Shoutbox

gif - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: gif (/showthread.php?tid=23024)

gif by marissa on 03-25-2004 at 03:36 AM

How can you create gif images, and edit them? cuz that'd be soooo cool:'(

RE: gif by CookieRevised on 03-25-2004 at 03:41 AM

errrr... what any (and most) standard graphics program...

RE: gif by bach_m on 03-25-2004 at 03:41 AM

gifs, or animated gifs??? cuz almost any image editing program will let u edit a regular gif, but u need an animator to animate them (duh)

theres a bunch out there. Ulead Gif Animator. Fireworks can do it... i htink corel has a program to do it...

RE: gif by marissa on 03-25-2004 at 03:42 AM

the animated ones...but thanks(Y)

RE: gif by Pappapishu on 03-25-2004 at 02:21 PM

can you turn a .jpg into gif? 'cause all my .jpg are too big to fit as an avatar

RE: RE: gif by Luthion on 03-25-2004 at 02:45 PM

Adobe Illustartor (comes with Photoshop) can also animate gifs.

quote:
Originally posted by Pappapishu
can you turn a .jpg into gif? 'cause all my .jpg are too big to fit as an avatar

Sure, just open it in (almost?) any image editor and choose "Save As" and "File Type" (or somthing like that) as gif.
RE: gif by Pappapishu on 03-25-2004 at 03:19 PM

well but mine can't, where can i get one that does?

RE: gif by Johnny_Mac on 03-25-2004 at 03:29 PM

quote:
well but mine can't, where can i get one that does?
Get what? If you have Windows you can use Microsoft Paint? (Heard of it?) That does just that!!
RE: gif by CookieRevised on 03-25-2004 at 06:07 PM

but changing a filetype wont alter the size of an image though...

RE: gif by Johnny_Mac on 03-25-2004 at 07:03 PM

blah... what are we talking about here. The actual pixel size of an image or the file size? Someone needs to clear this up. :P

RE: gif by DJeX on 03-26-2004 at 12:09 PM

Try useing Animation Shop 3. It comes with Paint Shop Pro 8.

RE: gif by Pappapishu on 03-26-2004 at 12:22 PM

i tried using paint, but instead of reducing it's kb it has increased! and the pictures loose quality

RE: gif by Theo on 03-26-2004 at 01:09 PM

i thot u could only save as .bmp in paint ;o

neways i use psp7 ;)

RE: gif by CookieRevised on 03-27-2004 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Theo
i thot u could only save as .bmp in paint ;o
neways i use psp7 ;)
Sometimes... but most people nowadays can...:

- Paint introduced the additional formats (GIF, JPG, ...) in Windows 98.
- It doesn't depend on your OS at all (well that is, Win95 wont have it, because...)... It depends on what version of Microsoft Office you have installed...

The reason why some OS's have it and some not:
* The JPG (and GIF) filter is not installed or is damaged.
  or
* You've installed Office 2000 SR1 or SP2

Microsoft Knowledge Base (Article 298580) says in short:
To ensure the filter is installed, launch Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. Select Microsoft Office and choose Add/Remove; then choose Add or Remove Features. Expand the Converters and Filters selection. Click on Graphic Filters and select Run all from my Computer. Finally, click on Update Now.
The filter in question is installed along with Microsoft Office, but strangely, Paint still wont realize this until you alert it to the filter's presence by opening a GIF or JPEG file.
So, now launch Paint, click on Open, and select a GIF or JPEG image (you'll have to set Files of type to All files). Once you've done that, you should also be able to save files in either of the two formats.

If you installed Office 2000 SR1 or SP2, you need to go to the registry. How to fix this:
Microsoft Knowledge Base (Article 299953)

Another article about it (for Win98):
Microsoft Knowledge Base (Article 193354)

RE: gif by Kryptonate on 03-27-2004 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
but changing a filetype wont alter the size of an image though...
I think he means the file size

In Paint you can save images as bmp's, jpeg's, gif's, png's or tiff's
RE: gif by CookieRevised on 03-27-2004 at 08:07 PM

quote:
i tried using paint, but instead of reducing it's kb it has increased! and the pictures loose quality
That's normal, depending on what kind of image you're saving.

JPG can compress your image filesize very much. (although the higher the compression, the lower the image quality). GIF doesn't have that kind of compression. And thus (depending on what type of image you got) the filesize is higher.

Mind you that this isn't always true. Like said, it highly depends on what kind of image you're saving and on what number of colors it uses, and if there are big spaces in the image with the same color, etc... etc...

Also, again depening on the type of image, quality itself isn't lost when you convert JPG to GIF; only the colors are reduced. JPG can use +16million colors, while gif only supports 256 colors. If this is what you mean by "loosing quality", then yes, that's normal...

I suggest to read some things about graphic formats, what is what, how-to's, etc... etc... Try a google-search on the net.... Or read the helpfiles that come with many graphics programs (including the one in paint).

Also, it takes some skill (or a decent wizard) to reduce a JPG to a GIF without loosing too much "quality"...