Shoutbox

Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... (/showthread.php?tid=23390)

Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by CookieRevised on 04-06-2004 at 02:53 PM

About Messenger PowerPlus... Nice example of how things got around and out of hand... Does anybody know what it is? I mean, everybody talks about it as if this is made by MS and all. It isn't... PowerPlus is just another addon, just like Plus! is. It hooks into and needs MSN Messenger just like Plus!. MS has nothing todo with it, they only recommend it. And the Animated DP's (which started the whole thing) of PowerPlus is just PowerPlus' own "avatar-system" and have nothing todo with the Display Picture in MSN Messenger.

I'm sorry, but the big "newssites" should be more carefull when saying things. People will buy anything those sites say... But the sites aren't the Godly Holy Grale of information. Posters at those sites should be aware that 90% of people will believe anything they post just because they are meant to be "big newssites" and they will quote them out of context and the ball gets rolling...

Well, those people who are posting are also just common people who hear and read things from other sites. True, they know a bit more about the matter and (hopefully) do a little reasearch before posting. But put 1 word out of context and the ball gets rolling....

I know some members of this forum are posters at such "newssites", and if they feel attacked, I'm sorry, but I HATE it when there is misinformation. They should know that their posts are going to be (mis)read, (mis)interpreted, copied, put out of context, etc.... so be carefull. If it takes a banner saying: "RUMOR, SPECULATION, NOT CONFIRMED" at the top and bottom of each post, then so be it. That's far better then posting things which nobody is sure of.

This war of information is getting on my nerves... What site posted what first? Who has the best info? etc... Come on... Do you realy think I care what site posted something first? I care if the information is CORRECT, not if it is known and posted before another one could post it...

Also, post the SOURCE from were you got the info from. This is as important (even more important) then the info you post itself!!! If the source is a concurrent newssite, then good, mention it. If the info turns out to be false, you can blame the source. If the info turns out to be correct, then maybe you gave readers another approach to the news so they understand better or readers who wants to know more can look for more; You loose nothing in mentioning a source. You can loose a lot of reliability (spelling :/) if you don't....

The whole thing about Messenger 6.2, ani-DP's, internal sites, leaks, etc.. etc... are gettings out of hand if you ask me, as far as I know these are all RUMORS, SPECULATION and so on. Nothing is for sure (yet). So don't jump of the roof because someone post something like "messenger isn't going to put animated DP's in 6.2". And don't blame MS for not putting it in it... MS didn't say a thing about 6.2 yet, I can't stress that enough...

Things gotten from test-sites, internal sites and stuff are great to read, but it is just that, nothing more. There is a reason why they are "test" and "internal" sites. It's to try things out... to prepare for official things... etc... everything stated on such sites CAN be true, but by all means aren't nessecairly true...

there

I realy needed to spawn this out right now....

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Choli on 04-06-2004 at 03:40 PM

woooww :O Clam down, cookie :P ....

I didn't hear anything about powerplus... I'll do a search to see what's that :P

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Chrono on 04-06-2004 at 03:59 PM

:o
i really thought that powerplus was a MS program...
Then Cookie is right :chrongue:

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by reisyboy on 04-06-2004 at 04:30 PM

I think you are right Cookie people dont have a right to complain if MS Never said they would, even though you might think it wish they had.

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Kryptonate on 04-06-2004 at 05:06 PM

I heard about Powerplus before and knew it was an addon like Plus!, but you're right about how most people believe everything they read on non-official sites.
There are e-mails going around which say that if you send it forward x-times you'll receive msn messenger 7 or another one wich says you'll receive animated emoticons you can use in msn messenger. You can't imagine how many people actually send it forward :undecided:, it's getting ridiculous.

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by bra1nwash on 04-07-2004 at 01:15 AM

yep i also received fake hotmail n MSN emails...how annoying!:@

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by DJeX on 04-07-2004 at 01:39 AM

I agree. Pepole today will belive any thing and every thing. If you told them if they stuck a knife throught there hand a majical moose will apper and tell you something good they would do it. *You will have to excuse my lame and stupid example but it just goes to show you how stupid people are.

Like when you get a chain letter or chain message on msn. People belive them. O comon you really belive a little girl will come in your room at knight and kill you. BULL!

I like to go by this little saying latly.

The world is falling appart. It's only getting worse; Never better.

So do you agree with that? Well it seems that way. Just take a look around. Listen to the News. Look at the people your with most of the time and see how and what they are doing. If you spend enough time a day just seeing what other people do and how they act. You will be surprised.

I'm soory if this is totaly off topic but it needs to be talked about.
And I'm soory if I afended any of you but its the truth.

Slashdot by stonesour on 04-07-2004 at 01:52 AM

Accurate information? *cough*Slashdot*cough*

Which reminds me...I'll have to get my mp3! article for slashdot ready :P

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by .blade// on 04-07-2004 at 01:54 AM

lol :P Well you'd be surprised at what ppl will believe. For isntance, this april fools episode of Red vs. Blue ppl though was real...it's even "28.5" instead of "29" :P

http://files.redvsblue.com/2x28_5/RvB_Episode28_5_LoRes.zip

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by CookieRevised on 04-07-2004 at 08:15 AM

well, I was actually talking about newssites, not about (bad) april fool's jokes or chainletters, that's something different and beside my point... But these are indeed examples of how people will believe anything...

My rant was about that posters at newssites should be reconsider/reread their articles before posting them to make sure nothing can be put out of context, that the info is CORRECT, etc... and if they are spreading not-confirmed newsitems (like Messenger 6.2) that they make it VERY CLEAR that all the "news" is just speculation and isn't confirmed! And if it is possible, that they update their articles if things seem to be not true, or more info is available (or post updates, that's always possible)...

I was also talking about the "war" between newssites to get the biggest and fastest headline, despite the lack of CORRECT information....

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Jeronimo on 04-07-2004 at 11:44 AM

I am going to agree with Cookie. For example, I know of at least 1 site that confirmed that animated display pictures were going to be included in MSN 6.2, to the point that they gave instructions on how to do it. Now that this has turned out to be false, we got a thread on here complaining that Messenger has taken a step backwards. Er... to be honest, it hasn't taken a step anywhere to begin with!!

And it always gets me that people complain so much about something that is provided for free, even tho it is not free to develop/maintain. Folks - Messenger is free, lets not all complain when something that is rumoured to be included isn't included just because you thought the rumour was true. :undecided:

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Menthix on 04-07-2004 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PowerPlus is just another addon, just like Plus! is. It hooks into and needs MSN Messenger just like Plus!. MS has nothing todo with it.
That's what i was thinking too, but i'm not sure anymore. Take a look at the official Korean Messenger site: http://messenger.msn.co.kr/

I can't read Korean, but i think it's highly un-usual for Microsoft to promote and even include a plugin in their own software (looks like it in that screenshot) while it would no be ther own plugin.
Also the PowerPlus site looks very much like a Microsoft site, i don't think they would have linked to it if it was a non-Microsoft related site stealing the Microsoft style ( http://www.msnplus.co.kr/ ).

quote:
Copyright ⓒ since 1999-2004 Wisepost Corp. All rights reserved.
Hmmm, not done by Microsoft itself, but they to seem to get along with eachother very well :o.
RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Kryptonate on 04-07-2004 at 06:40 PM

true, and with MS sueing everyone who has a domain looking very much like the ones from MS it's surprising this domain would be able to stay. Perhaps it's just a product of the Koreon MSN team :).

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by kingboy on 04-07-2004 at 07:05 PM

all of you are right. I mean, allmost everyday, i read stuff on news sites, and i think most of it is true, but then, a week later, i find out that it was "incorect" or something like that!

also, with the chain letters and things that go around msn, i hate those things. i recived one about an e mail address, where if you add it, you get a virus! like come on! some people just dont look things over and consider :   can this happen?   or cant it?   i get these things all the time, and its sooo annoying!

I even sent a letter to all my contacts saying that these chain letters, ect. are all fake! and belive me....it helped:)   i havnt got one in a while:P

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by CookieRevised on 04-07-2004 at 07:09 PM

It seemed that both MenthiX and I came to the same conclussion at the same time :D, read more about PowerPlus here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=23426 as this is actually off-topic here and was just an example of how things got out of hand (the display pictures). I've added a small bit to make it more correct...

The only thing changed is that MS recommends PowerPlus, nothing more.

btw, this doesn't change a bit about my view about the topic!!!

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by MC Inferno on 04-07-2004 at 10:02 PM

Its terrible how they do this. If its just speculation, tell us that, dontsay its 100% pukka! :P

(Cookie, i know this is off-topic, but i wanted to sat tar very much for helping us with PowerPlus ;))

RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by WDZ on 04-08-2004 at 04:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Hmmm, not done by Microsoft itself, but they to seem to get along with eachother very well :o.
Hmm... :dodgy:

Click here and check that search result... the site seems down, so you may have to use the cached version. :p
RE: Newssites, news, rumors, (mis)information, etc... etc... by Kryptonate on 04-08-2004 at 09:33 AM

I'm not gonna pay for it if they release it here :dodgy: