Shoutbox

How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? (/showthread.php?tid=23379)

How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 08:30 AM

I downloaded the Forum thingie from the site.
I just cant figure out how to open the forum I downloaded? there is NO index.html eller index.php and no database ?! It also says there is a MySQL error!? What the!? :@

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Anubis on 04-06-2004 at 08:34 AM

Are you referring to the myBulletinBoard coding? Do you have a server?

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Stigmata on 04-06-2004 at 08:36 AM

open the file you downloaded. upload all files to your server using ftp (easyest way)

then open
http://<your server address> /forum/docs/install.txt

or read this (my install file )

quote:
Installation Documentation
------------

First of all, we would like to thank you for chosing myBB as the software to
drive your community forums.

This file outlines the installation method for myBB on both windows and *nix systems.

Installaiton Instructions:
--------------------------

1.    Unzip all of the files included in the zip archive downloaded
    from the myBB website.

2.    Upload all of the files via FTP to your website, place them in
    a directory such as forums or forum.

3.    Chmod the following files to 666 (ie.. make sure they are writable)

./inc/settings.php
    ./inc/config.php

4.    In your browser, visit the url where you installed the forums with the
    addition of /admin/setup.php on the url.

eg. http://www.yoursite.com/yourforums/admin/setup.php

5.    Please follow the setup wizard through the steps making sure you pay
    attention to what is happening.

6.    After the installation is completed, please remove setup.php from your
    server and for additional security, chmod config.php back to 755.

NOTE: settings.php must remain writable through the whole time of your
          forums being active, this is where settings are written to.

7.    Pat yourself on the back, you should now have a working copy of myBB
    installed.

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 09:03 AM

what is CHMOD!? :o
And YES it is the myBulletinBoard

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-06-2004 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animefan
what is CHMOD!?
A UNIX style command to change file permission, you can use it in a telnet/ssh connection to your server or trough an FTP client. Anyway, is basically just means you need to make the permissions for those files writable.
RE: RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
what is CHMOD!?
A UNIX style command to change file permission, you can use it in a telnet/ssh connection to your server or trough an FTP client. Anyway, is basically just means you need to make the permissions for those files writable.

Hmm... *-)
I have NO IDEA how to anything like this... ^o)

Maybe I should just give up? :(
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-06-2004 at 12:30 PM

quote:
have NO IDEA how to anything like this... Maybe I should just give up?
If you want to understand how webservers work it never hurts to try things (Google is your biggest friend in that).

However before you go on dealing with (web)servers it's really important to understand how to manage file permissions first. Whitout the right permissions no server is safe.
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 01:01 PM

What server?! :o

I dont get half og this! I dont even know what PHP is unless that it is a better HTML thing that updates via databases? ^o)

And how to make these databases I SURELY dont know!
As you saw I couldnt even find out how to unpack the files?
And open them I can't either!! :$

Please contact me at MSN or something if you have about 45356464567657 days to teach me how to! +o(

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-06-2004 at 01:12 PM

quote:
if you have about 45356464567657 days to teach me how to
Hmm, i didn't plan to live that long, sorry. No offence, but maybe you should indeed just give up :).
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 01:15 PM

you should first try to learn more about PHP, MySQL, webservers and the basic stuff you can do with files :)

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
you should first try to learn more about PHP, MySQL, webservers and the basic stuff you can do with files :)

Where and what? :)
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by saralk on 04-06-2004 at 03:35 PM

ok, firstly, who is your website with? i.e. geocities, tripod etc...

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
ok, firstly, who is your website with? i.e. geocities, tripod etc...

frac.dk?
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 04:34 PM

PHP
MySQL

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
PHP
MySQL

What of this will help me make the thing I need?? :o
I dont want to read the WHOLE thing about MySQL cause it will take hours!? ^o)

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 05:18 PM

just pick some things to know more about MySQL and PHP :p

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Stigmata on 04-06-2004 at 05:21 PM

ok, if using a ftp client. and easy way is to right click and view properties :)

RE: RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 05:59 PM

quote:
just pick some things to know more about MySQL and PHP :p

Fine now I read something? :)

What then? ^o)
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by ayjay on 04-06-2004 at 08:11 PM

To set up a php forum you have to have a microsoft server and a CGI-BIN. Most free servers do not have this.

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 08:14 PM

Linux servers are good too :)

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-06-2004 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ÐoM!
To set up a php forum you have to have a microsoft server and a CGI-BIN
Errr... whatever happened to just some HTTP server (could be Apache, IIS or anything else with PHP installed and a MySQL database.

I personallly prefer Apache, running just from my home PC under Windows XP.
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 08:36 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ÐoM!
To set up a php forum you have to have a microsoft server and a CGI-BIN
Errr... whatever happened to just some HTTP server (could be Apache, IIS or anything else with PHP installed and a MySQL database.

I personallly prefer Apache, running just from my home PC under Windows XP.

*Animefan says: Is that something you can teach me how to ? :D*
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-06-2004 at 08:41 PM

You could use Apache, which is free, download it from http://www.apache.org ... But it will take time and knowledge to set up  software like these, it's not really something for an average user todo. Also you'll need to leave your PC on and connected to the internet if you want people to be able to visit you forum.

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 08:46 PM

it takes also a lot of your monthly bandwith and some providers don't allow it (at least in Belgium it is :))

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Animefan on 04-06-2004 at 09:09 PM

quote:
You could use Apache, which is free, download it from http://www.apache.org ... But it will take time and knowledge to set up  software like these, it's not really something for an average user todo. Also you'll need to leave your PC on and connected to the internet if you want people to be able to visit you forum.

I agree! This is DEFINATELY NOT something normal human beings should use! :o Im stuck even at installing!? I dunno what my Doman name is and that stuff :S

Nice now I got a headace! ^o) 8o|
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by kao on 04-06-2004 at 09:21 PM

i wouldnt suggest hosting it yourself unless your on a fairly fast connection which is on 24/7 :undecided:

get some webhosting from somewhere (theres a few free ones) and learn how to use ftp etc

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 09:22 PM

problem is that most free hosts don't support PHP and MySQL for your forum :(.

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by kao on 04-06-2004 at 09:32 PM

some do, Lycos does i think

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-06-2004 at 09:46 PM

Another solution if you just want to have you own forum and don't have the time to learn all about webservers/PHP/MySQL is signing up for a remote hosted forum.

Proboards is a good example of that. You don't need to install any software then or have your PC connected to the internet all the time to make it work. However, forums like there are not that advanced like systems as MyBB and you will have a banner on your forum with Proboards. Look for more info on their site: http://www.proboards.com/

quote:
I dunno what my Doman name is and that stuff
You could probally just fill in localhost for domainname and 127.0.0.1 if it wants you to fill in an IP adress. But it will get more complicated then that while setting up PHP right under Windows/Apache. So if you want to save yourself from another headace, take a look at Proboards :).
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by martin on 04-06-2004 at 09:55 PM

you could go here and request it be installed for you

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by ayjay on 04-08-2004 at 01:56 PM

To be honest, I had no idea what I was on about. I heard somewhere that my friend had tried to set up the same type forum as this but he couldn't because he didn't have a Microsoft server or something like that. :huh:

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by martin on 04-08-2004 at 02:00 PM

all u need to run it is a server (apache, or sonthin simular) php and mysql.
im running it on my windows 98 system

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-08-2004 at 02:01 PM

I gues he probally wanted to install a ASP based forum then or something wich requires Frontpage extensions. For these things you may need a Microsoft server (IIS). It's possible with others server too, but alot more work then :).

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by martin on 04-08-2004 at 02:04 PM

he was wanting to install mybb (the software this site is running) which uses php.
and u should be able to use asp on a linux system or anything else if u configure the server right

RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by Menthix on 04-08-2004 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by martin
u should be able to use asp on a linux system or anything else if u configure the server right
Yes, that's what i ment:
quote:
It's possible with others server too, but alot more work then .

The same thing goes for PHP to, it's possible on almost every webserver.
RE: How to make a Forum like Messenger Plus? by jren207 on 06-04-2004 at 01:34 PM

A word of fact is that ASP will not run on Apache. There is no module or add-on that'll make ASP run. Unless someone develops one ;) . PHP does most of the functions that ASP would do anyway...