Shoutbox

true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 (/showthread.php?tid=23283)

true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by lylesback2 on 04-03-2004 at 07:21 PM

this is probably false, but it is roumered that MSN 7 will be updated to 500 contacts!  I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but heard this on a site... but it's not an official site, more of a underground source... i can't locate the site now, but just wondering... im guessing this is fake, but could be true..

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Kryptonate on 04-03-2004 at 07:34 PM

as long as an official news-site or MSN itself doesn't say a thing about MSN Messenger 7 I'm not gonna believe a thing that's being told about it:)

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Stigmata on 04-03-2004 at 07:40 PM

nope!!!!! not a change in heavens earth......

there just wont be enough space

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by lylesback2 on 04-03-2004 at 07:51 PM

if they can afford to jack up hotmail, why not msn?  it doesnt take alot of room right?  the .xsl files don't take up alot of room

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Kryptonate on 04-03-2004 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
if they can afford to jack up hotmail, why not msn?  it doesnt take alot of room right?  the .xsl files don't take up alot of room
They're not gonna enlarge the Hotmail storage space, not for now at least.

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Guido on 04-03-2004 at 09:35 PM

I don't think it's true (at least that much), but it's a good time for updating the contact list sizes...

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by ind3nt on 04-04-2004 at 07:18 AM

500???? who would need that many contacts?

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Stigmata on 04-04-2004 at 07:20 AM

im already using nearly 200

i would love it, but well....dont believe it

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Huuf on 04-04-2004 at 07:48 AM

I think it's false because you think a bit logical, you see that there is mentioned a program, and this isn't related to a program, but this is maybe a protocol thing, and a server thing, if they enlarge the contact list, all versions windows messenger AND msn messenger would have it enlarged

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Guido on 04-04-2004 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Huuf
I think it's false because you think a bit logical, you see that there is mentioned a program, and this isn't related to a program, but this is maybe a protocol thing, and a server thing, if they enlarge the contact list, all versions windows messenger AND msn messenger would have it enlarged
Well, maybe not... the restrictions can be hard-coded in the programs as well (like the program warns you that you can't add the 150th contact BECAUSE it "knows" the server doesn't allow it).

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by surfichris on 04-04-2004 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Well, maybe not... the restrictions can be hard-coded in the programs as well (like the program warns you that you can't add the 150th contact BECAUSE it "knows" the server doesn't allow it).
Yes, but the server could be responding with an error message.. The program could actually just contain the dialog.. when it receives some crap like "BUDDY LIST FULL" it will show the dialog.

It doesn't have to be hard coded in.. doing it this way would allow them the customisation if it was changed, users wouldnt have to roll out to new clients.
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Guido on 04-04-2004 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Yes, but the server could be responding with an error message.. The program could actually just contain the dialog.. when it receives some crap like "BUDDY LIST FULL" it will show the dialog.

It doesn't have to be hard coded in.. doing it this way would allow them the customisation if it was changed, users wouldnt have to roll out to new clients.
I'm not saying how it should be done, I'm saying how it's probably done now.

I mean that if they update the protocol, more than 150 contacts will only be available in [insert_version_here] or superior.
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Pr0xY on 04-05-2004 at 01:46 PM

500 contacts, there aren't even that many kids in my school,  I only have 178 contacts on my list, and about 48% of them are almost never online anyways.  what if  even 30% of those 500 contacts are online, I'd like to meet a person that would be able to pull of having 150 people talking to him at one time, it would lag like no tomarrow.

go ahead and have ur 500 contacts(if its even true), I"m keeping my 178.

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by bra1nwash on 04-05-2004 at 02:55 PM

i would love to have 500 contacts but i doubt MSN would let us do that...:rolleyes:

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by saralk on 04-05-2004 at 04:27 PM

there should be a feature that lets you load contact lists from external websites, so u can save ur contact list on ur server, and then just load it up so u can have infinate contacts

RE: RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Jordan2004 on 04-05-2004 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
it would lag like no tomarrow.

The actual bandwidth used by just msn conversation is quite small, but talking to anywhere near that amount would drain system resources hugely. Most systems just wouldn't be able to cope with that.
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by CookieRevised on 04-05-2004 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
there should be a feature that lets you load contact lists from external websites, so u can save ur contact list on ur server, and then just load it up so u can have infinate contacts
The first has actualy little todo with the second...
You can save your contactlist already... And, of course, you can load it again, but this doesn't nessecairly means it is added or replaced. That depends on the program and protocol.

Weither you save your contactlist to your pc or upload it to an other server doesn't matter. It is just a file like everything else. So save your contactlist, put it on a FTP place somewhere, and you can download it wherever you are (for any dodgy reason you want)...
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by bach_m on 04-05-2004 at 07:33 PM

* bach_m thinks ppl need to get their bullshit meters re-calibrated

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by creamhackered on 04-08-2004 at 12:43 AM

atm i don't think that MSN are planning to release a MSN Messenger 7.0. Instead they're planning to intergrate it more with MSN Explorer and turn it into 9.0/10.0

It's still at planning stages and work is still being carried out on messenger 7.0 (alphas etc) but who knows.

As for 500 contacts, it's probable but recently the messenger servers are having stability problems (worse than when messenger 6 leaked).

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by lylesback2 on 04-08-2004 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy_nuk3r
500 contacts, there aren't even that many kids in my school,  I only have 178 contacts on my list, and about 48% of them are almost never online anyways.  what if  even 30% of those 500 contacts are online, I'd like to meet a person that would be able to pull of having 150 people talking to him at one time, it would lag like no tomarrow.

go ahead and have ur 500 contacts(if its even true), I"m keeping my 178.
178?  the MAXIMUM ammount is 150!  you can not bypass the 150 limit, unless you use contact enlarger... which you never mentioned.

quote:
Originally posted by creamhackered
atm i don't think that MSN are planning to release a MSN Messenger 7.0. Instead they're planning to intergrate it more with MSN Explorer and turn it into 9.0/10.0

It's still at planning stages and work is still being carried out on messenger 7.0 (alphas etc) but who knows.

As for 500 contacts, it's probable but recently the messenger servers are having stability problems (worse than when messenger 6 leaked).
seems like MSN Messenger doesn't go passed the ?.2. anymore... the only version that got passed it really, is MSN 4 :P that went to 4.7... i guess they gotta put EVERYTHING into one messenger, before upgrading it again... MSN 5 didn't last long.. 6.0 didn't either... now 6.1 is going where exactly... onto 6.2 :D  what will 6.3 hold?
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by lucky7 on 04-10-2004 at 07:49 PM

maybe they will roll out some kind of "msn extra contacts" like "hotmail extra storage" that you have to pay for? hmm

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by Kryptonate on 04-10-2004 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lucky7
maybe they will roll out some kind of "msn extra contacts" like "hotmail extra storage" that you have to pay for? hmm
would be kinda dumb, because people would just get a second account like they do now.
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by brianjdupuis on 04-10-2004 at 08:13 PM

The new msn messenger 6.2 should be leaked soon, all microsoft products do!! i'm suprised it's not out yet :)

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by reisyboy on 04-10-2004 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by creamhackered

Hmm but wasnt this "roumered" to be due to a protocall change and modification, seems to me every time they do that they have teething problems, part of it is probably todo with that. If it was that.
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by s7a5 on 04-10-2004 at 09:12 PM

im sure MSN 7 will be bundled with MSN 9.1 or if u want to use it separatly u'll have to pay fees. MSN 7 will have features like animated dp and custom animated emots. There were rumors that they'll do it in 6.2 but i think they changed their mind :(
well lets just wait .. :chrongue:

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by reisyboy on 04-10-2004 at 09:43 PM

Hmmmm more than likly for 'advanced' features you will need MSN Exp, or pay fees. However MS will not cut off or give much less than thr full product for free, they have only just built there IM Platform to one of the most widlty used of all. They will not cut off they 'high' features and improvments for free because of the competition gaining back what they lost to MSN Messenger for example AOL Messenger. I would say expect some features possibly in the launch menu to be paid for, but not physical parts of the platform like Ani D/P if they do it, it makes no sense to start charging for that.

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by brianjdupuis on 04-11-2004 at 02:55 AM

If it wasn't for Messenger Plus! and with having all my friends use Msn Messenger, I would be switching to another peice of software like AOL,Yahoo, or even ICQ. I think Patchou should make his own Messenger service!!!.

RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by CookieRevised on 04-11-2004 at 02:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by S7a5
im sure MSN 7 will be bundled with MSN 9.1 or if u want to use it separatly u'll have to pay fees. MSN 7 will have features like animated dp and custom animated emots. There were rumors that they'll do it in 6.2 but i think they changed their mind :(
well lets just wait .. :chrongue:
:rolleyes: if you're going to use abrivations, do it correctly: "bundling msn 7 in msn 9.1"????? You mean msn messenger 7 in MSN Premium Service (or whatever it is called) 9.1. This is exactly how misinformation and rumours start.....

Furthermore: "MSN 7 will have features like animated dp and custom animated emots." Who said that? MS did NOT say ONE SINGLE THING about it. Please proof me wrong... These are all RUMOURS and SPECULATION. So how can you say "but i think they changed their mind"????? They didn't say they're gonna do it in the first place!!!!!

If it turns out that ani-DP's/CE's will be possible in a futur build, then good. But don't blame MS or don't say they changed there mind if they don't implement it. Until MS makes a statement or we can use the ani-DP's/CE's, all these reports are SPECULATION and nothing more and should be treated like that.

I'm sorry but :@
RE: true or false? 500 contacts! MSN7 by s7a5 on 04-11-2004 at 03:50 AM

k k relax and grab a cookie :D
i was just expressing my opinion, my god u people are so sensitive :o