Shoutbox

[suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" (/showthread.php?tid=23652)

[suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by CookieRevised on 04-13-2004 at 02:00 PM

I know I've posted this in another thread about block checkers (and it was kind-of offtopic). But to make sure the suggestion isn't lost in the discussion, here it is again...

This suggestion is no invasion of privacy whatsoever. Also, it isn't about block-checkers, so please don't discuss it here ;)...

It would be cool if Plus! could show the real statusses of your contacts instead of "(blocked)" in the contactlist...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=226016]

If I block a person the status-icon in front changes to the blocked-icon, so I know that he/she is blocked. But also the status after the name changes to "(blocked)". I would like to see the real status: (online)/(busy)/(away)/etc...

I think this is very possible; if you look to the events window, it still will record status changes of the contacts that you have blocked. So the status changes still get send to your messenger. So this will be only a minor and good change I hope...

Do you like the suggestion?

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Jeronimo on 04-13-2004 at 02:17 PM

I don't have many people blocked, but when I do, it would be very nice to see what status they have rather than having to look in the event log, or the contact info window. Very good idea Cookie and one I am certain is very possible for Patchou to add :)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by eurorepublik on 04-13-2004 at 02:36 PM

good idea CookieRevised, i like it, but jeronimo is righ, you can just check their contact information that comes with plus to check there last changed status..

but other than that i tottaly support this, so why not.

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by saralk on 04-13-2004 at 02:58 PM

Is there a (!XX) tag that shows the status, cos then u cud do it manually

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Mnjul on 04-13-2004 at 03:11 PM

I like the idea and currently it's very possible to accomplish...

I have a blocked contact with personalised status tag "Sleeping" and in Contact List her name is shown "[Her nick] (Sleeping)" instead of "[Her nick] (Blocked)". Theoretically the function Cookie suggested should work in the same way Plus! replaces the status tag...8-)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Wabz on 04-13-2004 at 04:15 PM

Cookie Great Idea I'm all for it

I hope Patchou can manage to implement it (Y)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by BooGhost on 04-14-2004 at 01:34 AM

Really good, really nice, really simple :P

i AGREE :D

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by marissa on 04-14-2004 at 01:38 AM

i'd like this, cuz i wouldnt have to unblock the people to see their status:P...mostly all.:)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by BooGhost on 04-14-2004 at 01:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by okay
i'd like this, cuz i wouldnt have to unblock the people to see their status:P...mostly all.:)
you can right click it and chose "properties" :P
RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Concord Dawn on 04-14-2004 at 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
I like the idea and currently it's very possible to accomplish...

I have a blocked contact with personalised status tag "Sleeping" and in Contact List her name is shown "[Her nick] (Sleeping)" instead of "[Her nick] (Blocked)". Theoretically the function Cookie suggested should work in the same way Plus! replaces the status tag...8-)

Plus! Replaces the name by adding a name over the original. The (Blocked) tag is part of the MSN protocol. Therefore, I think this would be illegal.

But I don't know...
RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by CookieRevised on 04-14-2004 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chaos_grenade
Plus! Replaces the name by adding a name over the original. The (Blocked) tag is part of the MSN protocol. Therefore, I think this would be illegal.
erm, that is just the same... instead of adding a customized name over the original, now it has to add the real status over the (blocked). That's what Mnjul was talking about.
RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Weyzza on 04-15-2004 at 04:37 PM

Great idea :D:D:D

So I don't have to appear offline to see their statuses.

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Sk3tch on 04-15-2004 at 09:19 PM

Great Idea Cookie (Y)

very simple but very useful.
id like to see this implemented in Plus! :)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by dotNorma on 04-15-2004 at 10:08 PM

Great idea cookie. Would be easy to implement in plus! Patchou has already changed the "(busy)" Type things with personilized status now he just has to make their caption their real status. Very simple, Very good.

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by reisyboy on 04-15-2004 at 10:28 PM

Love the idea Cookie, espically because i often want to know if the person im unblocking is like here or not, otherwise A. there is little point in doing it now and B. Its just plain usefull :)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by chungster on 04-16-2004 at 12:17 AM

im not really for the idea but yet im not against it i jsut dont care cuz most people have a reason that they wanna block someone and why would you really need to know their status?

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by CookieRevised on 04-16-2004 at 01:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chungster
im not really for the idea but yet im not against it i jsut dont care cuz most people have a reason that they wanna block someone and why would you really need to know their status?
It's about contacts that you block yourself, not about contacts blocking you... If that is what you mean, then there are plenty reasons to know the real status of the contacts you've blocked. One big reason would be: many users groupblock contacts, so the user don't have to speak to those contacts if he/she is online (this doesn't mean the contacts are annoying or something, for example, I use groupblocking a lot when I'm testing something so I don't bother my contacts). It would be very interesting for the user to know if his blocked contacts are online or not, so he can unblock someone to speak to him/her. I know you can see this also in the eventswindow or in the contacts properties, but all in all, in this way you don't need todo extra things or search a log to know if one of your blocked contacts is online. Other reasons can be read in this thread ;)
RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by chungster on 04-16-2004 at 02:43 AM

theres an option to group offline contacts together in msn messenger couldnt youi just use that tp see if they re online or not?

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by CookieRevised on 04-16-2004 at 02:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chungster
theres an option to group offline contacts together in msn messenger couldnt youi just use that tp see if they re online or not?
Yes you could, if you like the look of that option and if you don't use groups. But even then, you can't see if a contact is busy, away, on the phone, etc...

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by chungster on 04-16-2004 at 02:49 AM

i see what you mean im just saying what things you could do before you start to do some programming

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by Patchou on 04-16-2004 at 03:09 AM

Well, its not as easy as it seems... I agree it would be a nice idea but custom statuses are in contact's names, that's why Plus! can display them.

I'll keep it in mind :)

RE: RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by zigomar10 on 04-16-2004 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I agree it would be a nice idea but custom statuses are in contact's names, that's why Plus! can display them.

:s doesn't plus get notified of the status chanes already for the event log?
RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by CookieRevised on 04-16-2004 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zigomar10
:s doesn't plus get notified of the status chanes already for the event log?
As said in various posts already:
yep... and you can also check it for 1 contact in the contacts properties, but all in all, in this way you don't need todo extra things or search a log to know if one of your blocked contacts is online. And it you have an immediate overall view of who's online. Other reasons can be read in this thread...

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Well, its not as easy as it seems... I agree it would be a nice idea but custom statuses are in contact's names, that's why Plus! can display them.
I'll keep it in mind :)
(y)

RE: [suggestion] show real status instead of "(blocked)" by CookieRevised on 10-27-2005 at 11:19 PM

shameless bumpy bump bump....

Time to revive this thread (and idea) :P