Shoutbox

Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? (/showthread.php?tid=22728)

Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by matty on 03-17-2004 at 03:46 AM

I compressed the size of the msnmsgr.exe file and plus! would still hook the menu, but would not respond to any commands. I guess you cannot change the exe in any way. But i was able to compress all the .dlls and it would still work.

Any idea why that is Patchou?

Thanks
Matty

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by Patchou on 03-17-2004 at 07:05 AM

Compressing the exe? hum... I don't know what you meant by that but it seems dangerous :p. Plus! doesn't have any direct relation with the size of the Messenger files, I guess you jsut broke something ;)

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by Wabz on 03-17-2004 at 10:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
hook the menu, but would not respond to any commands. I guess you cannot change the exe in any way. But i was able to compress all the .dlls and it would still work.

It does sound dangerous :S

How did you compress the .exe and if it's compressed it would be smaller but take longer to process wouldnt it as it would have to uncompress to it's normal size to be used ?

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by kao on 03-17-2004 at 10:59 AM

I wanna know why you did it :undecided: I'm not sure your worried about the size of the file, its only 4.46mb, not exactly big and something to be worried about :undecided:

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by matty on 03-17-2004 at 01:49 PM

Well I was just curious if I could in fact compress it, see i use this tool for my VB Apps when they become large in size.

I attached the Compressing app if anyone would like it :).

Matty

P.S. Thanks to Sk3tch for this

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by Pappapishu on 03-17-2004 at 02:11 PM

why would anyone want to compress the .exe?

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by matty on 03-17-2004 at 02:21 PM

Well i was checking to see if the Compression tool was for vb apps or any apps.

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by Anubis on 03-17-2004 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ---+[Matty]+---
You could try any .exe and you should only have tested it on backup version if you were testing it on that...Microsoft know what they're doing or they'd compress it themselves.
RE: RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by matty on 03-17-2004 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by anubis_kree_
quote:
Originally posted by ---+[Matty]+---
You could try any .exe and you should only have tested it on backup version if you were testing it on that...Microsoft know what they're doing or they'd compress it themselves.

I guess i didn't make myself clear enough 8-) MSN Still worked, Plus! still hooked, just the commands didn't respond, (obviously i am going to try it on a back up version, I am not that stupid come on, I am a tech :P)

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by LaggingTom on 03-18-2004 at 02:21 AM

I compressed Messenger just fine, and everything worked...

Of course, this is just the normal NTFS compression that comes with XP ;-)

RE: Cant change msnmsgr.exe in any way? by CookieRevised on 03-18-2004 at 10:23 AM

UPX-compressing is indeed used by many (professional) software developers (cause it is free to use). It's one of the most common way to compress win32 files nowadays.

For example: If you're using ResHack on a program/DLL and you get the message that it isn't a valid win32 resource type, then try to decompress the file with UPX. Chances are that it was compressed with it.

There are many other compression methods available though. But UPX is currently the most common one. Of course many settings are possible, and one must look out for not breaking the exe/dll (or resources within the file) while compressing.

PS: the timedelay for uncompressing the EXE when you run it is only some milliseconds. You won't notice a thing...

PSS: Matty download the "latest" version (relative of course as it is from nov 7th 2002) on http://upx.sourceforge.net/. (The one you linked is from may 23rd 2001)