Shoutbox

Cannot find NT LDR - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cannot find NT LDR (/showthread.php?tid=23789)

Cannot find NT LDR by DJeX on 04-17-2004 at 02:36 AM

I have win XP on my other computer. When I start it I comes up with this black screen that says "cannot find NT LDR press ctrl alt delete to restart the computer".

How do I fix this and what is it?

RE: Cannot find NT LDR by bach_m on 04-17-2004 at 03:37 AM

u need the NT LDR. boot to the windows CD and have it fix it

RE: Cannot find NT LDR by PlaSmA on 04-17-2004 at 09:16 AM

i have this problem several times, i could fix it coping the file NTLDR from my other computer to the "C:\" directory.

Regards

RE: Cannot find NT LDR by MattyMooMoo on 06-16-2004 at 03:47 PM

Hey, i know this is an old thred, but i have just got this error, and putting my windows CD in does not work.... it says something along the lines of..."to boot from CD, hit any key", then i get the same message "cannot find NT LDR press ctrl alt delete to restart the computer"does anyone know how i could fix this???

Any help would be muchly appreciated!! thanks in advance :D:D

Okkie, i now have an update;

i can get the Win XP CD to work, i have no idea what i am doing :S i press "r" to repair, it opens Dos, or a program very similar and it says something along the lines of "F:\windows:>" does anyone know what i type here?

RE: RE: Cannot find NT LDR by conless on 06-17-2004 at 02:56 AM

quote:
i can get the Win XP CD to work, i have no idea what i am doing :S i press "r" to repair, it opens Dos, or a program very similar and it says something along the lines of "F:\windows:>" does anyone know what i type here?

[b]Well, what are you trying to do? When you turnen your computer on did it give you that error? or did you change motherboards???
RE: Cannot find NT LDR by matty on 06-17-2004 at 03:10 AM

I will post one fix now and more tomorrow when I am at work.

Insert your Windows XP CD and restart your computer. At the prompt to press the Enter Key (maybe another key) to enter setup, do that.

The menu along the bottom has R for repair you want to press that.

You will come to a "DOS" Screen It will say Please Select the Windows Installation you wish to log into. More times then not its C:\Windows (Unless you have installed to another directory.) You press the corresponding number for that Install. *may need to press enter after choosing the installation*

You will then be prompted for the Administrator password. Press Enter (Normall the Admin password is blank UNLESS you have changed it or set one during the Windows Installation.)

You will then be at a C:\Windows> here you want to type in
chkdsk /r *then press enter*

Also try looking at this article
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315233
Windows XP Does Not Start on a Computer That Is Configured for Dual Booting

Or this Article

quote:
Originally posted by conless
Well, what are you trying to do? When you turnen your computer on did it give you that error? or did you change motherboards???
Also to Conless, Please close your tags :P Also they are trying to boot into windows. The file that allows the computer to read an NTFS Parition is missing. Yes they get it when they turn on their computer and it boots up. And changing the motherboard has no effect on this. Oh and its not motherboards its motherboard, there is only one in the computer :P
RE: Cannot find NT LDR by illuzn on 06-17-2004 at 03:12 AM

NTLDR is a critical file to windows bootup it is needed for the computer to boot up properly. If the file is missing from your harddrive:

• create a bootdisk on somebody elses computer (2000,xp and 2003 will do)
  • make sure NTLDR is on the disk (you may have to show hidden/system files)
  • boot your computer from the disk
  • when the command from comes up type
    code:
    copy a:\NTLDR c:\
Hopefully this should work... Good luck

RE: Cannot find NT LDR by ceramic_spider on 06-17-2004 at 03:17 AM

I'll remember this because i've had this problem and my solution was a format:P

RE: Cannot find NT LDR by matty on 06-17-2004 at 03:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
NTLDR is a critical file to windows bootup it is needed for the computer to boot up properly. If the file is missing from your harddrive:
  • create a bootdisk on somebody elses computer (2000,xp and 2003 will do)
  • make sure NTLDR is on the disk (you may have to show hidden/system files)
  • boot your computer from the disk
  • when the command from comes up type
    code:
    copy a:\NTLDR c:\
Hopefully this should work... Good luck

That may not always work because sometimes its system files that are corrupted causing NTLDR is missing or corrupted.
Take a look at this article

RE: RE: Cannot find NT LDR by conless on 06-17-2004 at 05:42 AM

quote:
Also to Conless, Please close your tags :P Also they are trying to boot into windows. The file that allows the computer to read an NTFS Parition is missing. Yes they get it when they turn on their computer and it boots up. And changing the motherboard has no effect on this. Oh and its not motherboards its motherboard, there is only one in the computer :P[/size][/font]

Forgot about the tags :P
and the when changing motherboardS :P you can also get this error!
something about the cmos settings, but you will get the ntldr message.
RE: Cannot find NT LDR by matty on 06-17-2004 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by conless
Forgot about the tags :P
and the when changing motherboardS :P you can also get this error!
something about the cmos settings, but you will get the ntldr message.

No changing motherboards wont change the way windows boots unless the BIOS on the motherboard isn't detecting the HDD in that case it would say Operating System Not Found
RE: Cannot find NT LDR by MattyMooMoo on 06-17-2004 at 09:29 PM

Hey people thank you all for the support, turns out my BIOS was booting hard drives in the wrong order.....odd, does anyone know how this could have changed? Beairing in mind i am the only one who has used this computer....maybe a trojan horse or something....dunno any advise would again be welcome

RE: RE: Cannot find NT LDR by conless on 06-18-2004 at 10:22 AM

quote:
No changing motherboards wont change the way windows boots unless the BIOS on the motherboard isn't detecting the HDD in that case it would say Operating System Not Found

Yes it does, If you change your motherboard and use the same hard drive you will sometimes get the ntldr missing error, its the settings of the cmos thats causing the problem. or sometimes you get that blue screen. You will not be able to replace or add the ntldr to the HD. There is ways of fixing that but what I did just formatted my HD then reinstall windows.