Shoutbox

Microsoft vs. Plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Microsoft vs. Plus! (/showthread.php?tid=23709)

Microsoft vs. Plus! by Anubis on 04-14-2004 at 07:44 PM

I recently remember someone on the forum mentioning that Plus! was once attempted to be shut down by Microsoft...well I knew they turned a blank eye to Plus! but I never knew about this can I have some more info please?

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by reisyboy on 04-14-2004 at 07:56 PM

Well at one time they tried to shut Messenger Plus! out of MSN Messenger by disallowing it to hook in and it had to be re-thourght. That was one time :)

Guys can you tell the rest if there way some or give some more detail, i can't really remember to well :)

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Anubis on 04-14-2004 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by reisyboy
Well at one time they tried to shut Messenger Plus! out of MSN Messenger by disallowing it to hook in
Yeah I don't get the point of that...I mean Plus! encourages people to use MSN Messenger more often. They always only like stuff that's been made by Microsoft or a business partner...
RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by lylesback2 on 04-14-2004 at 08:46 PM

read more in announcement forums

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by dotNorma on 04-14-2004 at 09:28 PM

It was the release of 6.0 which was such a huge change. They changed something in their code that disallowed messenger plus! to work correctly. Patchou said it was done purposly. But Patchou eventually worked around it :)

Click Here for when Patchou posted the news

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Concord Dawn on 04-14-2004 at 11:18 PM

Of course he did. It's Patchou we're talking about here.

Oh, and Microsoft:refuck::refuck::refuck::refuck::refuck:

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by ~landsberg~ on 04-14-2004 at 11:39 PM

I think Micro$oft just wants to keep 3rd party plugins (especially Plus!) busy, they want us to work hard

They change offsets and stuff for no good reason and release another version just so patches/plugins are unusable but do not tell us with a "formal letter" we can't make our plugin,

Messenger 6 on the other hand was different the api's were changed so plus had to interact differently (thus MP!2 was born)

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by MC Inferno on 04-15-2004 at 01:06 AM

It IS in the COC though.

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by saralk on 04-15-2004 at 04:24 PM

MP!2 already existed b4 messenger 6 came out.

i think that they did something to the conversation window, to make Plus! not be able to 'see' the window

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by CookieRevised on 04-15-2004 at 05:27 PM

tbh, I don't think that MS changed it because they wanted to stop Plus!. They just rewrote the code and the UI. That Plus! couldn't hook anymore wasn't done intentionaly. (note: not a fact, but my opinion)

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by WDZ on 04-15-2004 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~landsberg~
They change offsets and stuff for no good reason
How the hell do you know their reasons for changing offsets? Just because they don't post the exact technical details of all the changes on their site, it doesn't mean they don't have good reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
tbh, I don't think that MS changed it because they wanted to stop Plus!. They just rewrote the code and the UI. That Plus! couldn't hook anymore wasn't done intentionaly. (note: not a fact, but my opinion)
I agree.
RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Patchou on 04-15-2004 at 06:51 PM

I wouldn't say Microsoft generally changes stuff in Messenger to cause my little software or any other one any trouble. Most current Messenger patches are cracks and because of that, they are extremely linked to the different Messenger builds they were created for. Messenger Plus! is different because it doesn't change the binary content of Messenger, it simply attaches to it and coexists peacefully (that's why most new Messenger version do not affect me). When Messenger 6 was released, many changes were made in the UI and even if I wouldn't say that they did it on purpose for Plus!, I'm still pretty sure that the intent was to block plugins like Plus!, and they succeeded. If you recall, several plugins were started to immitating Messenger Plus!, and it all stoped when Messenger 6 got released. So, even if it took me weeks of hard work to create a working Messenger 6 compatiblity, I can only thanks Microsoft for getting rid of the other companies who tried to profit from my success :). If Messenger Plus! was bothering them, they would already have told me about it... they currently tolerate it as it's not a hack tool, it doesn't do anything weird with the protocol, and it only brings more people to use Messenger. So, don't worry about it :).

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Wabz on 04-16-2004 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
. If Messenger Plus! was bothering them, they would already have told me about it... they currently tolerate it as it's not a hack tool, it doesn't do anything weird with the protocol, and it only brings more people to use Messenger. So, don't worry about it

Very True I wouldn't be suprised if you requested help from Microsoft to work around the Messenger 6 problem they would have helped you.  Plus!  is a great program it aint tack like some of these lesser add-ons and it's very well written.  Microsoft cant have a problem.  Still your only a little fish to them

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Anubis on 04-16-2004 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
I wouldn't be suprised if you requested help from Microsoft to work around the Messenger 6 problem
I wouldn't go that far...
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
If you recall, several plugins were started to immitating Messenger Plus!
I never heard of them...I knew some people have given a go at rewriting parts of Plus! but I didn't know anyone was successful...
RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Chrono on 04-16-2004 at 03:25 PM

Didnt u ever heard of "Advanced Messenger Plus!" ?
They wanted to earn money with it, but it was just a copy of Plus! :dodgy: and with less features :lol:
Cant remeber the company's name though :chrongue:

EDITED: Gramasoft :dodgy:
as ever, u can find more info in this thread in the archive forum http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=1710&page=1

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by WDZ on 04-16-2004 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Didnt u ever heard of "Advanced Messenger Plus!" ?
They wanted to earn money with it, but it was just a copy of Plus! :dodgy: and with less features :lol:
Cant remeber the company's name though :chrongue:
http://www.gramasoft.com/adv-msg-plus <-- seems that they took down the page... :p
RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Chrono on 04-16-2004 at 03:42 PM

lol:lol:

his program probably stopped working after the release of 6.0 :P

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by Wabz on 04-16-2004 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
lol:lol:

his program probably stopped working after the release of 6.0 :P

TBh i dont think it worked in the first place :refuck:

RE: Microsoft vs. Plus! by MC Inferno on 04-17-2004 at 12:47 AM

I dont think they'd be working together, but I'll agree with the fact they probably didnt do it to get rid of Plus! If they wanting to do that, they'd probably go through the coughts as the law IS on their side :P And as you say, they havent got a problem because you dont mess with MSN, you jus add to it (Y)