Shoutbox

Scripting in Msgplus? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Scripting in Msgplus? (/showthread.php?tid=23665)

Scripting in Msgplus? by Dr4g0n on 04-13-2004 at 04:15 PM

I have thought recently that a lot of my aliases in mIRC would be useful in msgplus as quick texts.
I have been able to use some with (!P), but this still rather limits what you can do...
Could this be implemented into Plus?

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Chrono on 04-13-2004 at 04:21 PM

scripting was going to be added to the original Messenger Plus! 2, though Patchou sent the idea to the trash can.. :P

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Wabz on 04-13-2004 at 04:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
I have thought recently that a lot of my aliases in mIRC would be useful in msgplus as quick texts.
I have been able to use some with (!P), but this still rather limits what you can do...

It's a nice idea, but i think a lot can go wrong if you implement a lot of variables and it wont be a very good for newbies who just want to enjoy Plus!

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Chrono on 04-13-2004 at 04:25 PM

old ass thread about it :P
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=1519&pid=10125#pid10125

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Dr4g0n on 04-13-2004 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n

It's a nice idea, but i think a lot can go wrong if you implement a lot of variables and it wont be a very good for newbies who just want to enjoy Plus!

it could be disabled by default?
And have a warning to newbies about it...
But its a bit late to put it into MP!3 now, ain't it??
RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by reisyboy on 04-13-2004 at 04:55 PM

hmmm depends if he gets it out one day and thinks oo thats a good idea lol :)

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Patchou on 04-13-2004 at 08:41 PM

That's why you have the plugin API :p. I know its not the same but its better than nothing :)

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Dr4g0n on 04-13-2004 at 08:47 PM

hmm, well i cant make it, i'm useless.
I'm sure it will be made one day....

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by saralk on 04-14-2004 at 10:39 AM

i think the scripting thing u announced when u were creating messenger plus 2 should be re-introduced. Because a lot of people dont have the software to create vb programs

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 04-14-2004 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
i think the scripting thing u announced when u were creating messenger plus 2 should be re-introduced. Because a lot of people dont have the software to create vb programs
The two have little to do with each other...

Even if you know VB/C++/whatever/..., some things can't be (decently) done with the current plugin-system... The scripting-system would enable almost to do anything in Plus!. That you don't need VB or any other language in that scripting-system is a bonus... Writing a good scripting-system is very hard work...

Furthermore, if you don't know VB, then use C, Dev-C (free C++ compiler) or Delphi, or any other language which supports DLL making. There is even a VBScript-framework to create plugins with (with that you don't even have to install a seperate programming language, the language comes with Windows)
RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by reisyboy on 04-14-2004 at 11:56 AM

Welll i still want that scripting idea i really liked it then and i still do, i can only dream lol :)

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 04-14-2004 at 01:54 PM

me too, I never said I don't want it :p.... on the opposite, I would realy like it if there was a (good, well thought) scripting-system... I'll dream with ya ;)

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by reisyboy on 04-15-2004 at 01:18 AM

Patchou go one please!!! lol :D. Ahhh well i hope we do im sure aslong as it was well thourght out as Cookie said it would be great :)

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Patchou on 04-15-2004 at 02:01 AM

quote:
Patchou go one please!!!
Sure... let me just agitate my magic nose to make the scripting engine appear in my left hand 8-)
RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by .blade// on 04-15-2004 at 02:04 AM

LOL! I can't believe their actually asking you to build a scripting engine....wow....that would only take 6 months of 12 hours days with no days off :P Well....depending on how intricut you make it :P

But seriously :S I don't think this is comming from Patchou any time soon :P Ask a developer with spare time.....LOTS of spare time.....and no life XD He/she might do it for you ppl :P

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 04-15-2004 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
LOL! I can't believe their actually asking you to build a scripting engine....wow....that would only take 6 months of 12 hours days with no days off :P Well....depending on how intricut you make it :P
only 6 months? blah... make it Patchou :p.... personaly I think it would take a whole lot longer... It's building a programming language from scratch :undecided:. Take mirc for example, it took years to come to the current scripting-system and it still has bugs...

But knowing this, It doesn't mean I don't have to dislike it :D... reason why I said: I'll dream on...

Although it's "reinventing the wheel", it would be nice if that "wheel" was integrated...

In the main time, I'll use the magic scripting engine from Patchou's left hand :D... may I borrow your nose also sometime? :D
RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by reisyboy on 04-15-2004 at 12:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Sure... let me just agitate my magic nose to make the scripting engine appear in my left hand 8-)
Yeh we can dream Patchou there wll come a point when you wll have time and you may want to :). But it is always one for the memory. :)
RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by .blade// on 04-15-2004 at 02:32 PM

Ya, I have to see, it looks prety much like no - there will be no MsgPlus! Personal scripting until Patchou hires his gigantic team of developers ;) :P

But if ppl want it so much, then why not a version of mybb? (I mean someone else to make there own plug-in, not patchou himself :P)

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 04-15-2004 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gigablade77
But if ppl want it so much, then why not a version of mybb? (I mean someone else to make there own plug-in, not patchou himself :P)
I don't know exactly what you mean or if you know what a scripting-engine is. But if you want a scripting-engine, it must be integrated into Plus! itself. Otherwise it will defeat the purpose of integrated scripting...

If you want to make plugins without the need of an external programming language then reread my first post in this thread and use the VBScript-plugin. (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=23...d=226559#pid226559)

PS: creating plugins without programming is impossibe. Even the hypothetic scripting-engine requires programming-knowledge...

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by Wabz on 04-16-2004 at 10:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

Hmmmm it wont appear in your hand :rolleyes:  It's a computer program :P  I think scripting would be cool for those of us who cant code for toffee

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by renio on 06-16-2004 at 06:02 AM

Can somebody confirm if this still works with MP!3 ...?
I've installed it but I doesn't work I guess... or it might be I'm bad at interpreting the VBScript samples included in the setup. Somebody have some usefull examples?

I would love to be able to change my nickname from command line, via a VBScript :d

**edit: It is listed as 'installed' in the Plug-in configuration window of MP!3...**

RE: Scripting in Msgplus? by CookieRevised on 06-16-2004 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by renio
Can somebody confirm if this still works with MP!3 ...?
I've installed it but I doesn't work I guess... or it might be I'm bad at interpreting the VBScript samples included in the setup. Somebody have some usefull examples?

I would love to be able to change my nickname from command line, via a VBScript :d

**edit: It is listed as 'installed' in the Plug-in configuration window of MP!3...**
This thread is about a scripting engine inside plus! itself. It is not about the VBhost-plugin. BTW, you don't need to post the same question in every thread about scripting.

Continue in: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=20715