24-2004 at 09:24 PM

I dont use MSN Messenger without MSGPlus :D

Would be cool if in MSN conversation window was Winamp controls...(Y)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by CoReDooM on 03-25-2004 at 12:41 PM

quote:

Thats a great suggestion theasker!!!... :D Would love to see that in Messenger Plus 3!!!

Patchou do you think you can implement it, I think theres been alot of votes for it. :D hehe... Keep posting guys so this can get into our awsome addon. ;)

-CoReDooM
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Golfgast58 on 03-25-2004 at 03:14 PM

Patchou, are you going to add new sounds to the newest version?

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Tochjo on 03-25-2004 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Golfgast58
Patchou, are you going to add new sounds to the newest version?
quote:
[snip]
New features, new graphics and new sound
[snip]
I snipped a lot, but this will answer your question :)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Guido on 03-25-2004 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I snipped a lot, but this will answer your question :)
Yes, it comes with some new emotion sounds (Y).

And, though I know we shouldn't talk about it :P, I think the "don't auto-accept these extensions" feature should be added, it definitely comes handy.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Johnny_Mac on 03-25-2004 at 07:07 PM

About sending viruses/worms for example... Couldnt you just ZIP with auto-extract dodgy stuff. Therefore blocking some extensions may hlep but not solve the problem?

The other stuff suggested though was good. (y)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by CoReDooM on 03-26-2004 at 12:17 AM

Auto extract, thats not possible if you have... Well I don't think so.

-CoReDooM

Contact activity log by Pirula on 03-26-2004 at 12:54 AM

I need to see the history of the "event log activity" by contact. Or, failing that, to be able, in the event log window, to sort the events by user.

The best would be to have a sub-window with the "contact activity log" in the Contact Manager window.

I hope this would be includeed in the next version.

Luck!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Choli on 03-26-2004 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pirula
in the event log window, to sort the events by user.
quote:
Originally posted by Pirula
I hope this would be includeed in the next version.
It will.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by dotNorma on 03-26-2004 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Screen-shot of the week... here you can see the new multi-format panel

If its screenshot of the week do we get a new screenshot each week , lol :tongue: Because If we dont should it just say "Screenshot". I would very much enjoy a screenshot every week of how kool plus! will be. Hmm..I guess with this neato new plus! button in our toolbar thing that the share button is bassiclly back :grin: (always loved that)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3 Progress by Patchou on 03-26-2004 at 07:17 AM

Well, I changed my mind about the screenshots, I prefer to keep some more surprise :).

As everyone seems to ignore what I say and continue to make tons of suggestions, I'm closing the thread :p.