Shoutbox

Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail (/showthread.php?tid=23828)

Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by dreaded on 04-18-2004 at 02:32 AM

Look at this http://www.bigblueball.com/news2/article.asp?id=554 I just wonder how you find out in your state.Might be a good idea to turn them off and for Patchou to add a statement that you might fry if you log your chats.

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by chungster on 04-18-2004 at 02:54 AM

shut up! they got nottin on me hehehehe :refuck:
b ut anyway its nice to know that i could end up in jail if i save them i guess ill check my states law*sigh* thats gonna be a lot of reading

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lopardo on 04-18-2004 at 02:56 AM

:blah!: at stupid US laws :lol:

If you chat you should know your conversation could easily be saved... And if you don't agree then you just shouldn't use it...
And how does the other person know that I'm logging the conversation if I just store it in my HD?

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by chungster on 04-18-2004 at 03:03 AM

o and i found out by reading the article and it appears i am doing soemthing illegal. heres the entire paragraph and now i have to delete my chat sessions. *sigh* no more blackmailing from me. well anyway heres the paragraph.

Clearly Detective Warchol consented to the recording he made, and MacMillan had little expectation of privacy in the chat session. But New Hampshire, like many other U.S. states including California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Pennsylvania and WASHINGTON, requires all parties to the communication to consent to a recording before it is legal. And MacMillan, while engaged in the conversation with the putative 14-year-old, did not consent to recording the conversation.

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by CookieRevised on 04-18-2004 at 05:36 AM

^o)
I suggest to the read the original atricle, before jumping to conclussions (this goes for the guys that reported it to BigBlueBall and SlashDot aswell...)

quote:
It is useful to contrast the MacMillan case with one in 2002 in Washington state which has an even more stringent all-party consent statute. In that case, Donald Townsend engaged in an ICQ session with what he believed to be a 13-year-old girl, but was in fact an undercover police officer. In permitting the introduction of the recorded ICQ session, the court noted that the ICQ technology itself had a default setting to make a permanent record of the conversation. The court found that since Townsend should have known about the default setting, he effectively consented to the making of the recording under Washington's all-party consent statute.

In the AOL chat session, there was no such default recording, and therefore no consent by Mr. MacMillan. Therefore, the recording was illegal. The test seems to be whether the recording capability is part of the instant messaging software itself (in which case it may be legal to record) or whether it is an add-on, and therefore an unlawful recording. (Hmmm... this means if you use the Plus! logs it is illegal, if you use the MSN logs it is legal)

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
And how does the other person know that I'm logging the conversation if I just store it in my HD?
Storing on HD IS logging...
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by DXtremz on 04-18-2004 at 05:45 AM

That doesn't exactly make sense. I mean, MSN can log, it's built into MSN, so if you have an addon that logs as well, it's logging the same thing MSN is, so does it really matter? Who's to say that's illegal, it's doing the SAME exact thing. I could understand if perhaps the software doesn't come with logging by default...but when it does, is it really an issue?

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by -mj_girl- on 04-18-2004 at 05:56 AM

i dont get that...its your comp u can do whatever you want. :bana:

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lopardo on 04-18-2004 at 05:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Storing on HD IS logging...
I meant the other person won't know if I'm logging the conversation, whether with Plus or by copy-pasting...

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by DXtremz on 04-18-2004 at 05:59 AM

According to this article yes... But the thing is, when you sign up for any of this software, you know that it allows logging, MSN for example has the capability to log, regaurdless of if it is default or not, when you chat with someone you know they have the capability to be logging you, because it is built into MSN, even if they don't use Plus! Therefore if someone DOES use Plus!, and it is logging, the person doesn't necessarily know you are using Plus!, but they know you are using MSN, therfore they know that you have the potential to log them, it's like a nonverbal agreement...you just "know" they can log you...This all sounds so stupid :-/

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lopardo on 04-18-2004 at 06:01 AM

That's exactly what I was talking about...

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by DXtremz on 04-18-2004 at 06:04 AM

quote:
That's exactly what I was talking about...

Yes I know, but you also said "how does the user know I am logging them" the point is, they don't need to know, they should just assume, since the KNOW that you are using software that supports it. Again, when they use the software, they know that it supports logging, there is some sort of nonverbal agreement you know :-/
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lopardo on 04-18-2004 at 06:06 AM

But even if you use some software which doesn't support logging by itself, you can copy-paste the text, so it's the same...

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by DXtremz on 04-18-2004 at 06:08 AM

Yes, however, since this isn't a "feature" built into the software, you can't really use that as an excuse, well you could , but it wouldn't hold up in any legal court :p

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lopardo on 04-18-2004 at 06:11 AM

Conclusion: this doesn't make any sense at all... :lol: :dodgy:

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by CookieRevised on 04-18-2004 at 06:14 AM

quote:
But even if you use some software which doesn't support logging by itself, you can copy-paste the text, so it's the same...
That's the whole point... It is not the same!! If the program you use to chat doesn't have a log-system then logging/copying/storing is illegal (in those states)!!! Of course the other person doesn't know that you do this, but again, that was the point in that lawsuite... The guy from who the chat was logged by the police was arrested and the log was used as evidence... read the full article ;)
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by chungster on 04-18-2004 at 07:12 AM

[offtopic] on http://MESSENGER.MSN.COM/HELP/AUTHORIZED.ASPX it says that the web based messengers are illegal [/offtopic]

ok i read the microsoft privacy policy on http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Privacy.aspx and it came up with nothing about an agreement about the recording messages thing

then i read the microsoft terms and conditions on http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Terms.aspx and found nothing about this subject

after that i read the terms and conditions on the msn messenger setup and found nothing

my conclusion is that there is no actual agreement because if there was you have to have a warning somewhere and even if its somewhere that most people dont bother to read and if im wrong please correct me but before you correct me and i admit im wrong you need to show me some proof.

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Weyzza on 04-18-2004 at 09:35 AM

DX is right.
MSN does offer a feature to save the conversation.

Now think about this....
Sometimes the chat log would be useful for parents who monitor with whom their children have conversation.

Or the chat log could be used as an evidence of a crime.
I remember a sister who asked in this forum how to get her brother's deleted chat log back, so she could give it to the police as an evidence.

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by DXtremz on 04-18-2004 at 01:25 PM

Exactly, If a program supports it, then the other person chatting with you KNOWS that. They should be held responsible for thier actions!

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Anubis on 04-18-2004 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -mj_girl-
i dont get that...its your comp u can do whatever you want.
[offtopic]OK...so if I want to hack someone or download a movie off a P2P that's ok?[/offtopic]
I don't see the point in this ruling because it's just as good as saying "after you talk to your mates forget the entire convocations ever happened from your mind" perhaps MSN may take chat logging out of 6.2, but since it's so close to being finished I doubt it and I don't use MSN's chat logging because Plus!'s logging is far more size efficient...
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lylesback2 on 04-18-2004 at 03:19 PM

* lylesback2 is proud to be canadian... canada allows big problems slip under there nose, like downloading, and maryjane

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by M-Head on 04-18-2004 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
* lylesback2 is proud to be canadian... canada allows big problems slip under there nose, like downloading, and maryjane
* m-head moves to Canada
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Anubis on 04-18-2004 at 04:20 PM

Yeah chances are Canada won't care if this law comes out...I doubt the UK will be influenced either...

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by zappy004 on 04-18-2004 at 04:36 PM

yep... these are US-only laws... and i dont understand why!!!

can somebody explain me WHY it is considered illegal?
is what the other person saying copyrighted?

anyway... i'm happy to live in quebec, i dont live with stress and with weird laws on things that can not be verified anyway!

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by crank on 04-18-2004 at 05:10 PM

I hope you know that since MSN Messenger 6.1.0155 it is possible to save your conversation easy.
^o) I hope I'm right cause I didn't check it or something like that.

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by lylesback2 on 04-18-2004 at 05:31 PM

but MSN started coming with chat log option since 5.0 right?  so microsoft breaks the law once again, not patchou, plus it's an OPTION,it's not manditory...

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by DXtremz on 04-18-2004 at 06:11 PM

The US has a lot of stupid laws to protect a lot of stupid people, seems like some people here in the US can't think for themselves so they have to have lawyers do it for them...(I live here BTW).

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Patchou on 04-18-2004 at 06:44 PM

Don't worry about that... it's one of the many laws created by people in the governement who do not know what they are really talking about. They are the same kind of people who judged that by the law, Microsoft is required to release the source of some of its code in Europe (true story, that's sooooo dumb).

Logging is not about to be removed from any chat software, including Plus! :).

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Anubis on 04-18-2004 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Logging is not about to be removed from any chat software, including Plus!
Very glad to here so :D
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
the source of some of its code in Europe (true story, that's sooooo dumb)
[offtopic] Yeah I know...these people will also when there's a huge security problem be the first to say that hackers are being cracked down on when they've virtually handed the hacker all they want on a plate [/offtopic]
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by CookieRevised on 04-19-2004 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lylesback2
but MSN started coming with chat log option since 5.0 right?  so microsoft breaks the law once again, not patchou, plus it's an OPTION,it's not manditory...
No, MSN doesn't break the law... reread the thread ;)
If a chat-program has a built-in log-system or something were you can save the current conversation, using/creating those logs is legal. If the program doesn't support any kind of logging, then creating a log (with a screenshot for example) is illegal...
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by LITHIA on 04-19-2004 at 04:49 PM

(sorry if i missed anything, i only read the first few posts)

I think that law is pretty weird really - I would have thought chat logging would be supported due to the fact it can be used for evidence, regardless of the privacy issue.

But because of this law in these states (which doesn't include me because I live in England ;)) I believe a safety measure should be taken.

I think at the start of the conversation, if logging is enabled, the user you're talking to should be notified that the chat session will be logged and that they consent to this if they wish to chat. (if they prefer not, get them to notify the person they're talking to, to disable the logging in that session).
A handy log on/off feature in Plus! would be good too, just to target specific conversations.

Or something along those lines would be good - even though its fine as it is now because MSN Messenger has the ability to log messages without the aid of Plus! so, yes, the user does acknowledge that they are using MSN and has to consent to the fact it CAN be logged.

Anyone like the idea though of flexiable logging?

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by saralk on 04-19-2004 at 05:10 PM

u already can

[Image: attachment.php?pid=228715]

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by CookieRevised on 04-19-2004 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LITHIA
(sorry if i missed anything, i only read the first few posts)
I think that law is pretty weird really - I would have thought chat logging would be supported due to the fact it can be used for evidence, regardless of the privacy issue.
It can be used in court... Please reread the whole thread... this is explained many times before...

quote:
I think at the start of the conversation, if logging is enabled, the user you're talking to should be notified that the chat session will be logged and that they consent to this if they wish to chat. (if they prefer not, get them to notify the person they're talking to, to disable the logging in that session).
I don't agree... Since Messenger has already a log-system, chats can be logged regardless if the user has plus or not. This means the contact still know that the chats can be logged. (already explained by DXtremz)

quote:
A handy log on/off feature in Plus! would be good too, just to target specific conversations.
You can already enable/disable logging for specific conco's (Plus > "Log this chat"). EDIT: saralk beat me to it :p

PS: in short (and in general) please reread the thread and read all posts before replying, as many things are already said before...
RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by paperless on 06-10-2004 at 11:13 PM

Well i can understand why that law was created but i think it's just stupid..:lol

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Millenium_edition on 06-11-2004 at 07:47 PM

what's next? you can't log your statuses either?
how stupid can the US court be?

"woops my finger slipped." "I'm going to sue you"

RE: Save a Chat Log, Go to Jail by Concord Dawn on 06-11-2004 at 07:49 PM

May I just point out that the US has probably the STUPIDEST president on the entire planet? This law makes no sense whatsoever. If the person wants to log the chat, they're going to log it. The police primarily go after people who are known/suspected criminals. This law is another reason why I live in

CANADA!!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: